Tharain's Tuning Temple / NSX-R Proto LM Road Car tune released (updated 24/01/11)

• Thread starter Tharain
  • 255 comments
Thanks for testing, good to hear the tunes handle well in other hands ;)

The setup for my FGT is almost done, won Fuji already just have to test the other tracks aswell. And I already drove the FGT on the Nordschleife... what a blast 6:44 with crash in the 24h layout... so I guess my setup is not that bad at all :)

I think I'll release it tomorrow because today i spent much time in tuning an Italia,Audi and Zonda which will be my following tunes maybe... ;)

Hello Racers,

here it is! One of the most anticipated tunes so far for one of the fastest cars ingame.
Get ready for a car similar to a F1-car but I would guess it is even faster ;)

Welcome to the famous Formula Gran Turismo.

fgtfinal.jpg

Notes:
This car is so fast, it will blow your mind away :D
Watch out in the high revs, it tends to oversteer!

Tuning: to the max (687kw/550kg/7960.1km driven) - Test - Center - Results

Aero: 70/90

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 430kmh seems quite good

Torque Split: n/a

LSD: 30/30/30

Suspension:
Height: -8/-8
Springs: 16.0/14.0
Dampers (Ext): 8/5
Dampers (Com): 8/5
Anti-Roll: 6/6

Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe: 0.0/0.20

Brakes: 8/7

This setup gave me positive results regarding the over/understeering
and I managed to win the FGT-championship on the 1st try altough the AI in this challenge is very annoying :D

Feedback is as always welcome :)

Last edited:
Edit: Sorry, forgot to note that this is with the Minolta Toyota 88C-V

this is an OK tune. I was able to place gold GT All Stars in a-spec with this.

I would like to see something that weeds out the squirrely-ness of the, especially on Nurburgring, the car is just not precise enough and is very difficult to manage.

Thanks for the settings.

Yeah the Minolta is not easy to drive! I'm kind of used to it now and i don't have anymore problems with the oversteer, just watch your throttle ;)

Is it a good allround tuning? I'd say you would need to lower the downforce on tracks like Monza or other fast tracks.

With the current settings the Minolta drives 350km/h which is enough on Monza, on the Nordschleife you can drive up to 370-380km/h.

Minolta Race Car
Aero: 60/85

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 380kmh seems quite good

LSD: 30/30/30

Suspension:
Height: -28/-28
Springs: 14.8/17.5
Dampers (Ext): 8/8
Dampers (Com): 8/8
Anti-Roll: 6/3

Camber: 0.5/0.5
Toe: 0/0.20

Brakes: 8/7[/FONT][/CENTER][/SIZE]

I changed the wheel seetings from the stock values you had to:
Camber: +0.05 R / -0.05 F
Toe: 1.8 F / 1.2 R
and picked up almost another full second per lap on Indy.
With this tune my B-Spec Bob lapped in the entire field in 15 laps.
I'll be interested to see how my boys do after all 200 laps are done.
👍

My fairly good Bozo spun the FGT 4 times at Monaco. Also, RS tires sound pretty noisy, like lack of grip noisy. My Aero is a smidge above default.

My fairly good Bozo spun the FGT 4 times at Monaco. Also, RS tires sound pretty noisy, like lack of grip noisy. My Aero is a smidge above default.

Noticed that too, that on Monaco the setup is worse than on other tracks.
The setup for the FGT is by far not done but already very solid to get gold in the FGT-Championship.

I'll work on it as soon as I've got enough time ;)

I don't know if it's this particular Bozo, but I need to babysit him. He'll get a good lead (like Fuji) and then get really cool and slow way down. This is ok to conserve. The problem is when the AI catches up, it naturally elevates his mood, causing more tire abuse and fuel consumption.

I had to pit at Fuji with 10 to go. At Indy I gambled and forced him to stay out when he wanted to pit on lap 36! With almost a full lap gap on 2nd, he nursed it around. On coming onto the oval for the last time, he ran the tank dry!!! Putting along at 50mph isn't fun! He win with an 18 second or so gap on 2nd place.

Once he got the lead at Monaco, he cruised along nice and cool, finished well ahead with fuel and tires to go another 10 laps easily.

