WRC 4 - October 2013

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 441 comments
WRC 4 is now £11.99 in the PSN Easter sale (£10.79 for PS+ users).
That would be great. It's not available on psn here in the states. I just checked. It's costing me $54 to get it over here. That was the cheapest price for a new copy I could find. It went up to $200. Next up, build another pc and get rbr. Lol

So this just released last week for the Vita on the US PlayStation store (not sure about the PS3 version). If you are a Vita owner like myself and have been waiting since 2012 for a great racing title, your prayers have finally been answered. I bought it yesterday and have not been able to put it down. Aside from missing a few stages (I think), this game is feature-for-feature even with the console version. Controls & physics are tight, framerate is solid, and the graphical nose dive in quality from console to handheld isn't anywhere near as steep as I had expected. It actually looks very good on the small display. Compared to last year's Vita port, this is a much more complete game. At a time when Sony has basically given up on triple-A exclusives, and developers seem to think indie games are all the system is good for, seeing a console-quality rally game on Vita is a huge deal. I'm just glad it exists :)

I'd heard some good things from a friend over in the US who bought WRC3 for the Vita. Good to see that it improved further with WRC4.

Enjoy.

Sorry to but in on a conversation happening about Vita, but is there any news at all ever about WRC5 yet? Milestone were so good at communicating MGP14's status (issues aside) yet WRC4 and a possible WRC5 have been appallingly late in terms of announcements..

Well, I think the MGP'14 was the exception - they've always been pretty quiet about their games, only really talking about it on Italian sites. Previously we've had to rely on Italian members here to post early info up. It's also usually around October when the game comes out, so still plenty of time yet.

Mind you, Team VVV are always pretty quick off the mark - could be an idea to keep an eye on them, even if Alan is more interested in F1 games now.

Last edited:
So this just released last week for the Vita on the US PlayStation store (not sure about the PS3 version). If you are a Vita owner like myself and have been waiting since 2012 for a great racing title, your prayers have finally been answered. I bought it yesterday and have not been able to put it down. Aside from missing a few stages (I think), this game is feature-for-feature even with the console version. Controls & physics are tight, framerate is solid, and the graphical nose dive in quality from console to handheld isn't anywhere near as steep as I had expected. It actually looks very good on the small display. Compared to last year's Vita port, this is a much more complete game. At a time when Sony has basically given up on triple-A exclusives, and developers seem to think indie games are all the system is good for, seeing a console-quality rally game on Vita is a huge deal. I'm just glad it exists :)
It's great, isn't it? I bought the retail version earlier this year and I can't stop playing it! :P I'm only on my first season of WRC in the career mode but I've done a season of JWRC and WRC2 each.

Sorry to but in on a conversation happening about Vita, but is there any news at all ever about WRC5 yet? Milestone were so good at communicating MGP14's status (issues aside) yet WRC4 and a possible WRC5 have been appallingly late in terms of announcements..
I've heard rumblings that someone other than Milestone are developing it now. I did find a report on it somewhere in French but despite my mediocre French i could gather that it was apparently being developed at some developer I've never heard of and with be released sometime in 2015. Hope it's not true because Milestone are finally starting to do things well and I would have loved to see what they could have done on new gen

Would you have a link to it? :D

Took a screenshot while playing on one of the Sweden Stages.

aaYWS7l.png

Weird why they post up a picture from a completely different game...

I also thought that as Milestone had the WRC license for this last, one game, then no one else could do anything with that, unless that got sold along with the rights to Big Ben.

And I agree, it is a shame as Milestone had struggled with bad press but managed to get through two very decent games in the end. Not that the first two weren't, just not as pretty or as tight on the physics side.

The physics in WRC 2 were actually quite good, but the default setups were abysmal, similar story for the next two as well and may have been in the 2010 game but I didn't play it

The physics in WRC 2 were actually quite good, but the default setups were abysmal, similar story for the next two as well and may have been in the 2010 game but I didn't play it
Yeah, I drop back to play the first and occasionally the second game for specific country stages such as Japan and Australia (and if I'm feeling masochistic, Jordan with the track along the ridge.) The physics doesn't feel that different with a controller, though I feel that there is a stronger difference between surface types in both 3 and 4.

Thank you @doyley101 I had not seen this before, I wonder how credible this information is (not slating you, just curious) the piece in the Codies forums about "WRC 2014" being for 3DS, is very strange.

The WRC promoters new and old seem to be in self-destruct mode lately, and have been for almost a decade now.

Why is it Milestone haven't bothered to tell us (even informally) that there will be no game for 2014, and a game in 2015 from some new company.

It's a shame as I look forward every year to the latest cars (liveries) and now we have to wait until at least Early '15 and probably October '15 for a new game. Very sad. But at least some information has been recovered from somewhere.

At least PC users can mod WRC4 I guess, sadly my PC can only run WRC4 in Low settings, so there's no point.

Finally got my copy of WRC4, saw it for £14 so would be rude to say no.

My first real rally game since the ps2 days and i gota say i'm loving it!

