◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,417 comments
+1 with Rally, @kcheeb can set whatever time works for him, or the new member/divisional assignment guy, if that ever exists.

New guy? KCheeb has done such a good job with it that he would be very hard if not impossible to replace in that duty. If he ever did want to give it up, I would love a chance to do it myself. Of course KCheeb would have to train me before I would feel comfortable trying to do it myself.

He shouldn't have been racing at all Sunday night. KCheeb mentioned it a few posts back. He didn't run a time trial and wasn't placed in a division. I'm going to assume he wasn't on the official driver list either which means the division director should have caught it and got him out of the room.

With all the last minute shuffling, it's just another reason to create a deadline for new members to apply to be able to race on Sunday. I suggested something here that could work:

In defense of the director for D6, I know when SFCJoeMe came in the room, he typed that "so and so" said it was okay for him to be in D6. I don't remember who he said approved him, but it didn't go any further than that. There was a lot of commotion at the beginning with all the new people and other stuff going on.

@ptslopoke looks as if your selection is invalid. Looking at the voting form sunday night, and looking into the points it seems as you would recieve prize b. Prize B is changing either the track or the car from combo 1. Which is the Subie S206 @ deep forrest.

@criscr It looks as you recieved the Prize a selection. Please make your selection before Thursday night practice. Practice is at 9:30EST/6:30PST.

Joe, I get what your saying. I've had grudge races aka street races for cash that were stemmed from crap talk. Some that had went on for years before a race was done. These races are way more emotional, real, gut turning, nerve racking..... The whole thing coming down to one moment. It comes time to put your money where your mouth is and hope you brought enough hp to get the win.

While I've had some races where there was many aspects that equaled real life completion. The lack of getting hurt and in my case going to jail separated it substantial.

SIM Racing is awesome and still brings many of the emotions real world racing does. However it will never be the same.

Anyway here is a video from last nights fun in the snow. It was -40 wind chill so didn't stay out to long. Just needed to get my fix. :)

Enjoy:

@criscr - please make your Prize A selection to replace the Subaru at Deep Forest. Page 1, as usual, has the key links on 100,000 credits or less, and so on.

@ptslopoke - you may replace either the Mustang BOSS 302 - OR - Apricot Hill. If you replace the car, same 100,000 credit limit applies.

It appears that he got some bad information from Handlebar. Bad Handlebar, bad. :D

It appears that he got some bad information from Handlebar. Bad Handlebar, bad. :D

I totally buggered up that one - teach me to not double check. Sorry!

@ptslopoke looks as if your selection is invalid. Looking at the voting form sunday night, and looking into the points it seems as you would recieve prize b.
Prize B is changing either the track or the car from combo 1.

Which is the Subie S206 OR deep forest.

@criscr It looks as you recieved the Prize A selection. Please make your selection before Thursday night practice. Practice is at 9:30EST/6:30PST.

You are replacing the BOSS 302/Apricot Hill.

My apologies, guys.

I'm not complaining here but this guy was way faster than anybody in the division 6 and he made his way to the 1st place in a ''bumpy'' way, i've seen i'm pass people in really thight spot we're bumping have or could have happened, as i said i'm not complaining cause i didn't see any crash, but having that much of a advantage he could have made is way to the front more ''smoothly''
Also he was running the wrong tires for the first race. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, just want to put that out there.

Noob question here. What is the best

Also he was running the wrong tires for the first race. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, just want to put that out there.

You need to be more specific when you say what is best. What are you referring to?

I didn't say it wasn't, I said it can be. It's the reaction of the person experiencing it that determines how much pressure there is.

Take Michael Jordan, arguably one of the best at rising to the occasion (dealing with his own reactions), and sit him in my man cave and tell him he's racing against 15 other people all of whose experience is potentially in his hands and tell me he won't have adrenalin coursing through his veins ...
Yes, just not nearly as much as when he had to make a game winning shot in the championships in front of millions.

