◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
I'd have to go back and look at the replay but I thought I was running 31s and managed to pull off a win in Division 5. Others could run way faster but shooting for a fast lap usually involves risk taking at every corner. Some corners have runoff space but others will suck up 2-3 seconds while you get back on track, then another second or two on the next turn while you scrub off your tires. All that to shave 1 second off 1 lap. So yeah, consistency and accident avoidance are key. That's why I enjoy online racing more than time trials.

sometimes consistency is more important than fastest laps. I have run well in the 29's with the rocket. but when you can put 6-7 laps in the 30 flats it hard to beat.

Yep. Last time I looked 7 laps at 1:30 each was better than 6 laps at 1:29 and one at 1:40. You also don't have win every race to be successful here. Last night was a perfect example of this. I won the night in D2 without winning a race.

If more drivers would realize these two things and exercise a little more patience, we would have fewer incidents and fewer people leaving after the night is over feeling like they were "done wrong" by someone else.

I know you loved it. I saw you sideways..
I throw the car sideway so I can see who is next to me;)

I actually did ok on that combo. Two 4ths for that combo. Better than my 8th and 4thin the rocket. Of course that 8th was self inflicted.

Tez seemed to do ok with the GT combo. He got two 2nds:)

Yep. Last time I looked 7 laps at 1:30 each was better than 6 laps at 1:29 and one at 1:40. You also don't have win every race to be successful here. Last night was a perfect example of this. I won the night in D2 without winning a race.

If more drivers would realize these two things and exercise a little more patience, we would have fewer incidents and fewer people leaving after the night is over feeling like they were "done wrong" by someone else.

Last night was a great eaxmple..

I was OK with how the GT-R handled when it was on the ground. The problem was that three or four times a lap, the car would leave the track surface and these events do not make for good racing. This is the kind of thing you're looking for when you test your choice of combo before announcing it.

Uploaded 6 replays that worked on MY PS3 for D6.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Hallelujah! ;) :gtpflag:

Now... having them work for someone else.... no promises here! :lol:

Only hoping 1.03 includes the 0.03 time they spent on making stuff that used to work....actually, say... function. :dunce:

From JLBowler:

The problem was that three or four times a lap, the car would leave the track surface and these events do not make for good racing. This is the kind of thing you're looking for when you test your choice of combo before announcing it.

Exciting? Yes! Good racing.... NotSoMuch

Last edited:
Hi guys, wanted to run a idea by you all, I've been watching the old IROC racing form back in the day and been thinking we have some the old IROC cars in GT so anyone down for a IROC racing night on Fridays night's

Question:

Shall I remove TEZ and TROGGEH from my D3 list as they race in the West coast Division? If so, let me know and if the CEO's want to pull another two drivers into D3, feel free.
Last night we had 11 racers and from those steady show ups, we only missed Rallywagon and Wolfsatz so there might be room for at least two more Snailers.

If you could that would be fine, Schmiggz. I clicked the 'remove from conversation' yesterday when I started seeing the D3 messages popping up but that may be just for individual ones :)

"Really guys, I'm not that fast!" - Fastfox
Practice is key.

The key to faster laps, consistent laps, car knowledge and track knowledge.

Fox practices and it shows. If I can continue to race Sundays, and I want to stay on the pavement, I may try to get on at 9pm to run a lap or two before hand :)

"Really guys, I'm not that fast!" - Fastfox
Practice is key.

The key to faster laps, consistent laps, car knowledge and track knowledge.

Fox practices and it shows. If I can continue to race Sundays, and I want to stay on the pavement, I may try to get on at 9pm to run a lap or two before hand :)

Really im not that fast. Just certain combos make a calling to me. I also practice prolly more than i should. Its not uncommon for me to have 400-500 miles on a given car before sunday night racing.

Really im not that fast. Just certain combos make a calling to me. I also practice prolly more than i should. Its not uncommon for me to have 400-500 miles on a given car before sunday night racing.
That makes me feel a bit better. I only have 2500 miles for all the driving I have done in the game! What is your total mileage?

Of course I have more mileage on my rocket than any other car.

I never said you were fast...I said you practice alot :cheers:

And that is the key. And you are the key master...not sure who the gate keeper is, or gozer the gozarian...

I race with the surround sound on and when I turn on my ear piece (just one of those BT phone things) the chat goes to that. I can drop it on the floor if I want but I usually forget. I've lost more than one race engaging in late-race chatter when I thought I had the win in the bag. Almost did it last night actually, twice!
That's classic @diabolicwyvern! We miss you buddy!! :)

This is dead on. Consistent mid-pack pace through all 6 races can win the night in most divisions.

Here's a way of looking at maximizing your points for a combo that maybe some people haven't considered: Just gain a few spots in the reverse-grid race. Mathematically, that's really all you need to do. I know it sounds overly simple, so let me explain. Since every position at the end of the race is worth one point more than the one below it, if no one passed anyone in the reverse-grid race, everyone would end up with the same number of points, no matter what order everyone finished in the first race. Getting the most points for the combo just means you passed the most people in the second race.

