◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,412 comments
what is this it's hard for me to see it on mobile didn't mean to quote slopoke

It's a poster apparently; "it includes the Isle of Man TT course (that’s the huge Xbox controller round the outside,) Pikes Peak, Le Mans, the Nordschleife and some F1 circuits that look tiny in comparison."

I only found out about it today :lol:

I just ordered this as a poster to hang up in my new room/racing cave next semester.

I'm contemplating doing the same :D

D4 drivers who are making suggestions. Do NOT post a car you are thinking about suggesting. Only make one post with your suggestion. Multiple suggestions will void all the suggestions you made. If you post the name of a car, it is your suggestion.
Sorry, didn't see a guideline on car suggestions. I've edited my post :)

In the sake of simplicity, we could have D7 and D8 and WC only have 1 entry. That will make it 15 exactly.
Can everyone here tentatively confirm if you are able to race on Friday Night 9:30-10PM EST start time.

I have yet to hear from D4,D7 and WC. Area 51 and D8 are fully represented so far. Please let me know soonest if you are able to race this Friday 04/04.

D1
fizzer -- Confirmed
martin20az -- Confirmed

D2
ptslopoke -- Cannot Maket it :nervous: (2nd slot opens up)
chuyler1 -- Cannot Make it - (Next in line is @serge19)

D3
@Xradkins ?
Troggy -- Positively Uncertain

D4
@Daniel Pinho ?
@CanuckleheadII ?

D5
hooker4 -- Cannot Make it :( (one slot opens up - Taken by Elsbury)
FloydC3 -- Confirmed

D6
TEX36 -- Confirmed
@ExoSphere64 ?

D7
@rob1nh000d ? -- would love to, no matter how poor I might look (maybe I can rob some race gold from someone and give it to the poor) :)
@singlepaddy ?

D8
deaconblues82-- Confirmed
elsbury2 -- Confirmed

WC
@GranStand Bill ?
Neovre -- Cannot challenge Area 51 sadly :(

Last edited:
In the sake of simplicity, we could have D7 and D8 and WC only have 1 entry. That will make it 15 exactly.
Can everyone here tentatively confirm if you are able to race on Friday Night 9:30-10PM EST start time.

I have yet to hear from D4,D7 and WC. Area 51 and D8 are fully represented so far. Please let me know soonest if you are able to race this Friday 04/04.

D1
fizzer -- Confirmed
martin20az -- Confirmed

D2
ptslopoke -- Cannot Maket it :nervous: (2nd slot opens up)
chuyler1 -- Cannot Make it - (Next in line is @serge19)

D3
@Xradkins ?
Troggy -- Positively Uncertain

D4
@Daniel Pinho ?
@CanuckleheadII ?

D5
hooker4 -- Cannot Make it :( (one slot opens up - Taken by Elsbury)
FloydC3 -- Confirmed

D6
TEX36 -- Confirmed
@ExoSphere64 ?

D7
@rob1nh000d ?
@singlepaddy ?

D8
deaconblues82-- Confirmed
elsbury2 -- Confirmed

WC
@GranStand Bill ?
Neovre -- Cannot challenge Area 51 sadly :(

I am sorry that I do not know how to respond to this, do I post a separate new post or reply to this list? The former seems less distruptive to the process. Anyway, I would love to participate, no matter how poor my results might be --even two laps down, I'll keep going--, I think it is an honor to race with these top level drivers and only hope that it will help my knowledge and ability in racing and that I don't disrupt someone else's race. THANKS !

This is referred to as the "Divebomb"

Well, actually ...... I start braking later than the driver immediately in front of my car. And, as it happened Sunday night, I hit the back of his car hard enough to send him off the track at Turn 1 - Spa. :boggled:
Knowing when to brake in close proximity is, apparently, a learned skill.:dunce:

Well, actually ...... I start braking later than the driver immediately in front of my car. And, as it happened Sunday night, I hit the back of his car hard enough to send him off the track at Turn 1 - Spa. :boggled:
Knowing when to brake in close proximity is, apparently, a learned skill.:dunce:

That it is. It's something I'm still working on, although I've gotten a lot better than I used to be. One thing I do, especially if the draft is a factor, is let off the gas early and coast before the braking zone. If I'm not trying to out-brake the guy in front, this allows our speeds to normalize so I don't have to adjust my braking point as much.

