◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
4th might be giving Soccer too much credit in the USA. Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey all have more exposure on TV and draw larger crowds to live games. I'm pretty sure that NASCAR and Golf grab higher TV ratings the Soccer. Bowling is the number one participation sport in the country. It's easier for me to find an Arena Football game or Major League Lacrosse on cable than it is to find a soccer game.

With all that being said and the lack of emphasis on the sport here, if we every got as upset about losing to the rest of the world in soccer as we did in basketball in the early 90's (think original dream team), there is no doubt we could do some damage on the world stage. As was said above, we have the athletes, they just don't care about soccer.

Live attendance averages
Also 23 mil watched the US play Portugal vs 18 mil that watched the final game of the nba and 19 mil watched the final World Series game;) just saying

Live attendance averages
Also 23 mil watched the US play Portugal vs 18 mil that watched the final game of the nba and 19 mil watched the final World Series game;) just saying

The soccer attendance numbers are a little skewed. Seattle draws very well but every other team is drawing 10 to 15 thousand in a 50k seat venue. That's all well and good. When you look at the NHL and the NBA, those arenas only hold 16 to a little over 20 thousand. Averaging 17k when it means filling the place to 95% capacity or so is a whole lot more impressive than 15k going to a 50k seat stadium. If that soccer game was played in Europe, it would sell out an 80k seat stadium with no problem.

As for the TV ratings, it's the World Cup. Americans love to watch an underdog and we love it even more when we are the underdog. Let's compare apples to apples and put the MLS final up against any of the other four major sports. Put the MLS final up against the Masters. Last years MLS final drew 1.01 million viewers and the is combined between ESPN and Univision. The Masters drew 2.8 million for the opening round on ESPN and that was without Tiger Woods playing.

Is it just me? Or has anyone else got the sudden urge to race a big, heavy car around a track that is perfect for karting?

That pretty much sums up why we can't field a world-class team even though we produce more world-class athletes than any other country in the world.. :indiff:

It would appear that at the height of World Cup interest the US cares less about football than the UK or Italy does on an average day.

soccer_zpse7ae0e78.jpg

Source: Google Trends

Judging by your posts on GTP, you don't care either.

4234 posts since Jul 23, 2011
2 posts referring to the World Cup (Both in the last 2 weeks)
1 post using "Soccer Moms" in a derogatory fashion
1 post referencing fantasy (American)football.
1 post referencing college (American)football and the BCS.

Source "Football"
Source "Soccer"

Please, forgive me for not valuing the elitism that Americans show whenever it becomes popular.
For what it is worth, a .333 average would be pretty good in baseball.

About my Fanatec hardware...

Saturday is the day! My gloves won't arrive until the following Monday, so I don't think the Alcantara won't be all matted down and smelly in 2 days.

My hands don't really sweat when I race (not even during intense action like the old Miata TC @ Tsukuba or last Sunday in the RX-7), but I do want to protect it, and hey, Mechanix Wear gloves. 👍

Hello, i noticed your group in the schedule forum for wednesday and thursday. Thankfully i have those days off of work so i shouldn't have too much trouble engaging in most if not all of your events. I noticed the times are in GMT but im from EST USA, so if you can give me the guidelines to qualify ill grab what ever cars are necessary and start practicing right away.

go6
Hello, i noticed your group in the schedule forum for wednesday and thursday. Thankfully i have those days off of work so i shouldn't have too much trouble engaging in most if not all of your events. I noticed the times are in GMT but im from EST USA, so if you can give me the guidelines to qualify ill grab what ever cars are necessary and start practicing right away.

Check out post #1 for all the relevant information. There is quite a bit there so take your time with it. You'll receive a welcome post shortly as well with more information.

go6

@go6

Here's your official S.N.A.I.L. Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Race of Champions
June Season
July 11, 2014
9:30 pm ET

PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU CAN OR CAN'T ATTEND
Attendance is very tentative since we're 10 days away

Format:

3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Starting position determined by division in reverse order (D8, D7, D6, etc). WC will be placed in appropriate starting position based on ability.
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid

15 drivers + 1 host (@Wolfsatz)

Division 1
1- @Adventuruss (282)
2- @martin20az (260) - B / 4
alt1- @fizzer (257) [eligible via @tezgm99]

Division 2
3- @qwietstorm (253.1) - B / 4
4- @Xradkins (246)
alt6- @Kgffy (231)

Division 3
5- @JLBowler (271)
6- @Dragonwhisky (244) - B / 2
alt3- @Wolfsatz (237.1)

