Hella...

• Thread starter milefile
  • 32 comments
I'm not a big fan of any colloquial expression, really... Especially Imma. I wouldn't go as far as to kick a person who says "hella" in the nuts though.

Originally posted by rufrgt_sn00pie2001
I wouldn't go as far as to kick a person who says "hella" in the nuts though.
I should say that my sig is a reference to South Park, not really a sincere wish :D

I don't hate hella as much as I hate my bad. 'My bad' what? Taste? Education? Grammar? I'm also not a big fan of so used without a related adjective. It's bad enough when people say "I'm so happy." (which should be followed by "...that I could..." in order to be grammatically correct). But when used totally by itself it just sounds stupid: "I'm so not into paying attention in English class."

Originally posted by neon_duke
I don't hate hella as much as I hate my bad. 'My bad' what? Taste? Education? Grammar? I'm also not a big fan of so used without a related adjective. It's bad enough when people say "I'm so happy." (which should be followed by "...that I could..." in order to be grammatically correct). But when used totally by itself it just sounds stupid: "I'm so not into paying attention in English class."

So really doesn't bother me, in fact, it can sound pretty humourous. :)

I think most colloquialisms are a murdering of the English Language, and I think that's a bad thing.

I used to say "so" in the context that neon_duke mentions, but I've pretty much quit that now.

So...there I was...buck naked and tied off to the bedposts, motor oil smeared all over my body...She came in with a saddle and a set of jumper cables...

Duke would kick me, as I used to frequent the "my bad" line. And yes, hella is a useless word.

AO

Originally posted by Der Alta
So...there I was...buck naked and tied off to the bedposts, motor oil smeared all over my body...She came in with a saddle and a set of jumper cables...

Duke would kick me, as I used to frequent the "my bad" line. And yes, hella is a useless word.

AO

No no no, you've got it wrong. It should be:

"I was so there, and like, I was buck naked, and like tied off to the bedposts, and I so couldn't move. I had like motor oil, like, smeared all over my body, the sheets were so trashed. Oh well, like, my bad. She came in, and she totally had a saddle and a set of these, like, jumper cables, and I was like so worried."

Originally posted by Der Alta

AO

Ahhh! What are you talking about!? My fragile mind!!!!

I never understood the "hella" thing. I thought it was supposed to be used in front of adjectives, for example, "hella-cool" or "hella-stupid." Meh, I'm not the most trendy person in school, but then again, "hella" was never popular here.

OA

Originally posted by duo17
I never understood the "hella" thing. I thought it was supposed to be used in front of adjectives, for example, "hella-cool" or "hella-stupid."
Never heard it before. So is rather overused here, though. I want to kick myself when I say "goes" every so often, it sounds moronic:

"...it goes like this (was)..."
"...so he goes (says)..."

I'm not sure how it happened.

I first heard hella about five years ago in San Francisco when I lived there. My employees kept saying it so I asked about it. Of course they all laughed and said something like, "dude, that is so, like, hella lame."

Strange that hella isn't used very often here... if anything, I tend to here helluva more often.

Colloquial expressions do annoy me, though I can't honestly say that I have a clean slate myself (believe it or not, I'm a victim of the "like" syndrome here in southern California... I don't have the Valley-Girl accent where every other word is followed by like, but I do tend to use it when I'm talking faster than I can think :P).

Now, my bad, that's something that truly gets on my nerves. What ever happened to "Oops!" or "Sorry"? (For pete's sake, I'll even take "Oh crap" as acceptable over "my bad".)

I hated the "Duuude" thing. I hate the "like" thing and I hate the "hella" thing.
I feel like punching soneone when they talk like that. In fact I think I will next time.

I'm annoyed by people trying to act thuggish in my school. YOU LIVE IN A FREAKING SUBURB AND YOU NEVER EVEN TOUCHED A FREAKING GUN, NOT EVEN A SHOTGUN FOR HUNTING!!! Jeeze, they're trying to act 'cool' by being stupid- and not the funny type of stupid. There's this one kid a year younger than me that's 4 feet tall and acts like he can take everyone on at the same time. I'm nearly 6ft tall, weigh probably 80 pounds more than him(I weigh around 175) and he still mouths off to me! Makes me wonder how he talks around his grandmother...

Oh yeah, I also hear hellofa, but never really hella... I say 'dude' a lot, but not in the surfer way(e.g. duuuuude, that was rad!)
Instead, I just use 'whoa...."

I also say "Daaaa Bears" at random times just for kicks and giggles.

well i use hella just for the hell of it. its how i talk so its how i type. as for english class, so what i sucked. hella is a "slang" word i use. although its old and weak like "cool" or "sweet" its what i do. also i use my bad. not cuz "im soo like into clueless" no i use it cuz ill say my bad. im not gonna talk like a robot. yes gonna. you find my english gay, hug my balls. no im not a valley girl. no im not a surfer. im not a cholo or a "gangbanger". im just me. so while you fruits go and ANALise peoples form of speach (like a bunch of smart a)ss school girls) im gonna soooo play gt2, its gonna be hella fun, my bad if you dont like how i talk.

Back