◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,417 comments
👍 Division 6 race report :gtpflag:
After seeing that their were no reports against any drivers in division 6 last Sunday, i want to congratulate everyone with no incident reports in clean, competitive racing. I want to thank everyone for me being chosen as the host for our division and cannot thank all the data recorders/scoring, data keepers, video and picture uploaders enough for the hard work you do not just in division 6 but in all divisions. The stewards as well for the time you take to view all of the videos.

Always looking forwards to each week racing with you guys. Just want to say thank you. It is very much appreciated and for everyone in division 6, want you all to have fun everytime you come to the room.

Always remember to have fun the SNAIL way, clean, competitive racing each week.

:gtpflag: 👍 :cheers:

Hi JLBowler, I submitted my time trial but didn't get a reply yet, did you get it or did I do it wrong?
Continue "watching" the thread. I promise you will be informed every step and updated add to your next step. Be more patient than usual...lol.
These guys are very good at administration here and information. Hang in there.

Continue "watching" the thread. I promise you will be informed every step and updated add to your next step. Be more patient than usual...lol.
These guys are very good at administration here and information. Hang in there.
Ok thank you

I'll be back in Canada just a few hours before the races next Sunday and for someone that will get on track with no practicing at all this combos are just amazing:ill:

I'll be back in Canada just a few hours before the races next Sunday and for someone that will get on track with no practicing at all this combos are just amazing:ill:

You will want to do a few laps in the Lotus at Big Willow. Initially it's a bit more difficult than the Vette to find proper balance and speed for the corners. I'm the worlds worst drifter but a good one will probably like this combo. I'm enjoying the challenge as I'm sure time spent on this one will teach me something. I'm far from an expert on this stuff, so I'm going to guess the skill here is being able to maintain proper slip angle to go fast without going over the edge of traction at the rear putting the car in huge oversteer. Is that it? Unloading the rear tires (or loading the front) at the wrong time is also disastrous.

Please explain better if you can. :)

Last edited:
The driver's list has been updated to include anyone who has submitted a time trial and correct some oversights regarding the division placement of some part time drivers. I urge all drivers to take a look at the list. Another update will be coming on Sunday morning in preparation for Sunday night racing.

Once again. Everybody needs to see this regarding Ascari. Not knowing the rules is not a valid excuse for not following the rules. You will be penalized for shortcutting weather you knew the rule or not.

A reminder for some and new information to others. This earlier post describes the track boundaries at Ascari. Please note that these boundaries are quite different from what the game allows you to do and from what we do at other tracks. This is a unique track that isn't in the business of hosting races so they don't have proper course markings.

Ascari Race Resort

ascari_map.gif

The Ascari Race Resort offers an impressive closed circuit where you can enjoy the speed in its purest form, without limits but always with a maximum safety. With 26 corners (13 left hand and 13 right hand corners) and incredible cambers and slopes, the Ascari circuit proud to be the longest track in Spain thanks to its length of 5,425 meters ,with the possibility to divide into three different sections or combinations.

The circuit is built with the highest quality, with a width of 12,2 meters throughout the whole length, the asphalt pavement gives a perfect balance between grip and tire wear as well as being an excellent drainage.

The above was taken from the Ascari Race Resort web page. Being that the track is a private resort and specializes in renting cars to customers or allowing them to drive their own cars on the track, they don't host actual races so the things we are used to seeing in a race track are not always present. The most glaring example would be that there are no proper rumble strips at Ascari. With this in mind, the track boundaries are a little different here. The white line serves as the boundary with the only exceptions coming at the chicanes on the track that have the wide areas of painted concrete. They will be shown in the photos below. The painted mounds at the edge of the track are NOT rumble strips and are NOT part of the track at any place on the track.

Two shots from the first chicane. You may use the painted areas as track but you must not put any part of any tire on the grass.

NKxy0Pv.jpg

RBTZEcS.jpg

Two shots from the second chicane. It's the same as the first. You may use the painted area as track but you must not put a tire on the grass.

bLMD1AG.jpg

JDUYSMD.jpg

If it looks like this then the white line is the boundary. You must have two tires on or inside the white line.

XsGkArN.jpg

You will want to do a few laps in the Lotus at Big Willow. Initially it's a bit more difficult than the Vette to find proper balance and speed for the corners. I'm the worlds worst drifter but a good one will probably like this combo. I'm enjoying the challenge as I'm sure time spent on this one will teach me something. I'm far from an expert on this stuff, so I'm going to guess the skill here is being able to maintain proper slip angle to go fast without going over the edge of traction at the rear putting the car in huge oversteer. Is that it? Unloading the rear tires (or loading the front) at the wrong time is also disastrous.

