◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
Welp, it's the first time replays have not worked for me. I was hoping to record the first race on Suzuka to show the guys in D4 that there were squirrels on the track that caused me to lose the first race. :lol:

If it does have something to do with the system memory, that would be the ram of the PS3 (which is usually a limiter for most things with the PS3). Based on my and many others experiences, I don't think available hard drive space has anything to do with the replay problem. I have a 500GB HDD and currently have a little over 300GB of free space. I have seen others post who claim to have upgraded to a full TB and have over 500GB free. If it is a memory issue, and it could very well be, it is almost certainly tied to the ram of the PS3.

Edit: I wonder if signing out of PSN and then loading the game and trying to view replays could help with the situation. If RAM is truly an issue, I don't know if the PS3 uses any RAM just being signed into PSN but if it does and available RAM is part of the problem, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Agree that it would be ram. What could effect available ram I dunno. Could be anything from installed apps to how many cars are in your garage.

RAM would only be used if something on the PS3 is actually doing something at the moment. Nothing is stored in the RAM, it's just the processing power that allows the system to perform functions. (I know that's a simplified explaination of RAM but it's good enough in this case for now). I'm wondering if Sony's ticker that runs in the XMB when you're signed in would be using any RAM. Technically, if you were signed out of PSN and didn't have anything running in the background, GT6 would be the only program using any RAM at that time. I'm going to give it a shot tonight and see if it seems to help any.

If it is RAM then wouldn't replays work best when you first fire up the PS3, GT6, then a replay?

That doesn't help me, rather, it hasn't.

What about the number of replays in the XMB menu to avoid the copy/replace file issue?

If it is RAM then wouldn't replays work best when you first fire up the PS3, GT6, then a replay?

That doesn't help me, rather, it hasn't.

What about the number of replays in the XMB menu to avoid the copy/replace file issue?
Was just speculating about it being a memory (ram) issue. Like I said I've only ever had one freeze up. Could just as likely be a programming bug of some sort.
Maybe try and load gt6 on a seperate psn name with no cars/replays and import what you want to view and see if that fresh gt6 career views it more reliably.

I don't see how it can be an issue with the replay files itself. We have had the same file work and then not work and then work again. The file is obviously acceptable to be used but the tool to decode and play the replay within GT6 is not working on a consistent basis.

If all the replays either worked or didn't work all the time, meaning replay A never works, replay B works all the time, I could be convinced it was a problem with Replay A's file. That's not what's going on though, so it has to be something in the decoding, playback, or a RAM use issue.

Sorry if this is a repost, not sure if first one went through.
I read the rules and am looking to join.
Thanks,
Hampton
@rubberducky_ ,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by midnight EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

I don't see how it can be an issue with the replay files itself. We have had the same file work and then not work and then work again. The file is obviously acceptable to be used but the tool to decode and play the replay within GT6 is not working on a consistent basis.

If all the replays either worked or didn't work all the time, meaning replay A never works, replay B works all the time, I could be convinced it was a problem with Replay A's file. That's not what's going on though, so it has to be something in the decoding, playback, or a RAM use issue.

That's much how I see it. If the data can be correctly read once, there's nothing wrong with it. It feels quite a bit like a memory management bug. If you access memory that has been freed, modify memory in the wrong place, do a strcpy instead of a strncpy (why is strcpy still in libc??) and overwrite/overread a buffer, you can corrupt things in a way that doesn't necessarily crash things instantly. There's a problem, but it doesn't become critical until the corrupt data actually gets used for something, and which part is corrupted depends on the state of the memory manager when the buggy component is loaded. So, it crashes essentially randomly. I hate debugging this kind of problem.

Still, I can't fathom why PD hasn't fixed it yet. It's a glaring defect.

Having the PS3 disconnected from the internet did not help at all with playback of replays. I just tried 7 different replays and it went like this.

R1 played, R2 played, R3 lock up, R3 lock up, R3 played, R1 played, R2 lock up. Once I had one lock up and then work, I tried until I got one that had worked to lock up. So much for that theory. I guess we wait for PD to give us a fix or keep tying ideas on our own.

Having the PS3 disconnected from the internet did not help at all with playback of replays. I just tried 7 different replays and it went like this.

R1 played, R2 played, R3 lock up, R3 lock up, R3 played, R1 played, R2 lock up. Once I had one lock up and then work, I tried until I got one that had worked to lock up. So much for that theory. I guess we wait for PD to give us a fix or keep tying ideas on our own.
Have you tried using a fresh profile/save game?

Kart Practice. 1472-4711-0467-9858-7587

I have to commend @TEX36 for the way he ran this informal, Monday early evening, open practice room as a light, friendly preview and as an effective SNAIL recruiting platform. Explained a bit about Tuesday Karts vs the 'Main Event' Sunday nights, and was respectful and willing to encourage clean races across all of our grids.

