◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,417 comments
Sher Maistry originally shared to Formula 1 (➲ Latest News):
#LewisHamilton Drops #LeMans, #Indy bomb
Double world champion walks away from
#F1 and +MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS

Lewis Hamilton has quit the Mercedes F1 team with immediate effect following a fracas after last weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix. In a shock announcement last night the double world Formula 1 champion confirmed that he will tackle the 2015 Le Mans 24 Hour and the Indianapolis 500.

“I will no longer drive for Mercedes in Formula 1,” Hamilton confirmed. ”It has been coming for a while, but rather let’s leave it at that.”

“What I can say is that I will be racing a revolutionary new #Datsun at Le Mans and I will also be competing in the Indianapolis 500.”

Datsun at the same time confirmed that it would be entering two until now secret SSS LMP1s at Le Mans run by Chip Ganassi’s multiple Daytona 24-winning team for Hamilton and multi Daytona 24 and Indy 500 winners, Brazilian Tony Kanaan and Kiwi Scott Dixon. The trio will drive a Kardashians entered car alongside an all-Japanese Datsun Junior Team line-up.

Hamilton will also race the 2015 Indianapolis 500 in a Kardashians-backed Ganassi-run Dallara Chevrolet.

It is understood that relationships broke down to a point where Hamilton exercised an exit clause in his contract based on continued Mercedes team suggestions that team boss, former triple world F1 champion Niki Lauda, is a quicker driver than Hamilton. “Not for the first time Toto (Woolf) told Lewis that Niki would be quicker than him in the Mercedes in the debrief at Sepang on Sunday,” a Mercedes team source, who wished to remain anonymous explained. “Lewis seemed more upset at his managers giggling after that suggestion and he stormed out of the meeting.”

Hamilton is believed to have travelled direct to Japan from Malaysia to tie up the Datsun deal before jetting to Indianapolis for seat fittings and shake-down drives at both Datsun’s shop within the new Nissan LMP1 outfit, and at Ganassi’s IndyCar shop.

“Contractually Lewis Hamilton cannot race in Formula 1 in 2015 following the breakdown of relations with his former Formula 1 team,” a statement from Hamilton’s new manager Kim Kardashian confirmed. “Lewis will instead drive a radical new Kardashians Datsun SSS LMP1 at Le Mans and a Kardashian-Ganassi Dallara Chevrolet in the Indianapolis 500, while he firms up his future racing plans.

“Lewis is impressed by the technical freedoms offered by Le Mans and he now looks forward to making a concerted effort to winning two of the remaining legendary world racing crowns alongside his two F1 world championships.”

The Datsun SSS LMP1 uses the same basis as Nissan’s existing front-drive biased GTR LMP1 but the Datsun uses a revolutionary and highly advanced hybrid system comprising an electronically supercharged variable-compression ratio 1.5-litre V12 driving the front wheels via a highly advanced constantly variable transmission and electric drive motors like those in Nissan’s Le Mans car. However, not only is electric energy stored in a supecapacitor, but boost pressure from the supercharger is also stored in a plenum within the modified Datsun chassis and fed to the engine on demand.

“This system exceeds Le Mans power quotas and allows a consistently variable power output to ensure great versatility and the ideal output to suit whatever point the car is within the power band or on track,” Datsun technical boss Eerste van den Maand explained. Total output said to be in the region of 1200bhp, available at any point in the car’s performance envelope.

The second Le Mans Datsun will be driven by young Japanese trio Dijya She/Dadate Isa/Wana Abyl, while Hamilton will drive alongside Ganassi quartet Dixon, Kanaan, Charlie Kimball and Sage Karam at Indianapolis. Further details of Hamilton’s plans will be confirmed shortly.
Read more (76 lines)Show less

Sher
Isn't this the same April fools that went around last year with a different car in the pic?

This would not be parked if I could get my hands on it.
WP_20150403_003.jpg

I just copied it from their Google page

The problem with Google Plus.. is that you never really know who is the 'owner' of the communities... a lot of communities look official.. but they are far from it.

