◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
The only problem with the false start checks is that it increases the chances of a rear end collision when a driver falls foul of it. Even last night without it in place someone was slow to get off the line and a number of drivers, including myself, had to make a quick dive to the side to avoid hitting him. Luckily there was space to dive into.

The only problem with the false start checks is that it increases the chances of a rear end collision when a driver falls foul of it. Even last night without it in place someone was slow to get off the line and a number of drivers, including myself, had to make a quick dive to the side to avoid hitting him. Luckily there was space to dive into.

I don't understand how you get away slow from the line. Is their foot not on the gas? Or was someone trying to do a legit start like they would in RL.

The only thing that really surprised me was that there wasn't a false start check for race starts. I prefer false start checks because it adds that element of timing for race starts.
I have been saying we should use false start checks forever!👍

I'll second what @turnupdaheat said. All this feature does is ensure that at least one person times it wrong or forgets entirely and becomes a roadblock on the starting grid. Everyone behind him/her panics and chaos ensues. You want to get a jump on someone at the start? Do a better job qualifying and earn that spot. Personally, I wish more tracks had rolling starts.

I don't understand how you get away slow from the line. Is their foot not on the gas? Or was someone trying to do a legit start like they would in RL.
My guess is that it was the RX-7. That car spins the tires quite a bit and you don't need full throttle for a perfect start. It also helps a little to shift early. Someone mashing the pedal and redlining 1st gear for too long will not have a great start. The Ferrari and Lotus are fine with redline starts as long as you don't miss a shift and bounce off the rev limiter.

This seems to be a recurring theme in the divisions below two. Have we considered an alternate placement method? Seems the last months prize winners were just people who didn't belong in te division they are in. It can be discouraging knowing after two races that you don't really have a shot at a prize without someone making a ton of mistakes.

I would agree that the above driver is "out of our league". Definitely D3+, perhaps D2 (although it sounds like drivers more talented than I got added to D2 this month, so who knows).
I made this suggestion in the room last night, let's see if it holds any water: Perhaps if a person takes first place in their division 2 weeks in a row, they automatically get bumped up a division? If the competition is very close in a room, this wouldn't be all that likely to happen under normal circumstances. Even if the wins were truly based on an exception performance and not a long-term pattern, for me personally, I'm very competitive, and I would see getting bumped up as a reward. It would be motivation to perform.

Oh yeah- what about winning a prize two weeks in a row. That's what I actually meant to say- misplaced drivers are much more likely to win prizes.

I'll second what @turnupdaheat said. All this feature does is ensure that at least one person times it wrong or forgets entirely and becomes a roadblock on the starting grid. Everyone behind him/her panics and chaos ensues. You want to get a jump on someone at the start? Do a better job qualifying and earn that spot. Personally, I wish more tracks had rolling starts.

IIRC, with penalties on, the car that misses the start goes ghost. In any event, as I stated, I was just surprised.

As for panic, well....there's no place for it on track. Maybe because I've been in panic worthy situations on track in real life or maybe because I'm old and the panic takes too long to get to my brain ;)

Story time - I do motorcycle track days. My favourite panic moment was being at full lean at 120kph (+/- 70mph?) and running through the oil dropped by a three bike pile up just ahead. I was lucky that the line through that corner demands the bike be picked up a bit. A two foot sideways slide with your knee on the ground get's your attention :). My first thought was "Oil down! Put your hand up so the marshals know!". I didn't actually feel the anxiety until after I got back to the pits and heard that everyone was ok. It hit me about 5-10 minutes later that "Holy **** I just rode through oil!!"

BTW, where are the driver's standings posted? I searched but didn't find it.

@Voodoovaj

Results are usually posted within about 24 hours of racing finish, once all results and votes are input and @zer05ive isn't busy with, oh, a job, or something. :lol:

@Rolly21581 - I can't even give you a hint on which combos are likely to stay or go yet. D4 and D5 do not have any votes input yet, and together, that's enough to significantly sway the results...

@monarchydesign - I thought you were in D6 with us?

@Voodoovaj

Results are usually posted within about 24 hours of racing finish, once all results and votes are input and @zer05ive isn't busy with, oh, a job, or something. :lol:

@Rolly21581 - I can't even give you a hint on which combos are likely to stay or go yet. D4 and D5 do not have any votes input yet, and together, that's enough to significantly sway the results...

OOPs...yeah thats what i meant....maybe i should have been in D7. LOL

Mid season promotion doesn't occur if a guy drives away in all of the Race 1s. Qualifying well is some people's forte. If you start on the front of the grid it's a lot easier to stay in front. When everyone in the 2-16 positions start battling, they lose time. It might not be that the 1st place guy is faster, he's just out of all the BS going on behind him.

Case in point, last night I managed to qualify and finish dead last (or something like that) in two Race 1s. But I managed top 2 finishes on the reverse grids...not because I was faster (last night I was a good second off of the top guys almost everywhere), but because the field behind me just get tangled up and lose time while the leader pulls away. I was doing mid-high 1:14's at Monza in Race 2 but I started up front. I managed to stay well ahead of the field most of the race with terrible lap times because everyone else was busy slowing each other down.

