◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,668 comments
Just some quick photo tips for all you new photographers.

Try to shoot with the sun behind you so the subject is well lit.

To get a better sense of speed, shoot at 1/60th shutter speed and panning mode 3. This will blur the wheels, ground and background a bit to give the viewer the feeling of speed. Otherwise the vehicle may be going 100mph but it looks like it's standing still.

If you must shoot from the shadowed side of the car, bump up the EV to a point where you get more detail from the underexposed areas. I have noticed that the photo engine of the game tends to underexpose...so you may want to bump all your photos up a bit as a rule.

Don't be afraid to shoot tight...really tight. It ups the drama of racing situations. Unless the point is to shoot wide for effect of course ;)

If there are multiple vehicles in the shot, don't be afraid to up the F-stop to 18 or 22 if you want to see more details in vehicles further away from the actual focus point.

On the other hand, separate the subject from everyone else by throwing the F-stop to under 2.8. This will blur almost anything else out except the focus point.

Feel free to shoot from a lower position. It makes the subjects appear larger than life.

Crash photos in general aren't very cool. No one likes to see themselves crashing. And the game replay engine doesn't make it look very realistic anyways. Focus on what people want to see...positive images of themselves.

If anyone has any question about photography, I am an actual, real-life photographer. I know, you're thinking "how is this possible?" but it's true. I own a camera AND take photos. And I have sold at least one photo in the millions of images I have taken which qualifies anyone as a professional. Someone was actually happy with a photo I took and bought it. So hey, now I'm a Pro...forever ;)

Some snark implied...but I do like taking photos so feel free to ask questions. And I own a sports photography business in Florida.

Last edited:
JoeW is right. The higher the F-stop, the more depth of field you will get in focus.
I once took a pic of my dog and one of my mother's stuffed animal lions, with the dog about 12 foot behind the lion, the lion was not nearly as big as the dog, in the pic however they both appear near the same size and both in focus. Had to run the F-stop up and the shutter speed way down to get it. Old Pentax K1000 badged as a Sears 35mm SLR. If I can find it, I'll scan it and post it as an example.

Can't say I've ever sold a picture to anyone, but I do have some formal training and small experience with photography. I did get paid to take some pictures, when I was a teenager in Cali. About a thousand years ago that seems.

Just a some quick photo tips for all you new photographers.

Try to shoot with the sun behind you so the subject is well lit.

To get a better sense of speed, shoot at 1/60th shutter speed and panning mode 3. This will blur the wheels, ground and background a bit to give the viewer the feeling of speed. Otherwise the vehicle may be going 100mph but it looks like it's standing still.

If you must shoot from the shadowed side of the car, bump up the EV to a point where you get more detail from the underexposed areas. I have noticed that the photo engine of the game tends to underexpose...so you may want to bump all your photos up a bit as a rule.

Don't be afraid to shoot tight...really tight. It ups the drama of racing situations. Unless the point is to shoot wide for effect of course ;)

If there are multiple vehicles in the shot, don't be afraid to up the F-stop to 18 or 22 if you want to see more details in vehicles further away from the actual focus point.

On the other hand, separate the subject from everyone else by throwing the F-stop to under 2.8. This will blur almost anything else out except the focus point.

Feel free to shoot from a lower position. It makes the subjects appear larger than life.

Crash photos in general aren't very cool. No one likes to see themselves crashing. And the game replay engine doesn't make it look very realistic anyways. Focus on what people want to see...positive images of themselves.

If anyone has any question about photography, I am an actual, real-life photographer. I know, you're thinking "how is this possible?" but it's true. I own a camera AND take photos. And I have sold at least one photo in the millions of images I have taken which qualifies anyone as a professional. Someone was actually happy with a photo I took and bought it. So hey, now I'm a Pro...forever ;)

Some snark implied...but I do like taking photos so feel free to ask questions.
Good tips. I guess I am technically a professional photographer as well! Also an "Award Winning" photographer... :lol:

Here is a quick example of how depth of field changes with aperture size. As you can see, with a very large aperture (f/2) the clip is in focus and the background is very out of focus. At a smaller aperture (f/16) the clip is still in focus but the background is not as soft as before. If you took the same shot with a smaller aperture (f/22 for example) the background would be even more in focus.