Way to go, TEX-E-I-E-I-O! :lol:

Dagnabbit!

Speaking of the Allen Berg Racing Schools Challenge, the West Coast division is now eligible for the contest thanks to the efforts of @kcheeb. You will see your points in there once the spreadsheet is updated. 👍
Thanks for all that is going on behind the scenes to make this happen. One issue and it my be my stupidity but I can not currently input the results on for the 1/5 WC races in the SNAIL results sheet. Do they need to be input somewhere else or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for all that is going on behind the scenes to make this happen. One issue and it my be my stupidity but I can not currently input the results on for the 1/5 WC races in the SNAIL results sheet. Do they need to be input somewhere else or am I doing something wrong.

I assumed, my bad, you had write access to the results doc. I'll correct that shortly.

EDIT: you should be able to add the scores now.

chart_7(2).png

Wow, four record breaking weeks in a row 👍

Dec. 29th, 2013 - 65 S.N.A.I.L.s on track
Jan. 5th, 2013 - 83 S.N.A.I.L.s on track
Jan. 12th, 2013 - 88 S.N.A.I.L.s on track
Jan. 19th, 2013 - 90 S.N.A.I.L.s on track

Way to go S.N.A.I.L.s, love it when we get a bunch of us racing together :D

Huge props to:

@JLBowler for getting everyone set up and ready to race.
@ExoSphere64 for making sure we had everyone in place to keep track of our record breaking nights.
@Skills for letting everyone know when and where they should be racing.
@Oshawa-Joe for keeping the sacred Drivers List up to date.
@Dragonwhisky for prepping the Directors Score Sheets.

And every single member of Team S.N.A.I.L. this does not happen without all of us rowing in the same direction!

Thank You

Effin work. Wish I were rich so I could play GT6 every day :cool:; but...💡 I guess I'd probably just build another race car or kart and you would never hear from me again.

Maybe it's time to get something else started on a night I'm home. Maybe a Spec X2014 Junior event?

I've read, and when kcheeb tried it, we couldn't get the room set to allow that car on the track in an online lobby.

I've tried the replay thing online and offline with PSN, tried with BGM disabled, set to GT6 music, and with user defined BGM music. Tried all of the above in a fresh PS3 GT6 profile that had one race done and one replay saved (which I had to do to get to the load file option in the replay gallery). I've had 6 replays, I recorded live, work 3 straight tries, then 3 of those same 6 not work on subsequent attempts at playback. Of those 6 replays that worked on my machine, and uploaded to Gdrive for steward review, I think only 2 worked for one person and no one else.

I consider myself a fairly critical thinker and can usually find at least one thing that is common when multiple somethings are broken. Usually, even if I can't pinpoint the root cause, I can figure out a workaround. The replay thing has me stumped.

Last edited:
Still haven't heard from you Zer05ive regarding this. Anybody heard from zero this week?
Sorry about that! Please disregard the "idea" that I had. Just haven't had time to formulate it, and as cheeb said, I'm out of town right now. Bottom line, you'll have that Wireless Buttkicker Kit before you can say, "shake my couch!" :)

Last edited:
Effin work. Wish I were rich so I could play GT6 every day :cool:; but...💡 I guess I'd probably just build another race car or kart and you would never hear from me again.

Maybe it's time to get something else started on a night I'm home. Maybe a Spec X2014 Junior event?

I have 9 drivers ready to go in a Lg I statred just X14 Spec just waiting on PD to fix the issue with X14

Sorry about that! Please disregard the "idea" that I had. Just haven't had time to formulate it, and as cheeb said, I'm out of town right now. Bottom line, you'll have that Wireless Buttkicker Kit before you can say, "shake my couch!" :)

Premature totpp?

View attachment 102925
Wow, four record breaking weeks in a row 👍

Dec. 29th, 2013 - 65 S.N.A.I.L.s on track
Jan. 5th, 2013 - 83 S.N.A.I.L.s on track
Jan. 12th, 2013 - 88 S.N.A.I.L.s on track
Jan. 19th, 2013 - 90 S.N.A.I.L.s on track

Way to go S.N.A.I.L.s, love it when we get a bunch of us racing together :D

Huge props to:

@JLBowler for getting everyone set up and ready to race.
@ExoSphere64 for making sure we had everyone in place to keep track of our record breaking nights.
@Skills for letting everyone know when and where they should be racing.
@Oshawa-Joe for keeping the sacred Drivers List up to date.
@Dragonwhisky for prepping the Directors Score Sheets.

And every single member of Team S.N.A.I.L. this does not happen without all of us rowing in the same direction!

Thank You
Ditto what cheeb said! Huge thanks to everyone who contributes to our collective effort. TEAM S.N.A.I.L. FTW!! :gtpflag:

Back