@@brntguy is the mastermind

Which brings me to my next point. I just reshared @brntguy at one of the communities called 'Sim Racing Videos' the site owner called it 'Spectacular'.

and BTW... I never get tired from watching either!

Yea, and it looks like they changed a few other things from the stock version.
It is a true GT3 car. The previous Pirelli World Challenge cars ( two years ago) were homologated modified street cars. Those cars now run in class GTA. Last year they allowed FIA approved GT3 pure race cars in and the series changed overnight to a mini Blanc Pain series.
Cadillac decided to continue in the series that they had dominated in GTA and
committed to make a GT3 car which they did. The field is greatly improved with Ferrari 458s, Bentley GTs, Lambos, GTRs, Porsche,Mclaren...etc.
Here is The Dyson Bentley GT. Last weekend...sweet....sounds GREAT. Twitter photo.
image.jpg

Great article. Those men were true hero material not merely talented chauffeurs
It takes much more commitment to smoke into a corner AT the limit knowing that if you get it wrong its really going to HURT...OR WORSE. This track continued to be used for testing and I believe was the site of Bruce Mclaren's final accident.
Pardon my ignorance if this has already been shared, but not sure if this angle has been seen here.

This happened routinely before the track was modified. F1 cars FLEW 23 times per lap in 1968. Blow Overs Like this came about with the advent of flat bottom cars. It's simple aero. When the car clears the ground the bottom of the car becomes a wing and creates lift....unlike planes...races cars have the aerodynamic characteristics of a garbage can filled with cement. The most famous blow overs were Sauber at Le Mans and The Penske Panzer Turbo 917 Can An at Road America. Damn shame about the spectators. In the OLD DAYS race tickets had a big disclaimer that said MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS.
A fan was hit in the head in StPete right behind our stand. The carbon fibre wing piece flew over 100 yards before it FELL on her.( fractured her skull)

How about we have a thread where we can post pix and stuff from races we attend.or is there one?

It is a true GT3 car. The previous Pirelli World Challenge cars ( two years ago) were homologated modified street cars. Those cars now run in class GTA. Last year they allowed FIA approved GT3 pure race cars in and the series changed overnight to a mini Blanc Pain series.
Cadillac decided to continue in the series that they had dominated in GTA and
committed to make a GT3 car which they did. The field is greatly improved with Ferrari 458s, Bentley GTs, Lambos, GTRs, Porsche,Mclaren...etc.
Here is The Dyson Bentley GT. Last weekend...sweet....sounds GREAT. Twitter photo.
View attachment 342895

Great article. Those men were true hero material not merely talented chauffeurs
It takes much more commitment to smoke into a corner AT the limit knowing that if you get it wrong its really going to HURT...OR WORSE. This track continued to be used for testing and I believe was the site of Bruce Mclaren's final accident.

This happened routinely before the track was modified. F1 cars FLEW 23 times per lap in 1968. Blow Overs Like this came about with the advent of flat bottom cars. It's simple aero. When the car clears the ground the bottom of the car becomes a wing and creates lift....unlike planes...races cars have the aerodynamic characteristics of a garbage can filled with cement. The most famous blow overs were Sauber at Le Mans and The Penske Panzer Turbo 917 Can An at Road America. Damn shame about the spectators. In the OLD DAYS race tickets had a big disclaimer that said MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS.
A fan was hit in the head in StPete right behind our stand. The carbon fire wing piece flew over 100 yards before it FELL on her.

How about we have a thread where we can post pix snd stuff from races we attend.or is there one?
Great idea. I attend more than a few from all forms of racing....

Great idea starting a new thread for "real racing pictures" @Nail-27 . I'm very interested in seeing and sharing race photos. I'll be in Monterey CA in a month for the Tudor Championship Series weekend at Laguna Seca and planning on taking lots of pictures.

