◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,417 comments
I practiced so much today I started getting slower, if that is possible. I think some beer and steak should help. :)

See you guys in D2 tonight.

Div-4 will be run as Friends Only. If you are a part time driver, and want to race tonight - be sure and send an FR to me. Even if we were "friends" before. I've had to delete many previous friends to make room for new folks.

If you have a question about anything related to SNAIL there is a link in the 1st post of this thread that will take you to an FAQ sheet. That sheet has links to just about anything you can think of that you might need to know. This includes color/number, rules, SNAIL OLR, standings, and everything else that we though you might need.

If going to the bottom of the first post is just too much work for you, it's also linked in my signature and in Dragonwhisky's signature. I'm sure there are other members that have it linked but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Do a little bit for yourself instead of trying to get someone else to do it for you.

If you have a question about anything related to SNAIL there is a link in the 1st post of this thread that will take you to an FAQ sheet. That sheet has links to just about anything you can think of that you might need to know. This includes color/number, rules, SNAIL OLR, standings, and everything else that we though you might need.

If going to the bottom of the first post is just too much work for you, it's also linked in my signature and in Dragonwhisky's signature. I'm sure there are other members that have it linked but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Do a little bit for yourself instead of trying to get someone else to do it for you.
Wow, ok thanks for that.

This, from the OP, will tell you all you need to work out what tyres to run on:

Tire Restrictions: (based on Dealership PP)
Street Cars
below 450 PP -> Sports Hards
450-499 PP ---> Sports Mediums
500 PP & up --> Sports Softs
Race Cars
below 600 PP -> Racing Hards
600 PP & up --> Racing Mediums
Tuner Cars
Classified as either Street or Race cars based on this list
Just a reminder for everyone in anticipation of the night's racing at Willow Springs. The excerpt below is taken straight from the SNAIL OLR and applies at every track but is especially relevant at a track like Willow Springs where off track excursions are quite common.

14: Re-entering to the track after running off:

A: It is the responsibility of the car returning to the track to ensure there are no collisions so that no other drivers have to maneuver or brake suddenly to allow you to resume racing. If there's a chance of a collision, wait and be patient as other drivers have the right of way.
B:
An off track incident includes but is not limited to:
1. Being stuck or pinned to a wall or railing.
2. More than two tires leaving the track at any one time
3. Any situation where the car may lose control and create cross traffic
C:
Do not reverse back onto the track unless it is necessary. If you are backing up away from a wall first look around you to avoid a collision and as the collision would be your fault.
D:
Re-enter the track parallel to the road, slowly and gently, and always with great care. This gives you the best opportunity to see what’s coming up the track behind you, and it also gives drivers coming up on you the best chance to orientate themselves to your situation.

E:
When re-entering the track, you must take all available measures to not affect any other driver on the track. If this means you have to come to a complete stop on the side of the track and wait for the track to be clear, then that is what you must do.

Excellent reminders 👍

NEW ADJUSTMENT FORMULA

Starting tonight, we will be using an improved adjustment formula to compare scores between divisions (for prize purposes). As has always been the case, it's easier to score more points when there are fewer drivers on the grid to compete against. Therefore, we use these adjustment formulas so that everyone has a reasonably equal chance of winning prizes, regardless of how many drivers each division has on any given night.

To understand why we're moving to a new formula, it's important to understand the previous methods we've used to compare the performances of drivers competing in varying grid sizes. The first method we used was this multiplier that would increase or decrease a driver's point total based on how many drivers were in the division. However, the multiplier was an approximation and we couldn't know for certain if it accurately simulated the difference in difficulty of winning races with varying grid sizes.

The second adjustment method we used was a formula where points awarded per race equalled 16-zx, or better expressed as 16-z(16/y), where y equaled the number of drivers in the race and z equaled the number of positions a given driver finished behind 1st place. And while this formula provided a mathematically valid evaluation of a driver's performance, it's major weakness was that if there were changes in grid size from race to race, it was possible for a driver who didn't win his division to end up with a higher adjusted score than the division winner.

