You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Genuinely had no idea they sold a saloon/sedan variant of the E11 Corolla here in Europe:

front-1.jpg

back-1.jpg

^ Still better than the one we had in Manila:

Philippine-spec
20141101102500-2f45fa407999a514b6cedf49a26fb34e.jpg

1998-Toyota-Corolla--private-2142551_2.jpg

-> But the E11 had the most versions ever in Corolla's history:

Asian/Japanese-spec
1995_Toyota_Corolla_01.jpg

COROLLA005R.jpg

North American-spec
corolla_98.jpg

1998-corolla-us-12.jpg

:indiff:

Genuinely had no idea they sold a saloon/sedan variant of the E11 Corolla here in Europe:

View attachment 255796

View attachment 255797

^ Still better than the one we had in Manila:

Philippine-spec
20141101102500-2f45fa407999a514b6cedf49a26fb34e.jpg

1998-Toyota-Corolla--private-2142551_2.jpg

-> But the E11 had the most versions ever in Corolla's history:

Asian/Japanese-spec
1995_Toyota_Corolla_01.jpg

COROLLA005R.jpg

North American-spec
corolla_98.jpg

1998-corolla-us-12.jpg

:indiff:

I just couldn't understand why they sold different types of corolla's over different place's during that time? From the pic's i could tell we had the European version of Corolla over here.

Volvo 243. A mistake in the factory. Half 242, half 244. The left side door was bigger than the right side front door. Rarest production Volvo ever?
url-jpg.257482
url-1-jpg.257483
url-2-jpg.257484

Either that means volvo builds there cars in half split down the middle, or more likely it's somebody's cut and shut job.

Nope, its all production. it was a mistake in the factory

I'd always thought they were a special production-run-of-30 for the Swedish police with the left-side hand-welded although the Wiki page says differently. I believe there's a russian taxi model (Volga?) built the same way, one door on the driver's side and two kerb-side doors for passengers. What the benefits might be I'm not sure.

Source.

Either that means volvo builds there cars in half split down the middle, or more likely it's somebody's cut and shut job.

I was thinking more of the latter. It's entirely possible that it was built like that, but not 'by accident'.

I was thinking more of the latter. It's entirely possible that it was built like that, but not 'by accident'.

Definitely intentional and I'm sure the wiki entry is wrong. The more I think about it the more I'm sure they were a custom build for the police... it makes sense that the driver's door is easier to get out of on a 2-door... and the rear is more secure with only one exit.

If that's the only example known to exist, I'm more inclined to think it was the work of someone in post-Soviet Estonia than a mistake on Volvo's part.

The images posted here so far only show the car after further modification.

S7-Insolite-l-hypothetique-Volvo-243-le-mystere-de-la-3eme-porte-123436.jpg

243_5.jpg

Photographed later sporting additional modifications:

imgp0104ko6.jpg

If Volvo did have any part in it, I'd side with the Swedish police theory than a production error.

Last edited:

Can't possibly be an accident.

The 2-door and 4-door shells must be substantially different for starters. You can't imagine think that the guy who fits the doors, the guy who fits the glass and internal gubbings, the guy who trims the interior, the guy who paints the car and the guy who signs it off as a finished job ...all missed the fact that it has two doors on one side and one on the other? Not going to happen.

If that's the only example known to exist, I'm more inclined to think it was the work of someone in post-Soviet Estonia than a mistake on Volvo's part.

Supposedly a batch of 30 were built from the 4-door with the left-hand-sides being hand-"corrected".

EDIT: Just on hold to the Volvo museum, Gothenburg... let's see what they know ;)

EDIT EDIT: Closed Mondays, haha :D

I would like one of those quite a bit. Give me a cheap Fiat Uno or something... I'd have a crack at it myself. :lol:

I have quite a few but I'll start with this.

thCAYU96AH.jpg

It is a Toyota Will VI. I have no clue about it but see it every day, and had no idea what it was called til I saw the Will Vi logo on it, and didn't know it was a Toyota till I Googled it. Turns out it was an import, only sold in Japan. I knew of the Will VS from Gran Turismo but not the Vi. Kind of a funky looking car

If that's the only example known to exist, ... If Volvo did have any part in it, I'd side with the Swedish police theory than a production error.

Having read that a prototype existed in the Gothenburg museum... their catalogue only shows a 263, the Saab-esque fastback that Volvo (thank you jeebus) never made.

Of the others that supposedly exist I can find no trace on the interwebs. What I have found are a number of shortened East European Volvo estates, maybe this was part of some weird sub-culture trend? :D

I saw those too. A shame the fastback never made it beyond the prototype stage.

If you're referring to the shortened estates that show up when searching for the 243, they're Photoshopped.

Last edited:
I'd say that the 243 in question was made cutting the right side of a 242 enough for 244 to fit by someone in Estonia or Sweden before it was imported to Estonia, possibly as a fix after an accident.

This came up after I searched for 243, close to a 463 but it has 240 headlights. The website says that it was a prototype of 243 by Volvo.
02.jpg

-> ...
Volvo 243. A mistake in the factory. Half 242, half 244. The left side door was bigger than the right side front door. Rarest production Volvo ever?
url-jpg.257482
url-1-jpg.257483
url-2-jpg.257484
^ Volvo's Veloster before Hyundai's own Veloster. :D

I learned recently that there's actually a Ford RS200 police car.
car_photo_288444_25.jpg

and it stopped an owner of a Sierra RS500 a couple of times. :D
ford-rs200-police-car-uk.jpg

I can't imagine how much the upkeep on that Ford costs for the police department.

lm95_85.jpg

Team Nakajima Honda entered this white NSX in Le Mans in 1995, as a friendly competitor to the red Kunimitsu Takahashi car everyone knows. Sadly, it did not pre-qualify. Could it be this?

OPql4HG.png

:)

lm95_85.jpg

Team Nakajima Honda entered this white NSX in Le Mans in 1995, as a friendly competitor to the red Kunimitsu Takahashi car everyone knows. Sadly, it did not pre-qualify. Could it be this?

OPql4HG.png

:)

It looks like I need to buy a 2nd NSX LM to make a replica of that one.

All the [R]mods in GT1 were based on actual racecars, with the exception of the FTO, GTO and Del Sol LM, if my memory serves me right.

Back