◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,772 comments
I have a non-racing question for the mechanically inclined.

My son is building a trebuchet (possibly several?) for a science fair project. He is guessing the weight will be 100-200 pounds, (outside chance of 300 lbs) and we are stuck on our fulcrum ideas. My trebuchets are simpler and smaller, so he is getting into construction details I am not readily familiar with. The payload he is throwing will likely be a softball or lacrosse ball.

Using some large iron pipe may work, but we thought a bearing would be a good idea. Where would I find a bearing that takes a strong iron tube or bar in the middle (or whatever you recommend for 300 lb load that moves), or what other easily pivoting ideas do you guys have?

Last edited:
hey guys, long time since I've been on the thread. I was looking through the car list for gt6 and realized that theres still no acura nsx concept.

My son is building a trebuchet (possibly several?) for a science fair project. He is guessing the weight will be 100-200 pounds, (outside chance of 300 lbs) and we are stuck on our fulcrum ideas. My trebuchets are simpler and smaller, so he is getting into construction details I am not readily familiar with. The payload he is throwing will likely be a softball or lacrosse ball.

Using some large iron pipe may work, but we thought a bearing would be a good idea. Where would I find a bearing that takes a strong iron tube or bar in the middle (or whatever you recommend for 300 lb load that moves), or what other easily pivoting ideas do you guys have?

I would check with a local bowling center. There are quite a few different bearings that are used on the pinsetters. Go into the center when it's not busy and ask if you can speak with the head mechanic. Most of these guys spend so much time working alone that they would be happy to spend a few minutes helping you out. You may have to explain to the desk person why you want to talk to the mechanic. The center may not have something laying around but they will be able to tell you where to get something locally.

Note: don't go into a corporate owned bowling center i.e. AMF in the name.

We have a couple of Bowl America locations nearby. I will hit there with my son (and probably my baby trebuchet for a visual) soon.

Thanks, JLBowler!

The kind of bearing your going to want is going to be something like this.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9306384310867032658?q=industrial machine bearings&client=firefox-a&hs=sMe&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:embarrassed:fficial&biw=1920&bih=1029&ei=Kd-bUpDSJonpoATL_YDQBQ&ved=0CJYDEKYrMA84FA
Shouldn't be to expensive, somewhere between 30 and 60 bucks.
Actually, I just found this link
edit again. I love how the full link above makes the :embarrassed: smiley, but still works.

I might hop on around 9:00pm Pacific time if you want to run the combos for fun. Or we can just have some fun doing something else.

Thanks joby but I can't do the late night thing on Sundays.
5:00 am start on Monday and a 35 mile commute means up at 3:30 and out the door by 4:00.
Late night Fridays are good for me...if I'm not working Saturday, and Saturday night is the best option for me.
I will try to catch ya on one of those nights.

The Panda is back from Oahu and sunburn free! :cheers: I had the time of my life and finally got to see Pearl Harbor after reading (presumably) every (available) book about it. I'll post a few pics (only the racing relevant ones). If you're a bit of a history geek like me or are a laid back person (or have a strange love of playing with fire) I highly recommend making the trip. I didn't want to come back and almost didn't once I had been offered a job... I know for sure I'm going back someday. ---S.N.A.I.S.L.A.N.D. anybody?

First thing that popped into mind is a wheel bearing from a dirt bike. When ordered individually they're pretty cheap and I'm more than certain they'll be more than strong enough. I'll post a link here in a minute. If you have a general idea of the interior and exterior dimensions needed post or pm them and I'll find ones that'll work. Shoot, I just remembered my girlfriends dad used to be able to order them through the supplier they had at unileaver and I could get both front wheel bearings for my yz for $6. If it weren't for the fact his branch is trying to run the current employees out I'd hook you up with him. Unless you've already figured something out or have a different direction you want to go I'll help as best as I can.

We are thinking about a 1" iron pipe on the inside of the bearing, if that makes sense. Thanks!

Heading to D3.

That's what happens when the room isn't set up properly....I get DC'd 8 times in a ****ing row.

👍 bs

Each time this has happened AGO, Dragon & Green start barber poling for about 10 seconds before I get DC'd. Must mean something...

Last edited:
I'll take care of it

Thanks a lot nmcp. I wish someone would have PMed me telling me there wouldn't be a host / race director. I would have made sure there was. I'll be back next week to resume my D2 responsibilities.

A what? Did someone poop on the track?

I got a little scared driving around Cote, sorry about that. :nervous:

@flesxruoyxllik - In all seriousness, there is a link at the bottom of the message kcheeb sends out every Sunday under the section called "Race Complaints", simply follow the link for all the information you need to file your complaint.

Last edited:
That's what happens when the room isn't set up properly....I get DC'd 8 times in a ****ing row.

👍 bs

Each time this has happened AGO, Dragon & Green start barber poling for about 10 seconds before I get DC'd. Must mean something...

If you're seeing the same thing from multiple other drivers in the room then the issue is probably on your end. If it was one other person, I would say it could be either of you but what are the chances that three different people have the same issue on their end and it only applies to you?

Division 3 Director's Report

I want to thank everyone once again for coming out tonight for the finale of S.N.A.I.L. Spec Racing on Gran Turismo 5. I had a great time tonight and I hope everyone else did. I also want to thank everyone for all the great times I've had since the beginning of S.N.A.I.L. almost 2 years ago! We've really come a long way, and I can only hope that we'll continue to grow with GT6! I hope to see a lot of people return next week as we make the move to Gran Turismo 6!

Thanks,
cmbeal317

It appears that MY bowels behaved themselves tonight... (I think). What an awesome night. The D3 gang was on fire and I can't begin to tell you all how much fun I had tonight. Thanks to Mr. Beal for hosting, directing and scorekeeping and thanks to the rest of D3 for an amazing night of racing! Also, if am am not mistaken, is this SoundTiger's first (unofficial) overall?? If so, great job!! Dang that was fun!!!

It appears that MY bowels behaved themselves tonight... (I think). What an awesome night. The D3 gang was on fire and I can't begin to tell you all how much fun I had tonight. Thanks to Mr. Beal for hosting, directing and scorekeeping and thanks to the rest of D3 for an amazing night of racing! Also, if am am not mistaken, is this SoundTiger's first (unofficial) overall?? If so, great job!! Dang that was fun!!!

That would be correct Exo. :)

For some reason I was really on tonight. Trying to keep up with all the great drivers has made me so much faster over the last few months. I've had so much fun in this league and I see it getting a lot better in the future. Closing out GT5 with a win is amazing. Can't wait to get started on GT6!

awesome Fun in D1! I got my first victory at Tsubuka! and 2 Podiums in D1! Lot's of Fun guys! The competition is always awesome! Can't wait to race with you guys in GT6, whens your first race for GT6 though? like the second Sunday after it comes out?

I'd like to apologize to Division 2 in general, and tcrash specifically, for being late. Thanks to @nmcp1 for picking up the ball and heading for the endzone!

From my seat it was a great night of racing in D2. I had battles with several drivers all over the track. As a send off for GT5 I thought it was great! :cheers: to everyone in D2 for the night!

Now, if I could just sleep through the next 4 days...

Back