◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,755 comments
Tokyo with a little bit of laps I'm down to a 1:47.258 I see a 46 something but need more time. The Mini Cooper with just a couple of laps I'm down to a 1:46.892 but I see maybe a 46 flat

GT A round 2 isn't really that hard to get a 1:35 flat, I don't know why I am so slow/ taking so long to get it down there. 1:35.378 at the moment.. =/

Tokyo with a little bit of laps I'm down to a 1:47.258 I see a 46 something but need more time. The Mini Cooper with just a couple of laps I'm down to a 1:46.892 but I see maybe a 46 flat

My Tokyo time around 1:46.6, still don't know what I'm doing, D1 times should be around mid 1:45 or lower.

1:44.9 in the mini last night with potentially .7 - 1.0s or more to find...

I need to get a life.. :banghead: or a girlfriend :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

GT A round 2 isn't really that hard to get a 1:35 flat, I don't know why I am so slow/ taking so long to get it down there. 1:35.378 at the moment.. =/

My Tokyo time around 1:46.6, still don't know what I'm doing, D1 times should be around mid 1:45 or lower.

I need to get a life.. :banghead: or a girlfriend :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Both ? LOL

In Sunday's race we had quite a bit of problem with lag in the D4 races. I would like to make the following suggestions for this Sunday...
1. Set the room up as friends only. Although maybe not adding to lag we had a few visitors drop by and some even left nasty comments.
2. Set the room up as fixed host. I believe a fixed host uses less communication between players.
3. Disable chat completely. Chat uses bandwith, the less bandwith we use the less likely we will run into lag issues

Comments?

You can get a life after you win the playseat!

In Sunday's race we had quite a bit of problem with lag in the D4 races. I would like to make the following suggestions for this Sunday...
1. Set the room up as friends only. Although maybe not adding to lag we had a few visitors drop by and some even left nasty comments.
2. Set the room up as fixed host. I believe a fixed host uses less communication between players.
3. Disable chat completely. Chat uses bandwith, the less bandwith we use the less likely we will run into lag issues

Comments?

1. is a requirement that all hosts should already be doing.
2. will not happen because when using fixed host, if the host gets dc'd, the entire room shuts down
3. is left up to the discretion of the host

If you really want to know who the problem is, have everyone in the division run a speed test and post the results. Chances are, someone in there has a sub-par connection and it's causing issues. I would guess it was one of the drivers that started in D3 two weeks ago when we had lag issues there and now there are lag issues in D4.

D3 data has been entered to the Results Doc for 5/4/14

Pole Lap Honors:
Round 1 (2000GT @ Tokyo): @VrapPlus 2:08.805
Round 2 (2002 Turbo @ Eiger Reverse): @FloydC3 1:18.869
Round 3 (BRZ GT300 @ Grand Valley): @FloydC3 1:55.644

Fast Lap honors:
Round 1 Race 1 : @VrapPlus 2:08.322
Round 1 Race 2 : @VrapPlus 2:09.382

Round 2 Race 1 : @VrapPlus 1:18.972
Round 2 Race 2 : @FloydC3 1:19.103

Round 3 Race 1 : @FloydC3 1:55.277
Round 3 Race 2 : @JoeW 1:55.369

Total Times/Wins:
Round 1 Race 1 : @VrapPlus 10:55.511
Round 1 Race 2 : @JoeW 11:00.278

Round 2 Race 1 : @FloydC3 10:40.309
Round 2 Race 2 : @BTB9195 10:59.924

Round 3 Race 1 : @FloydC3 11:39.026
Round 3 Race 2 : @Dragonwhisky 11:43.875

Interesting night in D3. With the walls of Tokyo and the tunnel at Eiger, plus several new (and fast) faces promoted to D3 that may not be used to having Penalties set to OFF, things got messy at times. Finishing gaps were pretty widely dispersed, with the lowest gap from 1st to last being just under 24 seconds, and the highest gap over 1 minute! That being said, most SNAILS were able to find someone to race with throughout the different combos despite the stretching of the field. Congrats to @VrapPlus for the (unofficial?) win and honorable mention to @FloydC3 that got promoted from D4 and was able to take 2nd for the night.

Thanks to @nmcp1 for the nice layout, and thanks to @Dragonwhisky for entering fast lap data for Round 2 Race 2!

Well I guess I am biased also but that is only because my dad has owned both old and new challenger.

I was born into a Chevrolet family. Between my dad, myself and all of his brothers theres 4 Chevelles, 8 Camaros, 2 Novas, 4 Corvettes, 1 Malibu and 1 Monte Carlo.

Maybe he was just "planting a seed" for many to consider. We raced that combo in GT-5, if memory serves.
(Memory has not been speaking to me lately .... wonder if I have offended it, or something)

Yup. I was just "planting a seed" because I know I am not gonna win a prize in a really long time.

1. is a requirement that all hosts should already be doing.
2. will not happen because when using fixed host, if the host gets dc'd, the entire room shuts down
3. is left up to the discretion of the host

If you really want to know who the problem is, have everyone in the division run a speed test and post the results. Chances are, someone in there has a sub-par connection and it's causing issues. I would guess it was one of the drivers that started in D3 two weeks ago when we had lag issues there and now there are lag issues in D4.

