◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,670 comments
I posted above. My name is IINOVAII, and was a previous member and would like to rejoin. Please send me instructions on how to do so. I hope to try and make entry into this week's races if possible. Thanks.

Points Of Interest
This week S.N.A.I.L. will be competing at Monza, Cote d' Azur (Monaco), and Brands Hatch. The only new circuit this week is Cote d' Azur. Brands Hatch is making it's third straight appearance and Monza is back for a second week but with a new car.

600_monza_f1db.jpg

Autodromo Nazionale Monza was constructed in 1922 in the area around Monza Italy and was first added to the GT series for GT5. The track has used multiple layouts over its long history including a 10km layout that used the current course along with the oval loop. The cars would run parallel to each other down the front straight, one lane on the current track and one lane on the oval loop to the inside of the current track. Track position is at a premium as the best opportunities to make passes are under heavy braking and will cost both drivers time when completing a pass. If possible, it is best to make passes coming out of the tight corners on the long straights.

Track boundaries are always an issue at Monza because the track is so narrow and the turns are so tight in the two chicanes and Ascari. When you combine this with the extra room beyond the rumble strips that is there only for the safety of F1 drivers, you have a possibility for mayhem. I have included pictures below for further explanation of the track boundaries.

This picture serves as an example for the entire track. The red/white painted area here is considered to be part of the track. The green painted area is NOT considered to be part of the track.
3yJcuJm.jpg

This photo is taken at the exit of Ascari (turn 7 in the map). In this specific place on the track, the white line constitutes the edge of the track surface.

zcP7XQn.jpg

grand_prix_monaco.jpg

Cote D’ Azur is Gran Turismo’s version of the famous Monaco Gran Prix Circuit. Formula One has been racing here since 1929. The track is a very tight city course that places a premium on qualifying and track position during the race. Opportunities to pass are at a minimum here so it’s important to be out front early and not make mistakes. You don’t have to be the fastest here, you just have to find yourself up front to have a chance to win the race.

As with most city courses, the walls make up the edge of the track at Cote d’ Azur. There is one notable exception to this rule and it is shown in the photo below. In this instance, the red/white curb is considered to be part of the track. The paved area to the right of the curb is NOT part of the track.

jX5zOM9.jpg

The following photo is thrown in because I don't feel you can have a description of Monaco without including a photo of the world famous Grand Hotel Hairpin.

XF64Hy3.jpg

Brands_Hatch_GP_Map.jpg

Brands Hatch is a circuit new to the Gran Turismo series. When constructed in the 1950’s, the track was originally paved with cinder blocks. It wasn’t long before those were paved over with a tarmac surface. Some of the cinder blocks are still visible upon the exit of turn 2 and turn 4. There is a rumble strip between the tarmac surface and the cinder blocks that designates the edge of the track. Turn one is a tricky corner as the track falls out from under you as you go through the corner. Turn two is a harpin at the top of the hill and can provide a very good pass opportunity. You then head downhill to turn 3. Watch the exit as it’s pretty easy to push wide here. Turn four is key for carrying speed down the straight. Turns 5, 6, and 7 make up a big left hand circle for the most part. Turn 8 is a left hander that leads back into the natural amphitheater that is the setting for the main grandstand and the run back up a hill to turn 9 followed by the front straight.

Photos have been added to further explain the track boundaries in certain areas of the track. This photo shows the area on the outside of a corner exit and is representative of all corner exits that have the brown area to the outside. The red/white area is considered to be part of the track. The brown area outside the red/white area is NOT part of the track.

zD50XBW.jpg

This photo shows an area on the inside of a corner and is representative of all corners that have the brown area on the inside. Once again, the red/white area is considered to be a part of the track and the brown area is NOT part of the track.

alDwlQ1.jpg

Last edited:
No tire wear / offline times are usually around a second faster depending on the track/car. I learned that the hard way my first week in snail, I only practiced offline and had to adjust all my reference points real quick come race time!
Thanks, my next session will definitely be online...but its hard to "find" the fast line without your ghost. Now that I know where to go fast and where to go slow I should be able to apply that to the lobby physics and after a few laps show improvements over the times i was posting before my offline practice session.