I remember that turn. I was braking early and gently. Tried to keep my distance to the car in front. Then came a hard tap. It's okay, though, TEX.

That it is. It's something I'm still working on, although I've gotten a lot better than I used to be. One thing I do, especially if the draft is a factor, is let off the gas early and coast before the braking zone. If I'm not trying to out-brake the guy in front, this allows our speeds to normalize so I don't have to adjust my braking point as much.

@racefan78 I've tried this let off the gas early, and it has helped more, however, I remember each time I did it that I was suddenly, desperately asking myself 'HOW EARLY!!!' . I am sure the first response would be 'it depends on the situation'. But could you try to maybe be a little more specific about this technique, is it kind of about 50 feet before the turn (like at the end of the long straight at SPA), or maybe 25 feet early, or are we talking USUALLY only about 10 feet before the turn, or when you are within 10 feet of the ahead car? Is a a very last instance thing, or a slow drawn out thing. Sorry. Is there a rule of thumb to kind of gauge when to let off the gas or, maybe, some cues, or racing points that you use to make it consistent. To be competitive, also, do you still let your speed be a little more, or match their speed exactly, or a little less than their speed? Then once you have the relative speed under control (for about what duration of time), do you wait to see their brake light come on and then mash your brakes as fast as possible--like me? (ready to swerve around them if they mess up in some way that allows space to pass?) I am sure that you fast drivers must even have good brake control in this situation.

Last edited:
I remember that turn. I was braking early and gently. Tried to keep my distance to the car in front. Then came a hard tap. It's okay, though, TEX.

Very sorry about that "tap", as you call it. Really put both of us in the caboose. Bad enough that my race should be messed up - but really hate to mess up another man's race, any time.

Very sorry about that "tap", as you call it. Really put both of us in the caboose. Bad enough that my race should be messed up - but really hate to mess up another man's race, any time.

I didn't do really well the whole night in general. I was surprised that I qualified 2nd at Spa.

Thank you for making your choice. Now it's up to @AG07WRXTR to pick a car to race at Deep Forest. Since he appears to be MIA, if you raced in D4 this Sunday night March 30, you may make one (1) suggestion for a car to race at Deep Forest. If you make more than one suggestion, all of your suggestions will be voided. The suggestion window will close 11 hours from now which will be 11:59 PM ET. At that point, voting will be open to everyone that raced in any division Sunday night March 30.

Of course, all of this is thrown out the window if AG07WRXTR jumps in and picks a car.

Drivers who raced in D4 are as follows: @llNovall , @ATLskydiver @Daniel Pinho @rankings18 @chatva @CanuckleheadII @GTP_unleashed @DMacs13 @Wardenclyffe @whatbadgerseat @shmibal_GT @Mark II
Should it be needed, my vote is for the Mazda Cosmo Sport somebody else mentioned.

@racefan78 I've tried this let off the gas early, and it has helped more, however, I remember each time I did it that I was suddenly, desperately asking myself 'HOW EARLY!!!' . I am sure the first response would be 'it depends on the situation'. But could you try to maybe be a little more specific about this technique, is it kind of about 50 feet before the turn (like at the end of the long straight at SPA), or maybe 25 feet early, or are we talking USUALLY only about 10 feet before the turn, or when you are within 10 feet of the ahead car? Is a a very last instance thing, or a slow drawn out thing. Sorry. Is there a rule of thumb to kind of gauge when to let off the gas or, maybe, some cues, or racing points that you use to make it consistent. To be competitive, also, do you still let your speed be a little more, or match their speed exactly, or a little less than their speed?

It depends on the situation! haha.

Seriously though, it does take a fair amount of trial and error to figure this out. The goal is to slow down gradually though, otherwise you risk being rear-ended. If I'm really sucking up to someone's bumper, but I know I won't have enough overlap to go for a pass, I will sometimes begin feathering the throttle as early as halfway down the straightaway. Basically my goal in that situation is to have equalized our speeds so that there is still a couple car-length gap between us when the leading driver reaches his breaking point. If I'm not sure where exactly the leading car's braking point is, I will leave a bigger gap just in case until I figure it out.

