◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
so......by that logic you could say online racing is a sport, but something that takes actual athletic ability and is relatively dangerous is not a sport?

I wouldn't call anything online a real sport, per se. It is a simulation of one.

I was thinking of competition not sport when I replied earlier. So yes, rock climbing is a sport, an athletic pursuit, and by my personal definition, it could be competitive. Heck, bocce qualifies. Does not mean it will have a cable PPV event soon, but...

So you need people watching you do something to make it important or life changing? I don't think so.

The confidence you can build in yourself by, making the perfect pass or deciding not to attempt the imperfect pass, can be as life changing or impactful as any of the examples you gave. And only you and perhaps a handful of your competitors will ever see it.
I'm saying that I don't think virtual weekly racing is anywhere near as pressure filled as performing in a large scale event in front of thousands of people.

You guys are both right. There most certainly is pressure involved in online racing. And it can be very important to those that do it, especially those who make it their primary hobby (like many of us). But I don't think it's fair to put it at the same level as competing in a world class sporting event.

The difference is this: Any pressure you feel in a hobby like online racing is put there by yourself. No one is counting on you persay. That's not to say it's not important, but it is only important because you decide it is. If you are a college or professional athlete, then there is pressure to perform (aka, do your job) from coaches, teammates, fans, ect. And in fact, in order to be successful, you must learn to tune out some of that pressure when it becomes counterproductive.

So you need people watching you do something to make it important or life changing? I don't think so.

The confidence you can build in yourself by, making the perfect pass or deciding not to attempt the imperfect pass, can be as life changing or impactful as any of the examples you gave. And only you and perhaps a handful of your competitors will ever see it.
I'm saying exactly what I said before. Making a pass while seated on your coach with your cat watching is not even remotely the same as doing the same thing in a real car in front of millions.

Is it fun? Sure. Do you have feel-good experiences and memories? Sure. But which moment will you silently reflect over year after year as that BIG moment that changed your outlook? If you say a regular Sunday night race then...well...I dunno what to say.

Now, if all of the Sunday night racers were in the middle of a huge packed stadium of people who paid to get in and watch you and the race was up on the big screen...and this was the world GT6 simulation championship run once a year. Then that race win or crash would in fact be something you might reflect on years later.

See the difference?

Idk Joe. I see your side of this debate, but I look at out like this. Just like in a football game, or hockey, or whatever sport, competition, etc, it's ask about what you put in and take out. Sports is hardly (probably the lamest IMHO) the only catalyst for something life changing. I've competed in sports, I've competed in spelling comps, eating comps, real auto racing (scca soloII), I've hung from helicopters like a dope on a rope, scaled 100 foot log ladders with 6 feet between "steps" and more. A whole lot of stuffthat I wouldn't say is sad. I can honestly say that I fit as god of an adrenaline rush on a good Sunday night as I have doing those. For something to be great, stressful, invigorating, anything like that, it doesn't have to be life changing. Some of my most memorable moments sure weren't. Nor was every race, or even every sunday, memorable. That don't mean that none were either. like I said, it's up to you what you put in and take out. The biggest difference between someone who does this as a hobby as opposed to sonatine who does this as a career? The amount of work they put in every day. Anything else (coaches, sponsor responsibilities yada) are all outside stresses that shouldn't be measured, as each individual will handle them different, and fans and a crowd go out the window when the ball is hiked or the green flag drops. Further, those Sunday's I've raced, they are generally pretty surious nights. People are fairly serious on a SUnday night. Far less jovial chat and joking about goin on on a Sunday than any other time. I know for a fact that there are at least three SNAILs that don't race because of that fact. Quite a few people practice and prep for league night, and take it quite seriously.

Last edited:
Now, if all of the Sunday night racers were in the middle of a huge packed stadium of people who paid to get in and watch you and the race was up on the big screen...and this was the world GT6 simulation championship run once a year. Then that race win or crash would in fact be something you might reflect on years later.

See the difference?