@Handlebar
I just passed a Miata and a S2000 on the interstate today within 5 minutes of each other.

My thoughts as I passed each:

S2000: Cool. I would definitely consider buying one if I had the money.
Miata: Meh. Would never ever want to be seen in one.

So choose your weapon wisely :)

Hello,
This is IINovaII I raced for a brief time last year, but real life got kinda of busy. I would like to rejoin the races. I'm not sure I can make every Sunday, but would like to get as many races in as possible. Please send me further instruction. Thanks.
@llNovall,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by midnight EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Miatas in general, no matter how fast or hopped up, just don't have any charisma...to me anyway.

Have you driven one on a track? I never understood what the fuss was about until I actually had the chance drive one to the limit They're a wonderful sports car, but I don't think I'd accuse them of being charismatic, just a ton of fun :)

Miatas are awesome. Although many think that they're a little feminine, who cares? I bought my car (not a Miata, but just as feminine if not more) because it's a blast to drive on street and on track, not because I care what people on the roads think of me.

Darn, I just turned the PS3 over to my son for some Friday night free time (for him). Wish I would have checked this first, Dangerzone!

I saw this for tonight as well, and I thought there was something else also...

just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be doing one more Friday IROC racing night this coming Friday, At 9:30et the car will be the boss 302 let me know if any of you need the car setup. thanks

Caterham just announced a few weeks ago that they'll be bringing the 7's over via Superformance. Though, I'd rather have a Morgan 3 Wheeler instead.

Love the look of that car, but with the roads around my place, I can't see it. The reviews of that car said it was more of a 'city driving' car and we're either freeways/congested, or poorly maintained neighborhood roads with lots of potholes - and there were many warnings about the need to swerve about avoiding said road irregularities because of the centrally located rear wheel.

But for cool factor... yeah, that's on my Ultra-Cool wall. The 4X4 Miata, that's on my "LOL - WTH" wall - and no, not interested in that one, but it is worth a chuckle. As was JoeW's response.

Have you driven one on a track? I never understood what the fuss was about until I actually had the chance drive one to the limit They're a wonderful sports car, but I don't think I'd accuse them of being charismatic, just a ton of fun :)
I never said "not capable". I have driven a SCCA spec car at Sebring and it was awesome.

I just would not own one simply because they
don't have any personality. They just don't look or say cool in any way. To me.

I once bought a mcy simply because of the performance numbers, hype and reviews. I just never liked how it looked very much. Everytime I walked out to ride it I just didn't go "wow". So I sold it a couple months later for something l actually wanted to look at and ride. Nothing wrong with the first bike, it just didnt speak to me....if you know what I mean.

Why buy an ugly sleeper when you can a have something you actually think looks good.

Last edited:
just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be doing one more Friday IROC racing night this coming Friday, At 9:30et the car will be the boss 302 let me know if any of you need the car setup. thanks
Hey mopar, I'm interested in doing this, where are you gonna host it?

I posted these pictures up back in September sometime, shortly after Owens had built it and I finally got it all painted. If you're using an office chair and it has a mounting point for arms, I'm sure if you got Owens the measurements, he could build you one, or something similar.

View attachment 105062

Here it is mounted to the chair.
View attachment 105065
That's an awesome set up for sure, but I prefer to have my shifter mounted to my desk as opposed to my chair because I use my chair for work and league stuff a hundred times more than do for racing. However, I think there's definitely a number of guys who would love to have their shifter mounted to their office chair. After all, that's what I was originally looking to do and only gave up after not being able to find an available solution that I could buy.

And while the mount that @OwensRacing built you is great, he'd have to get someone's measurements before building the same thing for someone else. However, what if he could build a shifter mount that could be mounted universally to anyone with an office chair? For example, by using the same mounting system as the ButtKicker Gamer 2. Not only could that shifter mount to any chair with a seat post, but it would allows sim racers to mount their H-gate shifters next to their leg, regardless of which way the chair turned. Might be able to sell a few units of something like that! 💡

Back