Drifting too easy with DS2, but harder on DFP.

So this is the 5th day i've been drifting with the DFP. I'll say it is pretty realistic, and at the same time not. The thing is, turning the wheel fast enough is what's hard. So today i also tried to drift with the controller and i'm a freakin pro. It's so easy with the DS2 because i can input the steering way faster. Is it the same for you guys too?

Or am i just not turning the DFP wheel fast enough? (WHIIIIRRR!)

not turning the wheel fast enough.
i use dfp everyday for drift, and i have no prob.
i cannot drift with ds2 though. not sure what it is.
ya but learn to turn the wheel faster and thatll help.

It's just weird, sometimes it feels like i'm forcing the wheel where it's not supposed to go. Like in real life, it does not take much effort when ending the counter steering. But in gt4, i have to force the wheel to go back straight...

i'm not that bad doing it with the DFP, it's just that being consistant is hard.

Conclusion, you can't assume you can be good at both. As I explained to someone over MSN, it's a feel you should get. And you should countersteer in steps, not in once, but increas countersteer, wait half a second, increase a bit more, wait again. Basically, you should follow the speed at wich your angle increases: your angle doesn't become 90% in ONE SPLIT SECOND, and to be good at maintaining angle, you should countersteer just a bit earlier as your angle increases, that actually means that you won't increase your angle:tup:

Well, without this explanation, your still able to learn it, cause I'm explaining a FEEL here, you can get it with experience. But if you understood this just a TINY little bit, I wish you good luck........and come to MSN if you want to learn more, or if you have another problem, cause this thread will be closed soon........:scared:

Personally... I find the weight of the DFP WAY TOO HEAVY. I've drifted non power steering 280Z's and the steering isn't as heavy as those freazin' wheels. It's a serious workout.

Also, does anyone use the logitech lap attechment. Right now a use a custom made wood cockpit-like thing on my couch. Does that lap attachment actually work well?

I should go back and try drifting with the DFP again. I've learned alot about drifiting since last tmie I used it.

I find drifting with the wheel a lot easier than the controller.

I can drift stock cars with the wheel, but same car with the controller and it goes nowhere.

i rule with the ds2, but suck with the dfp. the force feedback just isn't realistic and the wheel feels so bound by the feedback engine. maybe my dfp is just broken, but the feedback is just pathetic, and the wheel is too tiny to drift with. i don't mind it for racing, but it's out of the question for drifting realistically and comfortably.

3k_Poseidon
Personally... I find the weight of the DFP WAY TOO HEAVY. I've drifted non power steering 280Z's and the steering isn't as heavy as those freazin' wheels. It's a serious workout.

Also, does anyone use the logitech lap attechment. Right now a use a custom made wood cockpit-like thing on my couch. Does that lap attachment actually work well?

I should go back and try drifting with the DFP again. I've learned alot about drifiting since last tmie I used it.
stop whining and get used to it if you want to get good with it. if not, stop using it. you can adjust the strength, but i feel it is best to leave it as strong.
id advise against using lap attachment.

I personally have ony drifted once or twice with a controller, and IMO it's much easier than the wheel. I got my wheel within two weeks of it's release and have used it ever since for both grip and drift.

< Vin >

vinsion
I personally have ony drifted once or twice with a controller, and IMO it's much easier than the wheel. I got my wheel within two weeks of it's release and have used it ever since for both grip and drift.

< Vin >

same here.

Personally I am a lot better with the DFP as compared to the DS2. It took me quite awile to get used to, but I could tell right away I liked driving/drifting with the DFP so much more than with a DS2.

You just have to learn to understand the feel to the wheel, it takes awile to get used to it.

When I try to drift with my DFP I sometimes turn it to hard and it gets uncalibrated(sp) so I try to turn softer and I just spin. Does this happen to anyone else?

Driftnewb110
When I try to drift with my DFP I sometimes turn it to hard and it gets uncalibrated(sp) so I try to turn softer and I just spin. Does this happen to anyone else?
uhh i dont see how that is....
you mean the wheel gets uncalibrated? how so? i beat the living hell out of mine almost daily and i have no problems.

Suzuki
uhh i dont see how that is....
you mean the wheel gets uncalibrated? how so? i beat the living hell out of mine almost daily and i have no problems.
Like if I go into a turn a counter-steer really hard right, the tires wont be centered unless the steering wheel is turn 90 degrees to the right. When that happens I have to pause it and unlplug the wheel and then plug it in again.

