question for real life rally or track driver

• Thread starter glum
  • 78 comments
Wolfe2x7
I never said that such a thing does not happen in real life. GT4 simply makes it far, far too easy to do so.

And from direct personal experience I have to say that it does not occur far, far to easy, loss of control (in the real world example) is described as being no more that 2mm of throttle pedal travel away. I'd say that qualifies as pretty easy.

I have said before that in my opinion part of the issue here is the interface. Throttle travel on GT4 is a lot shorter than with EPR (thankfully most PC sism allow you to adjust this to taste - as most race prepared cars do). Shorter throttle travel makes corrections such as these much more difficult to manage.

Wolfe2x7
Again, I understand that it is more difficult at higher speeds. That is beside the point. In GT4, the cars exhibit the wrong handling characteristics to begin with, regardless of whether or not you can control them.

Which 'wrong' handling characteristics are these exactly? Kind of hard to discuss without specific examples.

Wolfe2x7
I never said that the cars were similar, and I wasn't implying that they were, other than them being FRs.

Then my apologies, you used two similar cars (one being evolved from the other) to directly compare how two sims handle, it seemed like a comparison to me.

Wolfe2x7
It's pretty easy to hit 60mph, which qualifies as "high speed" according to your arguments about drift control.

OK, you know I have issues with how GT4 handles certain manouvers, mainly do-nuts and handbrakes turns, and you also know that I have tested these at a range of speeds. As far as i am aware i'm also the only person to look at how these type of manouvers have ben handled through the GT series.

Wolfe2x7
I'm not talking about feedback through the wheel -- I'm talking about feedback from the chassis and suspension. And this applies to all cars in Enthusia, LFS, and numerous PC sims, not just my own car.

Um, feedback through the steering wheel is a result of feedback from the suspension and chassis and the real world level of feel varies significantly from car to car. The examples I mentioned are from personal experience, its the one area I believe all sims have a very, very long way to go, and what limits the realism of them all.

A classic example is that of scuttle shake, caused by the flexing of the chassis in a lot of older convertables (and quite a few newer ones), it charcteristically shows itself through movement in the steering column and wheel.

I did also say wheel and seat.

Wolfe2x7
Just because some people "get it" and that it's possible, doesn't mean that it's truly realistic. I mean, I "get" drifting in Outrun 2, and it's really fun...anyone who would like to attest to the realism of that game can leave now. :lol:

Very funny :) , you know what I mean.

Wolfe2x7
You're right, I should have specified that GT4 drifting is next to impossible for me. At least I'm not alone...

Would never say you were alone on this one, but neither am I.

Wolfe2x7
Whoa whoa whoa...I never said that RBR doesn't handle right. I simply cannot play with such a slow sense of speed, and I've only tried the PC version, so the consoles might have fared better.

Sorry about that, I was tring to quote from memory (sorry too lazy to go and find the exact quote. All the same it does help illustrate what I am saying, Grand Prix legends is a similar story. I've spoken to people who are involved in historic racing who have tried to use GPL as a practice tool and say that its just too damn hard. The lack of 'real' feedback means that (for them) while the numbers are all be caluclated as they should by the (excellent) physics engine, it still does not 'feel' right to these people. Others, as I am sure you know, would disagree with a passion.

So in this example who is right? The die-hard GPL fans who know that the numbers, engine, etc are all exactly as they should be, or the people who actually drive and race the cars.

Its not such a straightforward area when its looked at in this way.

BTW I have RBR for the PS2 and the PC demo, not much difference that I have seen between they in regard to a sense of speed.

Regards

Scaff

live4speed
In terms of acceleration and lateral g yes, but they are still well off the real thing, as in other games have got them a hell of a lot closer to real yeat even thoes arn't spot on yet. It's easy to create a tyre in a game and give it x grip so it'll make a car corner with the same g-force as the real life one does. It's not easy to get that tyre to behave right under full driving conditions, theres so much that a tyre goes through that isn't simulated at all in GT, let alone attempted. I mean thats not suprising really, theres onl so much info you can make the PS2 concentrate on processing. Not a fault of PD, just that the PS2 has pretty much reach the maximum it can do in GT4. The bottom line is, I can drive my car in GT4 and if feels very different to drive then the one I have outside, okay it's not the same engine but with regards to the way the car behaves, the handling. GT4 isn't right, it may pull the same g's and accelerate about right, but the feel of the car just isn't right. It's far better, far closer to how it really feels in EPR, not spot on by any means, no game is but closer than GT4. And I got the same feeling in the Elise, it was nicer to drive more like the real thing in EPR than in GT4, what I really want to test is the Caterham R500 in EPR, I've not got it yet but I've had the pleasure of a quick blast in a couple of Caterhams so I hope to compare that too.

I would not say that the results are "well off the real thing", with the range of the real M3 being 0.96 - 1.15g (for lateral G tests) and the GT4 test results being 0.99 - 1.1g. Acceleration is again close, but can be affected much more by a poor launch, braking is the weakest area for GT4 tyres with stopping distances shorter than in the real world and the always on ABS meaning that its almost impossiable to lock the wheels under straight line braking.

Are these easy things to get right in a game, I would not say so (BTW from some basic testing I did even EPR is off on certain cars in these areas), but it is as you say much easier to do than full modeling of every aspect of tyre physics. Even in LFS and other PC sims the tyre physics models they use are very, very basic in comparison to true tyre modeling used by tyre manufacturers.

