◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,782 comments
Well said @ConnorWolf
One thing not many people would think of when removing the rear seat is how much more noise you'll hear. You'll start to hear more from the rear tires and exhaust.

A beautiful symphony.

Finished first day at VIR without incident. I am bushed. I have a good instructor, and all is going great. I love my car even more each chance I get to autocross or start comimg to a track. - how it looks, how it performs, how it just... Balances on corners. Much less hp than most of the other guys, but on esses,combination corners, I just cannot stop grinning, throttle steering - and catching up to some of them. Highlight of the day: corner workers telling the new 911 GT3 ahead of me that he had to give me a pass on the next straight.*

Thanks for the advice, one again @JoeW

* Dad let his son borrow the brand new GT3 car, all of 800 miles on it. So much for any hopes I had for "Dad of the Year!"

What are you driving @Handlebar ?

lrn0buC.jpg

License plate: STACHE

We'll we just finished the Bathurst test. All in all, I think it was a success. Only problem besides battling for space, was Tex was booted from room at start of last combo. Not sure if that is bad track or bad connection.I give the track the green light. Thanks to @TEX36 for awesome hosting.

That's usually a connection problem with the room, not the track. It's not a new problem. When someone is disconnecting while the race is starting up, the screen will be black for a while. What's strange is the person disconnecting can still talk to everyone with a mic at the black screen.

Some say I'm hard to pass
Some say I'm not looking at my mirrors

Both statements very well may be true!
Find your way past!

The race is in front of you... I can confirm that Chat's fanny is huge! He is fast, and doesn't offer too much in the way of free passes... If you are in a dog fight with this dude, you can always count on a little sweat!

16211330097_8bbf402081_n.jpg

16209835520_c3ecd2abea_n.jpg

As the co-series director for the Tuesday SNAIL Touring Car Series and Wednesday SNAIL Race Car Series, I'm happy to congratulate @vovik05 for taking the series champions in both TCS and RCS this past season.

With the above comes the announcement that we are now accepting applications for new drivers to join the fun in both series. If your looking for something to do on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays, please check out the threads for the Tuesday Touring Car Series or Wednesday Race Car Series and sign up in the thread. The next season for both series starts on 3/17 and 3/18 respectfully and would love to have some quality SNAILS join the fun. Space is limited so if your interested, don't delay.

If you have any questions about either of these series, please let me know. Hope to see you on the track.

Regards, Grim and Zii

Just a final reminder that the next seasons for both the Tuesday Touring Car Series and Wednesday Race Car Series starts up a couple days and space is limited. If your looking for some great racing during the week in a different format, please head over to the topics and sign up soon today. Below are the cars we are running in each of the two series this season. Hope to see you on the track.

Banner - Season 3 Race Car - V4.jpg

Banner - Season 8 Race Car - V4.jpg

This is just a comment and not accusatory to any parties :)

Being difficult to pass is one thing, blocking is another.

Here's what the ORL states:

9: Defensive Driving:

A:
Leading cars have the right to choose their own line down a straight. They can change their racing line once while driving down a straight (Move from the outside line to the inside, or vice versa). As they approach the next corner, they can return to the racing line of their choice. However, they are not allowed to change their line when the behind driver is directly behind and changes his line to try and make a pass. If your movement causes an accident, you are responsible.

B:
Leading cars have the right to take their line of choice through corners. I.e. they may drive a defensive line around the inside of a corner to protect their position, thereby forcing an attacking driver to try to pass around the outside. This is not blocking and is part of normal racing etiquette. In fact, apart from the restrictions of rule 10:A, a leading driver can drive any line which they feel is the most inconvenient for any following car to try to pass them. This does not mean that the lead driver may change their line mid-corner in an attempt to block a fellow competitor.

C:
Drivers that are about to get lapped have to make sure not to interfere with the lapping cars. The driver being lapped should stay on the racing line but slow down just enough to allow the lead driver an easy pass. Keep your racing line predictable and try to stay out of the way.

