◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,668 comments
I used to really like Chasing Classic Cars, but then I realized how snooty it is. His clients rarely enjoy their cars and its not about the chase, its about flipping them for a profit. The barn finds are cool but unattainable.

I've recently started watching Fast & Loud. Much better show. Down to earth guys who repair and build hot rods and usually flip them for a little profit. They don't care if pieces of carpet don't quite match in the underside corner of the trunk. They just want a car to look fast and do burnouts. They take barn finds and tired cars and turn them into something gear heads would want to drive instead of something that's going to sit in a private collection or just go back to collecting dust in another garage. You also learn a little along the way.

I'll still watch CCC but I look forward to the next episode of F&L.

--
On an unrelated note. I am playing GT5, I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I've got gold on all but the Super license and ticked off a few special events. That damn Top Gear Lotus challenge had me pissed off the other night. Then I turned on SRF and got gold on the second try. Why did I waste an hour trying to do it without aids?

Man, Wayne Carini and Chasing Classic Cars is totally the new Bob Ross' The joy of Painting... :drool: (*sigh* and it's only Tuesday.)

Wayne Carini is cool, but he's no Bob Ross. ;)

badass_d5d506_1110504.jpg

I used to watch F & L but it got boring after awhile... buy a car complaints about not making money... next car same thing.... just my honest opinion! When I saw my first CCC I loved it! I was trying to figure out why I haven't looked at that show before, and IMO I get more info/education???... from CCC than F & L. One other car show I'll watch sometimes though is CC(Counting Cars) it does seem like F & L but yet again IMO I get more info from it and see some really good cars and have fun watching it with jokes/bets in between... For clarification this is all opinion not starting a war on TV shows.. :P

I've only just started watching that show! My best episode so far is when he found the cobra in the barn! I was jealous... I want to find cobras(not the snakes....) in barns!!!

Edit: doesn't it figure... I go to look at velocity and in just over an hour my favorite episode is on...:P

Okay, you have me intrigued. Going to stay up to watch this episode. :)

EDIT: There goes that idea.. "Velocity HD is currently unavailable. Please try again later." :grumpy:

Last edited:
I have completed review of all submitted incident reports.

Bowler, I've updated your submission to give you credit for each incident you reviewed.

All stewards, by sometime tomorrow, the Marketplace form where you collect your $hells will have much more detailed options from you to select from. Rather than having one blanket option for "all incidents have been reviewed", you will now be able to specify how many incidents you reviewed (and get one $hell per incident). This will allow stewards to assist with as many incidents as possible without feeling deterred from reviewing incidents on a particularly heavy week because they don't feel like they'll have to time to review all incidents.

That being said, please always put priority on reviewing incidents that have the least number of reviews filed or incidents that have differing rulings. On the other hand, please put the least priority on incidents in your own division. In fact, to avoid bias, please don't review incidents in your own division unless asked to. Also, incidents where multiple stewards already have universally agreed on the ruling should be considered low-priority incidents for you as well.

Last edited:
I've beem hooked on wheelers dealers. The guy buying the cars reminds me of my grandpa, except british. Great show though. Velocity is nice, but I do miss Speed.

That said, Got a new video uploaded. Got the problem with only the results showing and added an opening title. This video is the last race from Sunday. DW was leading the night by two points over me. this was the battle that tied it up. He ended up winning the night on account of having more podiums, but it was a close struggle the whole night.

Last edited:
Just watched that video Rally. Nice race there. Good "D".

A seriously close points night.

A co-worker walked by while I was watching that and asked what it was he was hearing. It's a testament to how bad the sound really is, when someone who has no previous experience with GT, walks by and thinks what he's hearing are motorcycles. :(
This has been a gripe for the life of GT5, I know, and I'm gonna add mine to the mix. Unless a V8 engine is reving over 10K, it should have a visceral, grab you by the neck and shake you 'til your teeth rattle, throaty, growly, richter scale registering, exhaust song. It should never, ever, ever, sound like an in-line 4 cyclinder, 2 wheeled vehicle, of which I own one, cruising down the road.

If PD really wants to get in touch with how big motors should make you feel, they should take a listen to Fortune Days by The Glitch Mob. The drums in that song give me the feeling of inexorable go faster slowly. If I listen to that song while driving out here in the world, I have to make a concscious effort to keep my foot out of my little V6's throat.

