◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,417 comments
Drivetrain challenge tomorrow. Extremely great racing and race craft, choose your own cars AANND we actually have fun and talk...some of us actually drink a beer while driving...shhhh, it's a secret though.

Vodka my good sir and a good Cuban cigar :D.

It was my first racing night with D8. I must say it was a lot of fun. I managed to cross the finish line three out of the six races! My best lap was the first lap in Combo 3 reverse order. That race I would have come in second last, had I not had a massive spin out that then turned into another spin out as I tried getting back on the road again.... :(

I sill have a ton to learn. Looking forward to next Sunday. Is there any way I can get a orange "slow-moving vehicle" triangle on my cars?

I want to thank the various members that offered advice and tips all this week.

Gr man. Stick with it. May we battle it out in the back some more. :)

Just wondering about people's prefered settings when it comes to wheel turn radius. I've always been on 900. Maybe some "experienced" guys know what settings will be set at the finals. What about actual racecar settings to those that make it all the way ?

Last edited:
Gr man. Stick with it. May we battle it out in the back some more. :)
After my first practice I almost quit because of the give sh@# race craft. I was expecting that like the races that the Race Craft toggle was ALWAYS engaged. Shortly after that a general discussion was held and things calmed down. The advice given above to get into another series was great advice. I am in three. One was my first series GTP_WRS which is top drawer with no nothing allowed as far as bad race craft...but being the junior squirrel I quite often found my self alternately hunkering down in the don't hit me position as the Division one guys used me as a moving chicane and hot lapping. One of the moderators suggest another series to increase my "seat time" so I found
GT Touring Car Series which was a Touring car race series...one entry for the season and a bunch of great guys...low pressure...and lots of lapping....races are either one hour or two sprints. At that time SNAIL and I had not yet met and I understand there is a SNAIL version of this.

What ever you do...keep doing it...the first month can be VERY stressful..but trust me it gets better and culminates when your group sort of races as one..everyone knows everyone and treats each other with respect but races hard like DIV 7 did last night. I was 5th out of 8/9 but was more satisfied because everyone was happy (especially the guys behind me when I fell off twice)....it really is about camaraderie.

Just wondering about people's prefered settings when it comes to wheel turn radius. I've always been on 900. Maybe some "experienced" guys know what settings will be set at the finals. What about actual racecar settings to those that make it all the way ?

I have no idea what the GT academy uses, but I use 670°. It really knocks out the dead space, and has led to much more consistency out of my driving. If you're on DFGT it's really more like 860° tho.

What wheel are you using?

Hopefully they give us the ability to sort by country soon. It would be more interesting to see the top 250+ Americans, not just the world.

I agree to Neo want to get home and race again

Yea, you need to put some work in @goofytyler, since I passed you in the 30 minutes I had to spare before work this morning. :) That is about as much trash talk as you'll get from me.

When I stopped running, I was in the 600's at a 1:03.799... I'll jump on later and see if I can improve, not trying to make GTA seeing as though I run a controller with no wheel experience

sitting with a 1:04.269 after just a few laps at Brands. Lots of time to be had in the first and third corners if I can just put everything together. I'll be seeing you guys in the 1:03.6s soon :P

I made it into the top 1500. Doesnt sound like much but that is good for me
And how do you know where your ranked nationally not global?
735th now 1:03.837! If anyone says snail doesnt teach you to be a cleaner and faster driver, then you tell them to come see me! Lol. Im a whole lot faster than I was last year. Go snail!

Last edited:

The answer is, it depends. Some cars like a faster steering rack, others want a slower one for greater precision. It also comes down to driving style.

For example, at Indy for this past sunday, K1utch immediately went faster when he lowered his steering angle. I went slower when I went lower than 900. During the race, I could see why. His style for that combo was a toss and catch - a rapid, late turn it to swing the rear around and then play with the throttle and opposite lock to hold the ideal line. I was using more trailbraking on corner entry to control rotation. His technique benefited from the lower steering angle since that helps control for rapid corrections.

His technique was ultimately faster, but the racing was very close since there were certain areas of the track my technique/line was a little quicker so with the draft factor we were able to battle back and forth.

At the GTA finals, the wheel settings are set to default, I don't recall if you were allowed to change them, but it is probably frowned upon since it could mess up the next driver using that pod.

Its similar to the whole brake balance discussion for spec racing. Ultimate pace is not impacted much by brake or steering settings, but depending on your driving style, it can be easier or more difficult to achieve a certain level of performance.

The answer is, it depends. Some cars like a faster steering rack, others want a slower one for greater precision. It also comes down to driving style.

For example, at Indy for this past sunday, K1utch immediately went faster when he lowered his steering angle. I went slower when I went lower than 900. During the race, I could see why. His style for that combo was a toss and catch - a rapid, late turn it to swing the rear around and then play with the throttle and opposite lock to hold the ideal line. I was using more trailbraking on corner entry to control rotation. His technique benefited from the lower steering angle since that helps control for rapid corrections.

His technique was ultimately faster, but the racing was very close since there were certain areas of the track my technique/line was a little quicker so with the draft factor we were able to battle back and forth.

At the GTA finals, the wheel settings are set to default, I don't recall if you were allowed to change them, but it is probably frowned upon since it could mess up the next driver using that pod.

Its similar to the whole brake balance discussion for spec racing. Ultimate pace is not impacted much by brake or steering settings, but depending on your driving style, it can be easier or more difficult to achieve a certain level of performance.
I guess as having real life experience, we take the approach that smooth is fast. Of course it also depends on the nature of the car but I don't want to go as far as saying flicking the car is ultimately the quickest technique. And it's soooo inconsistent and dangerous to do in a race lol! @K1utch

Last edited:
Were they able to change/adjust turn radius?

Hear Ya.. I wasn't looking for any kinda snail ruling for radius , very much a personal preference and I realize different race cars probably have different wheel settings in general. just curiosity and awareness for possible finalists (not me :lol:). Thanks , informative response

Back