Please explain better if you can. :)
Turn 2, 8, and 9 are all about maximum slip angle, and with 9 being a closing radius turn its especially important to stay in the slip angle while decelerating.

That's the trick with willow... It's a grip track, with the fastest two corners west of the Mississippi for effect...

Both of these ideas would break the league format, which is described at the bottom of this post. In short, the format is to change one combo completely, change one combo halfway, and keep one combo the same. It's a tried and true formula and the idea is one of the reasons I started the league in the first place. Not saying it won't ever change, but it would take a really something pretty significant. For example, if someone presented a compelling reason why changing 50% of the cars/tracks each week is too much or too little. However, changing the league format just to tweak the prizes a bit isn't really in the cards.

Yup, that's how we've always done it up until earlier this year. That's when voted to see if we would change Prize C to what it is now. The old Prize C was a gift car in GT5 and the winner had no say in car or track selection. We could always take another vote on the Prize C "freeze" though.

But why would prize B freeze the track and give up their right to choose the track? If they wanted to freeze the car, all they would have to do is just pick a new track and the car would automatically be frozen. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your idea.

What I had in mind was:

Prize A: Change the combo (no change)

Prize B Scenario 1: Choose a new car
Prize C Scenario 1: Out of luck because track is automatically frozen

Prize B Scenario 2: Freeze the car
Prize C Scenario 2: Choose a new track

So, Prize B always choose the car for the next week's combo and Prize C has about a half a chance to choose a new track.

Example:
Two weeks ago @FloptaStr8 really wanted to choose a new car because the RX7 was in use for several weeks. So, she gambled by passing the freeze. The Prize C guy then froze the car. Flop were then forced to choose a new track. With the altenative method Scenario 1 above, Flop would have chosen a new car and Prize C was going to be out of luck for that week.

If you want to add two more scenarios you will reduce Prize C's chances to participate to a miniscule %
Prize B Scenario 3: Choose a new track
Prize C Scenario 3: Out of luck because car is automatically frozen
Prize B Scenario 4: Freeze the track
Prize C Scenario 4: Choose a new car

Example:
Last week's Prize B winner really wanted to choose a new track for the Corvette so he gambled and passed the freeze. Prize C winner then froze the track, so Prize B had to choose a new car. In the Alternative Scenario 3 above he choose a new track and Prize C was out of luck because the car is automatically frozen.

Problem for Prize C is that Prize B will always go for either Scenario 1 or Scenario 3 - which brings it back to the original way.

So, in this proposal, I suggest the best alternative option to today's method is Scenario's 1 and 2 for Prize B and C where Prize B determines the car and Prize C sometimes determines the track.

It makes Prize B a little more valuable than Prize C
Prize Options - Proposal.jpg

I just want to say thank you for letting me join the practice session. I learn a lot especially watching the replay. Wow, this guy LLOYDZ_ELITE69 is very fast and run a very unique line. Big thanks to AJK-VAIL for showing me so much different techniques. Thanks to Drgreen and another guy (forgot his PSN) for the race.

Anyone has youtube videos of some of the competitive race replays??

Updated Driver's List / my Friend invites for D5 drivers. If you are added after this date/time to D5, send a PSN Friend Invite to all Hosts for D5 (User is probably main/connection guy, or me, or Exo, or Coach....). Unless your PSN list is full, it would be wise to add your entire division.

I just want to say thank you for letting me join the practice session. I learn a lot especially watching the replay. Wow, this guy LLOYDZ_ELITE69 is very fast and run a very unique line. Big thanks to AJK-VAIL for showing me so much different techniques. Thanks to Drgreen and another guy (forgot his PSN) for the race.

Anyone has youtube videos of some of the competitive race replays??
If you or anybody needs help, I'm always willing. Show you the perfered line, gearing and what to do around the track... Well, I'll try my best at least :P

What I had in mind was:

So, Prize B always choose the car for the next week's combo and Prize C has about a half a chance to choose a new track.

Example:
Two weeks ago @FloptaStr8 really wanted to choose a new car because the RX7 was in use for several weeks. So, she gambled by passing the freeze. The Prize C guy then froze the car. Flop were then forced to choose a new track. With the altenative method Scenario 1 above, Flop would have chosen a new car and Prize C was going to be out of luck for that week.