As regard how a car 'feels' in a sim, I think we can agree that this is a very personal thing and that no car is going to 'feel' as it does in the real world. as an example my Celica (and others I have driven) has a 'fizzy buzz' that can be felt through the throttle pedal between 4,500 and 5,000rpm, I know I'm never going to feel this in any 'sim'

As regards on the limit handling of an Elise (and I am not talking about road driving here) I feel that GT4 has this down excellently, the Elise is a very predictable and easy to drive car below the limit, at the limit its as most mid engined, short wheelbase cars are, bloody evil. Chris Harris of Autocar once described the on the limit lift off oversteer of the Elise as being worse than an '80's 911.

live4speed
Just on the subject of sayong one game is better than the other, in terms of preference there is not better choice. In terms of which one is more realistic, there is one that is more realistic than the others. It common sense that none of the game you mentioned are equal in realism, they're all sims, but one is still more realistic than the others. In terms of sheer physics data calculated, it's LFS by a country mile, I can't say for sure since the two or three real cars in LFS are cars I've never driven and probably never will so while you can't say just how accurately thoes calulations have been used, it has a far superior phsics engine, it calculates different areas of stress on each tyre, the deformation of the sidewalls, the different temperatures of each area of the tyre and far more. GT4 doesn't, simply put it can't, well the PS2 can't. EPR doesn't either, neither does Forza, bu LFS S2 does, so judging by that, LFS S2 is the most realistic of the 4, but like I said, how that translates to how the cars actually drive is a different matter and until it uses real cars that people have actually driven, one that can't really be answered.

Totally agree with everything you say, but with reservations, see my last piece in the reply to Wolfe above, the one that regards Grand Prix Legends.

My main reservations regard a point you observe, just because lots of data is being used, does not mena its being used well.

An example of this, for me would be Forza. The data logger in Forza shows quite clearly the amount of data the engine is using, but as for if its being used well, on that I have some concerns.

Its not just what you have, its how you use it.

Regards

Scaff

This is the most technically impressive dialog I've yet read at GTPlanet.

This inquiry is directed at Scaff, primarily because of his obvious experience in actual technical/competitive driving and his knowledge of GT4. I would be interested in other responses, but I'd like to confine the responses to those of experienced competitive "real" asphalt drivers.

This is a hypothetical:

Assume that an experienced road racer, perhaps someone with middle or higher level championship series wins, came to you and said that he/she was going to be driving at the Nordschleife sometime in the future in a standard but very high performance car. The car might be an M3 GTR or a RUF 911 or some similar high-performance car. The Nordschleife would be clear of all traffic and the purpose of the drive would be to go as quickly as possible while driving with a relatively risk-free style, which would be more classic (with straight-line braking) than with significant reliance on trail-braking except perhaps at the more obvious corner entries.

This road racer would be asking your advice about whether or not they could practice for the real drive at the Nordschleife by using GT4, along with a Driving Force Pro wheel set up for only right foot brake and throttle, and normally with no driving aids, and with any other setup factors you might recommend.

Assume that the car would be absolutely stock, as it would be in Arcade mode, and the only equipment choice would be tires, other than the car itself.

Would GT4 allow or cause the driver to do himself the harm of developing improper driving habits or creating misinterpretations of what he should be doing at all of the critical points on the track? Would it be dangerous for the driver to even try to practice using GT4?

Would N2 or N3 tires put him on the safe side of developing the judgement for the degree of grip that is actually available at the track?

Thanks in advance,

Tazio

Scaff
And from direct personal experience I have to say that it does not occur far, far to easy, loss of control (in the real world example) is described as being no more that 2mm of throttle pedal travel away. I'd say that qualifies as pretty easy.

I have said before that in my opinion part of the issue here is the interface. Throttle travel on GT4 is a lot shorter than with EPR (thankfully most PC sism allow you to adjust this to taste - as most race prepared cars do). Shorter throttle travel makes corrections such as these much more difficult to manage.

Sorry, but again you're referring to the wrong thing. :indiff: I'm not talking about anything that has to do with the throttle -- in fact, poor throttle control in the form of mashing the pedal to the floor should produce the opposite of the phenomenon to which I am referring to (a sudden and complete lift-off could possibly do the same, depending on the car). I'm talking about the behavior of a car as it "returns" from a drift, and how GT4 makes this happen far, far too soon, rather strongly/suddenly (leading to a spin towards the outside of the corner), and very artificially (quick, smooth, unnatural rotation of the car, as if it were being controlled by a crude, simple computer physics model. As I've said numerous times before, GT4 is filled with behaviors like this, which leads me to believe that GT4 isn't as complicated and detailed as PD would like you to believe).

Which 'wrong' handling characteristics are these exactly? Kind of hard to discuss without specific examples.

I did not feel the need to embellish that statement because the characteristics to which I am referring to are the ones that we are currently debating, here. :)

Then my apologies, you used two similar cars (one being evolved from the other) to directly compare how two sims handle, it seemed like a comparison to me.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I simply used the E30 M3 and E46 M3 because, seeing as how M3's, and BMW's in general, are my favorite cars, they're often the ones that I use to screw around and test physics. :)

OK, you know I have issues with how GT4 handles certain manouvers, mainly do-nuts and handbrakes turns, and you also know that I have tested these at a range of speeds. As far as i am aware i'm also the only person to look at how these type of manouvers have ben handled through the GT series.

I was referring to no-handbrake-involved drifting, though. I've drifted the E46 M3 in the Gymkhana parking lot, and at speeds high enough to fall under your category of "high speed" (60mph). I wouldn't really call it "drifting," though, as it was very awkward to do, very awkward-looking, and I had no true control over the car.