I dont mind you using the SNAIL SPEC Racing Photo Club... unless you want to create a new thread.

For those discussing the differences in GT6 behavior in offline vs online mode. Here's a little dissertation on why it is, in fact, different.

First, a diagram of what the connections look like in a 5 person Non-fixed host room.

fivePoint.jpg

Each point on the perimeter is a PS3. Now, we'll zoom in on one of those lines.
Internet.PNG

The extreme left and right end points are PS3s. As you move in to the center map, which is a map of the US internet backbone infrastructure, where each device (router, switch and cabling owned by one of those corporations listed at the bottom of the map) from either end, the data packets hit your router, then your modem, which are devices in your control, and then go out to your ISP's equipment and cabling. These devices are at the points where 2 arrows meet. Anyone with a Windows machine can open a Command Prompt, (Start Menu>> All Programs>> Accessories>> Command Prompt) type in tracert www.google.com and hit enter. This will return the number of devices, and information about each, it takes for your data to travel to google. When I did this from my PC last night, there were 7 "hops" before my data ever got outside my ISP's equipment and onto the internet backbone. It took a total of 12 hops before my data hit the final device google allows to be polled. Admittedly, since my ISP is one of the owners of backbone routers, it might have been only 5 hops before the data hit the edge routers. Still, that's at least 5 devices including my router and modem before it ever hits the "internet". Every device the data packets hit is making decisions on where that data goes next, in real time. Those decisions and the time it takes for the data packets to travel between is what we call lag and is measured in milliseconds. The amount of data that can move over the lines and through the devices is commonly referred to as bandwidth and is measured in bits per second, (bps). More of the latter and less of the former is always a good thing but, neither is directly proportionally dependent on either. Meaning, just because you have great "ping" doesn't mean you will have great bandwidth and having great bandwidth doesn't mean you'll have great "ping".

The PS3 and GT6 have code built in to compensate for the time it takes for the data to travel from one PS3 to another. Anything that interrupts the data stream will increase the load and calculations GT6's algorithms have to ask the PS3 to process. The longer it takes for data to be received will also increase the processing load. Obviously, the amount of data being received will also increase the load on the process. This brings us to our next picture.

tenPoint.jpg

The above diagram represents the connections when 10 players are in a GT6 Non-fixed host lobby. The number of connection lines goes up considerably from 10 for the 5 man, to 45. Every one of those lines has between 10, to as many as 30, or more, hops to make before it gets to any other single PS3 in the room, and everyone is broadcasting to everyone. This isn't even including everyone's side connection to the GT6/PSN authentication servers, which must be maintained to keep each in the room. By the way, that point in the center, is not a PS3.

Now, we're going to add in 5 more. We've only tripled the number of players at this point but, the lines of connection didn't go from 10 to 20 to 30 on this journey. They went from 10 to 45 to 105.

fifteenPoint.jpg

Excluding the aforementioned PSN connection line, that's 105 of these;
Internet.PNG

Some of those lines stretch outside the US too. Now, multiply those by 8? Is SNAIL the only league racing on Sunday night? Is GT6 the only application being used on the internet on Sunday nights?

When you race offline (single player mode) there is only
big-black-dot.jpg

and, if an internet connection is available, the authentication connection to PSN/GT6. Nothing else. The processor isn't running calculations on lag and bandwidth prediction, extrapolation and correction for you and everyone else that's in an online room. This is why cars behave differently offline vs. online.

It was argued for much of GT5's lifespan that the game's physics model was actually different from offline to online. They released a patch that stated that difference was removed. I can only assume they brought that coding forward to GT6, so, we're left with nothing more than network issues to blame for the differences in the 2 modes of play. I personally suspect network instabilities were to blame for the differences noted in GT5 and they adjusted the network algorithms further to compensate. I have no empirical evidence to prove that suspicion however.