If you want to add two more scenarios you will reduce Prize C's chances to participate to a miniscule %

Example:
Last week's Prize B winner really wanted to choose a new track for the Corvette so he gambled and passed the freeze. Prize C winner then froze the track, so Prize B had to choose a new car. In the Alternative Scenario 3 above he choose a new track and Prize C was out of luck because the car is automatically frozen.

Problem for Prize C is that Prize B will always go for either Scenario 1 or Scenario 3 - which brings it back to the original way.

So, in this proposal, I suggest the best alternative option to today's method is Scenario's 1 and 2 for Prize B and C where Prize B determines the car and Prize C sometimes determines the track.

View attachment 200248

I think you actually managed to make it more complicated and have the possibility of prize C getting nothing. In my opinion, what we have now is better in every way.

I think you actually managed to make it more complicated and have the possibility of prize C getting nothing. In my opinion, what we have now is better in every way.

I agree, i think the way the prizes are set up right now is really good and shouldnt be changed anytime soon, except for a really really really good idea that doesnt make things more complicated and even cuts out a prize

I am actually going to disagree with you on this. I think it makes prize B better. Yes there is a chance that Prize C does not have a say but ideally prize B should be worth more than prize c. This way Prize A choose both elements of a combo. Prize B chooses one element of a combo and Prize C has a 50% chance of choosing an element of a combo.

Prize A: choose Combo

Prize B: gets to choose either Track or car

Prize C: gets to pick whatever "Prize B" doesn't choose.

BAM

And now you're back to replacing two full combos which isn't going to happen. One full combo and one half of one combo get's replaced each week and zer05ive has made it pretty clear that it's going to stay that way.

I am actually going to disagree with you on this. I think it makes prize B better. Yes there is a chance that Prize C does not have a say but ideally prize B should be worth more than prize c. This way Prize A choose both elements of a combo. Prize B chooses one element of a combo and Prize C has a 50% chance of choosing an element of a combo.
It may make prize B "better" but it does so at the expense of prize C which would have a 50% chance of being worthless. I don't think that's the way to go.

And now you're back to replacing two full combos which isn't going to happen. One full combo and one half of one combo get's replaced each week and zer05ive has made it pretty clear that it's going to stay that way.

It may make prize B "better" but it does so at the expense of prize C which would have a 50% chance of being worthless. I don't think that's the way to go.
Just a suggestion :P

So I was reading through this topic and saw that before gt6 you had Prize C get a gift car. Why not go back to something like that but instead of a 'Gift Car' have a 'Gift Package'. Below are some ideas that could be included:

1. Gets to pick the banners made by @Pizzle13 for that weeks races.
2. His vote, on which combos to be replaced, would count as 3 votes and could be split up (2 for one combo and 1 for a different combo).
3. Gets 1 $hell
4. A 'voucher' for a 1 week probation reduction (Details could be worked out)
5. etc.

The idea is to have multiple small items that add up to something prize worthy. Maybe even so good that you allow the prize winners to choose their prize. So, prize winner A could choose 'Option 1' (Change full combo), 'Option 2' (Freeze and new car/track), or 'Option 3' (Prize package). Then prize winner 2 would get to choose between the two that winner A didn't pick. And prize winner 3 would get the leftover.

This would also give Prize B winner both the control over which, track or car, to freeze and pick the other and not changing the 1 & 1/2 combo change per week.

I agree that there is nothing terribly wrong with the prize set up now, but it seems as though some people have issues with Prize B&C, but if people post their ideas, no matter how bizarre, complicated, or stupid, the result of dozens of ideas coming into one could be something that everyone could agree on.

So I was reading through this topic and saw that before gt6 you had Prize C get a gift car. Why not go back to something like that but instead of a 'Gift Car' have a 'Gift Package'. Below are some ideas that could be included:

1. Gets to pick the banners made by @Pizzle13 for that weeks races.
2. His vote, on which combos to be replaced, would count as 3 votes and could be split up (2 for one combo and 1 for a different combo).
3. Gets 1 $hell
4. A 'voucher' for a 1 week probation reduction (Details could be worked out)
5. etc.

The idea is to have multiple small items that add up to something prize worthy. Maybe even so good that you allow the prize winners to choose their prize. So, prize winner A could choose 'Option 1' (Change full combo), 'Option 2' (Freeze and new car/track), or 'Option 3' (Prize package). Then prize winner 2 would get to choose between the two that winner A didn't pick. And prize winner 3 would get the leftover.