Pressure is your reaction to a situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

It is not wholly dependent on how many people are watching or not watching you.

See my point?

See my point?
I see it. Like I remarked, crowds, the coach, sponsorship obligations, these stresses are all outside influences, and as such, the stresses felt vary greatly from person to person. It's not the same as doing a 5K at full stride. Or going through a grueling training session, where everyone is worn and feeling the strain and stress on the body/mind.
When you push yourself to the limit, regardless of activity, that is a quantifiable, across the board "stress." contracts and crowds are up to interpretation.

Last edited:
You guys seem to think the SEC won the BCS? It looks like the ACC team won the title.

Why the crybaby reaction to the outcome? The better team came back under pressure and won when it counted.

I'm not a huge College sports fan but no matter what the sport I always appreciate the tremendous effort put forth by people in high pressure situations.

Being a sports photographer it is amazing to watch people make incredible plays under incredible circumstances. Sometimes I get teary eyed when some kid pulls an amazing diving catch out at 3rd base and pops up to throw them out at 1st. Or a batter pulls his team to a win with a 3/2 count and two outs in the final at bat. Plays like that can make or break your psyche and affect the rest of your life as a youth. My 8yr old son had a moment like that last year in a game while pitching and it just made his dear old dad proud :)

You need to read my posts again. I can't stand the SEC (or the Big 10 and MAC) and I'm quite happy that Auburn lost. I was also quite happy when Alabama lost to Oklahoma. I was happy years ago when Utah beat Alabama in a bowl game. Now that the BcS era is over, college football fans will have to deal with the new playoff system. Guess who the chairman of that committee is. Arkansas (SEC school) athletic director. We won't see any bias for the SEC there, will we?

You need to read my posts again. I can't stand the SEC (or the Big 10 and MAC) and I'm quite happy that Auburn lost. I was also quite happy when Alabama lost to Oklahoma. I was happy years ago when Utah beat Alabama in a bowl game. Now that the BcS era is over, college football fans will have to deal with the new playoff system. Guess who the chairman of that committee is. Arkansas (SEC school) athletic director. We won't see any bias for the SEC there, will we?
Hahahaha, no bias.......
Wait, why hate the B1G? MSU did AWESOME this year!

Hahahaha, no bias.......
Wait, why hate the B1G? MSU did AWESOME this year!

The Big10 gets the same advantage as the SEC but to a lesser extent. The media loves these two conferences and the MAC gets the spillover love. Michigan state did have a good year but they were fortunate that they drew Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Michigan St. would not have had the team speed to hang with Oregon or UCLA. The main source of my dislike for the Big10 is Ohio St. and Michigan. How many times has Michigan been ranked in the top 25 the last few years and how many times have they deserved to be there? You can also file Notre Dame in with this group. Don't even get me started on the MAC and the love affair with N. Illinois and their overrated QB Jordan Lynch.

Next years format will be a joke. Condoleezza Rice...wtf.

Have you ever listened to the woman talk about football. She is probably more knowledgable about ALL the teams in the country than half of the Southeastern and Midwestern writers that vote in the polls now.

See my point?
I'm saying the grander the stage the higher the pressure. If you think you would feel the same pressure with millions standing there watching you as you would in your living room...balls of steel my friend...balls of steel.

Look the original reason this started was Oshawa commented that any Sunday night racing was "like" (or similar to) the situation the athletes faced in the BCS championship game. I disagreed with a smiley face.

It's all good. If you guys think that the pressure of a regular Sunday night race in your man cave is the same as what someone would feel doing the same thing in front of millions in a championship situation...then I wholeheartedly disagree.

Next years format will be a joke. Condoleezza Rice...wtf.

The BCS is a joke every college sport has a playoff system or tourney except for Div1 FBS which is a FuK!N joke. So before you call it a joke or a whatever look up the facts bro. D1 FBS was a joke until they came with this playoff system.