Keep in mind, this is not a passing maneuver, it is a position-holding maneuver. However, in can be used to set up a pass on certain turns. For instance, the last turn at Deep Forest requires a high exit speed to get a good run down the front straight. You can pass someone on corner exit if you lag behind them coming up to the turn, then utilize that gap to get a better run up to the turn.

Sorry for the wall of text. Moral of the story: You have to be thinking about clean racing, even when driving in a straight line.

@racefan78 I've tried this let off the gas early, and it has helped more, however, I remember each time I did it that I was suddenly, desperately asking myself 'HOW EARLY!!!' . I am sure the first response would be 'it depends on the situation'. But could you try to maybe be a little more specific about this technique, is it kind of about 50 feet before the turn (like at the end of the long straight at SPA), or maybe 25 feet early, or are we talking USUALLY only about 10 feet before the turn, or when you are within 10 feet of the ahead car? Is a a very last instance thing, or a slow drawn out thing. Sorry. Is there a rule of thumb to kind of gauge when to let off the gas or, maybe, some cues, or racing points that you use to make it consistent. To be competitive, also, do you still let your speed be a little more, or match their speed exactly, or a little less than their speed? Then once you have the relative speed under control (for about what duration of time), do you wait to see their brake light come on and then mash your brakes as fast as possible--like me? (ready to swerve around them if they mess up in some way that allows space to pass?) I am sure that you fast drivers must even have good brake control in this situation.
Well if you are hauling ass behind someone and you know the brake point is coming, just let off the gas and coast. Let the guy in front of you get a good car length or two in front of you. This gives you plenty of time to brake without punching him in the rear. AND you have time to react if the guy in front of you brakes earlier than usual. Your car will stop quicker if it goes from "coast to stop" instead of "full throttle to stop". The draft will keep your speed higher than you think. Sometimes I give my brakes a little tap to let the guy BEHIND me know that I am nearly ready to undergo hard braking.

If you don't feel comfortable staying behind someone at high speed just before a braking zone, sometimes I pull out of the draft to normalize my speed so I can utilize my normal brake markers. This eliminates any weird draft effects that can sometimes suck your car in closer than you'd like. I like to do this at the end of long straights like at Spa.

Just throwing my thoughts out there.

Edit...simulpost to racefan...hope the info is similar ;)

It depends on the situation! haha.

Seriously though, it does take a fair amount of trial and error to figure this out. The goal is to slow down gradually though, otherwise you risk being rear-ended. If I'm really sucking up to someone's bumper, but I know I won't have enough overlap to go for a pass, I will sometimes begin feathering the throttle as early as halfway down the straightaway. Basically my goal in that situation is to have equalized our speeds so that there is still a couple car-length gap between us when the leading driver reaches his breaking point. If I'm not sure where exactly the leading car's braking point is, I will leave a bigger gap just in case until I figure it out.

Keep in mind, this is not a passing maneuver, it is a position-holding maneuver. However, in can be used to set up a pass on certain turns. For instance, the last turn at Deep Forest requires a high exit speed to get a good run down the front straight. You can pass someone on corner exit if you lag behind them coming up to the turn, then utilize that gap to get a better run up to the turn.

Sorry for the wall of text. Moral of the story: You have to be thinking about clean racing, even when driving in a straight line.

WOW, WOW, WOW @racefan78 ! This is the kind of detailed racing technique that seems like it can help someone go from average to very good. I love all the new names I have not seen before "position-holding maneuver"! Man you guys really know what you are doing. How can I get more on this? Do you have any more to add? I am obviously saving each of these responses for further work on the track. THANKS.

WOW, WOW, WOW @racefan78 ! This is the kind of detailed racing technique that seems like it can help someone go from average to very good. I love all the new names I have not seen before "position-holding maneuver"! Man you guys really know what you are doing. How can I get more on this? Do you have any more to add? I am obviously saving each of these responses for further work on the track. THANKS.