Now, if this person manages to finish top 2 or 3 on all of the reverse grid races as well as winning the Race 1s going away...then we have an immediate candidate for mid season promotion.

I
Mid season promotion doesn't occur if a guy drives away in all of the Race 1s. Qualifying well is some people's forte. If you start on the front of the grid it's a lot easier to stay in front. When everyone in the 2-16 positions start battling, they lose time. It might not be that the 1st place guy is faster, he's just out of all the BS going on behind him.

Case in point, last night I managed to qualify and finish dead last (or something like that) in two Race 1s. But I managed top 2 finishes on the reverse grids...not because I was faster (last night I was a good second off of the top guys almost everywhere), but because the field behind me just get tangled up and lose time while the leader pulls away. I was doing mid-high 1:14's at Monza in Race 2 but I started up front. I managed to stay well ahead of the field most of the race with terrible lap times because everyone else was busy slowing each other down.

Now, if this person manages to finish top 2 or 3 on all of the reverse grid races as well as winning the Race 1s going away...then we have an immediate candidate for mid season promotion.

Even if qualifying is someone's forte, there is no reason we should be seeing second+ gaps in qualifying running spec cars. Case in point, in d3 last night, I dropped by personal best lap time in Monaco. A 36.8. It was good for second. But pole was 1:35.3 which probably would have been up there for d1 pole. Shouldn't be happening.

Division 5 report:
We seemed to be hit with some bugs last night. We had some vehicles not be able to enter a tuning prohibited room, a bit of occasional lag and I got stuck on the starting line twice freezing my car.

Results and votes for D5 have been entered in the Directors' Doc.

We had almost two second gaps from first to last in Qualifying rounds last night in D2.

Many people spend a lot more time practicing ahead of the race than others...which accounts for much of that difference. But some people are just better "racers" when the time comes to go door to door with 15 other drivers.

Like I said...if someone wins the Race 1s and then turns around and finishes top 2 or 3 in all the reverse grids...then you know you have a problem.

We had almost two second gaps from first to last in Qualifying rounds last night in D2.

Many people spend a lot more time practicing ahead of the race than others...which accounts for much of that difference. But some people are just better "racers" when the time comes to go door to door with 15 other drivers.

Like I said...if someone wins the Race 1s and then turns around and finishes top 2 or 3 in all the reverse grids...then you know you have a problem.

First to last I can understand. But first to second?

Also this is supposed to be about competative racing. If you think it is ok that the same driver wins all 3 sprint races every week, and don't think he is out of place, then we have a totally different definition of the word close.

@Voodoovaj

@Schmiggz - Didn't you say you were gonna put in the votes last night for D4? I've got 'em written down at home, but I won't be able to get to 'em til about 7pm.

First to last I can understand. But first to second?

Also this is supposed to be about competative racing. If you think it is ok that the same driver wins all 3 sprint races every week, and don't think he is out of place, then we have a totally different definition of the word close.

You haven't indicated how he finished the reverse grid races. I'm not disagreeing with you...just saying what it usually takes for midseason promotion.

D7 Pictures

Monza

First Race

@Mirado_7 knows how to work under pressure. Congrats!

@Mirado_7 under double fire

Race 2 Lap 1 before Parabolica.

Maybe thats why some guys are saying Dino's act like Boats.

When 2 cars comes out from Parabolica like this the result comes on next picture...

...those who brake later take the prize.

Yes, 2 cars can be at same turn and at same time, results are usually unpredictable.

Côte d'Azur

Starting grid Race 1

Who needs space?

Not much "space" for mistakes.

Group 2 at first lap

Reverse Grid. I had some work here since I was last position.

Working on it

2 group split again

Silverstone International

Race 1 Starting grid

Drift? @BayouSimDrifter

@Piler attacking our new driver @covan2306

This is @Piler welcoming new driver @covan2306

Looks like it wont be so easy

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/116105276@N07/12438694124/]
@
BayouSimDrifter and @racingchamp30[/url]

You haven't indicated how he finished the reverse grid races. I'm not disagreeing with you...just saying what it usually takes for midseason promotion.

I'm was not in the race, but just to add data to the discussion, @chuyler1 won each of the Race 1s and was 2nd, 2nd & 3rd in the Race 2s, respectively. This is from the results docs. In addition, three different people won the Race 2s.

I agree, to a point. But when you're driving around a track like Monaco with drivers who are 1-4 seconds slower a lap than you, its gonna make it a lot easier to make mistakes.

@robertomglolz,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by midnight EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

I never would have driven this Scion until you told me to but it's pretty fun to my surprise. I'm still new to the wheel for the most part so hopefully I'm competitive with at least the slowest times. Thanks for the quick reply.

Also, I am very sad to see that the Garbage Truck RX-7 appears it will survive the weekend unharmed. What will happen is I will master it, then it will get voted off. See this week and the Dino.

I sold the Dino last night after the races. I clicked the 'sell' button hard, like I was deleting the car from existence. Hopefully that is enough to prevent it from coming back next week.

Back