◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,697 comments
I upgraded from the DFGT to the G27 about a month ago and while the DFGT is a nice wheel, the G27 is much better. It is much smoother, not as loud, the pedals are great and it also comes with a nice shifter. The value you are getting is amazing.

If you can afford a G27 then I'd say go for it. You will never need another wheel again. If not, the DFGT should be fine.
Since I am just 14 almost 15 I just need a entry wheel like the DFGT and upgrade later. Thank you guys for all the input.

While I understand you might be limited by your age a tad, if you can manage to scratch together that other $100.00 for the 27, I would recommend you do so. Especially if you aim to prepare for the pinnacle of Gran Turismo gaming. I know of at least one US Finalist who went to New York last year, and, all unknown to him, they were going to drive a real car with a standard H-shift and clutch. He was woefully unprepared for that and pretty much fell from the competition right there. His in game weapon of choice was the DFGT and I can personally attest that he was blazingly fast with it. However, the DFGT will not allow you to learn the mechanics of clutch and H-pattern shifting, while the G27 will. Seriously, save up, mow lawns, do the dishes for your family, scrub the bathroom, whatever. Get that cash for the 27.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but until PD gets their act together with the online portion of GT6, I have no other option but to do this.

* All S.N.A.I.L. [Enduro] Racing races have been postponed until further notice*

D
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but until PD gets their act together with the online portion of GT6, I have no other option but to do this.

* All S.N.A.I.L. [Enduro] Racing races have been postponed until further notice*
oes this include the 2.4 hours of Daytona.

I ran 8 races earlier today, we had no problems. Somehow.

Have they possibly tweaked things?

For anyone interested, I may be able to procure a like new g27 (has like 10 hours on it, friend to it for Christmas and its been sitting in a corner for like a year.

If you're interested pm me and we can discuss things

I ran 8 races earlier today, we had no problems. Somehow.

Have they possibly tweaked things?

As Bowler mentioned there is the pit stop bug, along with people having the PS3's freeze in the middle of a race(myself included), the cars not handling correctly(I believe that's linked to the pit stop bug). I hate to do this, but I'd rather postpone everything as opposed to having to constantly deal with these problems. I hope that everything will get fixed soon, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

While I understand you might be limited by your age a tad, if you can manage to scratch together that other $100.00 for the 27, I would recommend you do so. Especially if you aim to prepare for the pinnacle of Gran Turismo gaming. I know of at least one US Finalist who went to New York last year, and, all unknown to him, they were going to drive a real car with a standard H-shift and clutch. He was woefully unprepared for that and pretty much fell from the competition right there. His in game weapon of choice was the DFGT and I can personally attest that he was blazingly fast with it. However, the DFGT will not allow you to learn the mechanics of clutch and H-pattern shifting, while the G27 will. Seriously, save up, mow lawns, do the dishes for your family, scrub the bathroom, whatever. Get that cash for the 27.

I'm sorry but the mechanics of H-pattern shifting is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to driving stick. Everyone I have taught has been so fixated on moving the knob around they don't realize the hard part is learning how to use a clutch. It's the exact opposite motor memorization of the brake and gas and it takes a few weeks of driving one to get comfortable and time things right. Playing with the clutch and h shifter in the game just doesn't give you the same bucking feedback that a real clutch does. The finalist you speak of might have been better prepared if he had used a G27 but not nearly as prepared as the drivers who had real seat time in a real stick shift car.

I'm sorry but the mechanics of H-pattern shifting is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to driving stick. Everyone I have taught has been so fixated on moving the knob around they don't realize the hard part is learning how to use a clutch. It's the exact opposite motor memorization of the brake and gas and it takes a few weeks of driving one to get comfortable and time things right. Playing with the clutch and h shifter in the game just doesn't give you the same bucking feedback that a real clutch does. The finalist you speak of might have been better prepared if he had used a G27 but not nearly as prepared as the drivers who had real seat time in a real stick shift car.

I agree. I did say the mechanics of clutch and h shifting. Meaning, the sequence of events that preclude a shift. The intricacies of slipping a clutch, rev matching, and down shifting a bit early in the rev range for a little drive wheel slippage and engine braking cannot really be simulated well enough in the game, even if it is, to some small extent. That isn't even making mention of how each car, clutch, transmission, engine and differential react to certain inputs and abuse. The point I was trying to make is, a DFGT has no chance whatsoever of preparing anyone for this. The G27 has at least the capability of learning the basics of disengage clutch while letting of the gas, shift, re-engage clutch, re-apply throttle. I've had 38 years driving vehicles from small motorcycles to tractor rigs with 18 gears in a split diff to know how it's done and I realize no game can possibly simulate how it works in the real world. But if a 14 year old wants to learn how it's done, the absolute safest way for him or her to do it, before they can get their hands on a real car, is to do it in a game such as Gran Turismo with equipment that will, even if poorly, simulate it. The only injury they might sustain while doing so might be a sore foot or leg. They also can't damage the car, well, at least not that's easily and cheaply repaired.

14 year olds can't drive on the street...but they're allowed on race tracks all across America. You should see the ages of the kids getting out of the cars at the little oval track down the street from me. Granted every parent can't afford to buy their kid a Dodge Neon or Fox Body Mustang with a roll cage in it so they can bash the doors off it every weekend (I know my parents couldn't)...but those kids are the ones who stand the best shot of making it in auto racing if they supplement the real track time with what can be learned from this video game and others like it.

Actually I think I was about 14 when I first learned stick. My sister's friend asked me to move her Jeep out of the driveway...when she heard I couldn't drive stick she taught me on the dead end street. (nothing like learning stick from a hot older chick when you're 14 lol). Of course that was only an intro, I didn't really grasp the concept until I bought my first stick shift car years later and forced myself to drive it every day.

But anyway, I see your point. every little bit helps...I don't know the ages and experience of the other drivers that made it to the competition but having people show up that can't actually drive a sports car is the price you pay when your contestants have nothing but virtual track time prior to the competition.

gosh Joey....damn close call.
I have a question... if you use the behind the wheel shifters on the g27 do you still have to use the clutch?

Screw iRacing, I'm not renewing my subscription anymore... DQ'd due to random track boundries and a dumb incident system after 2.3 hours of racing in the daytona 2.4. I never rage over video games, but dang that makes me want to punch a kitten.

I hear good things about Asetto Corsa... and of course I'll still be playing GT :)

What about Project CARS when it gets released on consoles?

I know I'll be buying it.

Latest Posts

Back