"Aha!" you might be thinking, "I'll focus all my effort on the second race!" Nope. Won't work. For my strategy to work, you have to have people in front of you for the second race that you actually can pass. That means you have to have beaten them in the first race so that they start in front of you for the second one. If you get last place in the first race, there isn't anywhere to go but down in the second race. So I think of the first race as establishing my position for the second one. What's important is that I qualify and race well enough to keep some people behind me that I can hope to pass in the second race.

When the combo is tough, I know that there's a good chance that, especially in the reverse-grid race, someone -- perhaps several someones -- will make a mistake that allows me to pass them with almost no effort at all. I just need to keep myself in a position to take advantage.

That's just one of many different ways to look at the underlying math problem, but it's the one I choose to use since it helps me focus on consistency. I like to win races, too, but that's not always in the cards. I finished 3rd in D2 last night without any wins. That means that both 1st and 3rd in our division didn't even win a single race between us.

This is dead on. Consistent mid-pack pace through all 6 races can win the night in most divisions.

Here's a way of looking at maximizing your points for a combo that maybe some people haven't considered: Just gain a few spots in the reverse-grid race. Mathematically, that's really all you need to do. I know it sounds overly simple, so let me explain. Since every position at the end of the race is worth one point more than the one below it, if no one passed anyone in the reverse-grid race, everyone would end up with the same number of points, no matter what order everyone finished in the first race. Getting the most points for the combo just means you passed the most people in the second race.

"Aha!" you might be thinking, "I'll focus all my effort on the second race!" Nope. Won't work. For my strategy to work, you have to have people in front of you for the second race that you actually can pass. That means you have to have beaten them in the first race so that they start in front of you for the second one. If you get last place in the first race, there isn't anywhere to go but down in the second race. So I think of the first race as establishing my position for the second one. What's important is that I qualify and race well enough to keep some people behind me that I can hope to pass in the second race.

When the combo is tough, I know that there's a good chance that, especially in the reverse-grid race, someone -- perhaps several someones -- will make a mistake that allows me to pass them with almost no effort at all. I just need to keep myself in a position to take advantage.

That's just one of many different ways to look at the underlying math problem, but it's the one I choose to use since it helps me focus on consistency. I like to win races, too, but that's not always in the cards. I finished 3rd in D2 last night without any wins. That means that both 1st and 3rd in our division didn't even win a single race between us.
Do the points factor in positions gained loss in race 1 based on qualifying position (if entered)? If so, wouldn't it be advantageous to qualify poorly to maximize positions gained? Not that it'd be sportsmanlike or anything (or that I ever am even close to qualifying well), just curious.

Do the points factor in positions gained loss in race 1 based on qualifying position (if entered)? If so, wouldn't it be advantageous to qualify poorly to maximize positions gained? Not that it'd be sportsmanlike or anything (or that I ever am even close to qualifying well), just curious.
The only points recorded are for pole position in qualifying and where you finish each race. It's a very, very, very simple points system. In this case, simple is good.

No, though you do get one point for pole position, so that's certainly worth trying to do. Like I said, it's really gaining positions in the second race that matters, from a points perspective. The first ends up being equally important though, because it determines the order for the second race.

But again, that's just one way to look at it.

Edit: ninja'd

Here are some pictures from the action in Division 7.

Suzuka Circuit_1.jpg

@Pifachu running away in race 1

Suzuka Circuit_2.jpg
Suzuka Circuit_3.jpg

Chaos at the start of race 2
Suzuka Circuit_4.jpg

@FBR_Steve leading race 2
Suzuka Circuit_5.jpg

@KTR5 and @BayouSimDrifter (blueninjacivic) battling at the end of race 2
Suzuka Circuit_6.jpg

@Jakedog23 getting some air in the GT-R
Deep Forest Raceway_6.jpg
Deep Forest Raceway_7.jpg

@Sharkb8ii and @BayouSimDrifter (blueninjacivic)
Deep Forest Raceway_8.jpg

Deep Forest Raceway_9.jpg

Start of race 5 of the night
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_14.jpg

Turn 2 with @KTR5 leading
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_15.jpg

Final race of the night with @Pifachu leading
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_16.jpg

Tight battle for 3rd through 10th
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_17.jpg

@Sharkb8ii and @KTR5 heading towards the Clearways.
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_18.jpg

Here are some pictures from the action in Division 7.

View attachment 99801

@Pifachu running away in race 1

View attachment 99802 View attachment 99803

Chaos at the start of race 2
View attachment 99804

@FBR_Steve leading race 2
View attachment 99805

@KTR5 and @BayouSimDrifter (blueninjacivic) battling at the end of race 2
View attachment 99806

@Jakedog23 getting some air in the GT-R
View attachment 99807 View attachment 99808

@Sharkb8ii and @BayouSimDrifter (blueninjacivic)
View attachment 99809
View attachment 99810

Start of race 5 of the night
View attachment 99811

Turn 2 with @KTR5 leading
View attachment 99812

Final race of the night with @Pifachu leading
View attachment 99813

Tight battle for 3rd through 10th
View attachment 99814

@Sharkb8ii and @KTR5 heading towards the Clearways.
View attachment 99815
Thanks for the pics and the commentary! Be sure to collect $hells for your efforts! :)

Last edited:
Back