◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,790 comments
All this talk about champion of champions made me think of an idea I've been rolling around in my head.

A mixed vehicle, mixed division race series.
Some of these touring cars belong on the track together but they pose obvious advantages and disadvantages. What if we figured out 4 cars that could race together, then assigned the cars to division drivers based on performance.

D1: 4 drivers in the slowest car
D2: 4 drivers in the next slowest car
D3: 4 drivers in the next slowest car
D4: 4 drivers in the fastest car

Then repeat for D5-D8.

Each division picks their 4 best competitors (or the 4 that are interested in racing on whatever night we pick). Points are awarded based on overall driver standings as well as team/division points. All cars stock, not tuned to start. Races will be longer to allow for pit stop strategy (especially if mixed drivetrains are used). Expert drivers will essentially be handicapped with vehicles that can't draft pass. They'll have to wait for other drivers to make mistakes. Meanwhile Intermediate/Novice drivers can relax and enjoy the race at a more casual pace.

Any interest? If so I'll start researching lap times with various vehicles. I participated in a few similar series in GT5 and being handicapped is a blast. You've got to be on your game and patient knowing any reckless pass probably won't allow you to pull away. Your competitors have the capability to catch back up and go right past you. Off track mistakes will set you back, but if your car is quicker you can make up time and still have a respectable finish.

Anyone with a gap larger than 60 seconds should be put in as 0:60.000

Really? If says a gap, regardless of the time, I enter it. If they are more than 1 lap down, they likely didn't finish, therefore you wouldn't enter a gap time.

EDIT:

This is my 2nd top page today. I guess I'm a) posting too much and b) there are a lot of posts today.

Really? If says a gap, regardless of the time, I enter it. If they are more than 1 lap down, they likely didn't finish, therefore you wouldn't enter a gap time.

EDIT:

This is my 2nd top page today. I guess I'm a) posting too much and b) there are a lot of posts today.

The training video I watched when I first started doing data stated to do it that way. So I have been.

I also tried to enter +1 or DNF when I first started entering the data in a few months ago and someone then deleted that from the results sheet, so I had assumed it was just to be left blank.

I'm not sure if kcheeb has adjusted the formulas or not since I first started doing data, but, at that time entering anything over that 0:60.000 made the finishing time for each driver do strange things. He may have changed the formula since then.

I'm not sure if kcheeb has adjusted the formulas or not since I first started doing data, but, at that time entering anything over that 0:60.000 made the finishing time for each driver do strange things. He may have changed the formula since then.

I have always entered 99.999 for all lapped drivers. The formulas seem to be okay with that number...

I cant believe i fell for it. lol nice cmbeal
*Major Announcement - Please Read*

I was hoping to get a top of the page, but hopefully this announcement will not go unnoticed.

It is with great sadness that I, as of today, will be retiring from racing with S.N.A.I.L. Over the two years and a few months, I have met and raced alongside many great people. The joy I got racing here, has spurred me on in the creation of my own series under the S.N.A.I.L. banner, which has had a great run and will surely be missed by all those who have taken part in the many races over the near 2 years since we started. I want to thank everyone for all the great times I've had, and maybe someday I'll be back. For now I've decided to move on to create a new league that will hopefully rival S.N.A.I.L. Racing, the new league will be called E.S.C.A.R.G.O.T. [Spec] Racing.

If anyone is interested in joining me as charter members of the new league, please follow the link below for all the information you'll need to join.

E.S.C.A.R.G.O.T. [Spec] Racing

Last edited:

For over 60.000, I just enter it as minutes:seconds.tenthshundredsthousands, so 1:20.222. Works fine for me.

D3 data has been entered to the Results Doc for 3/30/14

Pole Lap Honors:
Round 1 (Integra @ Deep Forest): @racefan78 1:15.839
Round 2 (M3 CSL @ Apricot Hill): @racefan78 1:28.371
Round 3 (Megane Trophy @ Spa): @Troggy 2:26.133

Fast Lap honors:
Round 1 Race 1 : @Wolfsatz 1:18.424
Round 1 Race 2 : @JLBowler 1:18.655

Round 2 Race 1 : @racefan78 1:28.440
Round 2 Race 2 : @LeoStrop 1:28.629

Round 3 Race 1 : @LeoStrop 2:26.131
Round 3 Race 2 : @JLBowler 2:26.683

Total Times/Wins:
Round 1 Race 1 : @racefan78 10:39.763
Round 1 Race 2 : @JLBowler 10:45.137

Round 2 Race 1 : @racefan78 10:28.571
Round 2 Race 2 : @dabneyd 10:33.255

Round 3 Race 1 : @Xradkins 9:49.972
Round 3 Race 2 : @Wolfsatz 9:57.968

It was a fun night in D3! Not as tight as last week but still a great time as always. It was particularly a dominating night for @racefan78, with 2x pole positions, 1x fast lap, and 2x wins for the night! @JLBowler also had a great night with 2x fast laps and 1x win. @Xradkins and @Troggy were able to slide in between @racefan78 and @JLBowler in the unofficial results despite having no fastest laps, 1x win (@Xradkins) and 1x pole position (@Troggy) between them, which goes to show you that consistency really matters!

Thanks to @nmcp1 for the nice layout! And thanks to @Dragonwhisky for entering fast laps for Round 1 Race 2!

I don't think that pole time for round 1 is right. I was in the 1:18s.

Edit: But still, some cool data. Great racing with you all!

I don't think that pole time for round 1 is right. I was in the 1:18s.

Edit: But still, some cool data. Great racing with you all!
Then it's all the scorekeeper's fault, I blame @Troggy! :D

I'll check my screenshots of qualifying when I get home from work.

