Turbo Car Cup @ Test Course - Supra Showdown

• Thread starter Falcon787B
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
London
JohnsonCapote
Recently, having returned to GT4, Ive been hooning around in a 127hp, 800kg Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint. Pretty car, and a fantastic handling machine. But, there is only so much fun you can have nipping by big, slower cars in corners. The thrill of pure speed still courses through me, which is why I returned also to GT2, and the now-infamous Turbo Car Cup @ The Test Course.
As always I can't resist but add a bit of fiction and fantasy to my race report, and today is no exception with the introduction of one of my GT alter-egos; Dave Johnson, AKA Falcon. For him speed is such a buzz that it actually calms him, and its only when he's running 150mph or more that he comes into his element. He is average in tight turns and twisty chicanes, but his special ability is fast corners and flat-out speed - drafting, and a cool-headedness even when he is driving at such a speed that the car he is driving is struggling to stay on the ground. Presicion at speed, hence the nickname, Falcon. With that done, I'll let him take up the story.

All you really need here is horsepower (over 400 will do) and a sure knowledge of ducking, weaving and drafting. No other race pits you in a cat-and-mouse chase with 5 other cars, with all of you running over 200mph nearly all of the 3 laps. The cars that enter typify this - mostly aftermarket tuning company specials from HKS, Toms, Mines, Nismo, Tommykaira, and others. The average horsepower outputs ranges from low 400s for the very low-end cars, right through 500s and 600s up to 900 and 1000hp from the fearsome HKS Drag 180SXs. What this race tests is skill and bravery - the ability to hold one's nerve whilst travelling at an average speed of three and a half miles a minute.
I've attempted (and won) this race before, and so I built a whole new car for my latest attempt - Project Supra.
My base model was in fact a Tom's special edition Supra, midly breathed on to give 309hp. The main difference between this model and the standard RZ was a remapped ECU and an aggressive bodykit and spoiler. People had entered Tom's Supras into this race from the day it first started, but I'd had a look at the cars, and 10 times out of 10 they had had almost a complete engine rebuild - enourmous turbos, piggyback ECU systems, the whole kahuna. As a result they had the power to be competitive. But I fancied a real challenge.
I stuck to a basic guideline - no handling modifications aside from tyres and stage 1 weight reduction, just engine and gearbox mods only, and after putting on a small stage 1 turbo, this was how it rolled into the pits on the day of the race.

As usual, the criticism headed my way before I'd even lined up on the grid. Not enough horsepower, not enough grip. I was used to low expectation, though - it's part of what makes racing so great, the feeling that you're upsetting the odds and going against the tide. I felt that same feeling as I rolled onto the grid. Something one Japanese gearhead had said to me in the pits stuck with me - "Either you're gonna win, or the ambulance will be cleaning you and what's left of your car off the barriers. The rational part of my brain says it'll be the latter, but my gut says the former...good luck."

Starting Grid
1.HKS Drag 180SX
2.Tom's Supra (PD-tuned)
3.Tommykaira R '95
4.Mines Lancer Evolution
5.Mines R32.5 Skyline
6.Tom's Supra (me-tuned).

Grip the steering wheel. Rev up a little. The noise from the other cars is unbelievable.
3,2,1, GO!
Lap 1:
As expected, got off to a sluggish start. The early predictions from the nay-sayers seem to be proven correct, as I'm consistantly around 5 seconds adrift for the whole of the first lap. Despite this the car feels planted and stable despite running a top end of around 193mph.

Lap 2:
Start to gain some ground now. It's crucial that I get some sort of draft before the end of this lap, else I'm toast. Fortunatly, I just about snatch a draft off the Evo going down the start-finish straight at the end of this lap. Time for the finale.

Lap 3:
Into T1, I move high, and go side-by-side with the TKR and the R32.5. The car still feels relativly stable despite the fact that I launched it into that corner at around 205mph.

Come off onto back straight in 4th place, but the lead, let alone the win, still doesn't look on. Still, I snatch another draft off the Evo, and coming into the final turn I'm doing around 215-220mph thanks to his slipstream. Despite this I am about a second or more behind - there is nothing else for it.

