◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,413 comments
Are you able to edit that,because I dont want to submit multiple times? I did a quick run earlier. Going to try again later after lunch time.

Yes, I will edit to remove previous submissions. I won't be able to do it while at work, but I will in the evening each night.

It was my first racing night with D8. I must say it was a lot of fun. I managed to cross the finish line three out of the six races! My best lap was the first lap in Combo 3 reverse order. That race I would have come in second last, had I not had a massive spin out that then turned into another spin out as I tried getting back on the road again.... :(

I sill have a ton to learn. Looking forward to next Sunday. Is there any way I can get a orange "slow-moving vehicle" triangle on my cars?

I want to thank the various members that offered advice and tips all this week.

Last night I got dc'd at the very start of last race at Indy.
My question is because we hadn't even made the first corner and there was virtually no position change among the drivers could we have not restarted the race...or is it even possible?
When I got back online I was disappointed to see the race was still going.
I know I'm one of the slowest guys out there and probably wouldn't have finished that well anyway but it would have been nice to compete!!!

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Input a complaint, please.

Otherwise, grow a thicker skin rather than complain without specifics, but I appreciate the time and thoughts you put into a .....departing note.

With actual incidents that can be reviewed, Stewards can possibly take action if necessary. Without actual complaints... and no data/review, it's kinda hard.

Good luck.

It is my fault that I have not been filing incident reports - though the reason for this is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and look for their improvement through practice and Sunday nights. I am not an expert by any means, nor do I claim to have perfect race craft. One thing I always do though - if I make a mistake, I let off. If I see someone else get pushed off track due to lack of patience of the surrounding racers, I wait so they don’t race alone. I'm just trying to have fun and am increasingly finding Sunday nights to be less enjoyable. Maybe thicker skin is needed.

I appologize for complaing without specifics.

Thank you

Last night I got dc'd at the very start of last race at Indy.
My question is because we hadn't even made the first corner and there was virtually no position change among the drivers could we have not restarted the race...or is it even possible?
When I got back online I was disappointed to see the race was still going.
I know I'm one of the slowest guys out there and probably wouldn't have finished that well anyway but it would have been nice to compete!!!

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks
Races are not restarted if someone disconnects, even at the beginning. It sucks, I know! But that's just how it works. If we restarted races when people got disconnected we'd be racing for like 4 hours each Sunday.

It is my fault that I have not been filing incident reports - though the reason for this is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and look for their improvement through practice and Sunday nights. I am not an expert by any means, nor do I claim to have perfect race craft. One thing I always do though - if I make a mistake, I let off. If I see someone else get pushed off track due to lack of patience of the surrounding racers, I wait so they don’t race alone. I'm just trying to have fun and am increasingly finding Sunday nights to be less enjoyable. Maybe thicker skin is needed.

Thank you

I completely understand your attitude about filing Incident Reports. Have been with SNAIL for almost 2 years and it is still difficult for me to point the Finger of Error at someone else - when there is so much "wrong" with my own race craft. HOWEVER, the IRs aren't about me or about them (the offending driver) ...... it is about Accountability and Keeping SNAIL what we want it to be - Clean and Competitive Racing, Period.

If we, as drivers, do not face accountability for our errors ..... then there will be no improvement in that drivers' actions, or in the League in general.

So ........ the IRs are not about you - they are about SNAIL and our desire to provide an enjoyably competitive evening of racing.

Races are not restarted if someone disconnects, even at the beginning. It sucks, I know! But that's just how it works. If we restarted races when people got disconnected we'd be racing for like 4 hours each Sunday.
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure. I can understand during mid race when a dc happens I wouldn't expect the race to stop. But I was hoping at the beginning when no one is affected it could be done.
Not to be though.
Thanks

I completely understand your attitude about filing Incident Reports. Have been with SNAIL for almost 2 years and it is still difficult for me to point the Finger of Error at someone else - when there is so much "wrong" with my own race craft. HOWEVER, the IRs aren't about me or about them (the offending driver) ...... it is about Accountability and Keeping SNAIL what we want it to be - Clean and Competitive Racing, Period.

If we, as drivers, do not face accountability for our errors ..... then there will be no improvement in that drivers' actions, or in the League in general.

So ........ the IRs are not about you - they are about SNAIL and our desire to provide an enjoyably competitive evening of racing.

Thank you TEX, you are absolutely right. My reaction was quite immature and hasty. Frustration had reached a tipping point.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure. I can understand during mid race when a dc happens I wouldn't expect the race to stop. But I was hoping at the beginning when no one is affected it could be done.
Not to be though.
Thanks

One silver lining- you get last place points if you make it onto the starting grid before getting disconnected! It makes a huge difference over 0, especially if there are only a few people in your room. Make sure your scorekeeper gives you those last place points.

Not to be though.
Thanks
i just pretend its 'engine failure, race over' :P

@Tanner350z,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:
Rules read and acknowledged, time trial done I'll look forward to hearing from you

D6 score has been adjusted for last place points @singlepaddy in C3 R2. By the way what were you going to vote for so i can put it in pm me.