Um, feedback through the steering wheel is a result of feedback from the suspension and chassis and the real world level of feel varies significantly from car to car. The examples I mentioned are from personal experience, its the one area I believe all sims have a very, very long way to go, and what limits the realism of them all.

A classic example is that of scuttle shake, caused by the flexing of the chassis in a lot of older convertables (and quite a few newer ones), it charcteristically shows itself through movement in the steering column and wheel.

I did also say wheel and seat.

Yes, but I'm not referring to steering-wheel feedback at all. I'm referring to the visual and seat-of-the-pants feedback a car gives you as it signals that the end of the drift is near. Of course, no sim can provide the seat-of-the-pants feedback without an expensive hydraulic thingymajigger, but games like Live for Speed, Enthusia, or GTR/GTLegends do an excellent job of providing the visual element. Even arcadey, unrealistic games like Midnight Club 3 do a better job of allowing a player to "read" suspension movement than GT4 does. I was rather struck by the obviousness of it recently, in one of the Photomode threads. Check out this and this . Those photos also demonstrate that GT4 doesn't understand the concept of camber, and if it does, it's quite obviously calculated as just another variable with artifical effects on cornering, rather than a real-time, physical simulation, like in Live for Speed.

Very funny :) , you know what I mean.

I know. :)

Would never say you were alone on this one, but neither am I.

No, but I've always thought that Mr. Deap's video there did an excellent job of illustrating my disappointment in GT4, and it felt like an opportune time to incorporate it into my post. :)

Sorry about that, I was tring to quote from memory (sorry too lazy to go and find the exact quote. All the same it does help illustrate what I am saying, Grand Prix legends is a similar story. I've spoken to people who are involved in historic racing who have tried to use GPL as a practice tool and say that its just too damn hard. The lack of 'real' feedback means that (for them) while the numbers are all be caluclated as they should by the (excellent) physics engine, it still does not 'feel' right to these people. Others, as I am sure you know, would disagree with a passion.

So in this example who is right? The die-hard GPL fans who know that the numbers, engine, etc are all exactly as they should be, or the people who actually drive and race the cars.

Its not such a straightforward area when its looked at in this way.

Indeed, it is far from straightforward. I've never looked at realistic physics as simply a battle of numbers, anyway (that's why I've never found much proof in your M3 skidpad numbers, unfortunately. Sorry. :indiff: ). Numbers certainly help, but if the sim still isn't right, it still isn't right. GPL is a good example -- I was never particularly impressed with it, and I recall finding a thread on some forum where some rich guy who actually owned one of the cars and drove it was explaining how the sim was too uncontrollable, and everyone else jumped down his throat, exclaiming something along the lines of "GPL IS DA MOST REALISTIC EVAR STFU NOOB." Forza is an even better example, probably the best. I mean, at least GPL was pretty good at realism. Forza is just a big joke. :lol:

Anyway, everything I've ever experienced in a car, on the track and off, has been replicated rather well in Live for Speed, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Enthusia. GT4 fares far worse.

I'm sure you would disagree, and I'm not sure whether we'll ever agree on that.

BTW I have RBR for the PS2 and the PC demo, not much difference that I have seen between they in regard to a sense of speed.

Darn. That game seems so promising, too...but 100km/h looks like 50. :indiff:

Nuvolari
Would GT4 allow or cause the driver to do himself the harm of developing improper driving habits or creating misinterpretations of what he should be doing at all of the critical points on the track? Would it be dangerous for the driver to even try to practice using GT4?

I'm no "real competitive driver," but having driven around the 'Ring, I have a couple points to offer. For one thing, in GT4, almost every car ever made can get airborne at places like the Flugplatz. This is not true in real life. Also, GT4 laptimes, whether it's a lack of fear, an improperly modelled track, or too-fast driving model, are much, much faster than real-life laptimes, so if the driver were to aim for his GT4 laptime, he could get into trouble.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be dangerous at all. Visually, GT4's 'Ring is very close to the real thing, and I'm glad I had experience with it before tackling the real one. :) Also, most of GT4's flaws will make it so that the driver will drive more carefully around the track, such as the too-hard-to-control oversteer, too-prevalent understeer, and the fact that GT4 forces you to take the Karussell at a much slower speed than necessary. :)

Wolfe2x7
Sorry, but again you're referring to the wrong thing. :indiff: I'm not talking about anything that has to do with the throttle -- in fact, poor throttle control in the form of mashing the pedal to the floor should produce the opposite of the phenomenon to which I am referring to (a sudden and complete lift-off could possibly do the same, depending on the car). I'm talking about the behavior of a car as it "returns" from a drift, and how GT4 makes this happen far, far too soon, rather strongly/suddenly (leading to a spin towards the outside of the corner), and very artificially (quick, smooth, unnatural rotation of the car, as if it were being controlled by a crude, simple computer physics model. As I've said numerous times before, GT4 is filled with behaviors like this, which leads me to believe that GT4 isn't as complicated and detailed as PD would like you to believe).

I do know eqactly what you are refering to, and again have to ask if you have been driving a car that has lost control at these kind of speeds? I've already said that a car can and will do this in the right circumstances, and that I had experienced them for myself.

Additionally the piece I included to illustrate the point seems to have missed its mark, so I will quote the main part I wanted to refer to on its own.

