◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,412 comments
Thanks for all the stewards who put in overtime to get this week's incidents reviewed. :bowdown:

The results post has been updated with the official results from Sunday night.

@euclid58, @jamilla, and @WaLT_100R - you guys are on the clock!! Please try to make your selections asap so that we can have the combos ready for tonight's practice races.
An error in the results post has been discovered. It appears that the penalties did not change the order as they are supposed to so I'm going to redo the post. The prize winners are correct however, so prize winners please make your selections asap. I'll work on correcting the results in the meantime.

Guilty as charged. There was a mass carambolage at Indy Last Sunday, and the upper managements desire to do away with penalties in lower divisions led to some investigation by our Steward as to why all those ghosted cars were there in the first place.
I have never been involved in the I R process before and found it to be reassuringly well run ( like anything in SNAIL isn't ? :bowdown:). I will not go into detail but I apparently ( my system says I can't watch my replay ? )caused the mayhem on lap one by shoving the car in front of me and then subsequently running into the kitty litter. Why I shoved him is not important...everyone has excuses..but the fact that neither he nor the following driver filed an IR on me is significant.

Our Division, like Most Divisions, talk things over between themselves and "sort things out" and only gross willful violations get reported. In and of itself this is not wrong...it makes for a relaxed racing atmosphere...but it is not allowing the system to work. The IR system can be used to clarify whether a move was allowable or not and as such it is a tool as well as a punitive system.

Case in point , our Prize A winner this week was not 100 percent sure if one of his race winning moves was absolutely squeaky clean. So he self reported the incident, which if proven to be not correct, would have cost him his First Prize A ( I believe this is true but I was out for a bit awhile back so I might have missed another ). I have raced with Euclid since I joined SNAIL and shared a 24 hour car with him....he is squeaky clean to a fault...and he DOES NOT...make ill advised moves, and if he inadvertently brushes your car you IMMEDIATELY hear...." Sorry" . Turns out he was correct in his move, but he reported himself just to be sure. That took guts, and it was the right thing to do. And the support he got on the D 6 conversation must have been gratifying.

That is how the system should be used. Do not be afraid to use it.

So nicely put. Also I would add that the reported person should actually appreciate the time and effort that the reporting person put into filing the IR. It does take time to watch the replay as well as analyze it. They do that to help you. I did not realize I (Mr_Smile) made so many damn bad mistakes until I got the IR filed against me.

The bottom line is, as long as the IR is filed with good intention, it is a lesson not just for the person being reported but for all to learn. We are humans and we make mistakes. In fast race where everything happens in milli-second, even aliens make mistakes lol. The important thing is recognizing it and more important thing is proactively seeking ways to resolve and not to repeat the same mistake.

As most of you know I was an Air Force pilot and the connection between flying and racing (not driving) is very strong as both required multiple mental and physical skills not needed or utilized in most other professions/avocations.
I usually refrain from posting Aviation on this thread but my group who flew with each other in Combat in SEA has a thread where we chew the fat, look for one we have lost touch with, post significant "finds". Here is one of them.

The link below is a Graduation Video from a Class in UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training...which lasts 53 weeks...Thus the Term "The Year of 53 Weeks"). It takes a student from USAF Academy, ROTC, and OTS (Officer Training School) and re-trains out aviation skills already learned, and retrains all to do it the Air Force way. Attrition used to be @ 15%. This, (thank God for Go-Pro which has allowed Instructors to record flights...thus the video) production captures the essence of the experience with AWESOME in flight photography. NONE OF THIS IS STAGED.

ENJOY...and thank God Kids still want to do this

Hey where do I make my vote?
Thanks for all the stewards who put in overtime to get this week's incidents reviewed. :bowdown:

The results post has been updated with the official results from Sunday night.

@euclid58, @jamilla, and @WaLT_100R - you guys are on the clock!! Please try to make your selections asap so that we can have the combos ready for tonight's practice races.[/QUOTE

Hey where do I make my vote on a combo?

As most of you know I was an Air Force pilot and the connection between flying and racing (not driving) is very strong as both required multiple mental and physical skills not needed or utilized in most other professions/avocations.
I usually refrain from posting Aviation on this thread but my group who flew with each other in Combat in SEA has a thread where we chew the fat, look for one we have lost touch with, post significant "finds". Here is one of them.

The link below is a Graduation Video from a Class in UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training...which lasts 53 weeks...Thus the Term "The Year of 53 Weeks"). It takes a student from USAF Academy, ROTC, and OTS (Officer Training School) and re-trains out aviation skills already learned, and retrains all to do it the Air Force way. Attrition used to be @ 15%. This, (thank God for Go-Pro which has allowed Instructors to record flights...thus the video) production captures the essence of the experience with AWESOME in flight photography. NONE OF THIS IS STAGED.

Wow this is super awesome!!! This can be a very cool interest for some who never get to know aviation. At least now that interest pops up in my head by just watching your video.

@WaLT_100R you'd have to go back the results post to see how the Prize C pick works.

Here it is in all its glory;

The round that received the second most elimination votes was:
Round 1 - Acura Integra Type R '01 (Sport Hard tires) at Autumn Ring (7 laps)
This means either the car or the track will be replaced for next week's line-up. Since @jamilla gets Prize B, he has the option to "freeze" the car or the track, or he can give that option to the Prize C winner. If he gives the "freeze" away, then he gets to decide what car or track replaces the part of the combo that is left unfrozen by the Prize C winner.

Prize C goes to @WaLT_100R so he gets whichever option the Prize B winner does not select.

Don't know if this
I would like to freeze Autumn Ring.
will still hold, but @jamilla will need to confirm. If the above remains jamilla's choice you will be picking a car to race at Autumn Ring. Might want to do some testing and get ready.

