◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,697 comments
D1 has approximately 20 minutes to get their scores entered in the Director's doc of they wish to remain eligible for the weekly prizes.

Promotion and Relegation
Although we split our drivers into separate divisions based on performance and skill level, we realize that our drivers are constantly improving and deserve a chance to climb the ladder of success. That's why we promote and relegate drivers before every season based on the results and data compiled during the previous season. This is also done to ensure that our races are as competitive as possible for all of our league members, top to bottom. Regardless of which division you're in, you will almost always be fighting to gain or defend a position on the track. Simply put, no other Gran Turismo league in the world can offer this much competitive racing to so many different skill levels.

That is taken out of the first post in this thread. Can anyone find anything in there that says every driver is going to have a chance to win every race?

It's not there. It says you will almost always be fighting to gain or defend a position.

Below is my post from earlier today. There is a question at the end of it. I'm going to guess there are some people here who wouldn't be able to answer that question without knowing what their results were in those races.

Fun fact from data for the day.

A driver that was promoted this month was used for the example. I took a race night at random from last month and the first night in the new division and compared gap times at the end of the race.

In one division the total time elapsed between the driver finishing directly ahead of them and directly behind them in all six races was 18 seconds. That's pretty good right? Finishing the race at an average of having a car 1.5 ahead and 1.5 behind in every race. The shortest gap was .1 seconds and the largest was 4.3 seconds.

In the other division the total time elapsed between the driver ahead and behind was 9.9 seconds. If the first division was good, this one must be better as the racing is closer at the end of the race. The closest gap was .1 seconds and the largest was 3.6.

Which division would you rather be in?

Heya @Rallywagon !

Glad to see you're coming back around - you're not a dead horse, are ya, man?
Ahhh, I sure hope not! I actually come with an agenda. I've gotten into doing let's plays with a few friends. We just started a Minecraft series yesterday, first video should be up before the end of the week.
It got me thinking about how awesome cat and mouse is, how much fun the game, and the banter is. I think I want to start a series creating videos playing c&m.

thanks for clearing that up this way theres always going to be people way out of place
everything is cleared up now, thanks for informing me
if i understood this correct, snail dont got enough variety of drivers for "all" their divisions they have

Edit:
sorry for double post

The bell curve thing was also meant to point out that on the tails of the curve (ie top and bottom division) there will be a few outliers. In other words, a few guys in D1 will be insanely fast relative to the main pack, and some guys in the bottom division will be well behind their division pack too (but they could make it up with hard work of course).

The point is more relevant to D1 though I guess. I don't know how big the gaps are and between who/how many, but you can't really put 3-4 people in their own D0 all by themselves if we want relatively full grids.

More importantly, if you finish as "the best of the rest" in your division, isn't that like a win in itself, with the next "win" being keeping up, then the next one being finishing in the midst of those stupid fast guys, and then maybe, just maybe, grabbing the outright win at some point down the line?

Would you really be happier being first in "division x" than "y-th fastest" out of "z drivers" in all of snail? You're times are still the same. In fact they're probably faster when you have the faster drivers to reference....

Can't we just all have fun? :-P I think a few of us are all saying the same thing. Just take a step back and ask why you are here in snail? Fun close racing? Getting better? Or just winning? (I would guess bragging comes next if the last one is included...)

I did once at my first ROC i gunned it at the start when we used the GTR500 at Indy for ROC flew past D7and D8 took the lead for about 3 laps til Neovre caught up with me battled about 4 seconds and that was it I was pretty happy
I think I kept @martin20az behind me for three or four corners during the RoC last Fri at Monza, I was having the hardest time concentrating because I was giggling to myself in excitement because I actually had a D1 guy behind me. Kept to my lines, he got past in short order (very clean) and was gone, that was way cool. Then I watched the replays for a couple of hours after. I love this league.
ps:the only reason I was ahead was because of reverse grid!

Omg...

Someone please tell these guys the difference between a Spec league and a handicap league?

If you want an equal chance of winning...then you want handicap racing.

If you want equally full grids of drivers with talent levels that are deemed as close to yours as can possibly be determined through empirical data...yet all using the exact same vehicles...then you have Snail spec racing.

@Inconspicuous
@Pizzle13

The above is something I wrote not long ago when this was brought up.

You don't seem to grasp one simple thought process. These types of things are like the Bell Curve. There are extreme examples at either end of the divisions. If you are the absolute slowest guy in the league, there is nowhere to be demoted to. If you are the absolute fastest, there is no one to challenge you for supremacy.

