The use of nitrous in drifting

• Thread starter Sheron
  • 41 comments
Well, as there's other thread of the use of driving aids, I wanted to start other to talk about the use of Nitrous.

I consider it as cheating, because if you use it you can go sideways at a level you are not, or your skills aren't.

I will never use it, not even buy it. Not even to use it in racing. I just don't like it.

And you?

I don't like it , I have been complaining about it because some members use it in some high horsepower cars just to get the boost it seems like a ebrake but not losing speed, I don't find the point of it

the second I heard that it was a tuning option on GT4 i told myself that i was not going to use it. No particular reason not to in the gaming environment, jsut came from opinions I hold in real life.

And to date i have not installed it on any car for drift or race purposes. So to be honest i dont have a solid knowledge of how it effects cars in the game and for that reason don't have a very firm opinion about how it should be used or if it should be used.

i have use it in my cars that i race to cover up the loss top speed with lower gear ratios. But never gonna use it for drifting no need so why bother?

I don't like nitrous point blank. I think it degrades a persons ability to tune as well as ability to drive. But like I said in the other thread if people want to use nitrous and stop them selves from becoming a better driver go ahead and use it, because in the end it is only them who are going to be affected by this choice.

only time I buy nitrous is when im running a bone stock car in manufacturers races, and I only use it if for some reason there are other cars that will pull away from me no matter what. and because im not the most 1337 driver ever. never tried drifting with it, if you use N tires youll never need it.

I was really surprised that it was included as a tuning option, some how to me it doesn't fit in the GT universe, I've never used it and I don't think I'd use it to drift

While I absolutely despise NOS in real life, I don't have any problems with it in GT4, so long as it's not a crutch. I drift with extremely high HP cars (350-750 HP range) using Racing Tires, and the only times I use NOS are when I'm racing, and to slightly increase the angle of a drift. I'm usually spending about 200,000-300,000 credits on my cars, so the extra 5,000 for NOS doesn't phase me. I leave it on the stock setting and I occaisionally tap it mid-drift, giving me a slight increase in drift angle, then I compensate with throttle control. Because I drift while racing, and race while drifting, I have a lot of fun with NOS, on the rare occaisions that I use it. However, I've often found my fastest lap times almost ALWAYS involve no use of NOS whatsoever, which is an interesting paradox in itself.

I don't like it in real life, but there's no reason for me to not have it when I'm racing/drifting, so I use it occaisionally. Mostly on straight-aways. I think I subconsciously use NOS on straight aways to get to the fun parts of the track faster :crazy:

Even though it is used by some D1 drivers in japan (and some formula dirft dirvers aswell i think )as a tactic to initiate a drift (working just like an E-Brake), i would be disgusted to hear anyone using it in GT4 to drift.. But yeah every now and again when i cant be bothered tuning my car for a race, i chuck some nos in to give it that extra boost

I've never tried using it for drifting...I've never had a problem breaking the rear tires loose, and if they're not loose I'm certainly not going to hit the nitrous button and send myself flying off into the dirt. Like other have said, I only use it if my car is grossly overmatched on the straightaways (manufacturer races...I don't like spending loads of cash on honda civics). For instance, the last race I did was that stupid suzuki concept race with the bad one (not the fast cool one...sorry I don't know the names). All I bought for my car was nitrous, and even using it I still couldn't keep up with the fast concept on the straights. Had to do all my catching up in the corners, which was very difficult considering my car was FF and theirs were MR. I think...maybe they're FR, I don't know. Wow, I got way off topic. Anyway, yes, I use it for races sometimes because it's cheap and is a good equalizer in the manufacturer races where you never know what you're gonna get.

I'd only ever use it for what I always use it for when it's available: preventing an overtake on a straightaway (especially the home stretch).

I use it to make my spin-outs really cool.

Otherwise, no. It is cheating to use it as an immediate torque increase to brake traction. It's cheap, just like the use of steriods when building muscle.