This would also give Prize B winner both the control over which, track or car, to freeze and pick the other and not changing the 1 & 1/2 combo change per week.

I agree that there is nothing terribly wrong with the prize set up now, but it seems as though some people have issues with Prize B&C, but if people post their ideas, no matter how bizarre, complicated, or stupid, the result of dozens of ideas coming into one could be something that everyone could agree on.

That's actually the best direction I've seen this discussion head toward. The only thing I see in there that probably wouldn't be considered would be the voucher to lose a week of probation. Drivers "earn" their way onto probation and should have to demonstrate that they are driving cleanly to work down their probation. Just because you are winning prize C doesn't mean you are driving cleanly.

Now that I think about it, the winning shells for race performance might have already been vetoed as well. I believe shells were meant to reward individuals who are helping with the off the track stuff.

Some type of other prize package for Prize C would probably be a good idea if we could come up with suitable prizes. It would go back to the roots of SNAIL and would streamline the prize selection process.

I believe the original format is excellent and it seems to me that the only complication is what to do for the Prize C winner.

The original gift car was a good solution because it didn't interfere with the car and track selections for the Prize A and B winners. While I could understand the rationale behind the Prize C winner being involved in the process of selecting a new car or track in conjunction with the Prize B winner, it really is only adding a layer of complication and diminishing the worth of winning Prize B.

I'm not sure how people would feel about it but I would suggest the simplest solution is to scrap Prize C altogether and leave the original format intact by leaving the combo selections to the Prize A and B winners solely.
Yes, I agree that the original format was very solid. However, keep in mind that we only started with one division and just winning 3rd place earned Prize C. Therefore, it wasn't as if there was any need to give the Prize C winner much more than a pat on the back in the form of a gift car. When we eventually expanded to three divisions, we switch the prize winners to the winners of each division. But even then, the Prize C winner was still the "worst of the best" so-to-speak and so there still wasn't a compelling feeling to reward Prize C with much more than a gift car. We eventually expanded to 5 or 6 divisions in the GT5 days, but then contracted back down to 3 in the final days as GT6 loomed on the horizon.

However, when GT6 came along, not only did we lose the Prize C gift car, but we ballooned to eight divisions pretty quickly. So not only was there a need to find a new Prize C, but winning Prize C in the first place was now a much more impressive feat (third highest score out of ~100 drivers). When we took a vote back in March, the overwhelming majority supported the "freeze". That being said, it's noted in that post that, "if chaos and confusion take over the prize selection process, we'll have to reconsider." So the question is, has that been the case? Has the added complexity of Prize C outweighed the value of the prize itself? If anyone else feels that way, let it be known so that that we can re-vote on the matter.

What I had in mind was:

Example:

Example:

View attachment 200248
Thanks for the detailed explanation. The problem I have with Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 is that they put a higher value on picking a new car over picking a new track. I feel that both the car and the track should be viewed as equally important components of a combo, and neither should be put on a pedestal or labeled as the component that needs to be determined first before the other can be determined.

Of course, that "priority" would be eliminated by Scenario 3 and 4. However, I see the addition of those two scenarios as the same thing as eliminating Prize C entirely. The reason I say that is because Scenario 1 is the same thing as Scenario 4. Similarly, Scenario 2 is the same thing as Scenario 3. Yes, they are described differently, but they equate to the identical result. For example, if the Prize B winner chose to freeze the track (as in Scenario 4), why wouldn't he just choose a new car (as in Scenario 1)? Either way, the track is frozen. Same thing with the car.. If the Prize B winner wanted to freeze the car (as in Scenario 2), he would be much better off simply choosing a new track (as in Scenario 3) because that would freeze the car anyways.

Last edited:
That's actually the best direction I've seen this discussion head toward. The only thing I see in there that probably wouldn't be considered would be the voucher to lose a week of probation. Drivers "earn" their way onto probation and should have to demonstrate that they are driving cleanly to work down their probation. Just because you are winning prize C doesn't mean you are driving cleanly.

Now that I think about it, the winning shells for race performance might have already been vetoed as well. I believe shells were meant to reward individuals who are helping with the off the track stuff.

Some type of other prize package for Prize C would probably be a good idea if we could come up with suitable prizes. It would go back to the roots of SNAIL and would streamline the prize selection process.

Yep I understand your point about the 'Probation Voucher' and $hells, and thought of that, but just threw it on there to give the post some meat. Other people may see areas for prizes to be rewarded, I have only been here for two weeks and have only scratched the surface of the deep culture this group has. :bowdown:

Back