Graphics could be a little sharper and the sound could be better but after playing all 3 DIRT games and being completely let down by the stages it's nice to have some decent length stages that are are also quite interesting (a few too many hairpins tho lol)

Just moved up to WRC2 in career mode and really starting to enjoying it, agh it feels good to be back rallying!!!:)

The first 4 of the 5 PS2 games were brilliant. 2>4 especially so. I see these 4 Milestone games as a continuation/progression of the PS2 series of games.

@TypeRDC5 if you think the graphics aren't good enough, don't even touch WRC1/2 (PS3) lol. I found them playable, but when you return to them after WRC3&4 it's shocking :P

Should I get WRC4 or not (X360)? I find the reviews biased. I'm spoiled by the likes of FM4. So graphics aside, is the game a good experience audio and physics wise?

Should I get WRC4 or not (X360)? I find the reviews biased. I'm spoiled by the likes of FM4. So graphics aside, is the game a good experience audio and physics wise?
Physics yes, audio is better than with WRC 3 but it will irk the purists out there.

You're right though, the reviews seem to make no sense. It's a good game and deserves better.

...a few too many hairpins tho lol...
Yeah, I got that impression too, though it does become a lot of fun with the bigger, better cars.

Right.. so I'm led to believe the audio is nowhere as good as FM4 or Dirt 3. Hmm, that's really important to me, and at times it actually breaks the experience, if sound isn't up to par. I don't want it to sound like "game engine sounds", I prefer real-life accuracy and that's when the game not just sounds realistic but feels realistic. Will take some time to decide on this one.

In one word mate : Yes!.

The sounds are by far better than 1>3, and for me only the MINI engine sounds "unrealistic" the other 3 cars (Hyundai, Citroen & VW) are fine. IMO WRC4 engine sounds are on par with Dirt3 for sound and realism. Maybe I'm missing something.

Personally sound while important wouldn't be the decision maker, if it was I'd never have bought GT5 or GT6 ;P. But if it is a decision maker for you, you should still get WRC4 for sure.

The physics again are the best of the 4 games, and again IMO WRC3&4 both are better or at least equal to Dirt3 in terms of physics - realism and enjoyability.

I must stress to prevent anyone sparking an arguement about whether I'm right or wrong, I have stated these are my opinions :), not fact. But I think I know at least enough to know what I'm talking about.

The first 4 of the 5 PS2 games were brilliant. 2>4 especially so. I see these 4 Milestone games as a continuation/progression of the PS2 series of games.

@TypeRDC5 if you think the graphics aren't good enough, don't even touch WRC1/2 (PS3) lol. I found them playable, but when you return to them after WRC3&4 it's shocking :P

Haha yeah i did play the demo for the first one i think it was, the graphics were bad but the audio was even worse from what i remember!!

Loving it so far tho brings back memories of the glory days of rally games ( the ps2 era)

Right.. so I'm led to believe the audio is nowhere as good as FM4 or Dirt 3. Hmm, that's really important to me, and at times it actually breaks the experience, if sound isn't up to par. I don't want it to sound like "game engine sounds", I prefer real-life accuracy and that's when the game not just sounds realistic but feels realistic. Will take some time to decide on this one.
I'd go with what Ipswich is saying. I've no idea what Forza 4 sounds like, so I can't compare. It is however akin to D3, like he says, which is pretty much a game engine sound.

The intro sound to WRC4 though (where it tells you to press start), is pure tickle the base of the spine stuff - but I wouldn't get the game just for that ;)

See if you can find some good quality gameplay footage to help you decide.
Yeah but the devs seem to have never made a racing game before, which doesn't fill me with hope...
That is a bit worrying for me too...we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Hard to tell if it is good news or not. Milestone have had a crack at it and made an average rally game, perhaps the new studio will surprise us all and make a blinding game. I won't hold my breath but I won't expect the worst just yet.

Well guys... thanks for your opinions. I read a review or two again. Checked out several gameplay vids. I'm just not impressed.. the physics seem OK, the graphics are not impressive at all (reminds me of Race Pro on the X360) and the sound... well, it does the job I suppose but it certainly doesn't have the same level of thrill as you would expect from Dirt 3 or an actual rally race on TV.

Looks like I'll be skipping this.. I've already wasted cash on games that are collecting dust: Grid II, GA, F1 2011, SBK, Shift 2 etc.

I suppose I'll just stick to my oh so precious FM4 and Dirt 3 for now! :lol:

Well guys... thanks for your opinions. I read a review or two again. Checked out several gameplay vids. I'm just not impressed.. the physics seem OK, the graphics are not impressive at all (reminds me of Race Pro on the X360) and the sound... well, it does the job I suppose but it certainly doesn't have the same level of thrill as you would expect from Dirt 3 or an actual rally race on TV.

Looks like I'll be skipping this.. I've already wasted cash on games that are collecting dust: Grid II, GA, F1 2011, SBK, Shift 2 etc.

I suppose I'll just stick to my oh so precious FM4 and Dirt 3 for now! :lol:
Get Richard Burns Rally if you want a good rally game. Though it doesn't have anywhere near the career mode of WRC4, RBR is a much better game otherwise.

Back