Edit: since I am co-scorekeeper @KTR5 and I worked on the score sheet since I also fixed the scoring for @singlepaddy should I put in a file to earn shells? I'm just curious so I know what to do next time when @KTR5 and I work on the score sheets. Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you TEX, you are absolutely right. My reaction was quite immature and hasty. Frustration had reached a tipping point.
Stick with It pirate. Ive been frustrated sometimes myself before and I know how you feel. With that being said I watched the replays several times and the only incident I saw the other driver conceited. So I know you got frustrated but its part of racing. Just keep your head up and we will see you next sunday.:cheers:

D6 score has been adjusted for last place points @singlepaddy in C3 R2. By the way what were you going to vote for so i can put it in pm me.

Edit: since I am co-scorekeeper @KTR5 and I worked on the score sheet since I also fixed the scoring for @singlepaddy should I put in a file to earn shells? I'm just curious so I know what to do next time when @KTR5 and I work on the score sheets. Thanks

@goofytyler, feel free to claim the $hells for "scorekeeper". I'll claim for the data.

Wouldn't that be something to put in GT6... Engine failures! It would definitely discourage people from banging the rev limiter at the starts, and you couldn't drop down the gears like some folks were doing with the Toyota in the hairpin!

Thank you
I just want to comment on something you said here, about finding Sunday nights increasingly less enjoyable. I know that others share this sentiment as well. My suggestion is to find another event to do in the week, check out the first post of this thread and check out the event calendar. Find a less stressful race to run. Otherwise you may end up burning yourself out. Thick skins abs all that aside, if your only racing experience throughout the week is stressful, either in practice, making sure you learn the new combos and the apparent added stress of rough driving, and then again in the Sunday event, then you're probably not going to enjoy the league for long. This league is not like any other league I have seen or been a part of, and it shows. We are the latest league on gtp, if not all of GT, we have produced top contenders and winners in the GTA, and have actual, real life prizes. The SNAIL Sunday race is as big as I think it gets on GT, and that really can ramp up the stress as well. I think anyone who is feeling the same as you needs to not take a step away from Sundays, but maybe away from so much practice. Take a night or two in the week and just let loose, however you like it. Whether it be some casual drifting, rally racing, some cat and mouse, or a trip around the ring in your favorite car. We all have a passion for racing, but if you don't balance the stress with enjoyment, the passion can sour quickly. Especially after a bad night on a Sunday.

Wouldn't that be something to put in GT6... Engine failures! It would definitely discourage people from banging the rev limiter at the starts, and you couldn't drop down the gears like some folks were doing with the Toyota in the hairpin!

With offline that would be ok. Online however, there's already enough with the network instability issues that can be considered "mechanical failures" to deal with, without adding that in the mix as well.

I don't pretend to know, or fool myself into assuming, that I have the experience to explain much about racing, or racing techniques to anyone in another division or my division, but I am always willing to share thoughts if I feel that I have had a similar situation that I have dealt with. It is also true that I have really needed instruction about not being too aggressive in the first turn of a race. Also, I hope you don't mind me using your question to throw out my thoughts in general concerning race starts.

I can't remember who brought up the idea in a practice room this week, but they suggested we do a number of two lap races in a row. We tried it and a few people commented on how it helped them deal with the start and the first corner, and that it was nice to get some focused experience with the congestion, the sorting, and the gradual separation that seems to occur more quickly in the first stages of a race. And it kind of stops short of the next phase in a race where you realize now that you just have to keep consistent for the next four or five laps and have to begin dealing with the different pressures and discipline associated with maintaining position and other decisions about where to be more aggressive to improve position (so it can be easier to remember what you are learning about the first phase, to develop it, and to reinforce it).