Last edited:
Yeah, it has been a gripe, and I can sympathize. I feel that way when I hear a rotary in the game, especially ones that have engine upgrades. After a street port, there is no smooth idle. I hope the new sound engine helps. But I feel we won't see anything note worthy until the series moves to ps4.
speaking of new consoles, anyone hear that steam if working on a little something dubbed the "Steam Box "? Its a purpose built pc that will be running a steam designed linux OS, built solely for playing games through steam.
Between that, star citizen, Oculus Rift, a motion system and the whole slew of race games and space sims coming up, I may have to start working corners.

What is this "winter driving" you speak of? And it seems as if you require a special type of car to do so?

Strange....where I live the seasons have no effect on the condition of the road.

You must be from bizarro Florida :)

Bizarro I love you, bizarro I love you!
Thats how I feel about hurricanes and earthquakes.
That said, if you've not taken a subaru out on a snowy road, you are missing something great in life.

I need a 5 mil loan! I dont have enough currency to buy this awesome thing. I thought I already had it, but it is the R8 the one I have.

I don't borrow glitch, but for those that do or will, I'll check mine out, make sure it's not tuned and stick it up on share tonight. If it's tuned, I'll buy another and stick that on share. Maybe, I'll just buy a new one anyway and stick one or the other on share. :P

I'm curious though Wolf, how long have you been playing GT5?

It'd be nice if they'd made it so we could send credits to folks.

I don't borrow glitch, but for those that do or will, I'll check mine out, make sure it's not tuned and stick it up on share tonight. If it's tuned, I'll buy another and stick that on share. Maybe, I'll just buy a new one anyway and stick one or the other on share. :P

I'm curious though Wolf, how long have you been playing GT5?

It'd be nice if they'd made it so we could send credits to folks.

a little more than a year...

up to a few months ago I had the full 20 mill always on stand by; I was doing at least a few seasonals every week. since then, I have not done any seasonals and I purchashed some expensive cars in between. I may be able to jump in and do a few quick seasonals, 5 mill is not that hard to get anyway, but sucks when you dont have the credits and need to buy something.

a little more than a year...

up to a few months ago I had the full 20 mill always on stand by; I was doing at least a few seasonals every week. since then, I have not done any seasonals and I purchashed some expensive cars in between. I may be able to jump in and do a few quick seasonals, 5 mill is not that hard to get anyway, but sucks when you dont have the credits and need to buy something.

So far as I know, you're still in my friends list. Will have it up on share shortly after I get home, around 5p Eastern.

This is kinda out of the blue, but we have a lot of "car guys" here so...

Looking at getting a winter commuting car. Found good deals on 2005 Nissan Sentras. One is SE-R with auto and the other is SE-R Spec V with a 6 speed for a grand more. Both are in awesome condition for the age. Was looking at Mazdas same years and they are falling apart.

Anyone have an opinion to share?

I have to admit that all the GT Academy marketing has me really looking at Nissans. I can see a new Nissan in the not to distant future.

Yes, I also drink the beer that has the best commercials at the time.

Speaking of GT Academy Marketing, I have a quick story that I'd like to share. When I'm in the car, I listen to a lot of sports radio and sometime last week I was listening to Jay Mohr's show (he was FOX Sports Radio's replacement for Jim Rome after Rome moved to CBS Sports Radio). Anyways, one of his guests that day was Dhani Jones, and wouldn't you know it he started to pitch GT Academy! He mentioned that he was hosting the show and explained the whole "from virtual to reality" concept. They actually ended up talking about it for a while and it culminated in Dhani telling all the listeners to check the show out on Spike when it airs in November! I never thought that my sports radio time and my Gran Turismo interests would ever collide like that, but they did and it was pretty cool! :dopey:

I really think that the success of the previous GT Academy winners has shown that sim racing can rally produce some amazing drivers. I think there will be a decent sized surge once gt6 hits, and I think ultimately this will really start to become more popular as the hobby of choice. Even now it is hard for me to decide if I want to invest some $2500-3000 into my rx7 to get it track ready, or the same into building a motion rig. Work wise both would be the same. I fabricate so all the work on either would be done by me. But in the end, I think I would get just as much satisfaction from sim racing as I would in real racing, only I would get to drive cars I'll probably never even see, and not have the insurance, tire, gas or maintenance costs. Membership fee may still apply though. And as a bonus, there are no serious, financial or health wrecking consequence when that squirrel eventually runs in front of you. And when I'm done with some racing, my rig, unlike my car, can then be used to, IDK, cruise far away galaxies as a captain of a huge exploration ship, or battle as a merc making my wages. I think it may be easy to see which will probably win out.
Anyway, point of the story, I think GT Academy and GT period is doing good things to get more people interested in the genre.

GT6...........$60
Turtlebeach$120
Buttkicker...$150
PS3...........$200
G27...........$250
Rig............$600

Being able to drive 1000 different cars on 50 different tracks, 7 days a week
...............Priceless.

GT6...........$60
Turtlebeach$120
Buttkicker...$150
PS3...........$200
G27...........$250
Rig............$600

Being able to drive 1000 different cars on 50 different tracks, 7 days a week
...............Priceless.
👍

Nothing against you guys tooting the virtual driving horn...BUT, driving on a real racetrack with a real car makes simulated driving feel like, well, sitting in your living room in front of a TV.

I love GT, no doubt about it. But I would give it up in a heartbeat if in exchange I could go to a track day once a month.

JoeW
Nothing against you guys tooting the virtual driving horn...BUT, driving on a real racetrack with a real car makes simulated driving feel like, well, sitting in your living room in front of a TV.

I love GT, no doubt about it. But I would give it up in a heartbeat if in exchange I could go to a track day once a month.

Everyone loves a good day at the track. Do both. However there is no denying how much you get out of the game for less than the cost of a set of rims and tires.

FYI I spent a small fortune on track days in my 20s (I was actually listed in "Muscle Mustanges and Fast Fords" for winning an event) and probably do it again once my kids are grown up. I think everyone will pick the real car on a real track if it's an option. We are talking about value.

Last edited:
Nothing against you guys tooting the virtual driving horn...BUT, driving on a real racetrack with a real car makes simulated driving feel like, well, sitting in your living room in front of a TV. I love GT, no doubt about it. But I would give it up in a heartbeat if in exchange I could go to a track day once a month.

That it does. I actually started playing GT5 with a wheel because of my experience on the track and in the canyons. At first I was really disappointed because the wheel itself feels nothing like driving an actual car but as time went on I decided to get the most out of my money and enjoy it.

FWIW...

Nissan - 326 hp / 463 PP - Sport Mediums, should be 5 laps.

Audi R10 - 682 hp / 680 PP - Racing Medium, should also be 5 laps, I think.

Put the R10 onto Share for them's that cares. Broken in. If it looks 'hot' go to setting B. 👍

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, a real track day is better anytime, every time. Even a day or weekend at the autox is a blast. But cost can be very prohibitive. For the price of a decent race prepped car, is more then a full motion rig, and maintenance costs would cover all subscriptions and dlc.

I was merely elaborating on the decision to rebuilt a real car for track use for $2500 OR use all that cash for more Sim Racing equipment.

I'd rebuild the REAL car and drive it.

If I had $2500 sitting there and I had a choice of rebuilding a RX7 for track use OR build a monster Sim Rig then I would rebuild the RX7 and still play GT on my kitchen chair and TV tray ;)

Sorry, Nick. I forgot that you post a pic already when I typed that. :ouch:

However, thanks for collecting your $hell for the lineup pictures because I'm going to be putting something for sell in the Marketplace tonight. :)

Rates after new modem installation | Old Modem.

Louisville
3023571234.png
3015071325.png

Atlanta - Comcast
3023573330.png
2983336101.png

Chicago – Comcast
3023575530.png
3015081226.png

Palo Alta Ca – Fiber Internet Center
3023578198.png
2983323676.png

We'll see if it holds up in a few days.

Last edited:
Dragonwhisky
Rates after new modem installation | Old Modem.

Louisville

Atlanta - Comcast

Chicago – Comcast

Palo Alta Ca – Fiber Internet Center

We'll see if it holds up in a few days.

So which modem was it you installed :sly:

Latest Posts

Back