• Thread starter Brend
  • 58 comments

Brend

Premium
Scotland
Scotland
GTSophy-Lapos
ClassicBrend
With 2014 coming to a close, we've seen a fairly decent year filled with games for everyone to enjoy. When it comes to this time of the year, all major gaming websites seem to throw about their choice for 'Game of the year' and choices for sub-categories specific to genre or other classifications. So, rather than try and outright judge what game should be deemed the best this year, I felt it would be better to just see what each individual on GTP would say is their games of the year and any other outstanding outliers that just miss out in your opinion.

My person game of the year has to be Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U. I've played a lot of good games this year across four consoles but nothing quite brought back the child-like buzz of simply enjoying yourself quite like this game. To put it simply, it's a masterclass in 'cuh razy' gameplay, with perfected controls, gameplay mechanics and with an insane story to boot. Platinum games outdone themselves, and gave me some of the most fun I've had in half a decade. Although, it isn't my favourite Platinum game, that title goes to 2013's The Wonderful 101.

Haven't bought many games this year so i'm basing this on only what i've played so far obviously.

For me it's PES 2015, finally my favourite football series is back on top as it was back in the ps2 era, literally cannot put the game down.

The evil within was a close second with some good old fashioned survival horror.

Well I if I had to choose it would probably have to be Far Cry 4. I have not had any major problems with that game at all and the co-op is way better than I ever expected. Amazing game.

Overall this has been a fairly weak and disappointing year for me. Games releasing lately on the next gen systems seem to be very unfinished. Destiny had the potential to be GOTY for me but was a huge disappointment, TMCC still has a broken multiplayer. 2014 has been a pretty disappointing year overall. Especially on the next gen consoles. :indiff:

Last edited:
Haven't bought many games this year so i'm basing this on only what i've played so far obviously.

For me it's PES 2015, finally my favourite football series is back on top as it was back in the ps2 era, literally cannot put the game down.
Got PES on my Christmas list alongside my PS4, so this is great news.

@CAMAROBOY69 I can see why you've found this year disappointing, that's why I held off on a next gen console till this year since they didn't look too nice gamewise. Went for the Wii U since it has had an abundance of games that I enjoy, one after the other, pretty much. :lol:

2014 wasn't a very impressive year for me, in terms of games. Sure, there was GTA V but the Xbox version was lackluster, imho. Especially in retrospect, given what the PC version is shaping up to be like. If the PC version was out by now, it'd get my vote. The way it is, it might turn out to be my GOTY for 2015. We'll see.

The game I've played the most over the year would probably be Hearthstone (at least if we're not counting War Thunder, which has been released in 2012). Been technically playing it since 2013 (closed beta), but it was officially launched in 2014, so I'd have to kinda go with that. Although, by now, I'm kinda fed up with all the randomness of the game and how grindy it is if you aren't willing to fork some cash over. The only other notable entrant for me would be Dark Souls II. Not quite as remarkable as the first game, though, and while it might objectively be the better game, Hearthstone still gets my vote. Got a lot more fun out of it than out of DkS2. As @CAMAROBOY69 said, not the best year for games, imho.

I find it a bit odd people are mentioning GTA5. That came out in 2014 and here we are 435 days later still with no heists. I understand they re-released it for this gen consoles but still, no heists. It was one of the best games of 2013 for sure, but I would not count that as a 2014 title.

@CAMAROBOY69 I can see why you've found this year disappointing, that's why I held off on a next gen console till this year since they didn't look too nice gamewise. Went for the Wii U since it has had an abundance of games that I enjoy, one after the other, pretty much. :lol:
That's why I waited a year. Figured after a year, most of the bugs would be worked out for the next gen consoles. I guess not. Some of the games are releasing insanely unfinished.

I find it a bit odd people are mentioning GTA5.
Well, the re-release on the PS4 and XBOne is one of the biggest game releases on those consoles, imho. Which doesn't speak volumes about how good GTA V is, but how lacklustre the gaming catalogue for the current consoles is, I guess.

