◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,783 comments
With Mt Panorama coming up I want to share another step that people can take to reduce problems for themselves.

Rebuild your database and restore your file system. Bathurst is the most taxing track in the game, and if you run in cockpit mode the you are literally maxing out the PS3's ability. These steps will help with any stability issues you may encounter.

I'm also going to include this for anyone that usually has a stable connection that seems to only fail on race night.
If that sounds like you, read that and call your ISP and demand they do something about it. I would also implore everyone of voting age to send a link of it to the FCC chairman and your congressman/senator, but I guess that is a little off topic.

I'm also going to include this for anyone that usually has a stable connection that seems to only fail on race night.
If that sounds like you, read that and call your ISP and demand they do something about it. I would also implore everyone of voting age to send a link of it to the FCC chairman and your congressman/senator, but I guess that is a little off topic.

Calling your ISP about this will accomplish nothing. Until these ISPs are named by Level3, they all have plausible deniability when it comes to clogging their networks. Put simply, unless there is a financial gain or threat of direct competition, no ISP is going to improve their infrastructure. The best thing that could happen would be the expansion of fiber network installations that can compete directly with the cable companies, be this commercial or municipal installations. Sadly the cable companies are financially supporting laws that prohibit municipalities from installing their own fiber networks. If the cable companies have their way, when it comes to both the expansion of fiber networks and net neutrality, this "Internet Experiment" will be over.

Calling your ISP about this will accomplish nothing. Until these ISPs are named by Level3, they all have plausible deniability when it comes to clogging their networks. Put simply, unless there is a financial gain or threat of direct competition, no ISP is going to improve their infrastructure. The best thing that could happen would be the expansion of fiber network installations that can compete directly with the cable companies, be this commercial or municipal installations. Sadly the cable companies are financially supporting laws that prohibit municipalities from installing their own fiber networks. If the cable companies have their way, when it comes to both the expansion of fiber networks and net neutrality, this "Internet Experiment" will be over.
True, but silence will most assuredly lead no where.

Hello. Someone in an open lobby recommended this site to race. I've read over everything and looks good. I'll give it a try to see if it's for me. I'd like to sign up for the west coast time slot. thanks.
@r0_Tyrant,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:
We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:
1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test
2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.
3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.
4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.
5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍
The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Hey Guys, odd question, but what is it like to actually watch a race in person? For example, I am thinking of going to the Toronto Indy this year. I am looking at Pit Lane seats... but do you only really see a small part of the race?

I love watching Indy racing on TV...

Also, is anyone else thinking of going?

Hey Guys, odd question, but what is it like to actually watch a race in person? For example, I am thinking of going to the Toronto Indy this year. I am looking at Pit Lane seats... but do you only really see a small part of the race?

It's not an odd question at all! Every motorsports enthusiast should attend a live race to experience drama of the noise, smell and sheer raw speed of top class racing.

My wife kindly organised a trip to the Hungarian F1 GP back on 2001 for a milestone birthday of mine and she came along with me. She had absolutely no interest in motor racing but when the first car we saw burst into view and screamed past us it had the most dramatic effect of excitement I've ever seen on a person.

No matter how good the tv coverage is it won't convey that raw excitement.

I will be there....but as part of a Pit Crew :) A friend of mine is racing in one of the pre-races and invited me to be part of his pit crew

The majority of "big" events have large screens all around the track so you still get to see the tv coverage while at the same time experiencing it live. This is good for places like TO and Montreal where you only get to see a small portion of the track. NASCAR is a bit different as you can see alot of the tracks. The "feeling" of the cars going by is incredible, I will never forget standing at the fence at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in '86, it was the last year of the turbos and when the cars went by for the first time it was insane. I attended the inaugural F1 race in Austin and you get to see so much of the track that it was the best place I have been yet for a race. Pick your favorite series and catch it live, you won't be dissapointed! My dad took me to the 1967 Canadian F1 GP at Mosport and that is where I got hooked for life!

Whether you consider yourself a NASCAR fan or not, you must go to at least one race. It is an "experience" like no other form of auto racing. Watch a race or two on TV beforehand so you're up to speed before you sit down amongst die hard fans. Not sure who to root for? Just ask the guy next to you, or in front of you, or behind you. Ask enough people and you may just end up in the middle of a fist fight in the stands as the fans get drunk on cheap beer and throw insults about each other's drivers. Of course things settle down when the race actually begins...because you can't hear a damn thing. If that's not entertaining enough for you, the try going to the race with this T-shirt on.

Whether you consider yourself a NASCAR fan or not, you must go to at least one race. It is an "experience" like no other form of auto racing. Watch a race or two on TV beforehand so you're up to speed before you sit down amongst die hard fans. Not sure who to root for? Just ask the guy next to you, or in front of you, or behind you. Ask enough people and you may just end up in the middle of a fist fight in the stands as the fans get drunk on cheap beer and throw insults about each other's drivers. Of course things settle down when the race actually begins...because you can't hear a damn thing. If that's not entertaining enough for you, the try going to the race with this T-shirt on.

How about the Top Gear episode where they made fun of NASCAR and the good old boys were called in...I saw the episode, Jeremy and boys were really pushing the limits

it now allows you to set a race duration instead of lap length. This combined with the false start option makes endurance racing that more interesting to be honest.

it now allows you to set a race duration instead of lap length. This combined with the false start option makes endurance racing that more interesting to be honest.
So could we switch SNAIL to run 10 minute sprints? How does the timer work, when it goes off all cars get to complete their lap? or when it goes off the race is over?

So could we switch SNAIL to run 10 minute sprints? How does the timer work, when it goes off all cars get to complete their lap? or when it goes off the race is over?

I haven't tried it yet, but yes i understand that is how it works. I found out about it on the SNAIL Endurance forum.

Edit: Sorry your first point, you can finish the lap you are on.

Just thought I'd post some pictures of the new VGT

AutodromoNazionaleMonzaNoChicanes_zps6ed5d601.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonzaNoChicanes_2_zps7ee698e9.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonzaNoChicanes_1_zpsda6ddc90.jpg

Love the look of this car!

@malachi666 gave a pretty good explanation based on what I had said in my thread for endurance racing. To elaborate a little more on that, I tested out a 10 minute race this morning on my own to see how it worked it seems like it would work pretty well for Sunday nights too. You have the normal countdown, then when the race starts you'll see a timer in the top left, underneath your position indicator(#/#), and it works just like the clock in qualifying(turns yellow at 2 min. left).

After the time ran out it let me complete that lap, after which it started a 15 second timer(I imagine it'll be longer if more people are on track, but I'm unsure since I was the only one racing), and it put the the results screen while the timer counted down. Unlike normal racing you can't set the time for the "race finish delay".

I'd like to try it again tonight and maybe some other people would like to join me. I'll probably get on around 10pm ET. I'm already planning on using it in my endurance league, as it's one thing I've been hoping they would add for a long time. If it works out good tonight, I can't see why we couldn't try it here. :)

Back