Those that state one of the best ways to prepare yourself for practicing in offline mode, or even online in your own lobby, is to use at least 1 grade less tire than what will be used during racing, are right on the money. Doing so will make the car react more inline with how it will behave in an online room with somewhere between 10 and 105 connections passing data over lines that can be affected by a lightning strike in Atlanta, a vehicular accident in Chicago, or a directional boring machine cutting through a concrete encased fiber line in Denver. When a network path goes down, all the devices using it have to find another route and resend each and every packet that didn't make it down the path that broke.

There is one more external influence on our network paths I would like to bring up. EMI. Electromagnetic Interference. Every electrical conductor, when energized, produces an EMI field. It varies in strength and size as voltage and amperage change on the line. Most network signal conductors are shielded to help minimize the effects of EMI and fiber lines are, for all intents and purposes, immune. The devices the fiber lines are connected to aren't however. EMI can also warp or corrupt Wifi signals and there's no way, I can think of anyway, to mitigate it, aside from making sure the path the signal travels between Tx/Rx doesn't intersect or come close to another line or device that emits EMI. Either that, or make the wireless signal more powerful than any expected EMI. For example, if I were to use my PS3's wifi to connect to my router, directly in line with the path that signal would take is a floor lamp. It is literally close enough for the 120v, 150w 1.25 amp load to bend that signal. Would it be enough to corrupt the data packets? I don't know and I don't care. I know enough about it to know it could happen so, my PS3 has a dedicated hard line straight to my router that laughs as it goes by that same floor lamp, flying at 100Mbps. Almost twice as fast as the PS3's G wifi can send data.

In conclusion, there's not much we can do, outside of making sure our connection to our ISP is as strong as we can make it, favor wired over wireless inside our home networks, and, when practicing offline or in our own rooms, to use a lesser grade tire than will be raced, to combat the differences in the two modes of play.

PS. I have to dime out @Falango . He is a perfect example of the level of skill, talent and expertise in areas not involving GT6 game play, this league has the privilege to attract. I struggled with MS Publisher for about 2 hours trying to make those 5, 10 and 15 point diagrams, got to the 15 point and ran out of steam getting all the connection lines added. I pmed Falango and in about 10 minutes he had generated all 3 diagrams in a nice, neat, presentable fashion and told me how many lines were in each. :bowdown: :cheers: 👍 and Thank you.

For those discussing the differences in GT6 behavior in offline vs online mode. Here's a little dissertation on why it is, in fact, different.

First, a diagram of what the connections look like in a 5 person Non-fixed host room.

fivepoint-jpg.342715

internet-png.342742

The extreme left and right end points are PS3s. As you move in to the center map, which is a map of the US internet backbone infrastructure, where each device (router, switch and cabling owned by one of those corporations listed at the bottom of the map) from either end, the data packets hit your router, then your modem, which are devices in your control, and then go out to your ISP's equipment and cabling. These devices are at the points where 2 arrows meet. Anyone with a Windows machine can open a Command Prompt, (Start Menu>> All Programs>> Accessories>> Command Prompt) type in tracert www.google.com and hit enter. This will return the number of devices, and information about each, it takes for your data to travel to google. When I did this from my PC last night, there were 7 "hops" before my data ever got outside my ISP's equipment and onto the internet backbone. It took a total of 12 hops before my data hit the final device google allows to be polled. Admittedly, since my ISP is one of the owners of backbone routers, it might have been only 5 hops before the data hit the edge routers. Still, that's at least 5 devices including my router and modem before it ever hits the "internet". Every device the data packets hit is making decisions on where that data goes next, in real time. Those decisions and the time it takes for the data packets to travel between is what we call lag and is measured in milliseconds. The amount of data that can move over the lines and through the devices is commonly referred to as bandwidth and is measured in bits per second, (bps). More of the latter and less of the former is always a good thing but, neither is directly proportionally dependent on either. Meaning, just because you have great "ping" doesn't mean you will have great bandwidth and having great bandwidth doesn't mean you'll have great "ping".