Autocar
"And if that isn't enough, the caster effect of the steering is so severe that the wheel attampts to self-centre itself the moment you back off, making for very snappy corrections if you're not super-accurate"

This also goes back to the level of understeer that GT4 exibits, which you states as being too extreme and too prevelant. Yet two people with experience of track driving (Niky and myself) relate how GT4's understeer is as severe as that which cane be experienced on the track, and we simply get dismissed.

The member who started this thread asked for people to make a direct comparison between GT4 and track (and dirt) based experience, which is exactly what Niky and myself have done. I do have to ask, why are our experences (mine from over a decade of track and proving ground driving) dismissed out of hand?

I've never claimed that GT4 is a perfect sim, as I strongly believe that the limits of the PS2 hardware limit what is possiable at present.. Yes other sims on the platform are better in some areas, but also have there own limits in other areas.

Wolfe2x7
I did not feel the need to embellish that statement because the characteristics to which I am referring to are the ones that we are currently debating, here. :)

OK, cool. Just wanted to be 100% on that.

Wolfe2x7
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I simply used the E30 M3 and E46 M3 because, seeing as how M3's, and BMW's in general, are my favorite cars, they're often the ones that I use to screw around and test physics. :)

Again, I just seemed as if a direct comparison was being odne between EPR and GT4, but using two cars that in truth only share a name and heritage.

Wolfe2x7
I was referring to no-handbrake-involved drifting, though. I've drifted the E46 M3 in the Gymkhana parking lot, and at speeds high enough to fall under your category of "high speed" (60mph). I wouldn't really call it "drifting," though, as it was very awkward to do, very awkward-looking, and I had no true control over the car.

Only last night I was reading a number of posts about how people do use the Gymkhana as an area to practice drifting in GT4. Guess this one can have a lot to do with the individual involved.

Wolfe2x7
Yes, but I'm not referring to steering-wheel feedback at all. I'm referring to the visual and seat-of-the-pants feedback a car gives you as it signals that the end of the drift is near. Of course, no sim can provide the seat-of-the-pants feedback without an expensive hydraulic thingymajigger, but games like Live for Speed, Enthusia, or GTR/GTLegends do an excellent job of providing the visual element. Even arcadey, unrealistic games like Midnight Club 3 do a better job of allowing a player to "read" suspension movement than GT4 does. I was rather struck by the obviousness of it recently, in one of the Photomode threads. Check out this and this . Those photos also demonstrate that GT4 doesn't understand the concept of camber, and if it does, it's quite obviously calculated as just another variable with artifical effects on cornering, rather than a real-time, physical simulation, like in Live for Speed

Ok you have me now, I can't take seriously a statement that claims Midnight Club 3 allows you to read suspension movment better that GT4. You may find this to be true (for yourself), but I do strongly think that the majority of people here would disagree.

The two photo you used, while interesting, do not unfortunatly 100% prove anything. Either of the cars in question could have been modified and/or tuned before the pictures were taken, which would have an effect on the way camber is visualy shown.

Even then, it still depends on how the camber is used. Forza clearly has visiable camber movement, yet to use your own words:"Forza is just a big joke".

Now please do not take this as a cliam that GT4 does or does not model x, y or z. The points I am trying to make are.

1. I would rather have a physics engine that uses basic information well, than one that uses complex information badly. Even if GT4 falls into the former, I would rather have that. To preempt a possiable answer, I do not accept that GT4 uses basic information badly.

2. I don't think that without seeing the actual physics model at work you can make cliams about how it is operating. Its rather a large leap to take.

Wolfe2x7
No, but I've always thought that Mr. Deap's video there did an excellent job of illustrating my disappointment in GT4, and it felt like an opportune time to incorporate it into my post. :)

I've seen the Mr Deep video before, and while it is interesting, to be 100% impartial you could say that all it proves is that Mr Deap is comfortable drifting in EPR and not in GT4. Or are all the people who post videos in the GT4 drifting threads making it all up?

Wolfe2x7
Indeed, it is far from straightforward. I've never looked at realistic physics as simply a battle of numbers, anyway (that's why I've never found much proof in your M3 skidpad numbers, unfortunately. Sorry. :indiff: ). Numbers certainly help, but if the sim still isn't right, it still isn't right. GPL is a good example -- I was never particularly impressed with it, and I recall finding a thread on some forum where some rich guy who actually owned one of the cars and drove it was explaining how the sim was too uncontrollable, and everyone else jumped down his throat, exclaiming something along the lines of "GPL IS DA MOST REALISTIC EVAR STFU NOOB." Forza is an even better example, probably the best. I mean, at least GPL was pretty good at realism. Forza is just a big joke. :lol:

My M3 figures were never intended as proof of anything (although it is a little strange that my data is not proof of anything but Mr Deaps video is relevent). The data was originally put togther for myself, in an attempt to see if any of the GT4 tyres was close to real figures. Also to see the differences between the tyres themselves, as an aid to car modification and tuning.

You have however made exactly the same point as I have done with regard to different sims, just because one person says it has the 'feel' of a real car, and another disagrees does not automatically make one right and the other wrong.

Given the comments made by a lot of racing drivers, motoring writers, etc about both GT4 and EPR, are all the ones who rate GT4 wrong. Is Tiff Needell an idiot because he rates GT4? What about the author of a piece in Car magazine that compares the 'ring in GT4 to the real thing after driving both, he says, and I quote "Karussell. Here, the game is uncannily real: if you are flat out on screen, you're flat out in the real car". Written by someone with the ability to test the same car in both GT4 and real life, who was able to compare GPS data logging data between boty. Someone who evaluates, tests and writes about car performance for a living. Is he also totally wrong, because its starting to seem as if a lot of people who are paid to evaluate cars must be wrong, or are they.

