Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)

• Thread starter joe8
  • 363 comments
Getting it for one game isn't the best idea to begin with.
I actually bought it for zero games. :D

I bought it for watching and thoroughly enjoying over a hundred Blu-ray movies in 1080p with multi-channel lossless HD audio over HDMI 1.3... 👍👍

However, I must admit, I have been enjoying many of the free demo games, including the demo for this game, and the exclusive 1080p HD movie trailers are a nice bonus.

I still have not bought a game for my PS3, but judging by the demo and the reviews, this F1 game will be my first PS3 game I plan to get. I'm still on the fence about Motorstorm, as I'm not a fan of arcade style driving games, but I must admit, it is somewhat fun, and the online play does sound quite entertaining.

That said, MustangSVT may still be holding out hope for HD DVD, thus his interest in the PS3 is likely limited to only the games. Although judging by how many more exclusive titles there are for Blu-ray over HD DVD, and how poorly HD DVD hardware and software is selling compared to Blu-ray, he might be forced to switch to Blu-ray in the near future.

In fact, besides RCA's decision to stop selling HD DVD players, now Warner & Paramount (both of which used to be exclusive supporters of HD DVD) are joining all the other major studios exclusively backing Blu-ray in spreading the word that Blu-ray should be the HD disc format of choice.

Of course, even for those only interested in games, looking over the slate of current and future PS3 games, I see over a hundred exclusive PS3 titles, many of which appear to be top-tier games - several of which have and/or will likely take advantage of being able to use up to 49GB capacity of Blu-ray for game data compared to just 7GB for the XB360 games.

The FF in the wheel makes all the difference. If the PS2 didn't have such a nice wheel as DFP that worked with GT4 and PC very well, I wouldn't have bought GT4 at all. I can't stand the dual shock controller.

Since I have never driven a racing game with a wheel I can't imagine why you would not buy it at all. Sure...I may be missing out on the fun of wheel racing but to forgo a game because of FF sounds silly. What do you stand to gain by refusing to buy the game?
Excellent point, and reading some of the reviews, they liked the game using a wheel despite no FF.

AS long as there is re-centering it should be fine. Passing on it for not having FF is knit picking. GTHD has no re-centering, thats what kills it. The software has to disable re-center, its not something the wheel does on its own.

AS long as there is re-centering it should be fine. Passing on it for not having FF is knit picking. GTHD has no re-centering, thats what kills it. The software has to disable re-center, its not something the wheel does on its own.

Humm...What would I think about that if my DS2 didn't self-center? It might make it more work then fun if your wheel didn't center. That being said I would still buy the game and scrap the wheel. I just can't pass up next gen racing because of a controller.

It's not knit picking at all. I didn't pay $250 for my G25 to not use FF on it. I'd rather play rFactor with 2005 CDTP F1 mod with FF than play a F1 game without FF.

Way to be a troll Digital Nitrate. I suggest you keep your propaganda where it belongs.

It's not knit picking at all. I didn't pay $250 for my G25 to not use FF on it. I'd rather play rFactor with 2005 CDTP F1 mod with FF than play a F1 game without FF.

I think with all of our manipulative powers here at GTP
hypnotized.gif
, you eventually wouldn't be able to stand it and you would have to see what we are all talking about. :sly:

With it's release today, how many are picking up this title in the US? If I could get away to the store, I'd be racing right now.....

Just curious.

With it's release today, how many are picking up this title in the US? If I could get away to the store, I'd be racing right now.....

Just curious.

I'm probably gonna pick it up tomorrow/today. Not a big fan of the demo, but I need a new PS3 game badly.

You just cant compare it to rfactor, 2 completely different systems, 2 completely different season of racing, 2 compeltely different levels of grpahics, 2 compeltely different physics models, 2 completely different games!

Its like comparing need for speed with GTR..you jsut dont do it:P

Looks like the majority of reviewers liked it even more than IGN:

GameRankings: Formula One Championship Edition

With 19 reviews posted, more than half gave F1 Championship an 80% or better rating, and three gave it 90% or better - resulting in an average rating of 86% among those majority of reviews.

In fact, of all 19 reviews, only three gave it less than 70%, and those three seriously affect the average as they only gave it a 50% or less... suggesting they are not at all being realistic in their review... or have some alternative agenda.

Despite those three suspiciously low reviews... the median average is still 80%, which is also close to what a properly weighted average would be as well.

I have not had a chance yet to pick this up, but the more I read the greater my interest becomes.

I'm especially interested to see how well the online gameplay is. I really like the idea of playing against up to 11 other players online, and chat support. If anyone is playing this online, I'd love to hear what you think. Especially on what kind of game options/settings are available online. Thanks!

For the most part the only games I play is racing games, other then helping my kids get passed something in everyother disney game made from the last movie.

What my observations of reviews and ratings leads me to believe that half of us in here know more about driving games then reviewers at game sites. I get the impression that they are tired of the whole driving sector of game play. If its not another rpg or war game they just arn't interested in what the game might bring. I invision a grown when disk lands on their desk that has anything to do with cars.

Huh...got a little time into this game tonight. The career mode may be a little to 'sim' for me, but we'll see. Haven't really checked out the other modes. Looks like it also supports all the logitech wheels as well.

I've played it for a few hours so far. Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first. The few replays I've see don't even come close to GT4 quality. The overall presentation is pretty boring. The pit area is poorly rendered. The AI is just a little smarter than GT4. So far I haven't been able to replay any of my sessions. I haven't been able to adjust the rev limiter.

Now the good stuff. This game is all about the driving. The sound is incredible! The graphics (while driving) are about as good as anything I've ever seen and the sense of speed is right on, especially with the in-car cams. I just about wet myself when I saw the graphics during my Time Trial at Indy. Simply stunning! The tracks get dirtier as races go on. The physic seem right to me and the major aspects of the car's performance are widely adjustable, such as traction control, brake bias, front and rear downforce, gearing, and fuel level. There is also a great selection of driving views.