Last edited:
9: Defensive Driving:

A:
Leading cars have the right to choose their own line down a straight. They can change their racing line once while driving down a straight (Move from the outside line to the inside, or vice versa). As they approach the next corner, they can return to the racing line of their choice. However, they are not allowed to change their line when the behind driver is directly behind AND changes his line to try and make a pass. If your movement causes an accident, you are responsible.

Concerning the underlined and embolden "AND"... I thought I might ask how this might be interpreted by others in case it is different from how I understand it. Last weekend in a practice race at Motegi I was leading but being followed coming down the hill into the slow off-camber right hander (the one following the chicane after turn 1). I can't remember specifically how much lead I had, but it wasn't much, maybe 1-2 car length gap?. Anyways, It was close enough that I thought the following car might try to out brake me since I think it had been established that I brake earlier there than he. In my attempt to play a mental game I drove down the straight in the middle of the track in an effort to show that I was going to run a defensive inside entry. Then just before the braking zone I swung back to the outside to take a traditional entry. Now, the way I remember it, the following driver at no point changed his line as he followed me down the straight, he stayed far left steadfast all the to the braking zone. So, since the OLR states when a driver is directly behind "AND" changes his line, I cannot change mine. But since BOTH scenarios did not exist, my choice to change line would not be considered blocking, but simply my right to line choice. Is that correct?

I know it looked goofy since there was a reaction of curiosity, but since the topic of blocking was brought up I thought I'd take the opportunity to clarify. :)

Concerning the underlined and embolden "AND"... I thought I might ask how this might be interpreted by others in case it is different from how I understand it. Last weekend in a practice race at Motegi I was leading but being followed coming down the hill into the slow off-camber right hander (the one following the chicane after turn 1). I can't remember specifically how much lead I had, but it wasn't much, maybe 1-2 car length gap?. Anyways, It was close enough that I thought the following car might try to out brake me since I think it had been established that I brake earlier there than he. In my attempt to play a mental game I drove down the straight in the middle of the track in an effort to show that I was going to run a defensive inside entry. Then just before the braking zone I swung back to the outside to take a traditional entry. Now, the way I remember it, the following driver at no point changed his line as he followed me down the straight, he stayed far left steadfast all the to the braking zone. So, since the OLR states when a driver is directly behind "AND" changes his line, I cannot change mine. But since BOTH scenarios did not exist, my choice to change line would not be considered blocking, but simply my right to line choice. Is that correct?

I know it looked goofy since there was a reaction of curiosity, but since the topic of blocking was brought up I thought I'd take the opportunity to clarify. :)
As described this sounds perfectly fine. The difference, and what the stewards look for in tail to nose racing is, did the ahead driver make their move to a defensive line, or back to the racing line, before or after the behind driver made their lateral move to pass? One is legal, the other is not.

To add to DW's take. If the behind driver runs all the way down the straight on the outside and the lead driver moves to the middle and then comes back for corner entry, the lead driver must make sure there is room in front of the other car to allow for a return to that line without contact.

Remember that overlap does not matter in this situation. If the behind driver has his front bumper to the lead drivers rear bumper, the lead driver would be at fault for any contact while trying to return to a line for corner entry. This is not the turn in point and the turn in point is the only place that overlap matters.

Now we move on to a little strategy as pertains to defensive lines. This presentation assumes all moves are made in a legal fashion. I want everyone to keep in mind these general rules;
  • A shallow entrance approach will require a wider exit to maintain speed.
  • The tighter the radius of the curve to be traveled will require less speed to navigate.
  • The speed lost, or gained, can be offset by distance traveled, but not always.

A standard entrance approach using the Outside/In/Outside philosophy where the ahead car is being attacked. This also takes for granted that overlap is established prior to the ahead car's turn in.

Standard inside passing attack.
CurveWLaneCars1.png

fig 1

The behind car has a right to the inside lane. The ahead car is obligated to allow that inside lane to be used and should plan accordingly. The passing car must also take into account who is where for exit. Unless the passing car (blue, mostly) completely clears the red car, he must leave an outside lane on exit. This is where many passes go wrong.