Oops realized AC came out in 13, sorry. Far Cry 4 for FPS and Forza Horizon 2 for driving.

Last edited:
Dragon Age Inquisition without even thinking about it for me. I've played a lot of great games this year and I never even played the first two Dragon Age games but this one pulled me in from the beginning and hasn't let me go yet. I've got 44 hours invested and I'm about 60% through the main story but I've been playing a lot of side missions and this game is just HUGE. I'm enjoying the Hell out of it.

Don't Starve (PS4)

I know its a 2013 PC game but this is my favorite 2014 game. I cant remember the last time I had this much fun with a game.

But yeah overall 2014 was weak for games. 2015 looks to more then make up for it though

Dragon Age Inquisition without even thinking about it for me. I've played a lot of great games this year and I never even played the first two Dragon Age games but this one pulled me in from the beginning and hasn't let me go yet. I've got 44 hours invested and I'm about 60% through the main story but I've been playing a lot of side missions and this game is just HUGE. I'm enjoying the Hell out of it.
I completely agree with this. My GOTY for sure. I finally had to put it down for a bit and take a break as I was on waaaaaay to much. about 100 hours in and I'm around 45-50% I think.

Oh yes PES this year is finally back to it's best, just try the demo and you'll see the difference.

Can't add option files on PS4 tho so you'll have to play with the wrong kits etc which is a big deal to some.

I would probably say FarCry 4. There havnt been that many games this year that blew my mind or impressed me much. I thought destiny would be that game but it failed due to the limited/repetitive content and general grindyness. Fifa 15 is a great game but an annual sports franchise should and will never be regarded as an all out game of the year. GTAV is great on PS4 but I would personally not regard it as a new release. The same for TLOU remastered. Normally with my personal taste, my GOTY choice would normally be a Battlefield or GT game but as we have not had one i guess i will go with FC4. The only slight problem I have is the length of the story. I think they sacrificed on the amount/length of the missions in order to implement the multiple choice aspect. As much as choices in an open world story is appreciated I can't help but feel it was noticably shorter than FC3. This is a slight gripe however as I did enjoy the story nomatter the length and the abundance of side activites still means your getting a lot of game for the money. I havnt decided on picking up DA:I yet so that could possibly be a contender to but personally for me..........FC4

Last edited:
Grid Autosport for me.

Oh yes PES this year is finally back to it's best, just try the demo and you'll see the difference.

Can't add option files on PS4 tho so you'll have to play with the wrong kits etc which is a big deal to some.
On PS3 i checked today and it's still on sale at the playstation store for 20€, also because i didn't upgrade to PS4 i could make use of paul2478's option file to get the teams, names and kits right 👍

Played my first game today and it really is a great footie game.

Last edited:
Well, for me, and I can't speak much, has to be Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. I would nominate Steamworld Dig, but I don't think that the game is up to par.

I have to go with Forza Horizon 2 because of the dynamic weather, day and night cycle, perfect open world racing game physics and extremely crisp graphics, plus the multiplayer is very fun.

Man, it seems like I have the opposite of most of everyone's problems. :lol:

There was at least 4 games I've been blown away by this year for different reasons.

Child of Light - Artistic direction.
Smash Bros - Incredible amount of content.
Mario Kart 8 - Soundtrack and most polished complete product this year by far.
Sunset Overdrive - Unique and very nice open world filled with things to do.

Grid Autosport for me.

On PS3 i checked today and it's still on sale at the playstation store for 20€, also because i didn't upgrade to PS4 i could make use of paul2478's option file to get the teams, names and kits right 👍

Played my first game today and it really is a great footie game.

I use paul's option file too :) hope they add the option to add option files on PS4 next year as i plan on upgrading to next gen by then.

For me, despite strong competition by GTA V, This War of mine, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Driveclub:

Valiant Hearts

Art style and the delicate way they showed the gruesome terror of WWI is something that hasnt been matched in uniqueness and brilliance this year, or maybe even the last 5 years. Such a beautiful, but heartbreaking story.

I haven't played Far Cry 4 yet. So, I can't vote for that. I have to give my vote to Goat Simulator.

