GT4 Driving Physics

I wish that I could justify the extra 115 quid that I would have to spend on the wheel (And it's lap attachment) But I truly can't... I had difficulty justifying 11 quid for GT4:P!!

Although having played it I justified it instantly to myself... although my girlfriend is still unsure!!! (Although she did want to have a go last night (Typically when I was in the middle of trying to get the last gold!!!!))

C.

JAGUAR
When you drive the competition cars like the F1 GTR, you only have to turn the wheel a tiny amount compared to a road car.

The sensitivity/turn of the wheel is different for all the cars.

Half a turn is virtually full lock on the F1 GTR, compared to two and a half turns for a regular road car.
That's interesting to know! Thanks Jaguar :)

I suppose it takes some training before one is accustomed to each car ...

Buggy Boy
That's interesting to know! Thanks Jaguar :)

I suppose it takes some training before one is accustomed to each car ...

Its pretty instinctive as you can feel what the cars doing.

I really, really like the sound of the wheels degree of turning changing for each car.

GTXLR
Its pretty instinctive as you can feel what the cars doing.

Thats exactly right.

Before I bought the Force Pro wheel, I had read few reviews of the wheel. Most were older reviews, using GT3, not GT4P. I had also not read any of the threads talking about driver assists etc.

However when I used the wheel for the first time, with GT4P, it was immediately obvious that it felt right, and was realistic.

Forget any other experience you have had, on a console, with a wheel. The Force Pro Wheel, with GT4P, takes console driving to a whole new level.

Eagle, you're right...that may have been a little pretentious.
I probably will purchase a DFP when GT4 comes out.
And actually, I need new DS2's.
I have my original pack-in DS2 from when I bought the PS2 on release day.
The stick very slightly sticks to the right sometimes, but a thousand hours of
GT3 has made the x-button so silky on its analog throttle response...I love it.
That controller is very nearly 4 years old.
PS2--purchased 10/26/2000--release date
NTSC PlayStation2 #1691
serial# U1001691
Series 30k
original controller still used + 2nd DS2 purcahased in 11/00
also have a MadCatz DualForce2 which I don't use anymore
first game bought/played : Unreal Tournament

Dedicated man. You're clearly pretty passionate, it's just what you posted, plus your claim of being an expert and having 100% twice in your sig, stood out.

Anyway, most of the GT3 times sites I look at have very little distinguishing controllers thus far, but I'm yet to see how GT4P times stack up, but I do think it would alienate a huge amount of players if they were going to lose to people with a wheel just because of bias in the game engine - that's realism shot to pieces right there. Wheels are more satisfying sure but they're just inconvenient for a lot of people.

The more time I spend going "Why does this car do that?" when I try desperately to balance braking and acceleration through turns, the more I look forward to a new physics engine to mess with.

Eagle
Anyway, most of the GT3 times sites I look at have very little distinguishing controllers thus far, but I'm yet to see how GT4P times stack up, but I do think it would alienate a huge amount of players if they were going to lose to people with a wheel just because of bias in the game engine - that's realism shot to pieces right there. Wheels are more satisfying sure but they're just inconvenient for a lot of people.

The more time I spend going "Why does this car do that?" when I try desperately to balance braking and acceleration through turns, the more I look forward to a new physics engine to mess with.

What i find is the advantage in using the wheel is its much more a precise way of driving,than with the stick/ button of DS2, also the resistance and feed back from the wheel lets you know when your on the limit, much more than when using the pad, also the fact that you can feel the front end of the car get light then feel the resitance when you find grip will never be recreated in the pad.

"Why does this car do that?", the wheel gives you all the feed back you need, and youll no why if you have any real driving experience.

The problem with DS sticks if it was directly related to turn of wheels like the DFP is that most of the time you would only need to make tiny movement of the stick to corner (even in DFP 900 mode mostly you will not go much beyond half a turn of the wheel except in hairpins and when you get too far out of shape on tarmac), and as the sticks have no resistance it would be much harder to get right.
That option may also then be advantageous over the wheel as the resistance makes it impossible to go from lock to lock very quickly.

It will IMO still be possible to drive as fast with the DS2, it will just take longer to learn to go as fast, and you will probably be less consistant than with the wheel.

"The rotation on the wheel adjusts depending on what car you're driving. So, if you've got a regular passenger car, expect to turn the wheel mucho. But if you've got something like a racecar with a high steering ratio you may only have to go 180."
link
That's pretty damn cool if you ask me, that makes gt4 even more desirable.

I've been a pad player all along, but with the development of force feedback and what the "experts" are saying about the new GT physics and use of force feedback, i'm 100% getting the DFP when GT4 is released. Sux that we don't have Prologue so i can get used to it before GT4 is released, will just mean some extra time to learn before thinking of venturing online to get my race on.

💡

If you hit the DS2 sticks from max left to max right, the front wheels follow with a serious delay.

