◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,415 comments
imo when i recieve the tap coming out of a corner, it makes me think and try to figure out what i did wrong to not of came out of that turn as fast as him/her. In that aspect, i feel he/she has helped me become aware of that. But i do understand what youre saying.

Guys, please excuse my ignorance being a newbie to the online racing. I've read the SNAIL OLR and everything is pretty straight forward. I'm just a bit confused with the penalty thing and ghost cars, is the penalty determined by the program, ie, how hard you happen to hit someone (by accident of course) or if you run off and hit a wall, do you automatically become a ghost car and for how long?
Thanks.

Penalties are usually only handed out to drivers that use the built-in ghosting feature to their advantage when passing another driver. For example, if you ghost and drive straight through another car instead of around them to make a pass, that's a penalty. If you divebomb, ghost through someone and somehow recover to complete the pass, that's a penalty. If you ghost but no one's position changes and no advantage was gained from the ghost there is no penalty. Carry on.

@zer05ive, @JLBowler
I have made my decision, i know there are a few SNAILS that really want to race this car, myself included. I hope you guys like it as much as i did while testing it. the car we will be racing this week on Tokyo will be the:
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) '14
533 pp
476 hp
sports soft

Nice! I was doing one make races with the C7 last night with some random people and I could tell that my couple weeks with SNAIL has already started to pay off! Thanks SNAIL :)

Not having the best week.

Paid off my car on Friday. Yay.

Saturday, got ECU warning that the camshaft and crankshaft are out of phase, so I'm likely needing to replace the timing chain or tensioner (or sensors). Found service manuals and posts online confirming its DIY ready, just pretty intensive stuff, probably a whole Saturday. I'm relieved that I may get away with < $200 DIY versus what I've read from experiences with shops/dealers ($800-1800) though.

Then, as I'm finishing up the research on that last night, my laptop screen died. Luckily I've been able to find some good references online for that too, and may get another year or two out of the thing without any need for replacement parts (or may need new LCD or LCD connector cable, better than total loss though).

Sigh. Looking forward to my escape (practice tomorrow). :-)

Not having the best week.

Paid off my car on Friday. Yay.

Saturday, got ECU warning that the camshaft and crankshaft are out of phase, so I'm likely needing to replace the timing chain or tensioner (or sensors). Found service manuals and posts online confirming its DIY ready, just pretty intensive stuff, probably a whole Saturday. I'm relieved that I may get away with < $200 DIY versus what I've read from experiences with shops/dealers ($800-1800) though.

Then, as I'm finishing up the research on that last night, my laptop screen died. Luckily I've been able to find some good references online for that too, and may get another year or two out of the thing without any need for replacement parts (or may need new LCD or LCD connector cable, better than total loss though).

Sigh. Looking forward to my escape (practice tomorrow). :-)

Generic diagram:
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/07/08/notebook-display-diagram/

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2009/05/04/how-test-lcd-screen-inverter-in-laptop/

http://www.invertercentral.com/

Have had good luck with these guys and calling them they were very informative:

http://www.screentekinc.com/

Helped me in the past @Rockhound18

Mini Cooper I'm down to a 1:45.156 I believe I can get a high 44 but need more time

Last edited:
I am interested in joining SNAIL
@hognhominy,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Last edited:
After dancing around 1:04.1xx all morning finally hit the 1:03's with a 1:03.811 at brands! Good for 3,846th in the world at the moment.
When are you going to bring that speed to the West Coast Division? ;)

In Sunday's race we had quite a bit of problem with lag in the D4 races. I would like to make the following suggestions for this Sunday...
1. Set the room up as friends only. Although maybe not adding to lag we had a few visitors drop by and some even left nasty comments.
2. Set the room up as fixed host. I believe a fixed host uses less communication between players.
3. Disable chat completely. Chat uses bandwith, the less bandwith we use the less likely we will run into lag issues

Comments?
This should be set for all divisions I hate hearing the chatter while racing. Its true about that chat using bandwith & that's where most of the lag comes from also fixed host & friends only room is best way too

In Sunday's race we had quite a bit of problem with lag in the D4 races. I would like to make the following suggestions for this Sunday...
1. Set the room up as friends only. Although maybe not adding to lag we had a few visitors drop by and some even left nasty comments.
2. Set the room up as fixed host. I believe a fixed host uses less communication between players.
3. Disable chat completely. Chat uses bandwith, the less bandwith we use the less likely we will run into lag issues

Comments?

1. Most hosts are already doing this.
2. No. If the host disconnects, the whole room drops.
3. This should be up to the host, but I'm in favor of leaving it on. It's the fastest way to get information to the whole room and it doesn't take that much bandwidth. I think it's already compressed to 32kbps and even if you had everyone in the room talking at the same time, that's still only 512kbps. Either way, it's not bandwidth that is the issue, it's latency.