BTW - entire piece on GT4 and the 'ring, no mention of how bad and unrealistic the understeer is, damn you'd think someone like this would know what they were talking about.

Wolfe2x7
Anyway, everything I've ever experienced in a car, on the track and off, has been replicated rather well in Live for Speed, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Enthusia. GT4 fares far worse.

I'm sure you would disagree, and I'm not sure whether we'll ever agree on that.

I do disagree, but perhaps not in the way yo umay imagine. LFS is better than either GT4 or EPR, that I would not argue with at all. It has the advantage of running on a PC, rather than being limited by the technical restraints of a PS2. Its still not perfect and the lack of (apart from two) real cars a big minus to me.

Enthusia in terms of purely the engine I would rate slightly higher than GT4, but it still has a number of weak areas in the physics model, particularly at very high speed and with race spec cars. As an overall package I still prefer GT4, the car range in EPR is very good, but its still limited (anyone who says it does not have any duff cars is talking out of their a**e - 2CV Charleston anyone).

However the interface is shockingly bad, the AI (while better that GT - which is not hard) is still not great, only a few of the tracks standout, with some of the early city tracks (Rev City very Ridge Racer) and rally tracks being a joke (lets all rally in a cave, very Mario), the nasty car upgrade system (far to RPG - I've got a Lvl 10 2CV) and the basic and simplistic nature of tuning cars.

It is however still a very good sign to see a strong competitor to GT4 (which Forza is not), because this is needed, and I keep my fingers crossed for a second EPR.

Wolfe2x7
Darn. That game seems so promising, too...but 100km/h looks like 50. :indiff:

Its a damn good game, the sense of speed thing is not a major issue to me. Its all a case of perception anyway. Do 140mph in a car on a runway and it hardly seems to be moving. Do 70mph in the same car with a hedge 3 feet from you and it seems like a 140mph.

Racing drivers also often talk about when they are in the zone, how everything seems to move slower and they have more time to react. A sense of speed is relative to the individual, and the lack of peripheral vision caused by a full face helmet does also reduce the sense of speed.

Happy Christmas :)

Scaff

BTW - Please be aware that I was under the influence of certain alcoholic beverages when writing this.

Nuvolari
This is the most technically impressive dialog I've yet read at GTPlanet.

This inquiry is directed at Scaff, primarily because of his obvious experience in actual technical/competitive driving and his knowledge of GT4. I would be interested in other responses, but I'd like to confine the responses to those of experienced competitive "real" asphalt drivers.

This is a hypothetical:

Assume that an experienced road racer, perhaps someone with middle or higher level championship series wins, came to you and said that he/she was going to be driving at the Nordschleife sometime in the future in a standard but very high performance car. The car might be an M3 GTR or a RUF 911 or some similar high-performance car. The Nordschleife would be clear of all traffic and the purpose of the drive would be to go as quickly as possible while driving with a relatively risk-free style, which would be more classic (with straight-line braking) than with significant reliance on trail-braking except perhaps at the more obvious corner entries.

This road racer would be asking your advice about whether or not they could practice for the real drive at the Nordschleife by using GT4, along with a Driving Force Pro wheel set up for only right foot brake and throttle, and normally with no driving aids, and with any other setup factors you might recommend.

Assume that the car would be absolutely stock, as it would be in Arcade mode, and the only equipment choice would be tires, other than the car itself.

Would N2 or N3 tires put him on the safe side of developing the judgement for the degree of grip that is actually available at the track?

Thanks in advance,

Tazio

I would agree with the vast majority of what Wolfe has said in regard to how much use GT4 would be prioir to racing the 'ring.

The article I mentioned in the post above about Car magazine running a 350Z at the 'ring for real and on GT4.

They describe (as does Wolfe and I would agree) GT4 as being and excellent tool for learning the layout of one fo the most complex tracks in the world. To then drive it in the real world means you have to keep in mind that unlike GT4, the track conditions are going to change (the 'ring is so big it can be raining at one end and sunny at the other).

No sim featuring the 'ring is good enough to be a true subsitute for actual time on a track with a car, but they are a good guide. As the Car article says (on driving the real 'ring after GT4 "After three laps you'll be going pretty fast and loving it - 10 laps and you'll be as quick as most people out there. As long as you know your own limits, you'll enjoy every corner."

Regards

Scaff

LeadSlead#2
if the fronts lock up, however, on some cars, the back brakes lock up first

Backs never lock up before the front unless you have a crazy amount of rear brake bias, which nobody would do.
Fronts will lock up because when you brake more weight gets shifted to the front of the car. The heaviest side of the car's wheel will always lock up before the other wheel on the same axle.

I've always wondered where all the 'four years of analysing cars data' has gone if GT4 is unrealistic :(
I've noticed 4 does have some weird issues with drifting, seems to have WAY too much power-oversteer. GT2 seemed much more drift-able.

If there's anything that bugs me about these discussions, Scaff, it's having to drag out GT4 and do a bit of driving before making a post :lol: -- trust me, I'm not just shooting from the hip, here.

Scaff
I do know eqactly what you are refering to, and again have to ask if you have been driving a car that has lost control at these kind of speeds? I've already said that a car can and will do this in the right circumstances, and that I had experienced them for myself.