A standard defensive approach line;
CurveWLaneCars2.png

fig 2
The ahead car (red) here, has legally made their move to defend by moving one full lane shallower and allows the behind car to chose an outside approach, or an even shallower approach than the ahead car. While not precisely shown in the picture, this also assumes the attacking car has sufficient overlap at the ahead car's turn in. Again, if the attacking car chooses the shallower entrance the ahead car is obligated to allow a lane on the inside and the attacking car is obligated to allow a lane to the outside on exit. Neither will get through the turn as fast as they would have in fig 1 and both now risk washing out wider on exit and will need to slow down more at some point to maintain track boundaries and lane obligations. If the passing car chooses the outside line and can maintain the attack, the ahead driver is now obligated to allow a lane on exit and will likely have to slow down to do it and could lose the corner.

Alternate defensive approach line;
CurveWLaneCars3.png

fig 3

In this example, the ahead car chooses, instead of using up an entire lane for a defensive approach, to use up half of two lanes. This takes away the option of the outside lane for the attacking driver, as there isn't room for them to attain sufficient overlap. If they wish to press the attack and have sufficient speed to gain overlap by turn in, their only option here is to take an even shallower approach than in fig 1 and 2 and will have to slow even more to maintain exit lane obligations. While their making their decision, the ahead driver can already have made theirs to allow that inside lane and plan accordingly. It really is like chess folks and what is behind matters as much as what's in front. As a matter of fact, when another car is close enough behind you to attack, what's behind you matters more than what's in front. The race is not in front. It's anywhere there are cars attacking and defending each other's positions.

Last edited:
Now we move on to a little strategy as pertains to defensive lines. This presentation assumes all moves are made in a legal fashion. I want everyone to keep in mind these general rules;
  • A shallow entrance approach will require a wider exit to maintain speed.
  • The tighter the radius of the curve to be traveled will require less speed to navigate.
  • The speed lost, or gained, can be offset by distance traveled, but not always.

A standard entrance approach using the Outside/In/Outside philosophy where the ahead car is being attacked. This also takes for granted that overlap is established prior to the ahead car's turn in.

Standard inside passing attack.
View attachment 329975
fig 1

The behind car has a right to the inside lane. The ahead car is obligated to allow that inside lane to be used and should plan accordingly. The passing car must also take into account who is where for exit. Unless the passing car (blue, mostly) completely clears the red car, he must leave an outside lane on exit. This is where many passes go wrong.

A standard defensive approach line;
View attachment 329974
fig 2
The ahead car (red) here, has legally made their move to defend by moving one full lane shallower and allows the behind car to chose an outside approach, or an even shallower approach than the ahead car. While not precisely shown in the picture, this also assumes the attacking car has sufficient overlap at the ahead car's turn in. Again, if the attacking car chooses the shallower entrance the ahead car is obligated to allow a lane on the inside and the attacking car is obligated to allow a lane to the outside on exit. Neither will get through the turn as fast as they would have in fig 1 and both now risk washing out wider on exit and will need to slow down more at some point to maintain track boundaries and lane obligations. If the passing car chooses the outside line and can maintain the attack, the ahead driver is now obligated to allow a lane on exit and will likely have to slow down to do it and could lose the corner.

Alternate defensive approach line;
View attachment 329973
fig 3

In this example, the ahead car chooses, instead of using up an entire lane for a defensive approach, to use up half of two lanes. This takes away the option of the outside lane for the attacking driver, as there isn't room for them to attain sufficient overlap. If they wish to press the attack and have sufficient speed to gain overlap by turn in, their only option here is to take an even shallower approach than in fig 1 and 2 and will have to slow even more to maintain exit lane obligations. While their making their decision, the ahead driver can already have made theirs to allow that inside lane and plan accordingly. It really is like chess folks and what is behind matters as much as what's in front. As a matter of fact, when another car is close enough behind you to attack, what's behind you matters more than what's in front. The race is not in front. It's anywhere there are cars attacking and defending each other's positions.
AMEN!!! 'nuff said....

Back