Yes, just not nearly as much as when he had to make a game winning shot in the championships in front of millions.
Do you really think he was sweating all those millions of people when he took that shot? Or really any of them he's made like that? Probably not. He was probably zoned into the game, everyone and thing around him outside of the people he is playing with/against, tuned out of his mind. he would have been in the game, worried perhaps of missing the shot, but I really doubt he was worried about the fans watching.

I can agree with this. I experience this every single time I climb behind my rig or i'm behind the wheel at a HPDE event. But I must say the adrenalin going thru me when i'm fender to fender or pushing the Caddy to the limit on the track is much higher than when im in my rig. There have been a few race with greenthumb that have almost had me to that limit.

Pressure is something that all competitors in any competition have to deal with. How much pressure and how it affects anyone is entirely up to the individual. The stage has nothing to do with how much pressure is on someone unless the individual allows the stage to affect them.

@ptslopoke looks as if your selection is invalid. Looking at the voting form sunday night, and looking into the points it seems as you would recieve prize b. Prize B is changing either the track or the car from combo 1. Which is the Subie S206 @ deep forrest.

@criscr It looks as you recieved the Prize a selection. Please make your selection before Thursday night practice. Practice is at 9:30EST/6:30PST.

Woops! Well hang on then, let me play around with a few combos to see what might work best. Sorry for the false start.

Considering Handlebar goes above and beyond for pretty much everyone here, I think we just MIGHT let this one slide;)

Do you really think he was sweating all those millions of people when he took that shot? Or really any of them he's made like that? Probably not. He was probably zoned into the game, everyone and thing around him outside of the people he is playing with/against, tuned out of his mind. he would have been in the game, worried perhaps of missing the shot, but I really doubt he was worried about the fans watching.

Thank you @Rallywagon 👍

In defense of the director for D6, I know when SFCJoeMe came in the room, he typed that "so and so" said it was okay for him to be in D6. I don't remember who he said approved him, but it didn't go any further than that. There was a lot of commotion at the beginning with all the new people and other stuff going on.

EDIT: meant to reply to your post @KTR5. I don't know who said it was okay for him to go to D6, but of the people that could have made that decision, none did. I think he took it on himself, seeing as the room numbers were posted.

Most of the confusion that happened Sunday was caused by me, no malice aforethought. It could have been averted, but I didn't take action. I won't let that happen again and I apologize.

@JLBowler be careful what you wish for :D

Last edited:
Very nice debate and some excellent views being put forth.

No denying that what we do has levels. Some are immersed deeper with rigs and paraphanilia. These things just add depth to the SIM experience.

To say the guy on his couch using a DS3 is immersed and feeling what I do in my rig would be redicuous.

No denying that what we do has levels. Some are immersed deeper with rigs and paraphanilia. These things just add depth to the SIM experience.

To say the guy on his couch using a DS3 is immersed and feeling what I do in my rig would be redicuous.
I disagree a bit, but I will need a moment to formulate my response as to why.

So, I am not sure I follow that thought train Owens. I mean, I guess I can't argue (edit, I guess I can...) about the immersion. Imean, steering with a stick, or accelerating with a button isn't as immersive as grabbing a wheel and using me feet on pedals. However, I think that is because I have to preconvieved preception that that is how a car is driven. However, if I use a DS3 to do a flight SIM, I will probably find myself nearly as immersed as if I had a yoke and thottle, as they are quite similar. So, if someone who is 14 and has never driven, and as such, doesn't hold the same conventions about driving as me, could possibly be just as immersed. I think there are very few things that really, unequvically add to actual immersion. Sound and visual. Anything else is a sort of "learned immersion," if you will.

Last edited:

I agree completely with what Owens is saying. When you have triples, Butt kickers, in properly setup rig, playing on your couch with a DS3 the level of immersion is completely different. PD bring us triple support ASAP.

@JLBowler be careful what you wish for :D

Bring it on @kcheeb I can handle it.