Scaff, Scaff, Scaff. Read this next part carefully: I am not stating that snap-oversteer from too much countersteer does not or cannot happen. I am stating that GT4 is too eager to make it happen. In other words, it's too easy to overcorrect in GT4, because countersteer is "hypersensitive." C'mon, I've been trying to explain this for several posts, now. :indiff: I know that it happens, I've done it numerous times in both Live for Speed and Enthusia, and have experienced it first-hand, in real life. :) Since you have stated that you believe Live for Speed is better than GT4, allow me to put it this way -- GT4 is much more prone to causing overcorrection than LFS is.

It probably has something to do with GT4's inaccurate rear-end traction-loss physics, you know, the ones that make true burnouts and donuts impossible, and the Cobra (among other high-power-to-weight-ratio cars) easy to deal with. I believe the same flaw applies at all speeds, not just slow speeds.

Additionally the piece I included to illustrate the point seems to have missed its mark, so I will quote the main part I wanted to refer to on its own.

This also goes back to the level of understeer that GT4 exibits, which you states as being too extreme and too prevelant. Yet two people with experience of track driving (Niky and myself) relate how GT4's understeer is as severe as that which cane be experienced on the track, and we simply get dismissed.

The member who started this thread asked for people to make a direct comparison between GT4 and track (and dirt) based experience, which is exactly what Niky and myself have done. I do have to ask, why are our experences (mine from over a decade of track and proving ground driving) dismissed out of hand?

I've never claimed that GT4 is a perfect sim, as I strongly believe that the limits of the PS2 hardware limit what is possiable at present.. Yes other sims on the platform are better in some areas, but also have there own limits in other areas.

Did it seem like I dismissed your and Niky's on-track experiences? If so, then I apologize, but I do not recall directly doing so. There's a difference between understeer being "as severe as can be experienced on the track," as you say, and understeer exhibiting all of the same characteristics as experienced on the track. I have no doubt that roadcars tend to understeer on a racetrack -- Enthusia's cars do it, Live for Speed's cars do it, and I'm sure my car will do it if I ever get a chance to run Road America. However, my statement that GT4's understeer is "too extreme" is not meant as a comment on its intensity, or raw probability -- what I mean is that GT4 exhibits the wrong characteristics of understeer. In Enthusia and LFS, the cars feel "alive." You can actually feel the weight that they possess. They move about on their suspensions convincingly, and if you botch a corner entry, yes, it's possible that you could understeer, but you could also oversteer, depending on how you screw up. Botch a corner entry on GT4, and almost no matter what, your car "seizes up" as if it had a stroke, and plummets towards the wall in über-understeer mode. If you want to initiate a drift mid-corner in LFS or Enthusia, it's just a matter of using the brakes, wheel, and/or throttle to get the weight transfer going and the power flowing. If you want to initiate a drift mid-corner in GT4, you're pretty much S.O.L. If you want to toss a light, underpowered car around and have some fun doing some slides, LFS and Enthusia will deliver. Try to do the same thing in GT4, and it's understeer-, overcorrection-, and frustration-city.

Also, my laptime may have been rather dismal, but don't go forgetting that I have had track experience, myself. Unless you'd like to dismiss that.

Again, I just seemed as if a direct comparison was being odne between EPR and GT4, but using two cars that in truth only share a name and heritage.

Would it help if I used the E46 M3 GTR in both games? If so, my statements and opinions about their handling characteristics go unchanged -- I've already compared those two before. The E30 M3 came up as a closer comparison to my real car, and simply because that was the car I chose to do donuts and drifting in while writing that post. :indiff:

Only last night I was reading a number of posts about how people do use the Gymkhana as an area to practice drifting in GT4. Guess this one can have a lot to do with the individual involved.

It does have to do with the individual -- while I'm thinking to myself, "jeez, this drifting is so fake-looking, and awkward to control...it's just 'wannabe' drifting." Someone else might think, "wow, this drifting stuff is harder than I thought -- I better keep practicing." A third person might think, "darn, I just can't do this at all. If only I knew how to tune my cars to drift..." Deciding which viewpoint is more qualified and/or accurate is up to you.

Ok you have me now, I can't take seriously a statement that claims Midnight Club 3 allows you to read suspension movment better that GT4. You may find this to be true (for yourself), but I do strongly think that the majority of people here would disagree.

There's a large gap between stating "Midnight Club 3 features a more visually dynamic suspension than GT4" and "Midnight Club 3 is more realistic than GT4." :lol: Well darn, I was rather hoping you'd notice the same thing. :) Rockstar has always done a good job of making their cars feel "alive," and modelling a rather dynamic suspension design. For crying out loud, in Grand Theft Auto you can get cars up on two wheels under cornering and even roll them over! In GT4 and EPR, you can't! Doesn't that count for anything in your eyes? :lol:

The two photo you used, while interesting, do not unfortunatly 100% prove anything. Either of the cars in question could have been modified and/or tuned before the pictures were taken, which would have an effect on the way camber is visualy shown.

Even then, it still depends on how the camber is used. Forza clearly has visiable camber movement, yet to use your own words:"Forza is just a big joke".

Forza has visible camber movement? Wow...Anyway, perhaps I should PM the author of those photos. In any case, the absence of visual camber does demonstrate one thing -- that it's possible that PD had overlooked it. I didn't really mean for it to prove any more than that, anyway. Read that portion of my post again -- I do mention the possibility that it is simply absent in the visual model, and still represented behind-the-scenes.

Now please do not take this as a cliam that GT4 does or does not model x, y or z. The points I am trying to make are.

