Would you pay to unlock all cars immediately? [poll]

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 134 comments

Would you pay a small amount in order to unlock all the cars in GT5?

• Yes

Votes: 66 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 356 84.4%

• Total voters

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
After playing this game so long and looking back, do you really still like the fact that you have to toil through a career mode for virtual money and cycle to sit through countless UCD refreshes just to find the one car you want?

I like a career mode as much as the next guy, of course it's fun to "earn" cars through a rewarding credit or bonus system but when it comes to the whole random UCD lot cycle, it seems like too much now. While I love the idea of used cars, I don't like the idea of having 800 of them thrown into the same system where you never know what you're going to get and really aren't guaranteed to get it. And I understand this builds car rarity and some people really love that, but if you wanna make a car rare, make it more expensive, don't make it a lottery imo.

This very basic aspect of GT5 never bugged me until now, when I try running racing series and not every one can have the cars we want to run (check sig for link) because they're standards. But in Forza (which already allows you to buy cars with actual money btw. I don't support that at all, it's either let me pay for it all at once, or not at all) I can use credits to buy every car, it's right there waiting for me at any time and at auctions I can get pretty much all of them even cheaper. In PC sims (save for iRacing of course) when I buy the game, not only do I instantly have access to all the cars, but I can also download a million mod cars from people all over the world, anything, free, now!

I know paying for content that's already on the disk is pretty tragic to consider most of the time (remember cheat codes? Ah - we didn't know how well we had it) but with GT5 there's just so much content I really wouldn't mind paying like a dollar or two, maybe four, in order to skip all the hooplah of grinding for credits, having a 20 mil cap, not being able to trade anything I want, etc.

So, what would you say to that, think it's time we grew out of this "feature"? Would it place GT5 in a more serious light where it's less game and more race? Would you be against that? How much would you be willing to pay if you would agree to it?

Thoughts -

Last edited:
I like it like that and would still collect rather pay or have the option to pay. It's rewarding when you've got every car.

As I've said before.

I believe in having to earn credits to by the car, I have no problem with that at all.

I do agree that the cars should be readily available for purchase though.
It would still take an age to own each car if they did unlock it.

I don't think they would unlock them at this late stage. They may change the system next iteration though.

Bleh, don't make me get all figurative here. The cars are "locked" in that you must have credits in order to "unlock" them.

But, I mean, what's the shortest amount of time that someone could possibly aquire all cars in GT5 in?

It would take a few days at the very least, of constant calculated playing. Paying for it to be all right there right away? Seconds.

GTPorsche
What's the point of unlocking what isn't locked to begin with?

Sorry for double post ( unless I'm ninja'd)

The op is talking about readily available cars of which probably 80% are not readily available. Hence potentially locked for immediate purchase.

That's what I read into it.

Wardez
And yes, what Spag says.

I'm not saying spend real money. Although if someone was prepared then that's ok.

Just a dealership for each manufacturer that's open for regular in game credits.

I see now. Hopefully GT6 changes the way cars are managed in dealers. In fact, I'd prefer if it went back to dealers based on country instead of a mass grouping in one dealer menu. The way GT1 and GT2 had it was perfect. New cars, used cars(although I wouldn't mind if used cars were eliminated in favor of having every car in the game new) and special cars, along with the manufacturer specific tuner shops that included the race mods.

Maybe it's nostalgia though....

I would very much like to be able to buy standard cars new. The UCD system is a disaster in my opinion. 80 % of the cars in the game are unavailable at any given time, wtf is that about?
The OCD was very nice but lately it only seems to offer 10 cars at a time, and the last selections have been appaling.
If PD tried to "sell" me standard cars it would be their last mistake towards me as a customer.

PD is not EA, and game is not Need for speed.

This isn't about purchasing time saver packs. This is about being able to have every car readily available to buy as long as you have the credits to do so.

Also, that credit cap needs to go away as well. It's silly not being able to have unlimited amounts of credit at any given time. It really adds unnecessary longevity to the game.

Well it's both actually. Both being able to pay a small amount to simply have everything instantly, like a god mode cheat and that being inspired because of the UCD mess.

But I'd agree that simply allowing us to buy all the cars from dealerships by country, readily available, would be best. But I don't think we'll have to worry about that in the next GT since GT5 standards are just ported over GT4 and GT PSP cars anyway, what're they gonna do, port over premiums to the next gen system and call them standards there? I don't imagine the disparity between this generation of cars and the next one to be quite as large as the one between GT5 S and P cars, at least if GT6 comes out early on in the next Playstation's life.