Had problem number 1 a two weeks or so ago in D7 a guy dropped in on our miata combo and started singing to us proudly, very weird songs at that saying were we all going to parish. Wow some people, he eventually left when someone(me) naturally got irritated with him nicely.

In a friends only non fixed host room, if the host is disconnected, can they locate the room again by searching by track?

In a friends only non fixed host room, if the host is disconnected, can they locate the room again by searching by track?

I don't think so. I have a policy update ready to go that addresses that. Just waiting for a top of the page.

Anyone can get a girlfriend. If you can't, then your standards are too high :)

Sort of like shopping for a motorcycle. :lol:
download.jpg

If you want to attract the attention of girls get a Vespa. If you want to impress men get a motorcycle. Trust me when I ride my wife's Vespa I get more attention from the opposite sex than if I was in a $100k exotic car.

From my personal experience (and I believe we're in pretty close divisions so this might be relevant to you), I try a few wild and crazy things the first few laps (get the car upset, get a feel for where the traction will break loose in each turn, shimmy the weight around, etc) then I start marking out braking points, turn in points, and taking note of the minimum speeds that I can maintain in a turn once I get it "right". After that I work on consistency - aka finishing several laps in a row, not only without hitting a cone or leaving the track, but without seriously botching a corner. To do that, I usually have to back off on the aggression a little. I never restart the course at this point because each accident is a lesson. Once I'm consistent, I just keep repeating laps and taking note of where I'm losing time in each corner, slowly trying to shave off time with tiny modifications. Only change one thing at a time - otherwise you won't know what change caused the improvement. Finally, usually somewhere around this point I get into a groove and the time starts falling off. After setting my best time I usually go for several laps more and try to repeat the performance, because natural variations in your "uncontrolled time" (those hundredths that you can't see or are too small to control) will eventually make your time even better, almost randomly. Rinse and repeat a few days a week. I never spend more than 90 minutes on a session unless I'm really taking off chunks of time near the end.

And don't give up on the Academy! You will feel much better knowing you tried hard and failed rather than just gave up! And you'll learn along the way.

Very, very informative @ATLskydiver . Much appreciated! I am saving this in my special racing folder. This is the kind of quality information that upper drivers could really help the rest of us with. I hope to see more of this from other upper drivers! Thank you. GREAT!

Also, I want to thank @VrapPlus. This last Sunday I was feeling very discouraged about my lap times in general, somewhat on Eiger, especially on R246, and just out of the clear blue, @VrapPlus noticed that my lap times where way off pace and when everyone was ready to change tracks, he asked everyone to wait while he took about 4 minutes to watch me and then show me. Being that aware of others and how they are doing can be incredibly uplifting because I was so down that I was starting to feel that it was all getting very impersonal even to the point that I was noticing a new distinct feeling of actual powerlessness. That feeling did not go away until later in the evening when I was surprised to do better than I thought I would in my division, but in some way, just feeling cared for when I was so low, helped me to hang on.

One of the things that I read on a post recently (and another reason that the forum is so great) was people cautioning others to not get burned out on GT Academy. I kind of dismissed this because I knew that I would not do that great and it only applied to the guys at the top who were working so hard to improve by such little amounts of time. Well, I now think that this is one of the reasons that I was so low on Sunday night. I felt it even some the Sunday before. Evidently the burned out concern has to be heeded not only if you are near the top, but, just if you are spending many long hours at it and only being ok (12 hours on some days).

And this is another reason that the division idea is so great. I realized that another reason why I was so low was I was constantly practicing in rooms with top division guys and it was wearing on me. Being able to have some success in your own division with guys at your lap time level is a good thing for lots of different reasons. So, once again, S.N.A.I.L. shows me more good than bad and I am glad that I am here. Thank you @VrapPlus for being a big part of this good.

One minor note; I don't want to be negative, but, you upper division guys, please be gentle with us. It doesn't happen much, but when a faster guy is right behind you and you are getting tapped over and over again, and, sometimes hit harder, it makes you feel (I know, this is going to sound...) like an object, and not a person. Now, I know that there is a time to let someone faster by (and I see it, especially in formal races), but in tight courses with slow cars (and in practice sessons), I feel like if I do well, I do actually have a fair chance at staying ahead of someone, and I at least feel like if they are so fast and good, they have to set up a pass and pass cleanly, this makes me feel like I am a co-race driver. Like I am a race car driver too! If you just act like I am in the way, and especially, when someone might be very low and discouraged, it can really heighten the feeling of it not being worth it anymore and maybe make it harder to fight giving it up. Thanks

Last edited:
One minor note; I don't want to be negative, but, you upper division guys, please be gentle with us. It doesn't happen much, but when a faster guy is right behind you and you are getting tapped and, sometimes, harder, over and over again, it makes you feel (I know, this is going to sound...) like an object, and not a person.
Nicely said. Occasionally (rarely) I have found myself as the offender tapping a slower driver in front of me. I have also been the victim of the same. It does not feel good mentally when someone faster behind you makes soft contact repeatedly. :(

Guys, please excuse my ignorance being a newbie to the online racing. I've read the SNAIL OLR and everything is pretty straight forward. I'm just a bit confused with the penalty thing and ghost cars, is the penalty determined by the program, ie, how hard you happen to hit someone (by accident of course) or if you run off and hit a wall, do you automatically become a ghost car and for how long?
Thanks.

Back