The CLOSEST Finish of my GT2 Career! (GT All-Stars at SS Route 5)

• Thread starter Falcon787B
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
London
JohnsonCapote
Okay, well I wasn't initially going to report this race as it was done to simply warm me up for bigger challenges, but after having one of the most thrilling battles I can ever remember, I feel I HAVE to share this with you in full. So take a second to sit back and enjoy this bite-size race report from:

GRAN TURISMO
ALL STARS: RACE 2

at
Special Stage Route 5

CC_tr_SpecialStageRoute5.gif

picture.php

(The usual thanks for AMG for the track map.)

My car for this race was my humble [R]Audi S4, which I'd dragged out of retirement and was warming up for some future enduro assaults:

Car: 1998 Audi S4 [R]
Engine: 2.7L V6 DOHC
Horsepower: 496hp
Weight: 1289kg
Drivetrain: 4WD
Tyres: Super-Softs all round.

Up against the following grid of some of the very best the Gran Turismo universe could offer:

1. 1997 Nissan R390GT1
2. 1998 Lotus Elise GT1
3. 1995 Venturi Atlantique 600LM
4. 1992 Jaguar XJ220 GT Race Car (wow, as opposed to what - a lawnmower or something?!:yuck:)
5. 1999 Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca

So, not expecting much on my return to full-on competitive racing (having spent the last few months messing around in starter cars), I tensed in readiness for the start, unaware of the five laps of mayhem to come...

Laps 1-5

I got a half-decent start on the Viper next to me, and hung tough with it and the Jaguar through the first few corners. I swarm the back bumper of the Jaguar from corner to corner, before sneaking by at the T9 hairpin and holding it off for the rest of the lap, where it blatted past along the never-ending front stretch. I was quickly back by through the T1 tunnel, and was flung straight into a furious dogfight going on between the Elise, Viper and Venturi - and boy were they going at it! I felt like I was in the middle of a pack of wild dogs! I ground past the Venturi through T7 and 8, before he stuck the nose in and went to pass again in the T9 hairpin - as I was making a move on the Viper!! :ouch: Somehow fenders ground and banged and I made it out the other side, before chasing down the Lotus through the esses and slithering up the inside out of the long final turn! :sly:

Time for defensive mode once again along the straight, but once again it was useless - the Lotus, Dodge and Venturi both swept by effortlessly, with the Lotus and the Dodge going either side of me to make it 3-wide once more! Christ guys, which one of you has the deathwish?!? :ill::yuck::crazy:

The pendulum swung back to me as soon as everyone hit the brakes, though, and I repaid the favour by shooting the gap between the Lotus and the Dodge through the T1 tunnel. Then came a furious skirmish with the Venturi, with the Dodge in hot pursuit still - the sod just won't give up! I clear the Venturi down at the T9 hairpin, and a nice flat run through the T12 complex puts the R390GT1 in sight at last. Well, not for long - someone leans on the fast forward button off the final turn, and he disappears from view, as once again I'm swarmed by a hungry pack of motorised piranhas! :nervous:

By now the Lotus and Jaguar have faded, but the terrible trio of my Audi, the suicidal Dodge and the persistant Venturi are now ganging up on the hapless Nissan! I sweep round the OUTSIDE of the Venturi and Dodge off of T6, and my new-found bravery means I pull off the perfect divebomb move on the leading Nissan! He seems so stunned that he's just been passed by a repmobile that he swiftly looses 2nd to the Viper too! I swear I must've done something to annoy that Dodge, as he just WON'T let me get away!!

One lap to go then, and this time the Dodge bump-drafts me down the front stretch before he, the Venturi and the Nissan once again swoop by. For the final time, we pile into T1 like one big swarm of angry wasps, and I somehow emerge on the other side back in the lead once again! Now the tension rises, as I have to somehow put enough distance between me and the relentless Dodge before the dreaded final straight. No matter what I did, throwing my Audi through the corners at speeds a four-door saloon was never made to go, the white-and-blue shape didn't leave my rear mirror. Like some sort of four-wheeled Terminator, it just kept coming.

I fly through the final T12 complex and catch a bit of understeer through T13, just nudging the wall coming off. Now my heart is racing faster than my Audi's engine. Where is he? Where is he?!

Here he comes. He feints to the left, then gives my back bumper a barge before swinging right. Surely I've not got enough left?! I move to block, but his nose is already there! Door panels grind desperately and the engines scream to a crescendo - just a little bit further Audi, you can do it!!!

IMG00323-20111106-1501.jpg

0.017s.The distance between victory and second place was just 0.017s.