Here are some ideas and techniques others have shared with me and some of my personal thoughts in the first couple of corners:
-Don't dive for a hole that opens up just ahead of you just because there is a hole or even if there are cars ahead of your car that you can almost immediately get past or even get around. If by chance you do make it all the way past a car, or row of cars, immediately in front of you, you will most likely end up at the apex of the first corner just as the further up ahead cars get to it, and it will probably result in an incident. Even if you both survive the first corner, there will probably have been some very hard door knocking, and more drastic changes in speed, which can create ill will, maybe even escalate emotions, and could precipitate other incidents in that very compressed part of the race. Also, if you go for the hole, most likely there is someone just behind you who will follow you. Since you will most likely have to do some relatively quick braking, they will have less chance to not ram you, possibly causing a punting chain reaction (one possible technique here is tapping your brake to warn the following driver you about to brake). Even if this doesn't happen, they will most likely arrive at the apex just as the car you are passing arrives at the apex.
-Instead play the follow game with a balance between carefulness -- allowed by a slightly greater, cautious gap between you and the car you are following -- and competitiveness.
-Know your markers in this turn very well. Have ground reference points and higher reference points since cars might make it hard to see the ground marker you need. I myself don't have all my reference points on a whole track worked out until we have a track for at least two weeks (I am working on getting them faster), so prioritize the markers in the first turn first. Have several ways (2 or 3 +) that you know when to brake and turn in, imo, the first three apexes (sp?). If possible know this part of the track so well that driving it is on the subconscious level. That way your mind doesn't have to consciously think about both driving the course and reacting to the higher level of decision making regarding other drivers in this compression. The mind only has so much focus available at any one time. Being so familiar with this part of the track allows almost complete concentration on not hitting someone else and on going faster if a legitimate opportunity presents itself.
-As you go into and out of the first corner, consciously maintaining both brake and throttle control depending on whether those in front slow down or if one of more go off, or if one or more other driving lines go off of the three alternate racing lines (tight, middle, loose) which presents legitimate holes just past this first apex. I have begun to have a little simultaneous pressure on both my brake and my throttle during the the first turn. I can kind of modulate my car's progress as the situation pulses in front of me (like a very fast version of the highway rush hour stop and go pulse.) Depending upon when this phase seems to pass there is a varying point in each race at which I fell I can safely remove the simultaneous pressure on the pedals and go into more normal pedal control.
-I have tried practicing starting by myself at several different representative positions on the starting grid, so that I specifically know my braking points from these different positions and what gears will come into play at this slower entry speed. Again, then I don't have to consciously think as much about the mechanics of my car control during this highly compressed, singular phase of the race.
-Personally, although this might not be the correct driving technique at all, I use a slight flick to go around the first right apex (around the tire barrier) and a stronger flick to go around the second, left apex. This has a number of advantages that I have discovered. It seems faster to me (I could be wrong). It seems to make my car more consistent than a normal turn in and consistency is really important in a riskier situation. Maybe its because a flick is a simpler action than turning a wheel gradually into and out of an arc. When flicked, the car seems to follow a natural arc even when the steering wheel is held still. It seems to make my car more solid in case someone hits me, I guess because it is more under a certain amount of turning momentum and the grip might be a little stronger since it is pitched sideways more than just the normal lateral force provides in the turn. The possible higher incidence of little bumps that sometimes occur in the first corners are negated more by the greater resilience of this maneuver. And you are not ramming others, you are just turning in the open space ahead of you using a different turning technique. However, others who may not be so cautious and may end up hitting you do not have as negative an effect on your car, line and speed (they usually are not carrying as much momentum if using a normal turning technique).
-Because, in proportion to the situation, most drivers are being, imo, more aggressive at the start of a race than during the rest of the race (maybe with the exception of the last turn, but that might be considered less risky), when you are staying with the flow you are still being aggressive regarding your race and don't have to worry that you are not being aggressive enough. iow, since the whole pack is being very agressive, by staying with the pack you are already being aggressive enough but at the same time playing it a little smarter by not suddenly being overly aggressive.

I could be wrong on the overall race craft level, or be missing some important elements in my understanding here, but it seems that lately as I have begun to put this together, I have had less complaints from other drivers, and have found myself surprised at my success in avoiding accidents, staying consistent at the start of races, and how it seems to afford me some success at gaining at this point in the race. I seem to have found a way to be careful and competitive at the same time while being a little more resilient to unintentional bumps from other drivers.

Specifically regarding the first turn at Indy Road course:
-in the bumper view, the right side of your gauge is where the outside edge of your right side tires are and the right side of your car. If you avoid touching (or crossing) the unique red tire boundary in the first turn with your gauge, you will be avoiding hitting this tire barrier with your car.
- I only stay in second for a second or so through this first apex and especially after it. I short shift to third because it gives me a lot more stability in what seems to be an extra slippy point in the track. I don't know if it is the camber or the fact that I am coming off a high speed straight to a very low speed turn, or both, but during the later stages of the race I short shift, and even more so in the start of the race when quick decisions and changes of direction might be necessary (if I go down to second at all).
-It seems to be very difficult in general (as it has been for me) for racing drivers to handle the first turns without overdoing it, so if you are patient and careful, there is usually quite a payoff at this point in the race. Even for those who are being careful, they might have just gotten hit by someone else, and so you have a much better chance at avoiding part of a chain effect, and again, the payoff can be great.

I must mention @fizzer and @chatva for many of these pointers, and, a number of others contributed to my understanding as well. There was also one former racing steward who kindly helped me with this situation.

I hope maybe that part of this might help.

It was nice to see @K1utch get a 1:27.9xx at Indy today!
Weekly essay by robin... Check.

GT Academy 2014 here I come lol :mad:

Don't forget to submit your time to the link in my quote below. Let's see how our fellow SNAILs are doing and challenge each other to get faster and move up the GLOBAL leaderboard.

Just for fun, if you want to submit your GT Academy times into a database for us all to see how your fellow SNAILs are doing, you can use these forms below. I just threw this together quickly, so I hope it works out alright.

SUBMISSION FORM

DATABASE

I will sort and remove each individuals slower submission each night.

I will link this post in my signature.

Back