Resource icon

Autodromo Internazional Enzo e Dino Ferrari Imola (1973-1994) V1.0

Length
Theme
Eifel
Number Of Turns
Length (Unit)
km
Welcome to my version of Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari Imola.
Very close replica, about 70% correct elevation changes.

Description of replica:
I've made this replica to try to come as close as possible to the real Imola 1994 track, and I managed that very well I think. I had to sacrifice the hole sf-straight all up to the beginning of Tamburello corner, due to the TPE limits, but other than that, everything is like the real track:). And my replica is slightly longer because of that, my replica is 5.369 km, the real version was 5.040 km. Also I was able to place some of iconic track sites like the overpass bridges, and tribunes, and trees along side the track. The elevation is very good all around, is does the right thing, of course it is off some places. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the Variante Basse chicane, but it's not that bad, but could be better. I want to give a big thanks to @Patrick8308 for the inspiration to begin with. He has made the modern version of Imola. Thanks Patrick:tup:;)
Another and very obvious inspiration source for making this track is the late Ayrton Senna, and not to forget Roland Ratzenberger, both RIP. You are not forgotten, see ya!!!

iml_view.jpg

Autodromo Internazionale "Enzo e Dino Ferrari" Imola

Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari is an auto racing circuit near the Italian town of Imola, 40 km east of Bologna and 80 km east of the Ferrari factory in Maranello. The circuit is named after Ferrari's late founder Enzo and his son Dino who died in the 1950s. Before Enzo Ferrari's death in 1988 it was called 'Autodromo Dino Ferrari'. The Circuit has an FIA Grade 1 Licence.

It was the venue for the Formula One San Marino Grand Prix (for many years, two Grand Prix's were held in Italy every year, so the race held at Imola was named after the nearby state) and it also hosted the 1980 edition of the Italian Grand Prix, which usually takes place in Monza. When Formula One visits Imola, it's seen as the 'home circuit' of Ferrari, and masses of tifosi (Ferrari supporters) come out to support the local team.
Imola, as it is colloquially known, is one of the few major International Circuit's to run in an anti-clockwise direction. (Istanbul Park, Korea International Circuit, Marina Bay Street Circuit, Autodromo José Carlos Pace, COTA, and the Yas Marina Circuit are other anti-clockwise circuits used recently by Formula One).

7140356745_7eeaa13faa_b.jpg

The Tamburello Corner:

Despite the addition of the chicanes, the circuit was subject to constant safety concerns, mostly regarding the flat-out Tamburello corner, which was very bumpy and had dangerously little room between the track layout and a concrete wall without tires in front, which protects the Santerno river that runs behind it. In 1987, Nelson Piquet had an accident there during practice and missed the race due to injury. In the 1989 San Marino Grand Prix, Gerhard Berger crashed his Ferrari into Tamburello after a front wing failure, the car caught fire after the heavy impact, but thanks to the quick work from the marshalls, firefighters, and medical personnel Berger survived and missed only one race (the 1989 Monaco Grand Prix) due to burns to his hands. Michele Alboreto also had a fiery accident at the circuit in 1991, but escaped injury. Riccardo Patrese also had an accident at the Tamburello corner in 1992 while testing for the Williams-Renault team!.

5375fe937eb895ca7edc030b7866a27e.jpg

1994 San Marino Grand Prix Sunday May 1 (The Black Weekend)

In the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, during Friday practice April 29 Rubens Barrichello was launched over a curb and into the top of a tyre barrier at the Variante Bassa, knocking the Brazilian unconscious, though quick medical intervention, and by Sid Watkins saved his life. Ayrton was shocked, and ran down to see him immediately, they were close friends. During Saturday Qualification April 30 the Formula One rookie, the Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger (in only his second Formula One Grand Prix, third unofficially) crashed head-on into a concrete wall at over 320 km/h at the Villeneuve corner after his MTV Simtek lost the front wing, due to a little accident a lap earlier, that came under the front wheels, lifted the front end of the car above the ground, sending him directly into the concrete wall, died instantly from a basilar skull fracture. Senna watched it on the television in the pit, and when he saw it was very serious he turned around and had to go out of the pit garage, few minutes later he decided to drive down to the scene himself, attending the marshalls, doctors, and Sid Watkins, he was very shocked and cried a bit, and it was there that Sid told Ayrton "why don't you just quit", let's go out fishing instead of racing the next day, but after a long time thinking, Ayrton eventually said "Sid, I can't quit".
The next day Sunday May 1 the terror would continue, the race started with JJ Letho stalled his Benneton on grid nr 5, and was hit behind by Pedro Lamy, it was like the cars was hit by a hand grenade, with debris flying in to the crowd and injuring eight spectators, the race run behind the slow safety car for five laps, the race was green again on lap 6, where Senna set the third fastest lap time that weekend, but on the last section the Rivazza corner something weird happened to Senna's steering wheel still on lap 6, but on lap 7 entering the Tamburello corner, the steering column broke and send Senna in to the concrete wall, with the right front wheel coming back and one of the wheel arches pierced his helmet and his forehead. He succumbed to his wounds 14:17. The world had lost its greatest racing driver and a strong personality in the history of Formula One.

c020309d1bd0a64d393bff050303ab94.jpg

Start of lap 6:

ayrton_senna__michael_schumacher__san_marino_1994__by_f1_history-d9u7xfz.jpg

The last lap:

158467961.jpg

Original track layout used between 1973 - 1994:

Imola 81-84.a536719d321d80fbfc70b26fa16c816f.png

Ending result of my replica layout:

wlLWJgTDv5b4djP8ow_0.png

Have fun driving on this track:cheers:
Author
GT6champNK_69