I'd snatched the unlikeliest of victories by about the same time it takes to blink.

Now you see why I just HAD to share this all with you.

My previous closest ever finish was 0.043s, in a fantastic nail-biting last-corner dash in the Turbo Car Cup at Test Course.But this was something else. It's taken me half an hour, a cold shower and a cup of tea to calm down after the finish to this one. What a brilliant race.

Thanks for reading guys, I hope you enjoyed it :)

And one last thing - feel free to share in this thread YOUR thrilling finish stories as well. I'd love to hear them, and see whether my 0.017s finish is some sort of GT2 record...I doubt it is, but I'm not going to go back and attempt to beat it! :crazy: Haha!

Cheers again folks. Now, time for the rest of the GT All-Stars...:mischievous:

Last edited:
I did just have a finish about as close as yours, but can't remember the details.

What I do remember is a similar thread I started a while back, and in particular my photo-journal of an extremely hard fought win at Touring Cars Grand Valley in my BMW 328Ci vs an R34 V-Spec and a Supra RZ.

Love this kind of racing in GT2!

And, I'm about to start a similar thread about Synthesizer Events...

Wow, so that's the secret, eh? Make sure the Toyota TSO20 doesn't show up. The Toyota would have upset the race for sure. It's cool that all 5 cars finished up within 3 seconds of each other, though. Neat stuff.

Off-topic: since you live in England, can you tell us what happened on the M5 motorway? The 27-car pileup that is? We're getting news here in America that a nearby fireworks show blew a lot of smoke onto the road, and people couldn't see.

I did just have a finish about as close as yours, but can't remember the details.

What I do remember is a similar thread I started a while back, and in particular my photo-journal of an extremely hard fought win at Touring Cars Grand Valley in my BMW 328Ci vs an R34 V-Spec and a Supra RZ.

Love this kind of racing in GT2!

And, I'm about to start a similar thread about Synthesizer Events...

Yeah, ain't it just the best? :sly: Ever since I first read the works of the legendary Smallhorses in the GT4 forums (go check his stuff out, it's seriously incredible stuff), I've been inspired to go hunting for the closest, most thrilling races possible in the GT world. That's where I started, in GT4, but a lot of my closest tussles have come in GT2, hence why i keep coming back to it! 👍

Thanks for the heads up on that thread, I'll have a browse - I'm looking for ideas for some new enduros anyway, so I might be able to derive something from that :)

Wow, so that's the secret, eh? Make sure the Toyota TSO20 doesn't show up. The Toyota would have upset the race for sure. It's cool that all 5 cars finished up within 3 seconds of each other, though. Neat stuff.

Off-topic: since you live in England, can you tell us what happened on the M5 motorway? The 27-car pileup that is? We're getting news here in America that a nearby fireworks show blew a lot of smoke onto the road, and people couldn't see.

I dunno...one the one hand, I had the beating of the TS020 in the SSR5 50-Lap Enduro race until my tyres gave out, but on the other hand, the AI seem to drive much harder in the All-Stars! I guess they're smarter than we give them credit for? :dunce:

Yeah, it was an intense race. NO-ONE dropped away off the pace, there was basically no field-fillers - everyone bar perhaps the Jaguar were on pace, and even though the Lotus wasn't on the pace, the fact he started high up the grid meant it was a battle to get through him, and he was in the thick of the combat. The Dodge, Venturi and Nissan though were something else! Like a pack of wild piranhas - the Viper especially. When I said I needed a cold shower to calm down after that race, I'm not joking. I was more exhausted after 5 laps of racing than I sometimes have been after 40, 50, even 90 laps of racing! :sly:

On the off topic thread...You've got it just about right. That's what people are saying, anyway. It's thought that a bonfire and the smoke from the fireworks was being blown across the road and mixing in with the already heavy fog to basically make it undriveable. Would explain why there were cars slamming basically full-speed into the already-existing wreckage, as opposed to like slowing down beforehand, yknow?

Congrats - I love when you get a good close race! 👍 I always like grabbing 'normal' cars and racing them up against the all-stars - it usually produces some really interesting racing. It also reminds me of my closet ever finish.

It wasn't in a GT game, but the closest finish I ever had was in NASCAR 2000. I was racing against my dad at Pocono. We set the length to the full length with pitstops and everything, and by the last turn of the last lap we were beating fenders down the frontstretch and I lost by 0.001 seconds. :grumpy: Disappointing, but I remember being thrilling at how close and hard the racing was.

