Profanity

• Thread starter Acidman
  • 29 comments
As stated in the AUP:
You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

Since profaine words will be blocked by the swear filter such as if I were to say **** in one of my posts, I was wondering is it still unlawful to post swear words even if when we hit the "Submit Reply Button" we know that our profaine words will be blocked?

I ***ing hope not, or we're all in the ****.

I guess it depends on the context. Someone got banned the other day after a bunch of stupid-ass posts, terminating in a **** YOU FAMINE, a further NEON YOUR MOTHER TASTED GOOD, and a final **** YOU NEON. Clearly no attempt to restrain his puerile little mind, coupled with a pair of personal attacks and a "sexually suggestive".

Littering posts with a barrage of asterisk-ed out words is probably classed like that too.

But most of the rest of us, who have proved to be at least partially useful members (fnarr), can get away with the odd **** here and there - in a comedic context, or occasionally sheer exasperation.

(I manually typed all my ****s, in case anyone DOES get offended).

The swear filter is simply a tool used to enforce the AUP. I wouldn't recommend using it [the swear filter] any more than you have to.

But nonetheless, people who are unable to refrain from using the swear filter repeatedly in the same post are inviting at the very least the attentions of a moderator - possibly armed with a boot... :D

Originally posted by chris100575
Does this mean we're in trouble for our discussion on underage sex?
Is this the thread you're referring to? If so, then no, that is well within the boundaries. I just got done reading through it, and it is turning out to be a great, mature, interesting discussion.

Am I being too English or could we put the letters "stfu" in the swear filter? When they're used they're hardly ever humourous and often meant to be, well, bloody rude, really... They never really help a discussion, is what I'm trying to say...

I wonder if Famine can find a word where they appear innocently...:)

FastEddie12
Am I being too English or could we put the letters "stfu" in the swear filter? When they're used they're hardly ever humourous and often meant to be, well, bloody rude, really... They never really help a discussion, is what I'm trying to say...

I wonder if Famine can find a word where they appear innocently...:)

I'm sure there must be a fistful of words that contain 'stfu'... I'm not sure about the need to add it to the swear filter, but I would certainly recommend reporting any post where the term is used offensively.

Because the worst profanities are often 4 lettres I use 5 stars;) Just to give a sign I typed them on my own.

Even when I swear as a "joke" way, I usually just use an "*" to fill in a letter or 2.

As for "stfu", I can't really think of any word that uses those 4 letters like that (though a Premium Membership says Famine can).

*McLaren*
Even when I swear as a "joke" way, I usually just use an "*" to fill in a letter or 2.

As for "stfu", I can't really think of any word that uses those 4 letters like that (though a Premium Membership says Famine can).

Re-read Touring Mars's post above...

Perhaps I was being a bit wistful about it, it's just that some members get a bit too boastful and they upset other members who become lustful...

Actually, maybe I should stfu...

just a quick question, I was under the impression that stfu was short for stuff you, which in my personal opinion isn't offensive, if used in a humorous way.

@ed - You brought that up due to my recent use of it didn't you?

gOoSeTeR
@ed - You brought that up due to my recent use of it didn't you?

Actually no! There was some kid who quickly got banned in an old thread I bumped into. Shows how much I pay attention, though, cos I hadn't actually notice you use it... :lol:

But I'm sure most ppl read it as "Shut Up" with extra sauce...

FastEddie12
But I'm sure most ppl read it as "Shut Up" with extra sauce...

Hahaha, never thought of that! But now I see it, it makes sense, I shall refrain from using it in the future.

No, STFU isn't really offensive to me and I don't think there's any need to add it to the swear filter.

STFU falls into 2 categories. The first, it's kinda like the person is trying to get around the swear filter, then second, its also an example of the "laziness' issue. The "r" "u" "plz" things.

PERFECT BALANCE
STFU falls into 2 categories. The first, it's kinda like the person is trying to get around the swear filter, then second, its also an example of the "laziness' issue. The "r" "u" "plz" things.

O RLY?

It's an abbreviation, like LASER, RADAR, SCUBA and WOMBAT.

Mmmm, not quite the meaning I had in mind. Check the Urban Dictionary instead.

:lol: Well, now we can get this thread back on topic.

I'm not offended by "stfu" or by anything anyone on the internet says to me..but I don't think saying "stfu" has ever added anything useful to a thread on GTP.

STFU belongs in the same class as RTFM. It's swearing without actually swearing, and if there's no actual swearing there's no problem.

Famine
Mmmm, not quite the meaning I had in mind. Check the Urban Dictionary instead.

Any of these what you were suggesting?

A joint so big (usually 8 inches or longer and 3-4 inches thick) that after smoking it you are paralized.

An ugly chick

1) What to call one of your mates if he won't come to the footy with you....
2) Standing for W.Women, O.Over, M.Mates, B.Beer, A.And, T.Television

The plug of hair found in the plug hole of bath tubs & shower recesses.

The act of taking a bong hit while upside-down.

;)

Famine
O RLY?

It's an abbreviation, like LASER, RADAR, SCUBA and WOMBAT.
Well, I thought of that too, but those are more "official" while STFU is just something some person made up, most likely because he/she was too lazy to write out the entire thing.

EDIT: Plus, the ones like "RADAR" are acually read as a word, while STFU is just written like that, but when saying it, you usually say the words that they stand for.

I actually say "RTFM" out loud in the real world, never the non-contracted version...

Hate to be pedantic, but LASER, SCUBA and RADAR are acronyms, not abbreviations, although technically acronyms are a form of abbreviation.

e.g. "Mr. Famine, you'll be well advised to RTFM before using the SCUBA gear!

This sentence contains an abbreviation, Mr. abbreviated from Mister.
A contraction, you'll contracted from you will.
An initialism, (a form of abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately) RTFM formed from the initals for, well, you know what it stands for!
And an acronym, SCUBA which is when the initials of the words used to form it make a pronouncable word. In this case Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.

*edit* Some of the best forms of non-swearing profanity can be found here:-

Roger's Profanisaurus

Not that I'd encourage anyone to use half of the things in here. :guilty:
Let me know if this is considered offensive and I'll remove the link. :(

Ebiggs
Any of these what you were suggesting?

I can't be certain that it's what Famine had in mind, but my favourite explosion of WOMBAT is Waste Of Money, Bandwidth And Time.

Like most forms of swearing, STFU's offensiveness is entirely contextual. GTPlanet staff are entirely capable of discerning when its use is problematic for the community.

GilesGuthrie
Like most forms of swearing, STFU's offensiveness is entirely contextual. GTPlanet staff are entirely capable of discerning when its use is problematic for the community.

It's ironic that we're looking to ban it for a child-friendly website, because every time I've seen that 4-letter acronym, it's always seems to come from our under-18 population, usually after the've run out of witty returns or knowledge.

Don't ask Jordan to ban more words. It doesn't work.

Back