The Nissan Silvia / 180SX / 240SX

• Thread starter jconterio
  • 57 comments
Just sharing here. I've been interested in knowing what exactly is going on in regards to to how the Nissan S-series cars are named. You've probably read this before in bits and pieces, but I haven't found a really in-depth explaination. So I here's what I've got.

In Japan Nissan released two cars using the same chassis (S13): they were known as the Silvia and the 180SX. The Silvia chassis later evolved (S14, S15), while the 180SX used the same chassis (S13) up until the end of its production. They were very similar cars, with the Silvia being a coupe or sedan, the 180SX being a fastback with flip-up lights. Both used a 1.8L, then 2.0L engine, either naturally aspirated or turbo depending on the model.

In the US a similar car built on a similar chassis (S14?) was released. As far as I know it was available as a coupe, sedan, or fastback, but overall closely resembled the Silvia (no flip-up lights). And the car always came with a naturally aspirated 2.4L engine.

The confusion in the game in regards to car names stems from the botched localization. As far as I have seen the American 240SX does not actually exist in the game, but certain cars are branded as a 240SX because they match the time period for when that car was available.

You'll notice that the S13 Silvias are correctly named (Silvia K's Aero for instance), as are the S15 Silvias (Silvia Spec R Aero). This is also consistant in GT2, and I think in GT3. This is because an equivalent did not exist in the US (though as I mention above, there was never really an exact equivalent between Japanese and US models).

The 180SX (S13) and the S14 Silvia are the problems. The models used in the game have production dates that fit into the mid 90's timeframe, so evidently PD thought they should call them 240's. Dumb idea. As an example, GT2 calls the 180SX a 240SX Fastback, and, even more foolishly, the S14 Silvias as 240SX Q's or K's. But it is GT4 that makes the biggest blunder, which is also the source of the most confusion.

From what I've seen, GT4 does list the S14 Silvia Q's Aero ('96) correctly. Great! But then we have two cars listed as '240SX (S14)' and '240SX' (both 1996). Not so brilliant.

If we go back to the Japanese version of the game, we can confirm that there are two S14 Silvias (Q's and K's, both Aero) and a 180SX Fastback, all from 1996. It turns out that those last two are those mysteriously named 240's. The '240SX (S14)' is the S14 Silvia, the '240SX' is the 180SX Fastback (which of course is always an S13).

There are games out there that have the true American 240SX (I think NFS:U is one of them), but the Gran Turismo franchise doesn't have 'em. So really they should have dropped the 240SX moniker, and stuck with the accurate Silvia / 180SX.

Let me know if I missed something.

jconterio
In the US a similar car built on a similar chassis (S14?) was released. As far as I know it was available as a coupe, sedan, or fastback, but overall closely resembled the Silvia (no flip-up lights). And the car always came with a naturally aspirated 2.4L engine.

Some clarifications as far as I can recollect:

The 240SX was first available as a 1989 model, ending as a 1998 model.

The 240SX was never released as a sedan. It has always and only had two doors.

The early model years of the 240SX DID have flip-up headlights. I used to own a black '91 240SX when I was in college. Oh, and it was naturally aspirated. It looked pretty much like this:

fdf27901.jpg

Here is what a 1996 240SX really looked like in the States:

1c4c1a7a.jpg

THIS model did not have flip-up headlights.

I also noticed this fact and it was kind of annoying. Not only the headlights, but the taillights of a 240 and a 180 are different. The 180 has the two stand-out circles inside the bigger rounded-corner rectangles, while the 240 doesn't. I wish they would've stayed with the original names. Here's a fun fact though. The 240 (S14 model) is a better stock drift car than then Silvia S14 Q and K. =Þ

You're right. The extent of their 'localization' on this family of cars is relabelling the late-model JDM S14 Silvia K's Aero and the JDM 180SX as '240SX'. None of the S-chassis cars in any GT has used the 2.4L KA24 engine which was the ONLY engine available with any North American 240SX.

Can any of you PAL guys tell me if any of these cars were labelled '200SX' in your version of GT4?

Spyder_V
The 240 (S14 model) is a better stock drift car than then Silvia S14 Q and K. =Þ
What do you base that statement on? As an S14 owner (link in sig and pic below) I'm curious! :dopey:

586ching.jpg

CrackHoor
You're right. The extent of their 'localization' on this family of cars is relabelling the late-model JDM S14 Silvia K's Aero and the JDM 180SX as '240SX'. None of the S-chassis cars in any GT has used the 2.4L KA24 engine which was the ONLY engine available with any North American 240SX.

Can any of you PAL guys tell me if any of these cars were labelled '200SX' in your version of GT4?