With all this in mind, I'd like to introduce everyone to our new adjustment formula:

Adjusted Points = x[(y/z)/(1/n)] or simply xn(y/z)

x = Points scored by driver
n = Number of divisions currently in the league
y = Total number of drivers in each race of driver's division
z = Total number of drivers in each race of every division

This new formula is, in many ways, a hybrid of our two previous adjustment methods. It represents the best aspects of each, while solving for the weaknesses of both. In a nutshell, this new formula takes everyone's point totals and adjusts it based on grid size. However, it now uses a mathematical equation to do this rather than an arbitrary ratio. This now makes it mathematically impossible for a division winner to have less adjusted points than a non-division winner. In fact, the adjusted rankings for every division will now be identical to the non-adjusted rankings. It's essentially a combination of our previous adjustment methods, but is superior to both; a win-win solution in the truest sense. 👍

NOTE: Please do not plagiarize this formula or any other original content on this thread. Not only is plagiarism a calling card of the desperately unintelligent, it's also something that is strictly prohibited on GTPlanet. I hate to even mention this since 99.9% of GTPlanet members are honest people, but there is unfortunately at least one GTPlanet member who feels that plagiarism is acceptable behavior and he has plagiarized many things from us (yes, even our points adjustment formula). If you would like to use this formula (or anything else on this thread) for your own league, all you have to do is ask. However, if you instead try to pass off our content as your own, you will be reported as a plagiarist.

Last edited:
Hey, I moved to D3:D
see ya....
For the guys that like those "Hella flush", cambered out cars:

Formula vee style!View attachment 197633

Also, the Family Affair Racing Team had their fifth annual vee invitational race about a month ago and I thought I'd share some footage. The driver is one of our renters Alan Baker driving a 1990 Tsunami Mkll (#30), battling with another one of our renters Ross Baillie driving a 2004 Protoform P3 (#01), and the famous Formula Vee driver (and my grandfather) Al Ores in a 1975 Caldwell D13 (#19)

If you guys remember from last year, I had mentioned my father driving his '98 Campbell last year. This year he would challenge for the podium in a 2003 Protoform P3 (#69) seeing as though he snapped a spindle going down the front straight in his personal car earlier in the season, I'll try to get some footage from his point of view later on... Enjoy!​

i remember the initial FV grids in the NE Region at Lime Rock (pretty please PD you could scan it in a day!) that damn near stretched all the way around the track, racing in snarling packs of ten to twelve. We in Formula Ford regarded FV drivers as fearless fools while they regarded us as Richer fearless fools ... in 73 a used FF was around 4000 while a used FV was less than 1/2 the price. Now new FVs go for 15 to 20 k) from an old racing buddy...he says his 25 year old car is still mid pack capable in SCCA regional racing.

Here is a picture from a 2003 VEE race at Thunderhill
image.jpg

My cars are body color GT6 Chrome 007, Merlot Red rims, number 20. I think it's coach who has the link to what each driver has in body/rim color and number. Use whichever color/number combo you can pick that isn't being used.
Yeah, I have the list and printed it out. No one else is using the color, number combo I selected.

see ya....

i remember the initial FV grids in the NE Region at Lime Rock (pretty please PD you could scan it in a day!) that damn near stretched all the way around the track, racing in snarling packs of ten to twelve. We in Formula Ford regarded FV drivers as fearless fools while they regarded us as Richer fearless fools ... in 73 a used FF was around 4000 while a used FV was less than 1/2 the price. Now new FVs go for 15 to 20 k) from an old racing buddy...he says his 25 year old car is still mid pack capable in SCCA regional racing.

Here is a picture from a 2003 VEE race at ThunderhillView attachment 198136

Funny you post that... You can clearly see my dad in that picture (Silver car in the middle, behind Ian Sweeney and Blake Tatum in the #7). What a cool weekend, I remember everything about it even though I was only five year old. That was also his rookie season with a hastily put together motor and a 'short box' transmission which definitely suit the track, but he ended up finishing ninth on saturday. Took us 16 hours of straight driving to get down there but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Quick question, what's the name of the gentleman you mentioned? Crazy small world eh?

@joe_diben has a practice room open
1472-6399-8665-9409-7078
Four of us working on the Willow track

Hey guys, has anyone else with a G27 ever experienced a "notchy" feeling in the wheel when turning?

Yup, happenes to my wheel once in a while. It goes away. And then comes back, there might be a chipped gear or something but it goes away. Just drive and swing the wheel back and forth quickly or something.

Yup, happenes to my wheel once in a while. It goes away. And then comes back, there might be a chipped gear or something but it goes away. Just drive and swing the wheel back and forth quickly or something.

Thanks. I'll try it sometime this week. I'm going to skip tonight. Just getting home, been driving from NC all day.

Have fun, y'all.

Remember - you can't win a race on the first corner, but you sure can lose the race (and then some) unless you drive like a winner!

Back