Worst Sounding Cars in GT6

The Sauber C9 is by far the WORST sounding car in the game. I just cannot drive this car in GT6. I refuse. It sounds nothing like the real car. Forza has done a much better and accurate engine sound on the C9.
I'd say the Alfa Romeo 155 DTM / Touring Car is worse on account of being equally inaccurate, but sounding outright unpleasant with it - I remember being utterly repulsed by it online in GT5 once (thankfully it crashed...). And the (real) C9 is a favourite of mine.

The Tajima Monster E-Car. (In the recent-ish seasonal at Ogre Nordwand)
A car with zero Engine note? Shockingly reprehensible behaviour!

If you've never heard the Ferrari FXX, give this a listen. It is in the dictionary under the definition of "aural sex". It is one of the most ferocious sounding cars ever made IMO. In GT6...yeah not so much:tdown:👎 To say they missed the mark on this one would imply that the mark was ever in sight. It wasn't.

It's incredibly dull and quiet for something that can out-accelerate a Peugeot 908. I had to put on some racing exhausts so I don't end up falling asleep and veer off the track.

I'd say the Alfa Romeo 155 DTM / Touring Car is worse on account of being equally inaccurate, but sounding outright unpleasant with it - I remember being utterly repulsed by it online in GT5 once (thankfully it crashed...). And the (real) C9 is a favourite of mine.

Yep, it's that awful synthetic sound from I think GT2 days?

I'd say the Holden Commodore V8. When you put a racing exhaust in it, it sounds just like a Toyota FT86 with a racing exhaust, AKA a sowing machine! Another car that I COMPLETELY despise is the Subaru BRZ with the racing exhaust; when you put it on, you have absolutely no sound... ANYWHERE!

Yep, it's that awful synthetic sound from I think GT2 days?
The Alfa only got that sound from GT4 (shared it with many others too).
In GT2 it was a high-pitched cry of pain.
Certainly in the replays at least.

Never mind...could be worse.

I especially like how they made the E46 M3 GTR road car sound like a cross-plane V8 when it has a flat-plane engine, because it's the reverse of their usual trick.

But then T10 did the same.

That made me question whether the road car had a different engine, but it certainly has the P60 (and not, say, the S62). I doubt BMW would go to the trouble of making bespoke camshafts and cranks for the limited number of road cars they made, since parts are not interchangeable between the P60 and the M60 / M62 V8s that "preceded" it for several reasons. :dopey:

No EQ boost of any combination of frequency ranges can change the incorrect impulse chain, and even if it could it wouldn't change anything about the sound in GT6.

Putin is still laughing...

The worst part is; in GT5 it actually sounded more like a cross plane V8 than it does now:

:boggled:

PGR4 is both better and more accurate than either, though, in terms of the overall scheme / sound design, and ignoring the control issues:

Yes the Sound of the FXX is really horrible in GT6 I dont know what they did there.... And ist really possible to get it right ! here is a good example. Skip to 1:25 for exahust Sound.

Well one thing for sure is that GT6 manages to be the worst by far, which for a very well funded first party AAA title isn't really acceptable.

These new sounds better be good because everything is resting on them.

Any improvement would be welcome at this stage, it just depends on what people are expecting. Don't expect PD to do things the same way as everyone else, is all I would say, for better or for worse. ;)

How they do it is not of concern to most people I would imagine, the only concern is the end result.

I'm pretty sure most people are resigned to the fact they won't be improved for GT6, however if they come out with the new method on PS4 and things are status quo on the PS4 game then we have problems.

Worst sounding car in GT6? All of them. Not even the praised 787B sounds authentic. Sure, it idles like a 4-rotor wankel, but I can make that same noise with my mouth. Can't think of a single car that sounds good.

Worst sounding car in GT6? All of them. Not even the praised 787B sounds authentic. Sure, it idles like a 4-rotor wankel, but I can make that same noise with my mouth. Can't think of a single car that sounds good.
The '69 Camaro Race Car sounds pretty good. But it has the same sound sample of a dozen other cars so... there's that :indiff:

How they do it is not of concern to most people I would imagine, the only concern is the end result.

I'm pretty sure most people are resigned to the fact they won't be improved for GT6, however if they come out with the new method on PS4 and things are status quo on the PS4 game then we have problems.

I don't know, the end result is contingent on the process used, so perhaps people should care. Besides, plenty of people try to attribute "blame" for their disappointment with the current product to some kind of procedural aspect, real or imagined.

You raise an interesting point, though. For example, if we assume that my dreams are met and PD implement the end goal I have in mind for my own experiments in game / car sounds, then there are several fold more ways that things can go wrong, in terms of the creative workflow. That means PD's legendary attention to detail could have lots of space to run free.

Of course, a good deal of that is potentially avoided by the way such a system will respond to naïve input of parameters from the real car - it should just work if the numbers are right, a bit like a good physics engine (which is really all it actually would be). In theory, you could get very close on most cars without even auditioning them, let alone tuning them against a reference (recordings). Not fool-proof, but probably slightly fool-retardant, unlike the current system of just choosing from the existing database of legacy sample sets (excluding the Hudson).

Obviously the end result is what matters, and we're all perhaps a bit too keen to see what it is by now!

I'd say the Holden Commodore V8. When you put a racing exhaust in it, it sounds just like a Toyota FT86 with a racing exhaust, AKA a sowing machine! Another car that I COMPLETELY despise is the Subaru BRZ with the racing exhaust; when you put it on, you have absolutely no sound... ANYWHERE!

& the Holden Monaro. I call those racing mufflers they have vacuum cleaner mufflers. On the Monaro I use stock, sports & semi racing for the exhausts. On the Commodore I use Sports & Semi racing. What is funny is Semi racing on both cars sounds like a old racing Skyline muffler. I guess because Holden & Nissan used to be on a joint venture over 20 years ago.

And sports sounds like a V8 Supercar which is what I use most of the time on the Commodore.

Last edited:
I find that the worst sounding exhaust is usually racing and the best sounding exhaust is the sports one.

Audi R18 TDI, whose engine sound is the same from the R10. actually i dont know any decent engine sound(Audi R18) from any other game, all them suck.

That's because you really need an extra sound source for Diesels: the combustion noise (auto-ignition) radiating from the block. You're lucky if games model the intake and exhaust separately, externally at least, never mind something that's classically ignored (because it's usually relatively quiet in spark-ignition engines). In this case, you could get away with lumping it with the mechanical noise of the engine (like you can with spark ignition), but that mechanical sound only really changes with engine speed, and only slightly with the torque it's generating - whereas the combustion noise literally follows your right foot. So you really need four sources: mechanical, combustion, intake and exhaust.

It's not that difficult to record it all in action, but mapping all four sources (or more if you're being extra fancy and recording chassis-borne engine noise for internal views) in the right way in-game is a pain, especially if it's difficult to isolate the individual sources from each other in the recordings. That's because all four sources have different dependencies on "throttle" position and rpm.

The other way it can be done is to increase the variation in throttle position recordings; so instead of just on and off throttle recordings, which seem to suffice most of the time, you'd have to introduce several part-throttle recordings to blend between. That might only be necessary for interiors, but separate interior recordings requires more memory or less quality for a given system.

If you were modeling the engine (i.e. a "simulation"), the four sources can be generated separately and the controls can be physically modeled also. It's harder to do it that way, though, especially when it comes to "mixing" the resulting sources in a spatially believable way, but once that work's been done, you'd have a very powerful tool indeed.

Back