Your GOTY for 2014?

• Thread starter Brend
  • 58 comments
I don't think I've played many 2014 games, so Elite: Dangerous is probably mine. I haven't played it yet but Alien: Isolation looks like something I'd love too but, well, I haven't found the time for it after buying it a few weeks back.

So your game(s) of the year is a game that you say isn't worth the sticker price, and one your asking if you should buy next?
Well, I cant think of any others I have played that were released in 2014 and wanted there to be more than one. The Crew is a great game, but the fact that it is online only makes it not worth £50. If you could play it without an internet connection it would be much better.

I have only played one game that has come out this year, so I guess it'd have to be that. The game is Car Mechanic Simulator 2014.

For me it would have to be Tales of Hearts R or Tales of Xillia 2, but then I'm weird like that :P
I would say GTAV PS4, but then as others have said, it is still technically a 2013 game.

Tough one, played some damn fine PS4 games, I'd nominate shadow of mordor but TLOU takes the cake.

Honorable mentions to Resogun and velocity 2X.

GTA V on New Gen but even if it has new feature and upgrades and such i don't think this would count because it's a remastered version of the old gen version so sadly it has to be removed

The same goes to the last of us remastered

(BTW GTA V on PS4 & XB1 has more new feature than Fifa 13, 14 and 15 together which is mostly just players update and some minor graphics update).

I wouldn't say which one i want but here's some what i'm expecting:

Destiny
Far Cry 4
evil within
Shadow of Mordo

also couple more....

what's odds me about here is that people said that a racing game (arcade or simulator) will be their GOTY which will near impossible to get it.

I completely agree with this. My GOTY for sure. I finally had to put it down for a bit and take a break as I was on waaaaaay to much. about 100 hours in and I'm around 45-50% I think.

Just finished the main story on Dragon Age, finished at level 19 and I had 64 hours in it. I didn't complete all of the side quests, there's a LOT left. I was sort of sad to see it end, best game I've played in years.

Screw everything I said! GOTY for me is Scrolls, by far. Very deep and tactical gameplay, great art style, very fair price point and approach to micro transactions, addictive and available on PC, Mac and Android with full cross-platform functionality.

Greatly recommended for anyone who's in the least into board games and/or card games. Or any sort of turn-based strategy games, imho. It's $5.00 and even got a free demo version that allows you to get quite a good idea of how the game is and make some progress that carries over, even. Great all-around experience and punches WAY over its weight.

Trailer:

GTA V was my fav for 2013 so I can't choose it's upraded sibling. So I'm gonna go with Borderland: The Pre-Sequel 👍

Jerome

GTA V was my fav for 2013 so I can't choose it's upraded sibling. So I'm gonna go with Borderland: The Pre-Sequel 👍

Jerome
About time that Borderland: PS got some love. A solid, lengthy game which was plenty of fun. Having said that, it'll have to be an honourable mention as Driveclub is the 2014 game for me. I think Watch Dogs will be my second honourable mention as that was fresh and kept me amused for quite some time.

I considered giving Mario Kart 8 my GOTY but decided against it because even though it's practically one of the only video games I've ever played and not had any worthwhile complaints, it is Mario Kart...there's no 'shock' factor. That being said, there wasn't a video game this year that came close in terms of perfected performance, soundtrack and in regard to racing games in general, original track design. It's an incredible achievement and puts other developers to shame by being a complete product that doesn't feel rushed, its completely bug free and after 190 hours of 60fps playing time it's goddamn beautiful. An absolute Wii U must.
GOTY, either Mario Kart 8 or Sunset Overdrive.

Flops of the Year, Destiny and The Crew.

GOTY, either Mario Kart 8 or Sunset Overdrive.

Flops of the Year, Destiny and The Crew.

Sunset Overdrive looks like Ratchet and Clank, without Ratchet and Clank; smilar gameplay and moves. Something geared toward 10 year olds with the 'radical, fresh, in-your-face!' rebellious main character. I'll pass, thank you.

Jerome

Sunset Overdrive looks like Ratchet and Clank, without Ratchet and Clank; smilar gameplay and moves. Something geared toward 10 year olds with the 'radical, fresh, in-your-face!' rebellious main character. I'll pass, thank you.

Jerome

My first thought was Jet Set Radio but Ratchet and Clank would probably suffice also.

Bayonetta 2.

Literally I've never had as few complaints over a game as I did with this one. Absolutely amazing.

If we're including re-releases (and based on how many people feel the need to say GTAV, I guess we are), then The Last of Us Remastered.

Seeing as the original post didn't specify release dates I'm going for Game Stock Car Extreme on PC, formerly known as Game Stock Car 2013 by Reiza Studios. It's simply the best Racing Sim I've tried. It may have released last year but I only discovered it this year. It has definitely been my most played and most enjoyed game I've seen this year and any year for that matter. The physics of the game are as good as I've experienced. Sound is better than any other car game, as are the quality of AI cars which can be tailored to be as fast or slow as you want them to be. The graphics are still very good too, although not up to future releases Assetto Corsa / Project Cars standards. From Racing minis to F1 cars in all but name it has an interesting selection of cars. With loads of new (mostly South American) tracks and a few very well known F1 circuits at 18 pounds UK I'm unlikely to get such "play per pound". Fantastic with a wheel. Makes GT6 single player largely unplayable for me.

That fact that there are mods out there for practically every major and many minor tracks and cars too is merely a bonus.

It comfortably runs on my 5 year old laptop, I can play it on my 40 inch TV, it seems to have little in the way of bugs.

The only other game I'll even consider being better that I'll have played is Dragon Age Inquisition. However, I won't actually play that until Christmas on my PS4. Game Of The Year should probably be chosen once the year is actually complete but my choice is GSCE.

The Last Of Us remastered and Driveclub (more so the latest release) get honourable mentions.

Having played it a lot over the past few days, Elite: Dangerous is my GOTY. Possibly mainly because it's the only full 2014 release I've played much of, otherwise most of what I've played has been pre-2014 or early access stuff like Project CARS, Assetto Corsa (though this was properly released a few days ago) or Kerbal Space Program.

Back