To the good athlete/driver/whatever, competing/performing in front of 100k people is just like competing/performing in an empty gym/stadium/track/whatever. Speaking as a former professional athlete (bowler) the big stages were never any different than practicing by myself at home. The only pressure I ever felt was the pressure I put on myself to execute every shot to the best of my ability. Crowds didn't bother me (and I've been in front of some pretty big ones), noise didn't bother me. Nothing added any pressure to what I was doing except what I put on myself.

I really think he was in the adrenalin-damn-pumping zone this is the big damn shot and the entire city of Chicago and my millions of fans are counting on me zone.

I think it's a slightly different zone on the couch in your living room. Just a little...

I disagree a bit, but I will need a moment to formulate my response as to why.

So, I am not sure I follow that thought train Owens. I mean, I guess I can't argue (edit, I guess I can...) about the immersion. Imean, steering with a stick, or accelerating with a button isn't as immersive as grabbing a wheel and using me feet on pedals. However, I think that is because I have to preconvieved preception that that is how a car is driven. However, if I use a DS3 to do a flight SIM, I will probably find myself nearly as immersed as if I had a yoke and thottle, as they are quite similar. So, if someone who is 14 and has never driven, and as such, doesn't hold the same conventions about driving as me, could possibly be just as immersed. I think there are very few things that really, unequvically add to actual immersion. Sound and visual. Anything else is a sort of "learned immersion," if you will.

Agreed 100%. I drive all the time in real life, but I've never driven a car to its limits on a track before. As a result, my brain didn't really associate what I was doing on the DS3 with "driving". I was still totally immersed in the competition, I just wasn't using the same muscle memory as I would if I was driving. That's what makes transitioning to the wheel difficult. You have to completely reprogram your muscle memory. Before getting the wheel I knew how to drive, and I knew how to race on GT, but my brain didn't associate the two things.

However, now that I'm getting used to the wheel, I imagine going back to the stick would feel very fake.

I really think he was in the adrenalin-damn-pumping zone this is the big damn shot and the entire city of Chicago and my millions of fans are counting on me zone.

I think it's a slightly different zone on the couch in your living room. Just a little...
IDK man. At that level, things just happen. Before the game, I am sure that nerves and stress and all of that are there. But once that buzzer sounds and the game is one, your mind goes, and your training takes over. Things just happen. Not being him, the best either of us can do is speculate from our own experiences. My experience tells me that in the down time, that is when stress is there, but when in action, my conscious mind is a million miles away, and my body and unconscious mind is reacting to what is going on. While in the Army, I competed in a lot of "combatives" tournies. BAsically, MMA fights, though the rules were quite a bit more restrictive. About 30 miniutes before a match is when I would start to feel it in my nerves, walking out onto the mat, man, adreniline FLYING, hands sweaty and shaking. Then the ref yells fight, and I would just let go, any nervesness, any doubts, stress, all lost in the moment of the battle. MY mind would go blank and my body would take over. JuJitsu, despite what it looks like on the surface, is quite a bit like chess. So it's not so much as I let my mind go, but more like, I'm in the heat of battle, trust what I've trained, and do what I gotta do. Then after the fight, the thrill would return. Sweaty palms, shakey, stressed. But during a fight, there was only ever me and the guy I was fighting. No ref, no crowd. I barely registered my coachs, guiding me from the corner. A good race with snail, it can get me right there.
I think the big thing everyone is missing though, is the human element. I mean, we can conjecture about what some pro athlete feels while competing until we are blue in the face. But everyone's experiences are different. Someone who hasn't trained to be an athelete will no doubt have all those anxieties we are talking about when taking the field for whatever sport. I would imagine, that a lot of atheletes would feel the same stresses when it was finals time. It is all about percepetion. You might think that throwing a football for a touch down in the last few seconds of the quarter, on the last down of a drive is the msot stressful spot to be in. Doubt the Volconalogist though would feel the same.

Cool. Agree to disagree ;)
smiley-laughing024.gif

Back