Just for fun, I'm maxing out aero for Nurburgring GP

Tharain, I know you're busy with trying to tune a crap ton of cars, but if you ever get around to maybe doing a Peugeot 908 HDi FAP – Team Oreca Matmut ‘10, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've used your tunes for the Minolta, GT LM Spec II, Ruf CTR2 and the Furai and I've loved all the tunes. My lap times on average dropped a few seconds for each vehicle.

I really appreciate how you're not some hard headed, stubborn person who won't accept the fact that he might have something wrong.

You listen to feedback and if the feedback is valid you go with it.

I'm hoping to have enough money saved up over the next couple days to where I can get a FGT and try out your tune for that one as well.

I've used your tunes for the Minolta, GT LM Spec II, Ruf CTR2 and the Furai and I've loved all the tunes. My lap times on average dropped a few seconds for each vehicle.

Thanks, nice to hear :)

As soon as i get a hand on the Peugot 908 I'll make a tune for it for sure :)

There are so much cars I would like to tune but I prefer quality over quantity therefor I'll take my time ;)

Just to let you guys know,
I'll have some updates incoming for the Ford GT LM, the RUF CTR2 aswell as a new tunes for the Le Mans quattro and the Zonda R '09.

The updates are mostly because of online racing experience and the difference to offline racing.

ETA on the new setup is maybe today, latest tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
Tried the formula gt setup but it still drives like a caricature of an f1 car.

The thing can't even turn at semi high speed without using the throttle or brake (nautral weight) without going into some ridiculous uncontrollable oversteer spin (without trottle rofl) the moment any wheel loses traction for 0.1seconds or the moment any tyre gets hot.

Doesn't handle anything like a 500 KG car with it's centre of gravity almost touching the ground and big ass tyres on it should.
It's like someone told them 'durrr formula won no handle gud wivout downforce' so they just decide to add some modifier behind the scenes to overaccentuate whatever some random f1 'insider' told them the cars respond and handle like, meanwhile a car 1000 lbs heavier that sits way higher on it's wheels has no such issues in the same corner at higher speed.

They did the same thing with the rally mode (car handling like a bar of soap on a wet floor), thankfully there just setting the torque ratio to 30/70 instead of 20/80 or w/e it's at by default fixes things.

Oh and the thing has the turning circle of a freight carrier when standing still.

I have a sneeky feeling that driving this FGT car without a steering wheel is nigh on impossible :grumpy: It's extremely difficult to keep it steady in corners with the dual shock...very frustrating since I've been so looking forward to driving this car but It's a real handfull.

Yes, i can't even imagine to drive it with stick :)

I'm close to finishing the Zonda R '09 tune, should be up in a couple of hours :)

Hello again Racers,

who wouldn't have expected it, this is so far one of the most entertaining cars to drive.
It is fast like hell and surprisingly good to handle.
I managed to drive sub 6:20 on the Nordschleife after the first test runs so it will get close to the 6 minute mark.

Edit: With further tuning this monster is breaking the 6 minute mark (5:54.886)!

Lets get ready for some serious speed, delivered by the Zonda R '09.

zondar09final.jpg

Notes:
Maybe one of the fastest cars - be aware of its speed 💡

Tuning: to the max (713kw/1070kg/453.5km driven) - Test - Center - Results

Aero: 40/65

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 420kmh seems quite good

LSD: 50/40/30

Suspension:
Height: -28/-28
Springs: 12.0/11.0
Dampers (Ext): 7/8
Dampers (Com): 5/6
Anti-Roll: 5/6

Camber: 1.5/1.0
Toe: 0.10/0.00

Brakes: 8/7

As mentioned above, with some fine tuning this monster is capable of maybe crushing the 6 minute mark, of course this has to be a perfect lap without any mistakes which is very difficult at this high level of speed :nervous:

Edit: Further tuning pushed this beast below the magic 6 minute mark!

