Need help with custom music.

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 10 comments
United States
St.Pete, FL
NotThePrez
NotThePrez
I got the GTPSP pack today(btw, Happy Christmas fellow GTPlanateers!) and I just unlocked the feature to play my own music. I have music on my memory stick, but it won't play when I activate it.

If it helps: I took the music from my PS#, which I downloaded off of iTunes originally.

As far as I know, and from my own experience, you can only listen to MP3s. I have a large collection of WMAs in my library but they will not play. Such a large proportion of my music was WMA format that I quickly got bored of the custom music and turned the feature off all together.

Someone is likely to be able to confirm this, it probably has been already elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah i have that problem. Its in mp3 format and i saved them in tons of music files. What gives?

Do the MP3s play on the PSP from the XMB? If so, what is the bit-rate of the MP3s? They might have to be encoded at 44.1 KHz or need to be a certain bit-rate. CBR (constant bit rate) is most likely, not VBR (variable bit rate). They may also have to be at least 128 kbps or more (256 or 320). I can't say for sure... sorry.

Do the MP3s play on the PSP from the XMB? If so, what is the bit-rate of the MP3s? They might have to be encoded at 44.1 KHz or need to be a certain bit-rate. CBR (constant bit rate) is most likely, not VBR (variable bit rate). They may also have to be at least 128 kbps or more (256 or 320). I can't say for sure... sorry.

It plays from the memory stick. It says in the info:

Sampling frequency: 48.000 kHz

Codec MP3 192 kbps.

Anything i can do about it?

It plays from the memory stick. It says in the info:

Sampling frequency: 48.000 kHz

Codec MP3 192 kbps.

Anything i can do about it?

Well, you could re-encode them with the proper sampling rate (44.1 kHz). You may want to find another MP3 to test and make sure that is the problem. Re-encoding any lossy file (like an MP3) seriously degrades the sound quality, but that might not be that big of an issue if you're only going to use those file on your PSP.

Well, you could re-encode them with the proper sampling rate (44.1 kHz). You may want to find another MP3 to test and make sure that is the problem. Re-encoding any lossy file (like an MP3) seriously degrades the sound quality, but that might not be that big of an issue if you're only going to use those file on your PSP.

I used a youtube to mp3 converter. I used it to put music on youtibe to be read as mp3 format.

Ok i got somewhere my memory stick reads it but still doesnt play, how do i re emcode it like you said?

Will it work if i put shortcuts to the music cause i have them in a different location and don't want to move it.

It worked!! It was the frequency!

To the person who started this thread this should help ya.

Back