I wonder if you have a similar delay with the DFP steering wheel, or is it so that the front wheels turn exactly as fast as you turn the steering wheel (taking into account the steering ratio)?

And when was the last time you turned the wheel on your car from full lock left to right in milliseconds?

This surely adds to the realism and otherwise would make driving "Pad" an advantage over the wheel due to faster turning rates.

C.

yeti
And when was the last time you turned the wheel on your car from full lock left to right in milliseconds?

This surely adds to the realism and otherwise would make driving "Pad" an advantage over the wheel due to faster turning rates.
I know. You understood me wrong if you think I'm complaining. It's a perception, and I wonder if the DFP wheel works without this "aid" too. If it does, that could give it a certain advantage above the DS2.

So the question remains valid and unanswered.

Ah sorry...

I see what you mean...

I suspect that the wheel doesn't work with this... so people that can really turn the wheel quickly would have an advantage over pad... but I suspect that it would be very negligible!!

Also I suspect that if they turned at that speed then they wouldn't be able to control the car very well too!!

But we need someone with a wheel (That is very quick at turning it!)

C.

yeti
Ah sorry...

I see what you mean...

I suspect that the wheel doesn't work with this... so people that can really turn the wheel quickly would have an advantage over pad... but I suspect that it would be very negligible!!

Also I suspect that if they turned at that speed then they wouldn't be able to control the car very well too!!

But we need someone with a wheel (That is very quick at turning it!)

C.

The wheels of the car turn exactly at the same rate as you turn the wheel.

With an outside view, or on the replay you can see the front wheels turning at the same rate as the sterring wheel.

If you manage to turn the wheel lock to lock very quickly you are likely to get a tank slapper and spin out of control. :dunce:

Where can you pick up this 'Prologue' anyways? I checked EB's and the retailer said he's never heard of it :indiff:

Tank slapper, ha! I call them fuel-cell scrapers, it's basically when your car bottoms out and your rear underbody scrapes, or in his words, 'slaps' the tarmac. Makes your car wicked loose.

Victor Vance, do you live in the USA??

The Prologue version of gran Turismo 4 was originally only going to be developed for the Japanese. However, due to excessive demand, the game was released in a 'limited quantity' in Europe. Unfortunately, they did not release it in the US, so you're games store will not be able to sell it, but they must be totally isolated from the gaming world not to know of it, it's the forerunner to the best racing game of all time!!!!

By the way, Yeti, did you say you have the HSC and ony paid £11 for prologue? Did you get a converted Japanese version?? 1) the cheapest i saw the PAL one for was £17.99 (what i paid) and i thought in PAL you got the M5 instead of the HSC.

yeti
That makes me laugh...

A tank slapper = Spinning out?

Why?

C.

Not just spinning out.

But furiously switching from lock to lock while the back end of the car 'slaps' from side to side. When you sometines try to correct the car in a slide, you overcorrect and simply lose control.

Polyphony001
By the way, Yeti, did you say you have the HSC and ony paid £11 for prologue? Did you get a converted Japanese version?? 1) the cheapest i saw the PAL one for was £17.99 (what i paid) and i thought in PAL you got the M5 instead of the HSC.

Nah... You get the HSC from completing the Purple section all gold... the M5 is from completing the Orange section all gold...

I believe the M5 replaces a car that is then added to the starting showroom in PAL prologue... but I couldn't tell you which one!!

Also I paid £11 cos me and a friend went halves on it... so technically £22!! But it does mean that I only have it for half of the time!!!

C.

JAGUAR
Not just spinning out.

But furiously switching from lock to lock while the back end of the car 'slaps' from side to side. When you sometines try to correct the car in a slide, you overcorrect and simply lose control.

No no no...thats a phrase that has been stolen from bikes. Slapping implies contact with something, and what is the Tank involved?

This is where the front end of the bike shudders under heavy acceleration and shakes its "head". Since you are usually holding the bars as they go from side to side, it is the rider who ends up "slapping" the petrol tank.

Ducati etc employ steering dampers to avoid this.

Youre not wrong to use the phrase when refering to a car, but I thought I'd just point out the origin.
:)

Edit Added a vid of Tank Slapper in action

Wheelie Tank Slap Crash!!

GTXLR Fuel slapping about in tank :lol: you must have very good ears to hear that!

JAGUAR
The wheels of the car turn exactly at the same rate as you turn the wheel.

With an outside view, or on the replay you can see the front wheels turning at the same rate as the sterring wheel.

If you manage to turn the wheel lock to lock very quickly you are likely to get a tank slapper and spin out of control. :dunce:
That's good news again, guess I'll end up buying a second wheel :sly:
Did you really get such a ... "tank slapper"?

Tacet_Blue
Edit Added a vid of Tank Slapper in action

Wheelie Tank Slap Crash!!
That makes it very clear ... looks painfull for the guy :ill: , he's lucky to be well dressed ...

Back