@zer05ive and @JLBowler, do we need to make a deadline where jamilla's choice stands and we can get on with combo picking, picture taking, banner making, practice goodness?

Last edited:
As far as I know, people on probation can still win prizes, however i think they should not.

EX: I have 3 weeks probation for my bone head mistake, therefore I should have to race clean for 3 weeks before being eligible for another prize

This could help with cleaning up some driving because they would have to consistently if they want any in influence on combo selection, because in all honesty d7 was not very clean all night long, many new guys, and many other irs could have been filed, and I think this could help people check themselves
We can definitely have a discussion about whether or not people on probation should be able to win prizes, but before we get into that, you do realize that penalties have to be given to a driver in order for them to be put on probation, right? Throwing your division under the bus for for not being clean all night long isn't going to get any of them on probation, so whether or not drivers on probation can earn prizes or not would have zero chance of affecting the racing in your division anyways.

Next time you want to complain about your division being dirty, read this and do something about it. If you start doing your part to promote clean racing (by filing IR's) but still don't see any improvements, bring up your probation suggestion again and we can revisit it at that time. 👍

Last edited:

Cool video. I think my favorite maneuver in formation flying is the rejoin, breaks are cool to. Actually, formation flying is just plain cool!

I would file an IR if I deem the incident was due to bad race craft. If it was just an honest mistake from a good driver I usually don't see that as malicious and dont file an IR.
true ... but remember the room steward has the right to review all races and submit his own IRs if he sees that things are getting out of hand (even if we agree that it was just a dumb ass move due to inexperience (like mine) in our Division discussion). That is how I got "nabbed"...sort like a "Speeding Camera"....( I'll bet Dragon has never been called a Dirty Rotten Speeding CAMERA before. LOL). And...it certainly works...got my attention. I have NEVER had an IR submitted, until now. I was already on my best behavior ...now I'm not paranoid...they ARE watching and...I'm gonna be better because I know it. :rolleyes:

Euclid and I were both distinguished graduates from the Pardon me, Excuse me, School of Passing....except he's faster damn it.

We can definitely have a discussion about whether or not people on probation should be able to win prizes, but before we get into that, you do realize that penalties have to be given to a driver in order for them to be put on probation, right? Throwing your division under the bus for for not being clean all night long isn't going to get any of them on probation, so whether or not drivers on probation can earn prizes or not would have zero chance of affecting the racing in your division anyways.

Next time you want to complain about your division being dirty, read this and do something about it. If you start doing your part to promote clean racing (by filing IR's) but still don't see any improvements, bring up your probation suggestion again and we can revisit it at that time. 👍

This is very old news ( over 2 1/2 years ago) and really needs to be addressed!
"Race craft, space craft!"

??? :confused: that comment seems sarcastic, but you exhibit good racecraft. I'm confused. :ill:

As far as I know, people on probation can still win prizes, however i think they should not.

EX: I have 3 weeks probation for my bone head mistake, therefore I should have to race clean for 3 weeks before being eligible for another prize

This could help with cleaning up some driving because they would have to consistently if they want any in influence on combo selection, because in all honesty d7 was not very clean all night long, many new guys, and many other irs could have been filed, and I think this could help people check themselves

In the beginning we had no IR'S. When the penalty system was implemented there was a short discussion regarding drivers who received penalties still rewarded with prizes.

In the beginning we had no IR'S. When the penalty system was implemented there was a short discussion regarding drivers who received penalties still rewarded with prizes.
Oh. Ok. I just assumed if a person was on probation, no prize could be won.
If a person can win a prize while on probation, then what is probation? What's its purpose?

Oh. Ok. I just assumed if a person was on probation, no prize could be won.
If a person can win a prize while on probation, then what is probation? What's its purpose?

BINGO! Ruin the whole rooms night and win a tee shirt!!!
IR's IMO have never done anything to clean up the racing. IMO, if the OLR was enforced, we would never have to file IR's!
Please bring back the tally sheet of penalty points awarded to drivers!

Last edited:
IR's IMO have never done anything to clean up the racing. IMO, if the OLR was enforced, we would never have to file IR's!

Yeah, setting out the rules and enforcing it can be a good thing. Fish-slapping, putting offenders/violations on probation is a very good enforcement process.

However, not all mistakes are intentional. We know passing has to be clean and incident free but there are also so much variations going on in a race that the sometimes drivers don't make the right decisions quick enough in mili-second.

Setting up and enforcing clean racing has been so far so good. In addition to this, I would suggest we make videos demonstrating excellent pass and clean racing. We can do this by extracting the epic passes and clean racing from many available replays. The video would be accompanied with some commentary/discussion from a already fast/clean driver. It would be even better if we have comparison and contrast between excellent clean pass vs. dirty racing in the same corner in the same track. We can have a separate video created by a fast clean driver sharing their thinking process of how to executing an excellent pass such as where to pass, timing the pass... with demonstration from parts of the replays.

These will be great resources to promote clean racing, to educate new-comers on clean racing and to let everyone of us look back and review when we make mistake. Once everyone is educated with time and practice, we will all improve to become better and cleaner drivers, then our police will have to work less. It is a win/win to all. I believe many of us who are looking to learn and improve will greatly appreciate SNAIL considering this suggestion.

Last I recall, some time ago, admittedly, that data is out there.

Looking forward to your suggestion on how, who, etc, and penalties, on what you believe 'enforcement' should look like. Lots of details to cover, should make for illuminating discussions.

And FWIW- if someone is penalized, they pretty much ain't winning anything that week.

Race clean next week - who's race got ruined?

Back