Hope you have some fun with it ;)

Last edited:
Hi Tharain,

Well done on the setups:tup: Im not much of a tuner myself so I tried your FGT setup. Sadly it didnt work as intended for me. The handling to me is unpredictable to start of with and your setup did little to help.:guilty: I think thats more down to my driving style rather than the setup itself. I always drive with all assists off (including ABS) and like to be fairly aggressive in finding the limit. With this car i find it works better to be really disciplined. Anyway I made my own setup and did a few laps around Fuji to test and managed a 1.15.1 after 6 laps. Im not sure if that's good or not as there are no scoreboards and im sure once im more confident with the i can go quite a bit quicker. Having said that using assists would be quicker still, but i wouldn't do that.:sly:

My setups is as follows

Aero:
F - 68
R - 90

Transmission:
Max speed 286mph (460kph) - makes 3rd more usable. Dont bother with 7th

Diff:
I - 58
A - 60
B - 40

Suspension:
1 1
16.0 16.0
8 8
8 8
7 7

Alignment unchanged

Brakes:
front 5
Rear 4

This is a setup mainly designed for drivers using no assists and a wheel. Hope that helps.

Hrm.. Is it messed up that I managed a 7:22 on the Ring in my GTR that doesn't have any power upgrades? Seems very fast to me.

Just lightweight everything, full aero kit, Sport Softs (not even Race tires), Custom trans, and LSD.

Kind of scared of what this car could be if I do all mods. I think it might be the best road car in the game. SO easy to drive.

Hey Tharain, love your FGT, Minolta, and Zonda R tunes.

I was wondering about the future tune for the McLaren F1 Stealth. I have the normal version of the McLaren F1, bought it from the dealership. Will your future tune be compatible with both cars, when they're fully maxed?

It's because I haven't tuned my current maxed McLaren F1 yet. The car has some serious understeer, seems as if the front tires doesn't have any grip whatsoever. It's a nightmare to properly corner at speed.

Hey Tharain, love your FGT, Minolta, and Zonda R tunes.

I was wondering about the future tune for the McLaren F1 Stealth. I have the normal version of the McLaren F1, bought it from the dealership. Will your future tune be compatible with both cars, when they're fully maxed?

First of all, thanks for your feedback :)
Second, i don't really know it thesetup for the F1-stealth will be compatible with the "normal" F1... but I guess the setup will suit quite good :)

Maybe I'll add it tonight before I take 3 days off (x-mas ;))

First of all, thanks for your feedback :)
Second, i don't really know it thesetup for the F1-stealth will be compatible with the "normal" F1... but I guess the setup will suit quite good :)

Maybe I'll add it tonight before I take 3 days off (x-mas ;))

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Stealth and "normal" cars have different default driving dynamics. But, I'm hopeful that the setup will be great. :)

Ok guys, just to give you an update,
I'll add some tunes between X-mas and new year :)
There will be added 2 german cars and one british but no further information because I want to keep the tension ;)

Wish you all Merry Christmas :)

I dont know what Im doing wrong, but the Zonda is spinning round around. I use the PS3 Pad with no aids. It feels like the Zonda has no traction at the rear. Im using soft racing tyres, and I can easily handle the Toyota Minolta and the Formula Gran Turismo :)

I dont know what Im doing wrong, but the Zonda is spinning round around. I use the PS3 Pad with no aids. It feels like the Zonda has no traction at the rear. Im using soft racing tyres, and I can easily handle the Toyota Minolta and the Formula Gran Turismo :)

Maybe you need to adjust the LSD or add traction control, I don't know because I'm using a G25 and i have almost no over/understeer :)

Merry Christmas to you all,
before i go 3 days off i just wanted to give you guys something you can play around with!
This car is fast as hell and handles like a dream, what should you expect of a DTM race car?!
It makes alot of fun to drive this geerman car and you can surprise some people online with it ;)
I speak of the Audi A4 Touring Car '04.

a4touringfinal.jpg

Notes:
Maybe one of the fastest DTM Race Cars! :)

Tuning: to the max (465kw/1080kg/125.7km driven) - Test - Center - Results

Aero: 20/45

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 360kmh seems quite good

LSD: 20/30/30

Suspension:
Height: -10/-10
Springs: 14.4/12.8
Dampers (Ext): 8/8
Dampers (Com): 8/8
Anti-Roll: 6/6

Camber: 1.0/0.5