In 1951, a group of six local businessmen decided to build a new track. About 2 km away from the original circuit, it still bears the corner name signs of the original circuit. As the piece of available land was on the edge of the coast, the track is known for its steep grades – the highest 57 metres
- Number Of Turns:
- Length (Unit):
The new track was opened in 1956 and in 1960 the first Armstrong 500production car race was held at the circuit.
The circuit hosted the Phillip Island 500K endurance race, a round of the Australian Manufacturers' Championship, from 1971 to 1977.
The circuit was refurbished with a reduced length of 4.449 kilometres and was reopened on 4 December 1988 for the final round of the 1988 Swann Insurance International Series for motorcycles.
In 1990 the Australian Touring Car Championship returned to the circuit for the first time since 1977, with Dick Johnson winning in hisFord Sierra RS500.