What do you base that statement on? As an S14 owner (link in sig and pic below) I'm curious! :dopey:

586ching.jpg

Don't worry don't worry, I'm talking about IN GT4. Gah I'm so jealous... I wish I had money to get a car like that ^_^

SilverEclipse01
Some clarifications as far as I can recollect:

The 240SX was first available as a 1989 model, ending as a 1998 model.

The 240SX was never released as a sedan. It has always and only had two doors.

The early model years of the 240SX DID have flip-up headlights. I used to own a black '91 240SX when I was in college. Oh, and it was naturally aspirated.
Interesting. So I wonder why they only hit us with the 240SX name on cars from the mid '90s? I'd say it was only cars with the S14 chassis, but they also screwed up the 180SX (which uses the S13). Madness!

Oh, and I guess at some point there was a 200SX in the States, but this was a Sentra of some sort. Different than the 200SX (which was really a Silvia?) found in Europe. Talk about confusing. Guess they never really bothered sorting out their international branding scheme.

jconterio
Oh, and I guess at some point there was a 200SX in the States, but this was a Sentra of some sort. Different than the 200SX (which was really a Silvia?) found in Europe. Talk about confusing. Guess they never really bothered sorting out their international branding scheme.

Exactly. The 200SX in the States was a two door Sentra. Two totally different cars, so be careful throwing that name around in any conversation. But then again, manufacturers have had issues in the past with international naming and marketing. Anyone remember the Chevy Nova? Try and market that to the Spanish-speaking crowd.

Droptop_Chick
Sell me your tail lights. ;)
Actually, I like my tail lights where they are right now:
194060_71_full.jpg

Spyder_V
Don't worry don't worry, I'm talking about IN GT4.
OK, phew. I get kinda carried away about stuff like that, sorry! :)

svtsnake
you giving me the lip?
I got some lip, and some grill too.
194060_45_full.jpg

Vic_ali
more 'hoors taillights :D
Quit e-stalking me, bro!

jconterio
Interesting. So I wonder why they only hit us with the 240SX name on cars from the mid '90s? I'd say it was only cars with the S14 chassis, but they also screwed up the 180SX (which uses the S13). Madness!
I suspect it's just a lazy way of adding both an S13 and S14 '240SX' to the North American car list by relabelling one of each.

i should have kept my lip black huh?

your car looks pretty sick crack, i gotta get better rims for mine, but forget about lowering, it scrapes sometimes and it still stock height.

svtsnake
i should have kept my lip black huh?

your car looks pretty sick crack, i gotta get better rims for mine, but forget about lowering, it scrapes sometimes and it still stock height.

If I had a light colored car like yours I'd have it painted too, but I think it looks good unpainted on a darker car. And since I'm lowered ~1.5" the unpainted lip hides most of the scrapes & scratches I've put on it... :ill:

svtsnake
riced 240s :nervous:

It's not riced bro!!! That's a stock 180sx with a 1.8 liter turbo making 202hp and 202lb-ft of torque. I'm assuming it's stock under the hood even though it likely isn't since it's a Japanese car in Japan. It's just like the car in the game.

Note on Nissan Cars: All cars that nissan made that are named by a number are all named after their engines. My 300zx has a 3.0 liter V6, the 280z had a 2.8 liter L6, the 240z had a 2.4 liter, the 260z had a 2.6 liter, the 180sx has a 1.8 liter, the 200sx has a 2.0 liter.
All 240sx came with the KA24DE, a 2.4 liter. Though many have been converted to a SR20DET. The KA24DE engines were not even available in Japan for this car.

Also a note on Nissan Engine Code: Take my engine, the VG30E: The V stands for the V-type engine. The second letter (G) is just a trim code and doesn't really matter. 30 stands for the fact that it is a 3.0 liter. E stands for electronic fuel injection.
The '90s Twin Turbo 300zx came with the VG30DETT: It is basically the same engine with the D standing for dual over head cam, and the TT standing for twin turbo.
The SR20DET that comes in some 200sx/Silvia: SR doesn't really mean anything, because In all but V-type engines the first two letters are just the engine family. 20 stands for 2.0 liter, and all the rest is the same with T standing for single turbo.

Edit: fixed some incosistancies. Sorry.

rsmithdrift
It's not riced bro!!! That's a stock 180sx with a stock 1.8 liter turbo making 202hp and 202lb-ft of torque. I'm assuming it's stock under the hood even though it likely isn't since it's a Japanese car in Japan. It's just like the car in the game.

aka CA18DET

rsmithdrift
It's not riced bro!!! That's a stock 180sx with a 1.8 liter turbo making 202hp and 202lb-ft of torque. I'm assuming it's stock under the hood even though it likely isn't since it's a Japanese car in Japan. It's just like the car in the game.

both have that ugly wing, which probably comes stock, but the red has an ugly body kit so it looks like rice.