1. I would rather have a physics engine that uses basic information well, than one that uses complex information badly. Even if GT4 falls into the former, I would rather have that. To preempt a possiable answer, I do not accept that GT4 uses basic information badly.

2. I don't think that without seeing the actual physics model at work you can make cliams about how it is operating. Its rather a large leap to take.

1. I agree, I would rather have a game perform realistically from basic data than unrealistically from complex data. However, although I'm sure it's possible to create a fairly realistic model without camber, it's one of those things that is a common "ingredient" in realistic sims. Just look at how much better LFS S2 drives compared to S1 -- S2 incorporated full suspension modelling, more accurate suspension movement (for example, a change of camber upon compression on MacPherson struts), and more accurate tire deformation. Those details are too minute for "basic information," but they helped LFS's realism greatly.

2. Well, GT4's physics model looks, moves, and behaves in a way that I deem unrealistic, artificially smooth, and awkward. Does it really seem like that big of a jump to then assume that the physics system is programmed in a way that I deem unrealistic and too simple?

I've seen the Mr Deep video before, and while it is interesting, to be 100% impartial you could say that all it proves is that Mr Deap is comfortable drifting in EPR and not in GT4. Or are all the people who post videos in the GT4 drifting threads making it all up?

My intentions in posting the Mr. Deap video were 100% emotional, 0% factual. :indiff:

My M3 figures were never intended as proof of anything (although it is a little strange that my data is not proof of anything but Mr Deaps video is relevent).

See above. :indiff:

The data was originally put togther for myself, in an attempt to see if any of the GT4 tyres was close to real figures. Also to see the differences between the tyres themselves, as an aid to car modification and tuning.

You have however made exactly the same point as I have done with regard to different sims, just because one person says it has the 'feel' of a real car, and another disagrees does not automatically make one right and the other wrong.

Given the comments made by a lot of racing drivers, motoring writers, etc about both GT4 and EPR, are all the ones who rate GT4 wrong. Is Tiff Needell an idiot because he rates GT4? What about the author of a piece in Car magazine that compares the 'ring in GT4 to the real thing after driving both, he says, and I quote "Karussell. Here, the game is uncannily real: if you are flat out on screen, you're flat out in the real car". Written by someone with the ability to test the same car in both GT4 and real life, who was able to compare GPS data logging data between boty. Someone who evaluates, tests and writes about car performance for a living. Is he also totally wrong, because its starting to seem as if a lot of people who are paid to evaluate cars must be wrong, or are they.

BTW - entire piece on GT4 and the 'ring, no mention of how bad and unrealistic the understeer is, damn you'd think someone like this would know what they were talking about.

I could say the same thing -- are you saying that a proffesional racecar driver like Gan-San, or any of the other people there, are unqualified in evaluating Enthusia?

In the end, pretty much all of those testimonies, on either side, are bogus anyway, for a few reasons. Of course, there's always the possibility of compensation, or simply indifference. There's also the fact that a story deriding one of the absolute most-popular racing games ever made wouldn't go over so well with the public.

However, the most important one in my eyes, is that people like Tiff, who are brought on to test GT4, are likely to have never played any other driving games/sims. Of course he's going to be impressed, and say things like "wow, this is pretty good -- of course, it isn't perfect, but it's good." He has nothing to compare it to, and has simply been shoved in front of a game that attempts to replicate reality, as opposed to Burnout, Need for Speed, and any other over-the-top racing games that Tiff may have noticed before at his local shopping mall.

The only interview I trust is that of Gan-San, who has obviously played GT4, among other games, and found EPR to be the best/most-realistic on the console market. I'd be more than happy to acknowledge a similar review from an equally-qualified driver who has played both games, stating the opposite, but as of yet, I do not know of such an interview.

And before you say, "what about the GPS data logging" and whatnot, the staff of Enthusia have done the same thing, here and here . As you and I have discussed just now, I don't think numbers truly prove a sim's competence, but I thought you might be interested in those pages nonetheless.

I do disagree, but perhaps not in the way yo umay imagine. LFS is better than either GT4 or EPR, that I would not argue with at all. It has the advantage of running on a PC, rather than being limited by the technical restraints of a PS2. Its still not perfect and the lack of (apart from two) real cars a big minus to me.

I agree with that downside to LFS -- the car selection is the reason why I tend to play EPR more. :)

Enthusia in terms of purely the engine I would rate slightly higher than GT4, but it still has a number of weak areas in the physics model, particularly at very high speed and with race spec cars. As an overall package I still prefer GT4, the car range in EPR is very good, but its still limited (anyone who says it does not have any duff cars is talking out of their a**e - 2CV Charleston anyone).

However the interface is shockingly bad, the AI (while better that GT - which is not hard) is still not great, only a few of the tracks standout, with some of the early city tracks (Rev City very Ridge Racer) and rally tracks being a joke (lets all rally in a cave, very Mario), the nasty car upgrade system (far to RPG - I've got a Lvl 10 2CV) and the basic and simplistic nature of tuning cars.

It is however still a very good sign to see a strong competitor to GT4 (which Forza is not), because this is needed, and I keep my fingers crossed for a second EPR.

