Zombies! Pick a Car for the Apocalypse

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 342 comments
4: It more than likely runs on diesel, so it'll get decent gas mileage, and even though siphoning would be dangerous, a lot of cars around here run on diesel. That would give me a lot of potential fuel supplies.

There's a lot of discussion early in the thread about how diesel stays good longer than regular gasoline. In an apocalypse where no more fuel is being produced, the ability to siphon fuel from a car that's been sitting there for years and still have it work in your vehicle is critical.

Car for the apocalypse?

I'd take one of these bad boys :sly:

Veh01.jpg

Landy 101.

...unfortunately out of the factory they ran a 3.5-litre petrol Rover V8 so they're gutless and not really the best thing for outrunning the undead hordes. So it'd have to be one with a TDi engine swap (helps with the fuel issues mentioned above) but that shouldn't be to tricky to find.

But still, it'll get pretty much anywhere you point it at and you could fit a lot of stuff in it. There's a reason these are popular for the overlanders.

If it had to be. Car in my street is say the mitshibishi warrior l200
And just about 2 mile down the road is a land rover / range rover dealership that has a nice lifted discovery with bad ass off road tyres, winch. 5 seats so me my girl. And my 2 boys are. Safe

Landy 101.

Unfortunately your storage space will be full of spare parts, metal plate, and a welding rig. You'd be better off with a space hopper.

As for fitting a TDi unit, good luck with that. If you do succeed in fitting one, here's more good luck for when you try and change the cam belt! :P

Last edited:
Unfortunately your storage space will be full of spare parts, metal plate, and a welding rig. You'd be better off with a space hopper.

As for fitting a TDi unit, good luck with that. If you do succeed in fitting one, here's more good luck for when you try and change the cam belt! :P

:lol:

I was planning on finding one with one already installed :P

None, a bicycle is a far safer idea... For the simple fact it can go pretty much anywhere, requires no fuel and can even produce electricity for your camp quite simply. All fossil fuels vehicles are useless as speed and brute force will not be your ally against a foe which can hunt you for miles once they have heard you... Not mentioning your issues with fuel in those big V8 monsters...

I saw a post where someone said the arctic tundra was a bad place to be, its not as bad as you think as the zombies will be frozen, therefore they can't attack you during the winter - perfect for travelling.

However this all depends on the class of outbreak...

Last edited:
None, a bicycle is a far safer idea... For the simple fact it can go pretty much anywhere, requires no fuel and can even produce electricity for your camp quite simply. All fossil fuels vehicles are useless as speed and brute force will not be your ally against a foe which can hunt you for miles once they have heard you... Not mentioning your issues with fuel in those big V8 monsters...

I saw a post where someone said the arctic tundra was a bad place to be, its not as bad as you think as the zombies will be frozen, therefore they can't attack you during the winter - perfect for travelling.

However this all depends on the class of outbreak...

Been reading Max Brooks' 'Zombie Survival Guide', have we?

:P

(these are probably already posted somewhere, too lazy to check)

tgdoomsday.jpg

Top Gear USA's Toyota Camry (If fuel is a little more scarce)

For an all rounder (if it was lifted a little more) a Dodge Charger like this one.

01-defiance-dodge-charger-chicago.jpg

And for a "DIE YOU ZOMBIE SCUMS" approach (although biodiesel, this would still be a gas guzzler x100000)

zero-south-builds-a-biodiesel-hummer-monster-truck-with-tracks.jpg

Perfect for the Canadaian winters

Something like this. Why?

• In an event of an apocalypse fuel will be very hard to obtain, so fuel-efficient transport makes sense.
  • Spacious enough so you could pretty much live in it and store enough supplies.
  • Reliable, easy to repair.
  • Camo green, because I can.

yWOcWr3.jpg

If I'm in The Walking Dead, I want something made by Hyundai, because those cars aren't allowed to have anything bad happen to them. (Yay product placement!)

Otherwise, give me something with good fuel economy and a lot of space. A Honda Fit would probably be your best bet, actually. Small five door with a massive interior and great gas mileage. And it's a Honda, so it will last forever.
2009-honda-fit-1280-06_opt.jpg

qbpk.jpg

Practical, fuel efficient, all terrain vehicle; comes complete with horse to make escape while riding in event of fuel running out / breakdown.

I've already mentioned the BTR-80, but it's not so easy to get quickly in emergency situation. But if the rule is to be available immediatly, I'll still rely on some Soviet heavy metal. :mischievous: These trucks are very strong, powerful, reliable, easy to repair, just like an AK. :cool: Also have great off-road capabilities. I'll pick one of these:

GAZ 66. There is one not far from my house. In case of emergency, I know where to get it. :mischievous:
That one is also equipped with a booth, so it will be a good camper as well.
gaz66_2.jpg

ZiL 131 - even more brutal 6x6 off-road truck, but fuel efficiency is apparently not its best.
Again, there are couple of them in my neighbourhood.
616.jpg

Or the Ukrainian monster - KrAZ 255 (the truck from the SpinTires art). The power and off-road abilities of this thing are awesome, it will go straight through any crowd of zombies... as long as it has fuel. The consumption is just huge...
I remember a 255 towtruck was standing nearby recently, but now it's taken away somewhere...:grumpy:
kraz_255_bort.jpg

You know, if gas isn't a concern, one can pick up a T-55 for about $35,000-$40,000.
2257.jpeg

And really, you could practically run it on rotgut vodka anyway, so even that wouldn't be much of a problem.

If this was 20 or so years go, a tank could be a possibility, assuming you know how to operate one.
Wouldn't be the first time I've driven one.

It's not terribly hard to purchase one, and maintenance wouldn't be a huge issue. These old T-55's were designed for the Red Army, which wasn't exactly known for having an amazing infrastructure. They'll effectively run on anything liquid and flammable, and they're both easy to operate and keep running.

Back