Division 4
7- @gtp_Tenderly (278) - B / 4
8- @Grandpa Money (251) - A / 4
alt4- @TEX36 (235)

Division 5
9- @aliengamer25 (271.1) - B / 4
10- @chatva (252) - A / 5
alt7- @ExoSphere64 (226)

Division 6
11- @KTR5 (255) - A / 3
12- @euclid58 (242) - B / 4
alt5- @hognhominy (235)

Division 7
13- @singlepaddy (252) - B / 2
14- @JCsSoldier (251)
alt2- @SHOCKY_WELL (242.1) [eligible via @fizzer]

West Coast
15- @tezgm99 (89)
alt8- @RodeRuner1967 (87)

Confirmed drivers will be in bold
Scratched drivers will be crossed out

Alternate ranking determined by (Revised due to 7 Divisions + WC):
1- 3rd place (2nd for WC) finishers in order of points scored for the month

COMBO Selection

1- Ferrari F430 '06 at Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s (twice)
--- 519HP / PP 548 / RH tires

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2- Vote for 1 of the following – Both were used twice for the June season

A- Subaru IMPREZA Touring Car at Daytona Road Course (3)
--- 477HP / PP 565 / RH tires

OR

B- Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R '00 at Daytona Road Course (7)
--- 384HP / PP 483 / SM tires

3- Vote for 1 of the following – Each were raced only once in the June season

1. RE Amemiya RX7 GT300 Base Model '06 at Trial Mountain Circuit – Forward (current)
--- 337HP / PP 512 / RH tires

2. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) LM Race Car '09 at Fuji Speedway F (2)
--- 858HP / PP 659 / RM tires

3. Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71 at Cape Ring Periphery (1)
--- 363HP / PP 503 / SM tires

4. Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71 at Silverstone GP Circuit (6)
--- 363HP / PP 503 / SM tires

5. SRT Viper GTS '13 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (1)
--- 671HP / PP 573 / RM tires

To Do:
1- Confirm tentative entry
2- Vote A or B
3- Vote 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5

I will continue update this post. Bookmark it to find it easily.

If I "Like" your post, I have recorded your decision and / or vote.

I am able to race.

Vote.
A.

America doesn't care about soccer, once the world cup is over our minds will go straight to American football.
That's very redundant to say!!! USA has 160something million people. Within that there's a large amount of population that just likes soccer and recently I learned on a TV show that at this very moment, both in Canada and the United States there's way more kids playing soccer than all the other sports combined.
You have to understand that soccer is contagious and its spread all over the world. North America was the last frontier to conquer... Its happening right now.

Last edited:
That's very redundant to say!!! USA has 160something million people. Within that there's a large amount of population that just likes soccer and recently I learned on a TV show that at this very moment, both in Canada and the United States there's way more kids playing soccer than all the other sports combined.
You have to understand that soccer is contagious and its spread all over the world. North America was the last frontier to conquer... Its happening right now.
But like I said once the NFL season starts we will forget about soccer. Let's see how much soccer gets mention during this football season.

k, time trial CHECK, racecraft test CHECK, anything else i need to do to join a wednesday/thursday race?

I heard the subbie moves to the Red Bull track and the RX7 stays. What's the other combo?

It's still to be determined. @aliengamer25 has until 11:59 pm ET tonight to choose. He said he should have a decision by 8:30 tonight. He's choosing from 3 suggestions. Check the previous page for the listing.

I confirm tentatively
Vote 2 and B

Just want to say I did not expect to win the division and would like to give a shout out to @JCsSoldier for keeping it so close (1 point)
I'm sure he will be a worthy replacement if I can't make ROC night.
In fact cheers to everyone in Div 7...great racers all.:cheers:
I don't get off work in time for that event, but thanks! @SHOCKY_WELL would be a good choice too.

I missed this story from Autoblog yesterday. All I can say is WOW. 707 HP is pretty insane for a "street" car. This is intriguing as well; "...the Challenger SRT Hellcat will also come with two key fobs – one red, one black. The former allows the driver to unleash the full 707 hp, while the black key limits its holder to just – just – 500 horsepower..."

It's like you need a launch sequence number to acknowledge your commitment to the full potential.

hellcat.png

The precise figure of the US population is 317,297,938;)

You forgot to mention that the report also said the kids that are playing soccer come for poorer communities. The only reason why soccer is big, now, is because of the World Cup. When it is all over, soccer will fall into the black hole for another 4 years, in the US, mind you. Now that the US is out, the US TV viewing of the World Cup or any soccer match will diminish.

Last edited:
Back