Every fibre of my body says to brake, or let off, but I don't. I keep my foot buried firmly in the carpet. I hit the turn, my head bounces as the car hit the banking, the rear end begins to shake and slip behind me. The tyres are only just gripping for dear life. The guys ahead have all let off the gas, just for a split second or two. My car shudders and skids. The G force is unbelievable - my neck is hurting and I could've sworn that my teeth are now somewhere in my right ear canal by now - but still, I have to keep the throttle buried. And I do. My eyes remain focused on one thing - the drag car.

Approaching the corner exit, and I have drawn alongside. Not good enough. Have to be at least ahead, or he will blow me away on the straight. The rear end steps out, just an inch or two, but still, no let-up. I manage to pass him, almost going sideways. Still about 300metres to go before the flag.

Quick glance in my rear-view mirror. I never normally use it, but now is the time. The drag car is coming up on my right, the Tom's Supra on my left. A quick move across the track to block off the Supra, which had momentum, then a tiny movement back right just to cut the momentum of the 180SX, and that's it. Buried to the carpet. I nail the shift into 6th.

I cross the line, and risk a glance out of my right window.

The nose of the 180SX is around where my rear wheel is. I've done it. I don't know where the Supra is, but there's no way he could have come up my inside, and equally no chance he could have switched.

Final standings
1. Toms Supra - Around 3 minutes 17 seconds.
2. HKS 180SX - +0.043 seconds
3. Tom's Supra - +0.189
4. Mines Lancer Evo - +0.451
5. Mines R32.5 Skyline - +around 2 seconds
6. Tommykaira R - +around 2 seconds.

My mind goes back to the words of the Japanese guy before the race, and I smile - that was definatly one of the best races I'd ever done.

....aaand out of fantasy mode :D
But seriously, that was a hell of a race. I loved it. But this is what we Gran Turismo-ers do - winning by a long distance in the Excuseo is no way to play GT. Driving on the very edge and winning by tenths and hundreds of seconds in thrilling finishes, however, is. So I'll sign out by paraphrasing the famous Mastercard ads:

Copy of Gran Turismo 2 - £30-40 when new
Laptop and emulator to play it on - £350
Beating a guy by barely a length in a car nobody gave a hope in hell - Priceless.
There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Gran Turismo :D

EDIT: Pictures will be up once Webshots starts playing ball :grumpy:
EDIT: Pictures now up :)

Last edited:
Good read 👍. I take my hats off to you! :) Man, you make me wanna do the same thing, see if I can do it too....but I'll use the TRD3000GT, just for some variation.

Cheers Legend :D All you need is a car with about 400hp or more and gearbox upgrades. Before this race I did it in a stock Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero, with only engine, turbo and transmission mods - no weight reduction, suspension, tyres or anything else - and won by about a half-second. It had about 427hp. Good luck - the TRD3000GT is a beauty of a car. I only chose the Toms because it had a lower starting HP. Some of the more superhuman racers on here can do it with 350hp cars, but thats anotehr story ;)

Nice write-up of one of my favorite races. It's fun sling-shotting off the HKS in this one; probably the only event in all of the GT series where you can win with 600 horsepower less than the fastest car.

Yeah, I always loved that thread. I was tempted to put this in there, but rather than flog a dying thread, just make a new one :D its just great fun racing in such close-quarter combat at 200mph, real thrill :)
And cheers Zukiru, I am aren't I? :dopey: I just like to make it a little more interesting than just a straight-up race report 💡

A bit delayed in my post, but that was a very good read, with some good pictures. An amazing race report, if you ask me, being very well-written, too. Do you plan any more?

Indeed I do. Maybe some on GT4,but GT2 is lke gravity - I can't help coming back to it :D so long as I can find good races to run and good (read: underpowed and outclassed) cars to run in the races, I'll be reporting on them. Well, when I say me, I mean one of my GT characters 💡

Wow. An actual GT2 race report written by a talented, capable driver! :) I wish the GT4 forum was packed with interested car-enthusiasts instead of cheaters, sub-rate drivers using overkill cars, etc....