Ok. Not really. I think my vote would go to Destiny.

Well I if I had to choose it would probably have to be Far Cry 4. I have not had any major problems with that game at all and the co-op is way better than I ever expected. Amazing game.

Overall this has been a fairly weak and disappointing year for me. Games releasing lately on the next gen systems seem to be very unfinished. Destiny had the potential to be GOTY for me but was a huge disappointment, TMCC still has a broken multiplayer. 2014 has been a pretty disappointing year overall. Especially on the next gen consoles. :indiff:

What about Titanfall? Thought you was really enjoying it.

I've not played much this year aside from Assetto Corsa and other PC related bits and bobs. Playing AC Unity on PC right now (near the end) and really enjoying it so I think that would be mine. Watch Dogs has been good with the stealth and camera hacking, there's some good gameplay ideas but its a little bland overall. Next game I get will probably be Shadow of Mordor

My feeling was not much out there big game wise but looking back we have

Destiny
Shadow of Mordor
Titanfall
Alien Isolation
Watch Dogs
Forza Horizon 2
DriveClub
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Assassins Creed Unity
Evil Within
Infamous Second Son
Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
Sunset Overdrive
Dark Souls II
Dragon Age Inquisition

Of course we have lots of smaller games like Shovel Knight and Transistor to name a couple and re-releases.

Having enjoyed Walking Dead I was looking forward to the next season this year but it doesn't seem anywhere near as good so I'll probably just leave my wonderful experience with the first game. Also I hope they can put Bayo 2 on PC maybe in 2-3 years time thinking there may be a contract and it was a bit of a punt for Nintendo.

Last edited:
I know I already mentioned FC4 but I really should not forget how amazing Forza Horizon 2 has been. Those 2 games have truly taken me by surprise this year. Easily the 2 best games of 2014 for me.

I won't count GTA towards 2014, it's still a 2013 game essentially. But for me, it's between Driveclub and Destiny.

Driveclub is one of the best racing games i've bought, and it looks astounding, better than anything else, and is just brilliant fun to drive the cars.

Destiny is up there too cause usually I avoid shooters/MMO's cause they don't interest me, but there's something about it that's really fun. Even though the story is short, game is basically just grindgrindgrind and RNG.

Shovel Knight, without question. As a humble Kickstarter project with a goofy premise and me-too aesthetic gimmick, I almost overlooked it, but this is not your average 8-bit-styled indie platformer. With tight gameplay, masterful level design, a phenomenal soundtrack, brilliantly realized characters, and a surprisingly emotive narrative, there are almost no faults to be found here. I was bothered more by a couple of the ways Yacht Club Games "cheated" on the quasi-NES-ness of the game than by anything within the game itself.

I was hooked hard for a solid month -- note that with practice, you can complete a playthrough in an hour and a half -- and it's something I'll come back to again and again. It's right up there with classic evergreen titles like Mega Man 2 or Super Metroid. Anyone who ever enjoyed a Mega Man game ought to check it out.

Shovel Knight, without question. As a humble Kickstarter project with a goofy premise and me-too aesthetic gimmick, I almost overlooked it, but this is not your average 8-bit-styled indie platformer. With tight gameplay, masterful level design, a phenomenal soundtrack, brilliantly realized characters, and a surprisingly emotive narrative, there are almost no faults to be found here. I was bothered more by a couple of the ways Yacht Club Games "cheated" on the quasi-NES-ness of the game than by anything within the game itself.

I was hooked hard for a solid month -- note that with practice, you can complete a playthrough in an hour and a half -- and it's something I'll come back to again and again. Anyone who ever enjoyed a Mega Man game ought to check it out.
Damn, that sounds amazing. I was put off by the price more than anything, it's £12.99 here.

Damn, that sounds amazing. I was put off by the price more than anything, it's £12.99 here.
Picture Megaman platforming physics in Megaman-esque levels against Megaman-esque bosses with Castlevania/Zelda-esque tools and a sprinkle of RPGness...and it sounds like this.

Back