< Vin >

Nitrous is dumb and should only be allowed on the Drag Stirp part of Power and Speed, Polyphonic shoulda put a Boost Controller on instead of nitrous, that would help the game and players mutch better then nitrous.

looks like everyone feels the same. including me.
i've tried nitrous for drifting but the only real time i needed it was when i felt the drift dying or mabye if i needed to make the tail push out more. its kind of like using the e-brake when you screw a drift up and you need to change the angle.
it can make things intresting if you get bored and just feel like crashing in to walls.

heres an idea one of you guys should make a drift video of nitrous drifting called "who's a noob."

seeing as I can't and don't know how to make videos

Now first of all, my cars are set up that way, that they can already lose traction with a feint, Nitrous only makes me spin out.
I'm ashamed to tell this but I DO use it sometimes BETWEEN drifts. For example: Apricot hill drifting in a trueno, I can't get up to the proper gear for the coming corner, if I drift the first two corners linked, I usually end the drift with my gear up in 2d, now to drift the following right hand turn, I'd like to be in 3d, especially if I want to link that righthand with the lefthand and righthand following it. I just have to use nitrous then to come to that 3d gear:S

👎 i do not like it :crazy: , I think its more of an cheat system, pushing your ca to limits that its not suppose to reach. I think I have 2/97 cars that I bought it for but I took them off soon after

BUT AGAIN:nervous: I CAN'T USE IT TO DRIFT, IT JUST SPINS ME OUT. There is a DRAMATIC change QUICK change in the cars handling if it suddenly unleashes 100BHP more, it's just out of control AND THERES NNNOOOOOO WAY I can complete a drift with it:yuck:
I REALLY think it sucks to, I only use it to get up to speed if I don't want to change the settings of the car 385 times:yuck:

SO IT SUCKS, I DON"T EVEN USE HANDBRAKE OR NITROUS AS A LAST RESORT, I just CAN'T!

...........:crazy:...........:lol:

meh u say it's cheating like when people use it in drag racing ohh it's cheating when its not. but more to the point your a bit busy doing sumthing else so u cant press the button , im guilty i used it a couple of time to initiate a 6th gear drift.

I have to say that i HAVE used nitrous to drift. In a Midget 2. :D

But actually it is really unnecessary to use nitrous when drifting.

I use it in racing occasionally. As I find it to be a nice way to get that extra speed down straights.

But It would be totally useless while drifting. So, I would say don't use it for drifting. There's simply no point.

Well if its possible to drift without it, why bother, there's no point doing something if you can't do it right 👍

Sheron
Well, as there's other thread of the use of driving aids, I wanted to start other to talk about the use of Nitrous.

I consider it as cheating, because if you use it you can go sideways at a level you are not, or your skills aren't.

I will never use it, not even buy it. Not even to use it in racing. I just don't like it.

And you?
I AGREE 👍
I never use it and I'm still faster than all my friends that do... lol :sly:

I have to say that i use NOS while drifting and i'm not ashamed at all. If it's just to get a gear higher, just to continue a drift or just to make it more spectacular, then why not do it. Use the techniques you want. Drifting is all about style. I say if it looks good on the track then why bother askin how he did it.

Just my 2¢

Well just to make sure it was the same as last time i tried using nos to drift. I tested it out today and i must say it is fun and a big pain in the but at times.

On one point being able to just instantly create hourse power in a jam when mabye shifting gears alone won't help.

Like right when you up shift or down shift and mabye you start to lose power, you just tape the nitrous button once or twice and the wheels keep spinning.

At the same time that is a bit of a draw back. Since just spinning your wheels dosen't always create the best drift.

And on a side not I dont use it for drifting but I was testing it out so I could put in my 2 cents.

glad to see a lot of people here despise nos as much as i do. it really is made for the dragstrip and it should stay there. but even generally i dont like it because an engine doesnt always produce power with it. sure you might be able to say your engine produces 1000 bhp but without nos it might "only" be 700

Latest Posts

Back