rsmithdrift
Some 240sx came with the RB24DE, a 2.4 liter. Most came with the RB20DE, a 2.0 liter. And very few came with a SR20DET, a 2.0 turbo. They kept the name the same to cut down on confusion amoung the average american buyer. In Japan these 2.0 liter cars were called Silvia instead of 240sx. the RB24DE engines were not even available in Japan for this car.
hhaa there was never an rb24de. the 2.4 engine you are talking about is the truck engine ka24.

rsmithdrift
The RB20DE that comes in the 240sx: R stands for inline type engine, 20=2.0 liter, and DE always means the same thing.
The SR20DET that comes in some 240sx: S stands for a slant type engine, all the rest is the same with T standing for turbo.
RB = engine block code
SR = engine block code
D = Dual over head cam
E= ECCS (electronic concentrated control system)

ONCE AGAIN silvia/240sx history

rsmithdrift

Note on Nissan Cars: All cars that nissan made that are named by a number are all named after their engines. My 300zx has a 3.0 liter V6, the 280z had a 2.8 liter L6, the 240z had a 2.4 liter, the 260z had a 2.6 liter, the 180sx has a 1.8 liter, the 200sx has a 2.0 liter.
THE ONLY ECCEPTION TO THIS IS THE 240sx because it was available in different trim with different motors available and the name stayed the same. Some 240sx came with the RB24DE, a 2.4 liter. Most came with the RB20DE, a 2.0 liter. And very few came with a SR20DET, a 2.0 turbo. They kept the name the same to cut down on confusion amoung the average american buyer. In Japan these 2.0 liter cars were called Silvia instead of 240sx. the RB24DE engines were not even available in Japan for this car.

Also a note on Nissan Engine Code: Take my engine, the VG30E: The V stands for the V-type engine. The second letter (G) is just a trim code and doesn't really matter. 30 stands for the fact that it is a 3.0 liter. E stands for electronic fuel injection.
The '90s Twin Turbo 300zx came with the VG30DETT: It is basically the same engine with the D standing for dual over head cam, and the TT standing for twin turbo.
The RB20DE that comes in the 240sx: R stands for inline type engine, 20=2.0 liter, and DE always means the same thing.
The SR20DET that comes in some 240sx: S stands for a slant type engine, all the rest is the same with T standing for turbo.
Other Engine codes begining with other letters like the CA18DET from the 180sx: I don't understand what "C" stands for so if someone knows I'd thank you for enlightening me.

And the light shines... and I learn ^_^

Spyder_V
And the light shines... and I learn ^_^
Careful where you learn from...

rsmithdrift
THE ONLY ECCEPTION TO THIS IS THE 240sx because it was available in different trim with different motors available and the name stayed the same. Some 240sx came with the RB24DE, a 2.4 liter. Most came with the RB20DE, a 2.0 liter. And very few came with a SR20DET, a 2.0 turbo. They kept the name the same to cut down on confusion amoung the average american buyer.
1989-1990 240SX had KA24E, 2.4L SOHC
1991-1998 240SX had KA24DE, 2.4L DOHC

Those are the only engines that ever came in a 240SX. An exception to the name/displacement relationship was the later 180SX in Japan, where the CA18DET was changed to the SR20DET but the car was still badged a 180SX. That's good, because there would have been another 200SX to confuse things.

The first two letters on Nissan's engine codes don't really 'stand for' anything - they just designate the engine family. The numbers indicate the displacement, and the final letters indicate engine options: T for turbo, TT for twin turbo, E for electronic fuel injection, D for dual cam, and so on.

Here is a Nissan engine catalog, and here is an engine code breakdown.

svtsnake
both have that ugly wing, which probably comes stock, but the red has an ugly body kit so it looks like rice.

That's all OEM Kouki body paneling. Highly desireable everywhere, and I feel looks pretty good.

I'm probably a long way off, but thats ok because it's 2am nearly and ive just got in from town and am pretty hammered, but, I thought that in England, the S13, S14 and S15 were all called the 200SX.

Just Mk1, 2 and 3 if you like. I don't ever recall seeing a 240SX etc.

CrackHoor
Careful where you learn from...

1989-1990 240SX had KA24E, 2.4L SOHC
1991-1998 240SX had KA24DE, 2.4L DOHC

Those are the only engines that ever came in a 240SX. An exception to the name/displacement relationship was the later 180SX in Japan, where the CA18DET was changed to the SR20DET but the car was still badged a 180SX. That's good, because there would have been another 200SX to confuse things.

here is an engine code breakdown.

KA. that's right, I got confused for a sec. And I didn't know that the 180sx changed to a SR20DET. Anyways yeah, I've seen hundreds of 240sx' with SR20DET, so whatever. I'll edit.

UMm your " VG30E"
its VG is the engine, not just the V, like the new V35 skylines, have the new VQ series motor.
and RB stands for " race bred"

Back