Me too AMCNUT. GT has basically been revived for me ever since I got hooked on the concept of deliberately looking for a close race, rather than overkilling everything just to get my game completion percentage up. It's the main reason why I keep coming back to GT2/4! I also find that the all-star cars are just too easy to beat if you use one of them - for example, if you race a Toyota GT-One in the All-Stars against other cars of that ilk, it becomes too easy. However, race modify a regular car and you can create all sorts of giant-killing possibilities - I'm currently building a NISMO R-32 Skyline into a Group A touring car clone, ready for a potential assault on the All-Stars and several enduros, alongside my beloved S4 that I used in this particular race :)

Ahh, I loved that game! I'm a big NASCAR fan (well I was...kinda drifting away from it last few seasons), and my uncle passed that game onto me, and I loved it. That game taught me a lot about tyre conservation - so many times I'd wear out the tyres miles before the AI, and I'd be left frustrated! Haha. That's an awesome story about racing your dad on that game! Must've been so exhilirating going down the frontstretch side by side - gutting to loose, but still a thrill to be involved in. I've had that a few times in Gran Turismo - loosing a close race, but still enjoying the experience. Hell, it's much better than just using the Escudo eh? ;)

Yeah, my dad STILL doesn't let me forget about that race, and it was like, 10 years ago! :embarrassed:

But I remember in GT2 I took one of the new Camaros and fully modded it, and then took on the All-Star crew. It was close, and I had to drive a virtually perfect race, but I was able to come out on top! Your aforementioned S4 was also a beast if I remember correctly, and I could work wonders with the Mercedes C43 AMG as well. There are probably tons more cars if I stop and think about it some more, but it certainly was good times!

That's great that you two can share a racing memory like that!

But I came back to this thread because I was just testing the Skyline 280MR and one of the test tracks is SSR5, the other Red Rock. Since I intend to test all Skylines eventually, SSR5 at All Stars is a natural choice, very twisty and no max hp. Well, before race modding I was thrashed by the GT40 Race Car but came in a respectable 3rd with best lap times in the 1:19's. Just took the 280MR out again after race modding and, yup, here's the Toyota GT-One to spoil my chances for a rematch. The 280MR peaks at 551hp fully tuned, 50 less that the S4, but it also weighs in about 100kg lighter. Knew I had the potential to win, though, as I take the corners much more aggressively and faster than the AI. Fought for 3rd for much of the race but on the final lap drove like a maniac and yet cornered perfectly, and as a result passed the GT-One after the back hairpin, down the hill still in first, managed the twisty bits before the on-ramp to the straight like a pro, and held a respectable lead to the line. Nothing like a last lap victory at the All Stars! Fastest lap in the 1:17's.

closerace.jpg

Wow my fading memory.

I have no recollection of an [R]Audi S4. IIRC race-mod options were pretty rare for European cars in general?

In online GT5 racing Me and a guy named SlyakaGreyFox were racing GT300s on Special Stage Route 7 and we were in a mad battle for 2nd place for 5 laps.....On lap 5 I was in 3rd and he was 2nd and what happened is around the last corner I got a little loose and was Furious because I thought I had no hope after that...

Little did I know my Autobacs held some of the draft of his Asparadrink and pulled into second place at the finish line by an astonishing -0.001

Now you may believe this you may not...I have no photo evidence to prove atm (It might've not even taken place on SSR7) But if you want me to get a picture I have the replay saved.

Edit: Sorry I don't have many memories of thrilling GT2 races...But if you want to hear my stories of my two ties and other thrilling GT5 online endeavors just ask lol.

jomama2010
In online GT5 racing Me and a guy named SlyakaGreyFox were racing GT300s on Special Stage Route 7 and we were in a mad battle for 2nd place for 5 laps.....On lap 5 I was in 3rd and he was 2nd and what happened is around the last corner I got a little loose and was Furious because I thought I had no hope after that...

Little did I know my Autobacs held some of the draft of his Asparadrink and pulled into second place at the finish line by an astonishing -0.001

Now you may believe this you may not...I have no photo evidence to prove atm (It might've not even taken place on SSR7) But if you want me to get a picture I have the replay saved.

Edit: Sorry I don't have many memories of thrilling GT2 races...But if you want to hear my stories of my two ties and other thrilling GT5 online endeavors just ask lol.

I've had something close to that it was a crazy battle for 1st... Jesus drafts can help you a lot but I don't remember if I won

I got a close victory where 2nd was +0.001. It was the 2nd round of the Clubman Cup (Grindelwald) where my Prelude '93 just narrowly beat an XJR (or as the game calls it, a Jaguar XJR XJR Vehicle).

Back