The top division probably has 4-5 guys who are the absolute fastest guys. You may be in the top 15 in the league, but not the top 5. This is life. It sounds like you want the top 5 guys to go race by themselves so the rest of you can finally have a chance.

But the fact remains, the top division has room for the 15 best. Not 4 or 5. If you want everyone to have an equal chance at winning then you need to enter a league that handicaps drivers by adding weight or lowering power. A spec league is not the place for you.

Spec racing is no excuses, most talented guys win. You are lucky this a league with enough divisions to even it out as much as they do.

Hahaha, wow. Now I'm definitely being misinterpreted.

Obviously there has to be a range in skill throughout one division otherwise there's no motivation to get better but if you have 3 people all considering themselves as in the way while those that are better are agreeing clearly something is wrong.

Seems safe to say you missed a simple thought process yourself, buddy.

I know in D6 we are pretty spread out with me and JakeDog at the front, at least last night. I realise this is due to my lack of time trail skills and also know I may be moved based on my race ability. I will not let it bother me that I can't keep up when I move up, as I will try to constantly improve. Just look at my signature. It's a quote from the late Dale Earnhardt that I took to heart when I grew up a little.

At this rate, we'll be on to the next page pretty quickly.
Whenever this game starts, I always kinda feel like...

TO THE TOP!!!!
marching-band-major98-4-jpg.jpg

Omg...

Someone please tell these guys the difference between a Spec league and a handicap league?

If you want an equal chance of winning...then you want handicap racing.

If you want equally full grids of drivers with talent levels that are deemed as close to yours as can possibly be determined through empirical data...yet all using the exact same vehicles...then you have Snail spec racing.

Where's this spec vs. handicap jargon coming from? Nobody said a thing about what you're going on about :lol:

Hahaha, wow. Now I'm definitely being misinterpreted.

Obviously there has to be a range in skill throughout one division otherwise there's no motivation to get better but if you have 3 people all considering themselves as in the way while those that are better are agreeing clearly something is wrong.

Seems safe to say you missed a simple thought process yourself, buddy.
It is obvious you can't read or understand the concepts defined within these e-pages.

How about this? To keep it REALLY simple.

What if snail was back in its infancy with one division? There are 10 drivers. 5 are GT Academy finalists. Then there's you, me, Bowler, Dragonwhiskey and Tcrash. We have almost zero chance of winning anything. But who do we complain to? We either suck it up or move to a handicap league...or public rooms with no rules. Your choice.

Where's this spec vs. handicap jargon coming from? Nobody said a thing about what you're going on about :lol:

I think Joe might have jumped a step or two on that one. I didn't know where the handicap comparison was coming from either. At least not from your posts. I kind of got that gist from some other posts and general attitudes.

It is obvious you can't read or understand the concepts defined within these e-pages.

How about this? To keep it REALLY simple.

What if snail was back in its infancy with one division? There are 10 drivers. 5 are GT Academy finalists. Then there's you, me, Bowler, Dragonwhiskey and Tcrash. We have almost zero chance of winning anything. But who do we complain to? We either suck it up or move to a handicap league...or public rooms with no rules. Your choice.

Oh, poor you.

That is taken out of the first post in this thread. Can anyone find anything in there that says every driver is going to have a chance to win every race?

It's not there. It says you will almost always be fighting to gain or defend a position.

@JLBowler
please understand that not winning is ok with me
i just dont want the top guys to complain about our pace
not only on the forum but especially on PSN message
questions like "what are you doing in D1" on race 2-2 im not the guy to name names but it
makes me feel like im missplaced and i wasnt even the slowest guy! there was 2 guys slower then me
the dude on this forum and a canadian wich name i dont remember thats why i said us 3 dont belong in d1
i wasnt even that bad in race 1, i finnished 5th on second race and qualified 4th on first
but that probably has to do with real life track expierience on Red Bull Ring since im there almost every summer its in my country
race 2 and 3 was just ridicolous especially for us 3

I think Joe might have jumped a step or two on that one. I didn't know where the handicap comparison was coming from either. At least not from your posts. I kind of got that gist from some other posts and general attitudes.
He seemed to want an equal chance of winning a race as the next guy. Equal chances only happen in handicap leagues.

Snail spec racing is fastest guys win...luckily there are enough members to put them in separate divisions grouped by talent level approximations.