But the poll already shows that people are a lot more in favor of not having to pay, but I think that's just misguided angst, what if you really love GT but don't have the time to sit there and grind for credits? Wouldn't it be ok to just let some of those folks buy it? I mean, would you feel like you had to buy it and it would detract from your moral seeking methods of only earning your cars more fundamentally?

And as I said before, I guess this isn't common knowledge amongst folks who don't play Forza at all, but you can buy separate credit lines in order to instantly buy cars rather than use the career mode credit bank you earn separately, so it's not just EA.

And in-fact, there's already huge grey market background credit exchange providers out there that you can pay money for them to transfer game credits into your account with.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111012030037AATClBD

I'd vote for an option to have a more balanced UCD. I wanted both the 2J and 2D and they turned up together in the UCD, So I bought one and then waited an age for the other one to turn up again. I'd rather have all cars turn up in roughly the same frequency as each other and a much larger UCD with a bigger turn over per 'day'. Say 10 cars per day and 100 cars in the lot.

I believe in having to earn credits to by the car, I have no problem with that at all.

I do agree that the cars should be readily available for purchase though.
This.

I have no issues in having to earn credits in game before I can buy a car, but I want all cars to be available for purchase at all times.

daan
This.

I have no issues in having to earn credits in game before I can buy a car, but I want all cars to be available for purchase at all times.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's nice to have rare cars, too.

Well it's both actually. Both being able to pay a small amount to simply have everything instantly, like a god mode cheat and that being inspired because of the UCD mess.

But I'd agree that simply allowing us to buy all the cars from dealerships by country, readily available, would be best. But I don't think we'll have to worry about that in the next GT since GT5 standards are just ported over GT4 and GT PSP cars anyway, what're they gonna do, port over premiums to the next gen system and call them standards there? I don't imagine the disparity between this generation of cars and the next one to be quite as large as the one between GT5 S and P cars, at least if GT6 comes out early on in the next Playstation's life.

But the poll already shows that people are a lot more in favor of not having to pay, but I think that's just misguided angst, what if you really love GT but don't have the time to sit there and grind for credits? Wouldn't it be ok to just let some of those folks buy it? I mean, would you feel like you had to buy it and it would detract from your moral seeking methods of only earning your cars more fundamentally?

Then you trade in the game you clearly don't have time to play.

You've already paid for every car in the game. It's called the purchase price you paid in the first place.

You win races, you receive credits, you spend credits on cars. That is the essence of GT

The only thing wrong with GT in this regard is the level restriction of buying cars. That is silly.

I would pay for stealths and chromelines but as that's not possible I've given up on the desire to own every car in gt5, that said the unavailability of standard cars is annoying almost as annoying as knowing that as I'll never be able to got stealths and chromelines I'll never be able to have a complete garage.

No way - earning money and buying cars is a huge part of the appeal of any racing game for me. It makes me feel like I'm working towards something - assembling a garage of my dream cars.

I've actually grown to like the UCD. It's fun seeing which cars show up this time, next time, etc. It gets me to browse through a lot of stuff I'd skip over if they were all available all the time.

I agree to credits and having to buy cars, in GT Mode. In arcade mode all cars should be there and available to drive like in Forza.

I don't really endeavour to buy a particular car. I have to admit to trading for some in the GTP marketplace such as the XJ220 - I really wanted it.

However, I find nothing more rewarding than checking the UCD and finding some awesome car has just appeared!

I would pay for special cars (stealth and chromelines) but I wouldn't want money to be able to buy all the cars. Sometimes you feel that you could won every car in the game, but most of the time I feel that collecting cars is much more enjoyable.

Nope.

Would take half the fun away from GT. With the seasonals paying huge money and the possibility to dupe cars/tickets, getting any car in 0/0/0 condition in a reasonable amount of time is possible and quite easy.

Love the UCD OCD hunt and the worn out feel of high mileage cars compared to new ones.

I love my little pokemons.

JSilvaGT
NO!
I would like a secret menu like in the prologue.

Wow I had totally forgot about the secret menu from gt5p, I bet gt5 has something similar which would probably have something a bit like the event creator so many people seem to want. :-(

Back