Driftnewb110
Like if I go into a turn a counter-steer really hard right, the tires wont be centered unless the steering wheel is turn 90 degrees to the right. When that happens I have to pause it and unlplug the wheel and then plug it in again.

Thats happened to me before. Its now been fixed though. I had to take my wheel apart and adjust one of the tiny gears that is on the motor because it was loose. After this, it never has happened since. Sounds like you will have to do this too. This wheel is great still, I've owned it when it first came out (Jan 2003) and so naturally over time its bound to get beaten up pretty bad with my drifting and countersteering. So far only minor issues that were resolved with simple cleaning of the pedals and this gear adjustment to fix the problems that I've had with mine. I think you will have to open up your wheel and look for this tiny gear that is on the motor that makes all that noise and adjust it so that it lines up with the other gear and doesn't slip off. When the gear slips, that is when you get uncalibrated. So you will need to make it snug and tight. I am not responsible for anything that you may do to your wheel, this is just from my experience with it, do it at your own risk. :)

BreakerOhio
Thats happened to me before. Its now been fixed though. I had to take my wheel apart and adjust one of the tiny gears that is on the motor because it was loose. After this, it never has happened since. Sounds like you will have to do this too. This wheel is great still, I've owned it when it first came out (Jan 2003) and so naturally over time its bound to get beaten up pretty bad with my drifting and countersteering. So far only minor issues that were resolved with simple cleaning of the pedals and this gear adjustment to fix the problems that I've had with mine. I think you will have to open up your wheel and look for this tiny gear that is on the motor that makes all that noise and adjust it so that it lines up with the other gear and doesn't slip off. When the gear slips, that is when you get uncalibrated. So you will need to make it snug and tight. I am not responsible for anything that you may do to your wheel, this is just from my experience with it, do it at your own risk. :)
weird. first time ive heard of that

I am more comfortable to drift with the DS2 instead of DFP...need to practice, possible in this summer vacations...
BTW what settings do DFP owner's have in the options screen?Which do you think is the easiest do start drifting?
Thx

Haven't read the entire thread but i'm getting the jist of it... Basically theirs all these people that want to make friends and say.. cant drift with a controller but can with a wheell blah blah blah... Kudos to you :).. Heres the facts... It will always be harder to drift with the wheel then the controller thats why a controller will not "Ever" gain my respect. People will say but blah blah.. cant afford.. blah blah.. ok i understand the price, However, I dont like how people hold ds2 drifting up and a pedastal.. With a wheel that pedastal will come crashing down.. thats the truth. Anyone who drifts with a wheel and makes some statement like, "I've had no Problem with it" whatever people, for all the new drifters.. Yes they did have a problem with it and even now they cannot match what someone can do with a DS2, but dont feel bad no one can..
As far as what was said earlier.. (Spinning the wheel Faster) Man if anything if you wanna be good with the wheel concentrate on smoothness.. your never gonna match all the Smoke, Technical, and Longs drifts a controller can do.. So what you do is understand "This", and Improve your wheel skills.. because I have wayyy more RESPECT for U... then the DS2 users.. So keep drifting, even if they arent as pretty your skills are growing exponentially.. :)

I can't drift with the ds2 at all. The steering wheel is a lot easier. With the ds2 i always seem to whip around the other way at the end of the drift. For me its just to sensative. You can't turn a steering wheel 2 and a half times around in a split second. The wheels more realistic by far.

vinsion

< Vin >
lol same...i got a kinda scared feeling too...cuzz i thought i was doing pretty ok with the dfp cause i learned to drift with it and never drifted with a ds2 before....then one late night i was testing out settings but couldnt use the dfp cause i didnt want to wake everyone up...i actually drifted pretty well for my first try with the ds2 :indiff:
then i thought....damn...it took me a LONG ASS TIME to learn how to drift with the wheel :ouch:

EDIT: masterdriver..."watchu talking about?"
lol dfp drifters will always(i use this term loosely...theres an exemption for the god ds2 drifters) win against ds2 drifters when it comes to countersteering 👍
most ds2 drifters will use the d-pad and will always hav to tap tap tap for countersteering...IMO it looks ugly cause you always see the wheel go back to neutral then it suddenly goes out again

I think it's like this....DS2 is kewl but you don't drive with your fingers.....(i am not a good ds2 drifter, nor do I want to be)IMO the DFP allows for more percise inputs... Dfp seems more real to me since you can't go lock to lock in half a milisecond....In the end it's your preference and nothing else....after all GT4 is a game...whatever you use, as long as you enjoy it Drift on!