Depth_of_Field_Comparison1.jpg

Another example:

444004712_640.jpg

I was gonna say...
Nice angles but way too underexposed
I have noticed that the photo engine of the game tends to underexpose...so you may want to bump all your photos up a bit as a rule.

I went back to PS and have to say that those images are brighter there.
In fact I'm ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) in Photoshop, but since they was just good on screen I didn't Photoshop any...
I'll pay more attention on next ones.

PS.: I'm using the same device (LED) plugged on my PS and MacBook Pro and they are really too way dark (underexpose) on my Mac/Photoshop.

im Thinking About Getting A G27 Within The Next 2 Months, Anyone Know Of Where I Should Look For The best $$$

Last edited:
I went back to PS and have to say that those images are brighter there.
In fact I'm ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) in Photoshop, but since they was just good on screen I didn't Photoshop any...
I'll pay more attention on next ones.

PS.: I'm using the same device (LED) plugged on my PS and MacBook Pro and they are really too way dark (underexpose) on my Mac/Photoshop.
If they appear underexposed after I get it on my PC I just throw them in Lightroom (I'm a sports photographer so no need for full PS) and bump up a few things to get where I need.

I use Photoshop at home but at work and on other computers I always suggest GIMP... it's a great free image editor that's quite powerful and full-featured.

Started using this recently to do paint work on iRacing. Decent software. Prefer PS, but my only copy is on my other desktop that I don't use at all. Need to chase a cough cracked version of a newer PS. Or just break down and pay to play.

Started using this recently to do paint work on iRacing. Decent software. Prefer PS, but my only copy is on my other desktop that I don't use at all. Need to chase a cough cracked version of a newer PS. Or just break down and pay to play.
Before my brother graduated from college I had him buy me a copy of CS6 extented. Cheap with student discount and don't have to worry about authentication or any of that other stuff. I used CS2 before that and that now resides on a backup laptop at home

PS license agreement allows it to be installed on two computers;)

lol damn I'm scared to post my pics now. Gonna be handed my ass if these photos arent right haha
Post them no-one should be critical and you may get some good advice. Plus I may like them and use them for the banners.

We have about 3/4" snow - any reason I should not use my 1/10 RC car?
Speaking of snow, I'm on the runway about to take off from Denver and head back home. Just wrapped up an awesome vacation at Steamboat where I rode fresh powder and taught my daughter how to ski. Nothing quite as rewarding as that combo. :D

To top it all of, I stopped by Vail on the way back to Denver and enjoyed an epic breakfast with @AJKVail. Other than the guys I started the league with, he's the first SNAIL I've had the opportunity to meet in person. We tried to get @Skills to meet up with is too, but he had a scheduling conflict (we'll get you next time, Skills!)

Alan, thanks for taking the time to meet up with me and thanks so much for your hospitality. Next time we meet up, it'll be on the slopes! :)

I use Photoshop at home but at work and on other computers I always suggest GIMP... it's a great free image editor that's quite powerful and full-featured.
I use PS Elements for any other basic crap I need to do. Oftentimes it's bundled with other things for free.

I don't actually do graphic creation. I only do editing of existing photos I take. Which is why Lightroom is my "go to" program. If someone buys a poster or something then I have a completely different program for this that is much more powerful for making collages, posters, adding text and colors etc. But for basic tasks like horizons, cropping and basic enhancing of hundreds of photos at a time, Lightroom can't be beat.

Division 7 Race Recap
Race 1 & 2
Autodromo Nazionale Monza.jpg

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_1.jpg

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_2.jpg
@tevesh2 and @Pifachu clearing the smoke from a spin out
Autodromo Nazionale Monza_4.jpg

Race 5 & 6
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit.jpg
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_1.jpg

I was stalking @USERID_77a23 for once during the race....
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_2.jpg
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_3.jpg

Wanted to get @Pifachu back from last week :)
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_4.jpg

I gotta give major credit to @USERID_77a23 he stalked his prey every race and waited for you to make a mistake.
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_5.jpg
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_6.jpg
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_7.jpg

Race 3 & 4
Suzuka Circuit_7.jpg
Suzuka Circuit_8.jpg

Constructive criticism is appreciated. I know someone mentioned that crash pics aren't their style but some arent that bad

Last edited:
Back