@JLBowler
please understand that not winning is ok with me
i just dont want the top guys to complain about our pace
not only on the forum but especially on PSN message
questions like "what are you doing in D1" on race 2-2 im not the guy to name names but it
makes me feel like im missplaced and i wasnt even the slowest guy! there was 2 guys slower then me
the dude on this forum and a canadian wich name i dont remember thats why i said us 3 dont belong in d1
i wasnt even that bad in race 1, i finnished 5th on second race and qualified 4th on first
but that probably has to do with real life track expierience on Red Bull Ring since im there almost every summer its in my country
race 2 and 3 was just ridicolous especially for us 3

Anybody that wants to complain about the pace of another driver (and I know exactly who you are talking about, there is a PM coming their way as soon as I figure out how to word it) needs to come down off their high horse and stop acting like a donkey. If you're that fast you should just pull out and go around whenever you want to. The kind of comments you are describing are the kind of thing I would expect from some pasty faced 12 year old who could use a good serving of humble pie.

My comments about guys always wanting to win are only directed at those that feel that way. They know who they are and I can't claim to know anyone's true motivation. I can take some guesses based on comments but that doesn't mean I know anything about them.

Wow, can't believe some of this stuff I'm reading. Let me give you the perspective from a low time sim driver and new to online racing.
I joined the league in D8 in May, did well the first night, but the second week I won it all, got me 100 points, sure that was cool, but there were four of us! The others were probably just having a bad night. This in no way went to my head ,even when the next week I got 98 points. I'm old and mature enough to realize whats what. The month of June saw all of D8 join D7, which was better and more challenging but there were still on average just 8 of us. I had a great month and finished fourth.
Now in July there are a bunch of D8,7,6 and a couple of new guys all racing together in D6, and you know what, last night, racing in a room with 13 guys was the best night I have had so far, first time I didn't see a podium and ended up 6th overall. I had fun in each race, great battles and learnt more than any night before.
I think @JLBowler and the rest of the main crew are doing a great job, and if some of you don't like it, well..........

Now I'm starting to think this is a big joke...

No one is this stupid under normal conditions.

No I made the connection right away, I just don't see what value it has in this discussion when clearly nobody has mentioned it.

No one is this distracted under normal conditions...

He seemed to want an equal chance of winning a race as the next guy. Equal chances only happen in handicap leagues.

Snail spec racing is fastest guys win...luckily there are enough members to put them in separate divisions grouped by talent level approximations.

Again with the misinterpreting and straying off topic...and isn't an equal chance of winning the point of close, competitive racing, though?

Anyways, there's being a second off pace and four seconds off pace. If you still need explanation go somewhere else :lol:

You need to work on your comprehension skills, sir.

Ok, so we've gone through like 3 pages since I got out of work 3 hours ago. If anything relevant, other than divisional placement complaining happened, let me know :)

images

In June I got 18 podiums, 5 wins, 4 seconds and 9 thirds with an average finish of 3.17.👍
In all the time I've been in SNAIL, I have never had such a season and I got promoted 2 divisions!

Last night I didn't do so well, I finished last nearly every race, though I made many mistakes I had a good time and learned I have room for improvement! :gtpflag:

Ok, so we've gone through like 3 pages since I got out of work 3 hours ago. If anything relevant, other than divisional placement complaining happened, let me know :)

images
We are trying to get to post number 63751 so zer05ive can post the results.

In June I got 18 podiums, 5 wins, 4 seconds and 9 thirds with an average finish of 3.17.👍
In all the time I've been in SNAIL, I have never had such a season and I got promoted 2 divisions!

Last night I didn't do so well, I finished last nearly every race, though I made many mistakes I had a good time and learned I have room for improvement! :gtpflag:

Almost everyone got moved one division due to contraction. The second division was all you Chatva. You're just that good.

Wow, can't believe some of this stuff I'm reading. Let me give you the perspective from a low time sim driver and new to online racing.
I joined the league in D8 in May, did well the first night, but the second week I won it all, got me 100 points, sure that was cool, but there were four of us! The others were probably just having a bad night. This in no way went to my head ,even when the next week I got 98 points. I'm old and mature enough to realize whats what. The month of June saw all of D8 join D7, which was better and more challenging but there were still on average just 8 of us. I had a great month and finished fourth.
Now in July there are a bunch of D8,7,6 and a couple of new guys all racing together in D6, and you know what, last night, racing in a room with 13 guys was the best night I have had so far, first time I didn't see a podium and ended up 6th overall. I had fun in each race, great battles and learnt more than any night before.
I think @JLBowler and the rest of the main crew are doing a great job, and if some of you don't like it, well..........
I have to agree about the fun with racing last night. This was my first night in the league and I think I finished dead last in points,but that was my fault, and lack of ability to drive in traffic. I enjoyed the close racing and knowing that I have to be smooooother to be at the front.

Back