Probably was 1:18.839 or something and someone hit 5 instead of 8 on the keypad.

I wanted to highlight to everyone that to me it is incredible the pace that some of the lower divisions have; not only from the 'fast lap' times but in general as I have practiced with many of D4,5,6,7 racers.

It is awesome to see that the fastest lap time from D2 to D7 at Round 1 was less than 1.5 seconds. Round to less than 2.5 seconds and Round 3 was barely over 3 seconds.

Which brings me another idea. How about a 'Championship of Champions' where the champions of all Divisions get to battle it out for bragging rights, shells?

• The best 2 winners by points of each Division get to fill 16 slots on the grid.
  • May be lower as we may need to allocate at least 1 spot for the westies.
  • To Add to Oshawa.. yes my idea is to do it Monthly.
Shame there is no room for the West Coast:( cool ideathough!

Last edited:
Then it's all the scorekeeper's fault, I blame @Troggy! :D

I'll check my screenshots of qualifying when I get home from work.

Probably was 1:18.839 or something and someone hit 5 instead of 8 on the keypad.

Makes sense. I wish I could take credit for a lap that quick though! :lol:

Thank you @CarCzar, in statement two do you mean that the game is programmed to only see (or process) 360 degrees even if the wheel can turn 900 degrees? And if this is the case, it divides 360 degress by the physical rotation of a wheel. (e.g. 360/900 = .4 degrees) So every one degree of turn on the wheel is only .4 degrees of turn in the game (which makes the wheel more precise? (Is it 360 degrees total or 360 degrees in either direction in the game)

And/or are you saying that after 360 physical degrees of rotation of a wheel (180 in either direction) nothing more is happening to the wheels of the car in the game?

Or are you saying that the sensitivity setting only changes how rapidly the game thinks you are turning (not how far).

This brings up another question. Do all the cars in GT6 have the same turning ratio to your input, or is it different for different cars?

I'll only quote a bit of what you said, because I think I can sum it up quickly. To the best of my understanding, the game processes the full 900 deg. of the wheel's rotation, however the steering columns of the cars only seem to go to roughly 360 degrees. A great way to test this is to park the car and turn your wheel 180 deg. upside-down. Note how much the car turns when you give it just a little throttle.

Now, turn the wheel past that 180 deg, all the way to the lock. The car will not turn any sharper. I do not know specifics as to how the game is coded, however this seems to mirror real-life racing steering columns quite accurately. In a series like Formula 1, drivers never turn the wheel more than 180 deg, even though the wheel turns much, much farther.

As far as sensitivity and speed of steering, think of sensitivity as a derivative of steering angle. From my testing on a DS3, it doesn't change how far you can turn, it just changes the rate at which you can turn, with 7 being the highest speed of input change.

I can't answer your last question, I did a bit of testing, though. A Honda EK Civic seems to actually be able to gain more turning angle past 180 deg. to each side. Granted the wheels start spinning like a mother, but an LMP car like the 787B doesn't seem to do this.

Sorry for my ramblings.

This whole race champions had me thinking, why not do a best of the division tournament, each division picks it's best two racers, 8 for 1-4 and 8 from 5- WC, now the whole concept is team based, so let's say div 1-4 is team A and 5-WC is team B. Each position is worth points and based on that the team score gets calculated, the team with the highest collective score wins the round. We run this on whatever day we pick and the car and track gets voted by the previous week winning team. It will promote good race craft, because you have to work as a team and learn do drive defensively, as well as aggressively, because you want the best finishing position for your team. Points will be deducted for bad race craft, I don't know I think it would be fun and enjoyable and will give people a chance to learn from faster drivers.

@VrapPlus I think it would be a pretty cool idea! Maybe pair up Div.1 with a Div.8 and Div.2 with a Div.7 and so on and so forth... that way things would be pretty even between everyone
Yeah! That would be awesome! That way the div 1 guys would help coach the div 8 guys and in the end we all end up being better drivers.

So like Team A would be div 1-2-7-8 team B would be 3-4-5-6, and the west coast guys would fill in whatever division they would fit in based on their times. We could even break it down further, div 1-8 team A total of 4 racers, rotating each week, so everyone gets a chance to race, team B would be div 2-7 total of 4 same rules as team A, purpose would be for the faster guys to coach their slower teammates, thus it doesn't matter if you're an snailien, if your team gets out performed you won't win, and at the end of the day whoever puts the most effort in bettering their counterparts will put in the best performance, and you never know you might see those team mates in your own division down the road!

Last edited:
I am preparing a much bigger post about SRoC but what if we took the top two finishers from each division at the end of the championship and then two random participants from each division to give everyone a chance to run. That would give you 36 racers. Run four group of 9 on one combo (qualifier, froward, reverse grid). Take the top 6 from each group. The second round would be two groups of 12 and again run one combo. Take the top 7 from each group and run one final combo with 14 racers. This leaves spots for two officials/stewards to monitor the event.

I would suggest that the combos be randomly selected 1 hour before the event from a list of 5-6 of the most used combos in snail. That way no real practice would be allowed.

I reckon this would take about 2-2.5 hours to run.

Combo a testing room is open all are welcome just bring an open mind

1472-6399-9009-5385-1560

If you can or want I will be testing the following cars to start.

Brz gt300 base model
13 Chevy corvette stingray
Mini cooper s 11
Mazda roadster touring car
Datzun 240z
Abarth 500 09

Combo a testing room is open all are welcome just bring an open mind

1472-6399-9009-5385-1560

If you can or want I will be testing the following cars to start.

Brz gt300 base model
13 Chevy corvette stingray
Mini cooper s 11
Mazda roadster touring car
Datzun 240z
Abarth 500 09
We have already raced the vette and Mazda. Just saying;)

Back