--Gotta love the mountain in the background of those pics! Notice how in certain shots, the PS1 can't render them correctly and they turn into a giant, pixellated mess!

Haha you're right Parnelli :lol:. In fact, only the second picture has a decent background. Dunno why, but everytime I look at the background scenery of the GT1 & 2 Test Course I always think it's located in Norway.

EDIT: Finally I got to race last night. And boy it was one of the most awesome races I've ever done. Great fun indeed 👍.
Final results:

I didn't use the TRD because I've already RMed mine, and I can't be bothered to win another one, so I ended up using the Tom's instead. Parts installed are racing tranny, all power upgrades except turbo & intercooler, SS tires (I know, I cheated on this one) and WR3 (can't do much about it since I've already installed it before).

Wow. An actual GT2 race report written by a talented, capable driver! :)

Awsh stoppit, you're flatterin' me :sly:

Anyone got any ideas for new close races? perhaps a return to Test Course, just to embarress Team HKS even more?! They must hate me now, me and AAZ have seriosuly dented their pride :ouch:

Great work Legend! Im presuming you passed the HKS on entry to the final bend on the last lap, then got a little lead up round the corner before he closed up just before the line? 👍

Great work Legend! Im presuming you passed the HKS on entry to the final bend on the last lap, then got a little lead up round the corner before he closed up just before the line? 👍

That's right 👍. Got a double slipstream on the backstraight on the final lap from the RX7 and the HKS. Briefly touched 230 mph :eek: before the last bend. Once that HKS braked, I know it has no chance. Didn't even need to look in my rear view mirror on the dash to the finish. But that's because I'm using WR3 and SS tires. If I use the exact same parts as you the results would probably be closer.

I guess so. I remember using sports tyres which were a handful whenever you got over 210mph ish, on the banks. Just kinda skidded. Sometimes bounced off the wall, now thats a 'new underpants' moment :scared:

Im not sure how much difference Weight Reduction does around here, I think its more a case of outright power, because I remember doing this race in a Silvia Spec R Aero (the one bought new) with 427hp and NO modifications except engine, turbo and transmission mods. No new tyres, brakes, WR, anything. And I won by about the same distance you did. It might make a difference in terms of power-to-weight, but i think the most important bit here is horsepower and the gearbox ratio to most effectivly use that power 👍

I think...God im blethering on as if im some kinda expert :dunce:

I guess so. I remember using sports tyres which were a handful whenever you got over 210mph ish, on the banks. Just kinda skidded. Sometimes bounced off the wall, now thats a 'new underpants' moment :scared:

When I have time I'll try using sports tires. That sounds fun :D.

Im not sure how much difference Weight Reduction does around here, I think its more a case of outright power, because I remember doing this race in a Silvia Spec R Aero (the one bought new) with 427hp and NO modifications except engine, turbo and transmission mods. No new tyres, brakes, WR, anything. And I won by about the same distance you did. It might make a difference in terms of power-to-weight, but i think the most important bit here is horsepower and the gearbox ratio to most effectivly use that power 👍

I think...God im blethering on as if im some kinda expert :dunce:

It doesn't make that much difference except on acceleration, and helps a bit with handling (less weight means less inertia). So yes power is most important, but every little bit also helps. And in a high speed race like this a couple of milliseconds can decide whether you win or lose. I'll try without WR too if I have time and see what I can do.

Oh, don't worry about being the expert thing. You got the basics pretty much spot on 👍.

Haha, ok. I knew it was sometihng like that. Anyway, I should be girding my loins for another crack at this race, this time in another Toyota, the Altezza 280T. This is another car you seen tuned to explode at this race, but my benchmark will be 385hp, with only suspension and gearbox mods alongside the performance modifications. No weight reduction or anything....well okay maybe Stage 1. And Sports tyres, because if I remember rightly the Altezza is heavier than my Toms Supra. Ill have to double check. Anyway, if anybody else wants to give it a go go ahead, this thread was meant to inspire others to do a similar thing.

Back