◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,788 comments
Speaking of typos, I'm seriously considering switching from Qwerty to Dvorak. I just bought a badass new keyboard (www.trulyergonomic.com) and I figure I might as well upgrade my keyboard layout since I have to get used to my new keyboard anyways. Do any of you use Dvorak or any other non-Qwerty layout? I'm mainly concerned about the learning curve and the number of typing mistakes I'm bound to make..

I had a co-worker that switched to Dvorak for a couple of months several years ago. He still has trouble using a regular keyboard now, and it's been quite a long time. It's a superior layout, but I would only suggest it if you're literally never going to have to use a Qwerty keyboard again, on a phone, on someone else's computer, on the holodecks we'll be playing GT14 on, etc.

Hmm, ergonomic keyboard. Maybe that will help with the hand pain. not sure about dvorak though. I get the premise though, be interesting to try at the least.

In the early years of my computing when regular meeses were yet to be hated to pieces, in long stints using them, usually playing Quake II, my thumbs and first 2 fingers on both hands would go woodenly numb. After trying several crappy trackballs, finally settled on the Logitech line of thumb-ball track balls, which helped bunches with my right hand. Left hand still went numb on straight kbs. Once I found these natural keyboards though, and stopped "wrenching" for a living, pretty much numbness during computing/keyboarding has gone the way of the dodo bird. The trackman wheel line of trackballs had some of the crappiest DPI rates of any pointing device, so was generally unsuitable for gaming, I would occasionally break out my MX-510
MX510%20closeup.jpg

mouse for that. I still used the trackball through all of my Battlefield 1942 and some of my BF2 play. Getting your setup correct to your ergs is fairly important.

I vote for C. Gimme sticky tires any day.

As much as i like the RCZ I hate cape ring inside, and the Renault is awesome but Fuji just plain blows.
I think cape ring inside is the only good cape ring track, and the Renault is great to drive. The light car is sweet too, but that car just screams for triple screen.

Don't be very surprised but I vote (my own nomination), :)

If you didn't vote for what you thought was a good idea when you suggested them, then I would wonder what you were thinking when you thought it was good.

Aka - Good Schmiggy!

Sad part dragon is Sports softs on the right car are stickier than Racing hards.

Probably you're right. But, I don't care. Why race if not on racing tires? Not like they cost me anything (directly anyway) out of my wallet. But that's just me, the perpetual back marker.

Actually, wasn't the issue. I changed his points to .1 in the directors doc so that he would still show up in the results, but at the bottom (instead of as the Prize A winner). Although that corrected the divisional results, the prize winner mentions in the elimination vote results section at the bottom were not updated. Also, I don't think this is related, but Adventuruss' adjusted points showed up as 0.00 so I adjusted it manually. None of this is a big deal that took long to update though. Just wanted to let you know in case I screwed up a formula here or there. :nervous:

@zer05ive, fixed.

@Adventuruss points formula in the Directors Doc got messed up somehow, was showing as 0, so he sorted to the bottom of the list. Not sure how it happened, but it's better now :)

SFCjoeMe full points in the Directors Doc were set to .1 but his adjusted points were not. You can do that in column AS if it happens again.

Am I doing my math's right? 82 drivers hit the grid last Sunday?

Holy smokes Batman!

Only almost 20 higher than in GT5, yah... nothing big, nobody has busy here or nuffin'

(pokes @zer05ive, who is sleeping at the keyboard, working on growing SNAIL, but Zer0 falls over onto @kcheeb, who is quietly snoring, his fingers now worn down a full knuckle by all the typing of the epic 'cool data wall' the two can't quite get Clarkson and Hammond to do a promo for... yet. Both continue to snore and drool, but do so with the POWER of a SNAIL!)

Last edited:
--- Zer05ive,

I thought of going to Dvorak, but I'm too immersed into Qwerty. I'm around 65-75 wpm and it's invaluable for writing plans, letters to parents (though I do a fair amount of voice-to-text when I can get away with it), etc.

I just think the readjust/relearning isn't worth it to a nearly 50 year old. If I was 20? Probably would do it. Too much water under the bridge for me.

I hear you, but after looking into Dvorak, I find myself constantly noticing the Qwerty deficiencies that Dvorak supposedly fixes. For example, every time I type an entire word with one hand or have to use one finger to type multiple letters in succession, I think to myself, "that would never happen with Dvorak!" :lol:

Kinda with Handlebar on the keyboard thing. Best I think I ever did with a standard kb was around 30wpm and never really did get the hang of touch typing. Once I bought one of these
MS_Natural.jpg
however my typing steadily began to improve and I've moved from that through this
419V8X7P7FL._SX425_.jpg

and have settled on this one.
microsoft_natural_ergonomic_keyboard_4000.jpg

I have 2 of the black ones at home and once I brought one of them to work they started popping up at other work stations of co-workers. Work folks actually were nice enough to buy me one of those and one of these.
logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

So my control mirrors what I have at home. Been using trackballs for longer than natural keyboards and using a mouse for anything more than meeting a hammer is just to painful to contemplate. I "think type" about twice as fast as I can "transpose type" and have capped out around 50wpm. 60 only on a really good day.
My keyboard of choice is very similar to yours:
Fellowes_98915_antimicrobial_split_design_keyboard_2.jpg

My first one is so old that it's a PS/2 keyboard! Once they came out with a USB version, I eventually bought three. One for work, one for work, and one just in case. :)

The problem I've always had with any keyboard is the home keys they try to tell you to use are cramped. Anyone who is trying to speed up there typing should just make their home keys where their fingers naturally hit a key when at rest. The fingers on my left hand rest on AWEF on these natural keyboards and my right hovers around and never really "homes". It's my smart hand and doesn't really need to.
That's the beauty of the keyboard I just bought. The rows of the keys actually bend to conform to the different lengths of your fingers. Instead of of having straight rows, it has straight columns. This is a superior design because our fingers bend straight down, not down and to the right as most keyboards would have you think. The only reason that keyboards are designed with slanted columns is because they are designed to mimic typewriters, and the first typewriters had to have offset keys so that each key could have a metal arm that connected to the "hammer" that struck the ink ribbon onto the paper. Since that's no longer necessary, having straight columns makes a whole lot more sense than having straight rows. As you can see from the picture below, the user can type without having to shift his hands left and right to match the slanted columns of traditional keyboards:

Truly-Ergonomic-Keyboard-in-use-without-palm-rest.jpg

Last edited:
A user at my office has one of those black Microsoft ergonomic keyboards. I had to configure something on her machine and I had such a hard time typing anything. I'm sure you get used to it after awhile but I'll stick with my plain boring anti-ergonomic keyboard for now :)
Hmm, ergonomic keyboard. Maybe that will help with the hand pain. not sure about dvorak though. I get the premise though, be interesting to try at the least.
Raise the wrist area so that the hand and forearm are inline. Certainly helps the pain. IMHO
As TEX said, having the proper wrist position is important. However, if you're using a not using an ergonomic keyboard, just look at the angle that your hands and wrists have to make as you type. That angle you see is one of the things that causes carpal tunnel syndrome. Your hands and wrists want to be in a straight line, not crooked. Make them happy by using an ergonomic keyboard. :)

Back