No problem! Joe mentioned some good points in his post as well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or PM me.

I remember Spa at the chicane and I broke late against @ExoSphere64 at the chicane and was so worried I nailed him off the track. But thank goodness I didn't.

Well if you are hauling ass behind someone and you know the brake point is coming, just let off the gas and coast. Let the guy in front of you get a good car length or two in front of you. This gives you plenty of time to brake without punching him in the rear. AND you have time to react if the guy in front of you brakes earlier than usual. Your car will stop quicker if it goes from "coast to stop" instead of "full throttle to stop". The draft will keep your speed higher than you think. Sometimes I give my brakes a little tap to let the guy BEHIND me know that I am nearly ready to undergo hard braking.

If you don't feel comfortable staying behind someone at high speed just before a braking zone, sometimes I pull out of the draft to normalize my speed so I can utilize my normal brake markers. This eliminates any weird draft effects that can sometimes suck your car in closer than you'd like. I like to do this at the end of long straights like at Spa.

Just throwing my thoughts out there.

Edit...simulpost to racefan...hope the info is similar ;)

Thank you @JoeW. The idea of pulling out of the draft is something that I inadvertently find myself doing when I am exploring the possibility of maybe trying to make a pass up the inside (knowing that I need to get at least half way up their car for it to be legal). This has caused some bumping tho because, like me, some drivers situational awareness is still being developed. And this brings up the question of 'am I being too aggressive?'. In all honesty, I am trying to find a legal way to race, as in, really race to win, which I assume, is still a primary goal even when being conservative enough to not ruin someone else's race is also a primary goal. But isn't the inside pass, made legally, valid? And if they are partially or completely unaware of you being there then does that come under their situational awareness, like looking in the mirror and knowing when someone has come up fast enough and close enough that they might try the inside pass? And don't they have the option to drive a defensive line in this situation, which if you are already half way up their side, would be too late for them to resort to?

I might be rambling, but this is kind of how the thoughts shoot through my head when in an actual race, and I think I have discovered that part of improving is becoming conscious of what you are thinking and trying to break it down and deal with it in an orderly manner to become in control of yourself and master the situation. THANKS

No problem! Joe mentioned some good points in his post as well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or PM me.

@racefan78, I also love that you describe the whole technique, then how to use it in a specific corner, explain what category it actually goes in (not a passing maneuver), and THEN, how to change it to a passing maneuver by 'utilizing the gap'. Could you go a little more into how you utilize the gap to get a greater exit speed and pass them. I mean, they are already going their full speed, which if you are catching them in the first place, granted is a little slower than yours, but because you have slowed to allow the gap, you are essentially going at their pace, so how would you pull out of the bag (utilize the gap), at that point, a faster maneuver starting at their pace, only to magically pass them and once again deserve the title of Alien?

Other than to look up single answers on a variety of subjects, I have never used forums. I especially have never been involved in one forum in an on-going basis. There are a lot of features that I am not familiar with as far as the mechanisms available within a forum engine. So it might be hard for someone to understand why I would not know this, but, is having a conversation the same as a personal message, or do you do a personal message some other way in a forum, or can you only pm through the PlayStation Console under the friend menu choice outside the game itself?

Other than to look up single answers on a variety of subjects, I have never used forums. I especially have never been involved in one forum in an on-going basis. There are a lot of features that I am not familiar with as far as the mechanisms available within a forum engine. So it might be hard for someone to understand why I would not know this, but, is having a conversation the same as a personal message, or do you do a personal message some other way in a forum, or can you only pm through the PlayStation Console under the friend menu choice outside the game itself?
Look at the little comic book looking bubble icon right next to the notification flag. That's your pm icon.

The

The Mazda Roadster TC at Tsukuba but can't remember the rest. Just look through the last few pages and you will find the answer.
Deep Forest with car to be determined. Nominations included in the few posts above.
Thanks guys! :cheers:

I finally got my wheel!!!!:D:D:D
Anyone interested in some practice? I am looking to practice some racecraft beings that i have never used a wheel outside the past 2 hours.. :gtpflag:

Back