The PS3 and GT6 have code built in to compensate for the time it takes for the data to travel from one PS3 to another. Anything that interrupts the data stream will increase the load and calculations GT6's algorithms have to ask the PS3 to process. The longer it takes for data to be received will also increase the processing load. Obviously, the amount of data being received will also increase the load on the process. This brings us to our next picture.

tenpoint-jpg.342716

The above diagram represents the connections when 10 players are in a GT6 Non-fixed host lobby. The number of connection lines goes up considerably from 10 for the 5 man, to 45. Every one of those lines has between 10, to as many as 30, or more, hops to make before it gets to any other single PS3 in the room, and everyone is broadcasting to everyone. This isn't even including everyone's side connection to the GT6/PSN authentication servers, which must be maintained to keep each in the room. By the way, that point in the center, is not a PS3.

Now, we're going to add in 5 more. We've only tripled the number of players at this point but, the lines of connection didn't go from 10 to 20 to 30 on this journey. They went from 10 to 45 to 105.

fifteenpoint-jpg.342717

internet-png.342742

Some of those lines stretch outside the US too. Now, multiply those by 8? Is SNAIL the only league racing on Sunday night? Is GT6 the only application being used on the internet on Sunday nights?

View attachment 342906
and, if an internet connection is available, the authentication connection to PSN/GT6. Nothing else. The processor isn't running calculations on lag and bandwidth prediction, extrapolation and correction for you and everyone else that's in an online room. This is why cars behave differently offline vs. online.

It was argued for much of GT5's lifespan that the game's physics model was actually different from offline to online. They released a patch that stated that difference was removed. I can only assume they brought that coding forward to GT6, so, we're left with nothing more than network issues to blame for the differences in the 2 modes of play. I personally suspect network instabilities were to blame for the differences noted in GT5 and they adjusted the network algorithms further to compensate. I have no empirical evidence to prove that suspicion however.

Those that state one of the best ways to prepare yourself for practicing in offline mode, or even online in your own lobby, is to use at least 1 grade less tire than what will be used during racing, are right on the money. Doing so will make the car react more inline with how it will behave in an online room with somewhere between 10 and 105 connections passing data over lines that can be affected by a lightning strike in Atlanta, a vehicular accident in Chicago, or a directional boring machine cutting through a concrete encased fiber line in Denver. When a network path goes down, all the devices using it have to find another route and resend each and every packet that didn't make it down the path that broke.

There is one more external influence on our network paths I would like to bring up. EMI. Electromagnetic Interference. Every electrical conductor, when energized, produces an EMI field. It varies in strength and size as voltage and amperage change on the line. Most network signal conductors are shielded to help minimize the effects of EMI and fiber lines are, for all intents and purposes, immune. The devices the fiber lines are connected to aren't however. EMI can also warp or corrupt Wifi signals and there's no way, I can think of anyway, to mitigate it, aside from making sure the path the signal travels between Tx/Rx doesn't intersect or come close to another line or device that emits EMI. Either that, or make the wireless signal more powerful than any expected EMI. For example, if I were to use my PS3's wifi to connect to my router, directly in line with the path that signal would take is a floor lamp. It is literally close enough for the 120v, 150w 1.25 amp load to bend that signal. Would it be enough to corrupt the data packets? I don't know and I don't care. I know enough about it to know it could happen so, my PS3 has a dedicated hard line straight to my router that laughs as it goes by that same floor lamp, flying at 100Mbps. Almost twice as fast as the PS3's G wifi can send data.

In conclusion, there's not much we can do, outside of making sure our connection to our ISP is as strong as we can make it, favor wired over wireless inside our home networks, and, when practicing offline or in our own rooms, to use a lesser grade tire than will be raced, to combat the differences in the two modes of play.