The BCS is a joke every college sport has a playoff system or tourney except for Div1 FBS which is a FuK!N joke. So before you call it a joke or a whatever look up the facts bro. D1 FBS was a joke until they came with this playoff system.

True. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that everyone who thinks the "playoff system" isn't just a huge money grab, then they need to open their eyes.

Have you ever listened to the woman talk about football. She is probably more knowledgable about ALL the teams in the country than half of the Southeastern and Midwestern writers that vote in the polls now.

I'm a big fan of football, so is my grandpa. Hell we even know a lot about football. Doesn't mean we, or HER for that matter, have any place deciding the playoff seedings.

Only way to settle this is have a playoff including all conference champions. Don't win your conference? You don't get to play for the NC.

True. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that everyone who thinks the "playoff system" isn't just a huge money grab, then they need to open their eyes.

Thats true bro until every Conf Champion gets invite ti the playoofs it true only big names will make money bro which sucks true that

I'm a big fan of football, so is my grandpa. Hell we even know a lot about football. Doesn't mean we, or HER for that matter, have any place deciding the playoff seedings.

Only way to settle this is have a playoff including all conference champions. Don't win your conference? You don't get to play for the NC.

As an aside, to show you how wimpy people in Florida are regarding weather...

We got an email yesterday and today canceling the soccer practices of my son's league due to "cold weather and wind chill".

The low yesterday at practice time was 48 and low tonight at practice is forecast to be 40.

C'mon guys, I used to play in two foot deep snow as a kid for hours and loved it.

Even with the playoff, it will still be a joke because of the selection committee getting to pick the teams. If they want to make it legit, you should have to win something on the field to get into the playoff. There are 10 conferences in the FBS level of college football. The following already play a conference championship game: ACC, Big10, SEC, Pac 12, MAC, MWC, CUSA. The winners of those 7 conferences should get automatic bids to a playoff. The other three conferences are the AAC, Big12, and the Sun Belt. They don't play a conference championship game but they do play every other team in their conference each year so it's determined on the filed for the most part. Take those three winners and add them to the other seven and you have 10 teams. There are 7 independent programs in FBS. Take the team from that group with the best record as long as they have at least 10 wins. If no independent has 10 wins, see the next group.

With 10 or 11 teams automatically qualified, we need to fill out our bracket. This is where the selection committee would come into play. The committee would select the 5 or 6 at large teams to fill a 16 team bracket and seed the teams from 1 to 16 for tournament play.

This would officially be a 16 team playoff but the reality of it would be that the 16 in the playoff and the other 7 that played in a conference championship game would have the ability to play for a national championship just by winning games on the field with no media bias or BS in their way.

I'm saying the grander the stage the higher the pressure. If you think you would feel the same pressure with millions standing there watching you as you would in your living room...balls of steel my friend...balls of steel.

Look the original reason this started was Oshawa commented that any Sunday night racing was "like" (or similar to) the situation the athletes faced in the BCS championship game. I disagreed with a smiley face.

It's all good. If you guys think that the pressure of a regular Sunday night race in your man cave is the same as what someone would feel doing the same thing in front of millions in a championship situation...then I wholeheartedly disagree.

I didn't say it wasn't, I said it can be. It's the reaction of the person experiencing it that determines how much pressure there is.

Take Michael Jordan, arguably one of the best at rising to the occasion (dealing with his own reactions), and sit him in my man cave and tell him he's racing against 15 other people all of whose experience is potentially in his hands and tell me he won't have adrenalin coursing through his veins ...

I disagree. Figure Skating? Gymnastics? That's a performance, and sure it's athletic, but I would argue it's not a sport.

If you win by something you can measure (minutes or seconds, feet, yards, points, runs, etc), and not strictly on a judge's numerical interpretation of the aesthetics of your work, then I'm closer to calling it a sport.

When do we usually find out what the next combo will be?

Usually in the next few hours, sometime today, likely.

I agree with this. I would include drifting in there also. It's all based on a judge's numerical interpretation rather than a clear race to the finish or against a clock.