I also see a difference in car movement depending on your input device (on xlink) and the DFP drifters look a lot smoother.

This topic was recently unfurled in my drift vid thread. The following comments of mine are taken from a post in response to some of MasterDriver's comments. So if something seems just a little out of place (like all the talk of different vids and so forth), that is likely why. I repost the comments here because it is a more suitable place for such a discussion. Believe it or not, I'd like to keep my vid thread reserved for comments about my vids.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

People should realize that not everyone is out to get as close to a real-life experience as possible from the GT series. A fair chunk of us just want to push the limits of the physics envelope as far as possible with any controller we can get our hands on, and gain an understanding and appreciation for them (i fall into this category). This is what I like to show in my videos. If that has offended you in some way... well, I really dont feel badly about it.
For even more people, this is probably just a video game suitable for killing an afternoon and nothing beyond that.

And yes, at the time of my vid releases I was a DS2 drifter. I still am primarily, as are many others here. Unlike some of them though, I also own a DFP and I'm gradually trying to move over to that device. That process is taking longer than I anticipated it might due to a lack of practice time over the summer months. ...also, I've drifted with the DS2 for 3 or 4 years now, so I'm a little set in my ways.

At the time of my last vid release (Centrifuge 3, on May 3rd), I hadnt had the DFP setup for much more than 3 weeks, if it was even that long. Although, that fact is beside the point of your argument - its just a bit of a history lesson.

But, I'll state clean and clear that I can match most of my DS2 drifts with my DFP, it just takes a little extra work right now due to inconsitency issues. Occasionally I'll surpass them, but that often comes about more by luck than good judgement, hehe. I've had the DFP for maybe 5 months now, and even at this stage I'm still far more consistent with the DS2. The DFP is a far superior piece of equipment compared with the DS2 - it's my belief that greater drifts are possible on it than on the DS2 due to its much more precise range of control.

I do fully agree that for me, any DFP drift is more rewarding and challenging than one on the DS2. No argument. But at the same time I feel that a person's accomplisments should be acknowledged regardless of the controller type they are using. People do still put time and effort into becoming a decent drifter with the DS2 - i'll echo the fact that for many people it is the only controller option they have.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

maybe the answer for you MasterDriver, and others that share his sentiments, is not to totally disregard what DS2 drifters are doing - but just to hold 2 different sets of standards.
I realize my comments here are kind of mixed. I see both sides of this argument, and I use both devices.

Hehe… read this topic from Tanks thread and I have to say chill... chill... people it's just a game. Wheel or no wheel as long as I'm having fun I don't give a **** of what people think.

But I do agree with Masterdriver on DFP 900 mode users.

It is extremely harder to drift with the DFP than the DS2. That's why there are rarely any good DFP drift videos out there on this forum except for Team FBI. Well BreakerOhio falls in this category but I’ve yet to see any good linking from him yet.

And if you can afford a DFP, you'll definitely afford a capture card.

I’ve just recently begin practicing with my DFP which was collecting dust for some time now that I got way back before GT4 was even out. Drifting with the DFP was so frustrating at that time I just gave up and went back to perfect my DS2. The Black Cat’s video “The Beginning” from Team FBI inspired me to use the DFP again and if he can do it why not me? I might not have FBI’s mad skills but hey practice makes perfect.

And yeah the “student” will one day catch up and surpass the teacher ahaha…

Props to DFP drifters though. 👍

:)

I still find it hard to control slides with DFP and especially drifting :indiff:, I consider myself a very good driver with the DFP in grip terms, i can stop slides and control little ones, but not countersteer ones. I can Grip faster than DS2, with my DFP. I dont know why but i still find drifting hard with my DFP, and im not sure why. I either countersteer to much or not enough. I guess over time i will get better and slowly phase out drifitng with DS2 and solely use my DFP. I just find it wierd i can be a master at grip driving with DFP yet not be able to drift very well at all with it. I guess I just have to practise on slippery tires more and get the 'feel' for it that way. Then after i can drive and slide around on N tires, i can use it for drifting and rally races.

bamboo
It is extremely harder to drift with the DFP than the DS2. That's why there are rarely any good DFP drift videos out there on this forum except for Team FBI. Well BreakerOhio falls in this category but I’ve yet to see any good linking from him yet.

actually, having xlink-ed with BreakerOhio, i can vouch for his skills.
Yes he does link, he links very well. Honestly he's amazing on the DFP. 👍

A redundant word of warning; I highly recommend against drifting with the DFP if you drift IRL this can affect your muscle memory and may affect your real driving.

Back