So far I'm very pleased. There's still a lot more I have yet to discover though. I haven't gone online with it yet.

i played a few races last night and started a career. The career "seems" boring but will have to delve farther to pass a final judgement. I agree with superb16 about the good and bad, he pretty much summed up my impressions as well.

I did some online races last night and had a good time. A couple of lags here and there but nothing that ruined it, so overall I am very pleased and I'm just pumped to have a new F1 game in the States. It's been too long!!

I sincerely hope that SCEA will continue this franchise in the US as I know it has continued in the rest of the world. Hell, I bought a PS3 for this game (just like I bought an original Playstation for the first F1 game from Psygnosis) :sly:

One more bad thing: The instruction manual with this game is a joke! It doesn't explain what "Live Dynamics" is. The default controller settings don't even allow you to access it. I just happened to be browsing the controller settings when I noticed setting B had "Live Dynamics" on the L3 stick.

Which brings me to one more good thing, actually a great thing: You ever notice when F1 drivers adjust those knobs on their steering wheels while they're driving? That's what Live Dynamics is. When it's safe to do so, just toggle the settings for braking and traction without ever letting off the gas! So if it starts raining or tires are getting worn down, you can adjust accordingly.

One more bad thing: The instruction manual with this game is a joke! It doesn't explain what "Live Dynamics" is. The default controller settings don't even allow you to access it. I just happened to be browsing the controller settings when I noticed setting B had "Live Dynamics" on the L3 stick.

Which brings me to one more good thing, actually a great thing: You ever notice when F1 drivers adjust those knobs on their steering wheels while they're driving? That's what Live Dynamics is. When it's safe to do so, just toggle the settings for braking and traction without ever letting off the gas! So if it starts raining or tires are getting worn down, you can adjust accordingly.

great find, I'll have to try it tonight. 👍

I've played it for a few hours so far. Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first. The few replays I've see don't even come close to GT4 quality. The overall presentation is pretty boring. The pit area is poorly rendered. The AI is just a little smarter than GT4. So far I haven't been able to replay any of my sessions. I haven't been able to adjust the rev limiter.

Now the good stuff. This game is all about the driving. The sound is incredible! The graphics (while driving) are about as good as anything I've ever seen and the sense of speed is right on, especially with the in-car cams. I just about wet myself when I saw the graphics during my Time Trial at Indy. Simply stunning! The tracks get dirtier as races go on. The physic seem right to me and the major aspects of the car's performance are widely adjustable, such as traction control, brake bias, front and rear downforce, gearing, and fuel level. There is also a great selection of driving views.

So far I'm very pleased. There's still a lot more I have yet to discover though. I haven't gone online with it yet.

I'm pretty sure you MUST have ment GT: HD's replays, becuase even at it's worst, this game blows GT4 out of the water, visually.

:embarrassed: I have to agree, the owner's manual is a joke. I tried the career last night and after 2 hours of testing, qualifying, and dynamic car setups I was finally ready for my first actual race. With the engines revving, the my thumb itchy on the throttle, the light turned green and the race was off as all the cars dart for the first turn, where I proceeded to plow into the back of them... Race over. I shut it off and went to bed. :lol:

Like I said, I'll have to give it a go tonight. I find that the analog is a little too sensitive where a wheel would be much better for this game I think.

Hey, barry....nice avatar! ;)

Let's hook up and do some racing some time. You can find me plowing into the back of cars by the name of GTP-Pako.

:embarrassed: I have to agree, the owner's manual is a joke. I tried the career last night and after 2 hours of testing, qualifying, and dynamic car setups I was finally ready for my first actual race. With the engines revving, the my thumb itchy on the throttle, the light turned green and the race was off as all the cars dart for the first turn, where I proceeded to plow into the back of them... Race over. I shut it off and went to bed. :lol:

Like I said, I'll have to give it a go tonight. I find that the analog is a little too sensitive where a wheel would be much better for this game I think.

Hey, barry....nice avatar! ;)

Let's hook up and do some racing some time. You can find me plowing into the back of cars by the name of GTP-Pako.

hey Pako, I have not been on here much lately (read couple of years, probably), but intend on being more involved. Although its tough with two young kids with school, sports, etc...
Anyway, yes it is a kick-@$$ 'tar I must admit!!

I will try to find you tonight as I plan to do some more F1 racing tonight... although I don't have a headset yet, and don't really know what to buy in that department. :confused:
Later, man.

hey Pako, I have not been on here much lately (read couple of years, probably), but intend on being more involved. Although its tough with two young kids with school, sports, etc...
Anyway, yes it is a kick-@$$ 'tar I must admit!!

I will try to find you tonight as I plan to do some more F1 racing tonight... although I don't have a headset yet, and don't really know what to buy in that department. :confused:
Later, man.

I totally understand the time thing for sure. With a 2.5 year old, a 14 year old, a 21 year nephew with my wife, the full time job, the band, the studio, and other life commitments, it's amazing that we have time to eat, let along game. Personally I think I need to tell work that I will only come in 20 hours per week and require the same pay. That would really solve my time issues.... :)

I got your PSN-ID and will add you to the list and keep an eye out for when your playing some F1. 👍

Peace

I'm pretty sure you MUST have ment GT: HD's replays, becuase even at it's worst, this game blows GT4 out of the water, visually.

You've GOT to be kidding me. I'm talking specifically about the REPLAY videos. They're hideous! Not the in-game graphics while your driving. The in-game graphics are nearly flawless.

hideous yet flawless...no room for gray there. I guess we are lucky that its only a demo. :rolleyes:

Back