R-Class cars are unrealistic, and drift recovery is easy, especially at higher speeds. Yes. But do those flaws really drag EPR as far down as GT4, with its ineffective handbrake, nonexistent donuts, terrible low-speed traction physics and drifting, lack of proper limited-slip-diff simulation, alarmingly artificial, "lifeless" suspension/car movement, slow gear-shifting, etc....I could go on, but I assume I've run out of things that you would possibly agree with. :lol:

My point is, you have to look at what's more important, and what flaws are more damaging to each respective physics system. As far as I'm concerned, the R-class cars are easy to avoid and constitute the minority of the car selection, and the easy drifting does nothing but make things more enjoyable. Nothing on that list of flaws makes GT4 more enjoyable for me. Only more frustrating.

Its a damn good game, the sense of speed thing is not a major issue to me. Its all a case of perception anyway. Do 140mph in a car on a runway and it hardly seems to be moving. Do 70mph in the same car with a hedge 3 feet from you and it seems like a 140mph.

All the more reason for RBR to be faster-looking, since rally often involves hedges and other plants/obstacles close to the track. Also, sense of speed is affected by how a programmer sets it. Haven't you ever played with LFS's field-of-view adjuster? The smaller your field of view is, the slower everything will seem. It's the same reason why, when a video camera is looking out through the windshield, zooming in will make everything seem slower.

Racing drivers also often talk about when they are in the zone, how everything seems to move slower and they have more time to react. A sense of speed is relative to the individual, and the lack of peripheral vision caused by a full face helmet does also reduce the sense of speed.

You're right about the helmet, but as I said above, sense-of-speed in videogames is hardly a person-to-person thing (at least, not by itself). It doesn't even have to involve field-of-view -- if the game's speedometer is off, or the sense of scale is off (common problem in NFS games), it can have negative effects on the sense of speed.

As for the "zone" thing, I know what you mean, and I'd rather do it myself than have the game do it for me. :lol:

BTW - Please be aware that I was under the influence of certain alcoholic beverages when writing this.

I understand. ;)

Merry Christmas! :cheers:

Guy's topic please.

I've come to the conclusion that GT4 may not be all that bad, however my DFP may be. It works brilliant with EPR, LFS, GTR and more but with GT4 it tends to go funny, the feedback goes and I can't use fast cars with it because it goes psychotic, you can't even drive straight at speed, you just spin. But in the non 200mph cars theres just no proper feedback coming through. It's preferctly fine with every other game, well sim, I've tried it on, just not GT4. So I'll reserve my judgment on GT4's phsyics for now and simply enjoy reading the technical info scaff and co have been debating over.

do you guys ever compare speeds?

i havnt read every single post in this thread, but from a couple that i read
they were saying their RL cars have grippy tires and all that
~ umm.... what cornering speeds were you doing? on what kinda corners

when you actually sit down and play gt4, and then take some corners
check the speedo and see what speed you are actually taking the corner
~ then relate this to real life, and picture your tires gripping at those speeds
and this is ofcourse, using sportscars

@liveforspeed, try changing your DFP settings ~ turn off both assists for the wheel, and im gaurenteed you will like the feel more

hOt6o4bOi
do you guys ever compare speeds?

i havnt read every single post in this thread, but from a couple that i read
they were saying their RL cars have grippy tires and all that
~ umm.... what cornering speeds were you doing? on what kinda corners

when you actually sit down and play gt4, and then take some corners
check the speedo and see what speed you are actually taking the corner
~ then relate this to real life, and picture your tires gripping at those speeds
and this is ofcourse, using sportscars

This is hard to do, unless the exact same corner can be taken in the exact same car.

Besides, if the speed at which you think you're going and the speed at which you are going are off by a significant margin, there's a problem with the game's sense of speed, or sometimes the game's physics.

A driving game that is truly realistic should feel perfectly natural to play, regardless of the visual/physical limits that the TV/monitor, DS2/DFP, and lack of G-forces impose.

hOt6o4bOi
@liveforspeed, try changing your DFP settings ~ turn off both assists for the wheel, and im gaurenteed you will like the feel more
They are off, but on that front I've recently re-started GT4, I've still got my old save with all my car's and everything but I've started another game to try and get me interested in it again and lo and behold, the DFP seems to be working fine now. All the settings are exactley the same as before, but it works fine, I don't get it, but it's a much better experience now. I still don't think GT4 comes remotely close to driving a real car, but it's not as far behind other sims as I was tending to think before.

When it comes to set up for the DFP I recommend you use the Mild on Force Feedback and leave the Power steering assist or whatever it's called on. The power steering says it will make the wheel lighter when you need to turn it fast and I feel it's more realistic because the steering wheel get's light when the cars starts to slide in real life too. I used to play with Force Feedback on strong, but found it too strong so it works against you and also makes the steering feel to choppy because you kinda feel the forces kick in and out all the time. If you are used to play on strong and then go to mild it will feel a bit strange, so I recommend to adjust if you haven't played for a few days or atleast wait until the next day so you start up fresh. Never used the active steering, but I assume that will be less realistic because it seems to somekind of aid??

are you sure that you can actually feel the difference and its not in your head? ask someone with you to change settings without you being able to see. (turning power assistance on and off etc) about 5 times and see if you can actually feel the difference. I havent played gt4 in months myselfs ... i remember hearing many people say those other steering options didnt affect the dfp.

Not sure if the last one was for me?? I definelty feel difference with Powersteering on. The wheel is and should be lighter when you need to counter steer. With it off it feels weird with a heavy wheel trying to countersteer.

Bullitt73
Not sure if the last one was for me?? I definelty feel difference with Powersteering on. The wheel is and should be lighter when you need to counter steer. With it off it feels weird with a heavy wheel trying to countersteer.

Yeah, Live for Speed used to have that problem. I'm so glad they upgraded the force feedback... :)

Back