PS. I have to dime out @Falango . He is a perfect example of the level of skill, talent and expertise in areas not involving GT6 game play, this league has the privilege to attract. I struggled with MS Publisher for about 2 hours trying to make those 5, 10 and 15 point diagrams, got to the 15 point and ran out of steam getting all the connection lines added. I pmed Falango and in about 10 minutes he had generated all 3 diagrams in a nice, neat, presentable fashion and told me how many lines were in each. :bowdown: :cheers: 👍 and Thank you.

Where can I get the English translation ? :dopey:

on a more serious note... I've begun to translate the SOLR into Spanish. If anyone out there is willing to help out by divide and conquer please let me know.

@Dragonwhisky OLR = Online League Rules ?
Think the OLR actually stands for OnLine Racing. GTP's version would look kinda like this, OLRR&G OnLine Racing Rules and Guidelines

I
on a more serious note... I've begun to translate the SOLR into Spanish. If anyone out there is willing to help out by divide and conquer please let me know.

I wanna help!!! Start a convo with me! Wolf! Where are you from? Where did you learned spanish? I'm Colombian and our spanish is one of the most neutral so I'll help you make something everyone should understand!

fivepoint-jpg.342715

internet-png.342742

tenpoint-jpg.342716

fifteenpoint-jpg.342717

internet-png.342742

View attachment 342906

Hmmm...so connection speed is, in fact, the reason behind the physics difference...which I hypothetically suggested from the beginning.

See there. Here's another example of the talent we have lurking about around here. SOLR is a pretty big doc folks, any other bi-lingual folks out there? Show us your stuff. Special Projects earn $hells too!

Hmmm...so connection speed is, in fact, the reason behind the physics difference...which I hypothetically suggested from the beginning.
Yes, yes you did. But speed isn't even half the equation. Reliability and stability are probably more important than the speed. To be honest, I'd trade my fluctuating 50/5 connection for a rock solid stable 5/2. When I first got broadband it was DSL at 1.5Mbps/384Kbps. At the time it was good. A few years later the ISP offered us 3Mbps/1Mbps for a few more dollars and I took them up on it. It sucked hard core. Had so many more DC's and modem desynchs that I traded internet and phone for Cable TV, Internet and Phone. The DSL provider tried to sell me 6/3 after I went to cable and I had to ask them, why would I upgrade when they couldn't provide reliable connection at the lower bandwidth rates. When they couldn't answer that satisfactorily I told them, if they wanted my money again to bring me fiber or leave me alone.

Last edited:

I don't know if the internet connection has anything to do with your own speed and physics on track though, without factoring in other cars. Whether you are in a room alone at 3am on a Monday morning, or in a full room on Sunday afternoon when everyone else is racing, your hot laps shouldn't be affected. Do you notice a difference in driving physics and speed in those cases?

I did notice myself when I raced offline in time trials, my braking zones were deeper and I could carry more apex speed. The few times I did practice offline back when I joined SNAIL, I took those combos online, to empty rooms, because I didn't want to get in anyone's way, and went deep on those braking zones when I used the same markers.

I don't know if the internet connection has anything to do with your own speed and physics on track though, without factoring in other cars. Whether you are in a room alone at 3am on a Monday morning, or in a full room on Sunday afternoon when everyone else is racing, your hot laps shouldn't be affected. Do you notice a difference in driving physics and speed in those cases?

I did notice myself when I raced offline in time trials, my braking zones were deeper and I could carry more apex speed. The few times I did practice offline back when I joined SNAIL, I took those combos online, to empty rooms, because I didn't want to get in anyone's way, and went deep on those braking zones when I used the same markers.

Alone online is almost the same as offline. It isn't until the PS3 processor gets loaded up tracking others as well as you and trying to run more FLOPS than it's really capable of doing. It just doesn't have the low or high end grunt to do it.

Internet connections are a bit like FPS. At a solid 30 FPS your brain gets used to it and everything goes along just fine. Bump it to 60 solid and everything looks even smoother. Run it up to 120FPS and have it fluctuate by half or 75% and it's gonna' be unpleasant.

Latest Posts

Back