Yes, figure skating and gymnastics require athletic ability, but so does the lumberjack competitions but is that a sport. Oh and it's dangerous as well. Being dangerous doesn't equal being a sport.

To whom it may concern:

I have sent SFCJoeMe a message on psn regarding the racing on sunday D6. Since he has everyone it seems like perplexed to who he is. Told him to come to the forums and make his presence known.

I'm not complaining here but this guy was way faster than anybody in the division 6 and he made his way to the 1st place in a ''bumpy'' way, i've seen i'm pass people in really thight spot we're bumping have or could have happened, as i said i'm not complaining cause i didn't see any crash, but having that much of a advantage he could have made is way to the front more ''smoothly''

I'm not complaining here but this guy was way faster than anybody in the division 6 and he made his way to the 1st place in a ''bumpy'' way, i've seen i'm pass people in really thight spot we're bumping have or could have happened, as i said i'm not complaining cause i didn't see any crash, but having that much of a advantage he could have made is way to the front more ''smoothly''

He shouldn't have been racing at all Sunday night. KCheeb mentioned it a few posts back. He didn't run a time trial and wasn't placed in a division. I'm going to assume he wasn't on the official driver list either which means the division director should have caught it and got him out of the room.

With all the last minute shuffling, it's just another reason to create a deadline for new members to apply to be able to race on Sunday. I suggested something here that could work:
At the risk of starting another heated debate. A possible deadline for new applications to be able to race on Sunday night. Something as simple as you must make your initial post and complete all entry requirements at least 48 hours before the Sunday night race in order to be placed in a division. If you apply or complete the requirements in the last 48 hours, you will be placed the following week. It might help reduce the last minute workload and division expansion/change we have seen recently.

See my point?

Like making a hole in one? The gallery size matters to some folks, but just getting the ball in the cup, and something may go up on the wall of the man cave regardless of how many others watch it (hopefully at least one).

I am just as proud of some of my shooting scores when I am the only one at the range as I am if I win my class at a Regional match.

Edit - just saw your post JoeW

Yes, I felt more pressure to perform in front of cameras or a crowd, that is true.

I was talking reflecting on the accomplishment afterwards, I think you were discussing the moment of achievement. My apologies, if that is accurate.

I'm in shock as I learned that the Subbie combo was voted off! I've been in SNAIL for 18 months now and that second Subbie race was probably the best race I ever did since I joined this community.
I started in 9th and pulled everything the car had to offer and one by one I passed every single racer till I started smelling AG's exhaust's pipes. Then was a matter of a couple of corners until get in P1. Oh boy... for sure my most consistent and well done piece of driving ever.

I'm with bowler, there should be a deadline (wasn't there one before? Like Saturday before the race?). I think out should be in the Friday, COB, before that Sundays race. This gives 48 hours to make sure the newb, cheeb and the division director are all on the same page.

Same thing happens to me Schmiggz.

Often, if I really like a combo, it seems like it is one'n done. Fortunately, this is usually true of combos I loathe.

Even better, some combos I adore (Lotus...) hang around for a good bit.

The steady change is what keeps me here, after the company and competition, I think.

+1 with Rally, @kcheeb can set whatever time works for him, or the new member/divisional assignment guy, if that ever exists.

Man, speaking of combos hanging, that G4 combo and just the car! was awesome!
As an aside, to show you how wimpy people in Florida are regarding weather...

We got an email yesterday and today canceling the soccer practices of my son's league due to "cold weather and wind chill".

The low yesterday at practice time was 48 and low tonight at practice is forecast to be 40.

C'mon guys, I used to play in two foot deep snow as a kid for hours and loved it.
Really? it took 3 feet of snow and temps in the negatives to close anything here. It's currently -10° with a windchill near -30°f and everything is opened back up. Of course, to be fair, in El Paso, if snow is even mentioned, the whole city gets shut down. You Floridians aren't equiped to deal with the cold and snow like us Michiganders.

Back