• Cable modem

Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
Latest testing from DSL Reports:
now keep in mind, I am running Kazaa and downloading at 10K/s or so, as well as running AIM, but they shouldn't slow it down too much.

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 137
I'm not sure if I posed this in here or not but I've had cable now for about 5 months. I am glad to be off 56k, I don't know how i had the patience.

no offense, but your upload speed really sucks. I mean, for having a 4MB/s connection, to only upload at 130kb/s? Did you tweak your connection or something to get more downstream for sacraficing upstream?

yep , I know, I've tried tweeking it out but it doesn't make any significant difference.

Thats just the connex which I have I guess... but I can't complain ;) That is still fast enough to do everything and the download rulez. Plus my performance is optimized, its what it "should" be.
greetz

I used Boomspeed.com to test my "bandwidth. I'm on that Adelphia junk.

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 02:49:49 UTC
1st 128K took 471 ms = 278285 Bytes/sec = approx 2315 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 500 ms = 262144 Bytes/sec = approx 2181 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1573 ms = 83326 Bytes/sec = approx 693 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1051 ms = 124712 Bytes/sec = approx 1038 kbits/sec

Still don't have it at home (yet) but I just upgraded our connection at work to a 1024/512 ADSL line... At home I continue to use 512/256 line.

Originally posted by Viper_Maniac
Just wonderin, how much do you pay for your dsl?

$39.95 USD It's the only broadband service in the area...:mad:

Originally posted by Viper_Maniac
And you're getting 512? Man I'm getting jipped(sp?). I'm paying $50 a month for 384/128.

It's advertised 512/256, I just ran a current speed test and the results are about the same as they were the last time I posted my results.

Attachments

• current connection.jpg
    current connection.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 86
What's up with the double posts, Jordan? This is the second time this week it's done it to me and I can't remember it ever happening before.

That's actually a poor representation of an internet connection. Most single connections aren't going to be able to max out a large internet connection, but you'll be able to see the full capacity of broadband with multiple file transfers. I'm trying to get a good graph with Performance Monitor (Start>Programs>Administrator Tools>Performance Monitor [set it how you like it]) but I'm having trouble getting full speed out of my connection. It's supposed to be 6mbit down, 384kbit up. I'm only getting a third of the download.

[off-topic]
How's it going LoudMusic?
[/off-topic]

Here's there results from our advertised 1024/512 ADSL connection at work. It's kind of skewed because the connection was in use by other users on the network at the time this test was done, but on average, it seems that we get 80-85% the advertised service.

Attachments

• bandwidth.jpg
    bandwidth.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 100
[offtopic]
S'alright. Fell asleep last night with a beautiful woman in my arms - can't be too bad (:
[/off-topic]

Ok, so I did what I could to max out my connection. I have about 100 simultaneous Kazaa downloads going, and probably 10 game demos from download.com. This scale is in KiloBytes per second, so multiply times 8 to get kilobits per second.

Ha ha, just got a call "All of a sudden, man, the web is crawling. Is there anything you can check into on that?" Wow, that's funny (:

Anyway, back to speed checking ...

We have 6MB/s, or 6144kbit download. That comes to 768KB/s maximum internet file transfer. I was getting an average of 590KB/s on about 100 file transfers combined. Not too bad. Though I have broken our max speed before. It was like 3AM and I was just hanging out at work playing with this phat connection.

Attachments

• perfmon1.gif
    perfmon1.gif
    7 KB · Views: 100
Back