This should be set for all divisions I hate hearing the chatter while racing. Its true about that chat using bandwith & that's where most of the lag comes from also fixed host & friends only room is best way too

That's not true at all. Even with chat enabled, GT games use a surprisingly low amount of bandwidth. It's has been a while but someone on GTPlanet had the proper equipment and did the work to show that the game only really requires a little over 1MB up and down for an individual user. With a fixed host, the load was obviously higher on the host. If your internet connection isn't providing enough bandwidth to cover the amount needed for racing and chat, you should upgrade your connection or quit racing.

The problem with online racing is more related to the ping numbers that people get to various parts of the country and the world. You can have all the bandwidth in the world but if it's crawling across the country, it doesn't do any good. It is called lag for a reason and that reason is that your data is lagging due to the time it takes to get from one place to another.

Think of it this way. Player A has a connection of 5 DL and 2.5 UL with a ping of 40ms to a location 3000 miles away and Player B has a connection of 100 DL and 50 UL with a ping of 200ms to a location 3000 miles away. As long as the data load that is required is 1.5 DL and 1.5 UL, guess who is going to have the better experience? It's going to be Player A because his connection has the required bandwidth to move the information and his connection will get the information there five times faster than Player B.

The way the room is structured with every connection talking to every other connection, one sub-par connection will drag down the entire room and will have a more profound effect on any drivers that are in close proximity (in game) to that bad connection.

Nicely said. Occasionally (rarely) I have found myself as the offender tapping a slower driver in front of me. I have also been the victim of the same. It does not feel good mentally when someone faster behind you makes soft contact repeatedly. :(
After all this time racing in this community I know preety well who's undoubtly faster than me and on practice, when I have one of those behind me, I just let him go.
Usually I wait for a long straight or some fast zone, merge a little towards the outside and lift my foot for one second. It's good enough for him to go and I won't lose much speed or momentum.

Just did the speedtest. Here's my results:

Test it to a server in New York, Florida, Southern Texas, Southern California, Nova Scotia. Testing to a local center less than 50 miles away is, for our practical purposes, irrelevant.

Even though late, (my fault, I totally spaced out the primary replay uploader wasn't racing Sunday) the D3 replays are up.

Just did the speedtest. Here's my results:

Run multiple tests to sites that are not close to you, but closer to the people you're racing. Hit LA, Brazil, the southeast US. Also go to pingtest.net and run the test there and test against the same locations as at speedtest.net.

PLEASE don't do fixed room host. if the host disconnect during the race, the whole room go away and you have to start over and if your towards the front when it happens, you are not going to be a happy camper. Its OK for random lobbies or practice sessions but would suck if it happen during the official race night. I was in an endurance race and after 1.5 hours on track, the host dropped and the room was closed. Talk about being pissed.

After all this time racing in this community I know preety well who's undoubtly faster than me and on practice, when I have one of those behind me, I just let him go.
Usually I wait for a long straight or some fast zone, merge a little towards the outside and lift my foot for one second. It's good enough for him to go and I won't lose much speed or momentum.

Thanks @Schmiggz. One of the drivers who was doing this to me, apparently did not want to wait for a straight. It was happening on the esses going up the hill on Eiger. During the straight before the esses he was too far behind me to pass there; maybe due to some other driver holding him up, I don't know. By the time he got close to me we were starting the turn in to the uphill esses, and he hit me hard turning into the first apex. Then he continued to hit me all the way up to the straight beyond the end of the esses. I was so frustrated at that point that I did what I have never done in S.N.A.I.L. I slammed on my brakes, and which point he rear ended me, and then, I was surprised how quickly he turned and went around me... maybe he has practice at out maneuvering this frustrated braking. But he clearly was in no way, shape, or form planning on waiting for a passing opportunity where I could have lifted from my throttle and helped to allow him by. Not complaining, but just want to be clear. Thanks again. I don't know if you caught my first post or you just read @intoflatlines response.

I gather that you fast drivers do have a general complaint about less experienced or maybe even less considerate drivers who have slower lap times not letting you by, and I can understand your perspective and feelings about this, but imo this and a few other situations I have recently been involved in did not fall into this general category, and I hope that it can be seen that sometimes it does not just boil down to this general dissatisfaction.

lol, I just realized that if I let those who are clearly faster than me, by, that would be almost everyone, I'd be constantly letting off the throttle, and I might not have much time in practice rooms to race or push the racing line. Might not make much of a practice for me.

There are some very fast drivers who, when they are approaching me, I get a sense of well-being because they have been very careful in the past to obviously set up the pass and be very careful as they are going by to (always amazing to me) not hit me or even touch me. @CarCzar, @martin20az, @msgt-sd, and @VrapPlus come to mind (and others who deserve credit). I actually get a heightened sense of respect when they go by, if that is possible. I'll just say, it feels good being on the track with them. They wow me and honor me at the same time.

Last edited:
Back