◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,755 comments
For reference, I'm not the Coach he's referring to. I'm the good Coach (well, at least well behaved). I also had the second part with me this past Sunday. I couldn't make it around people at Silverstone in race 2, but there was no use running over cars to move up. Took 3rd, but that's better than being a jerk.
I will edit it ;) Most of the regulars know who I'm talking about though...

This is an idea that was bounced around to allow the combos for next Sunday to be announced on Monday.
I'm just going to post this here (it's a little better visual timeline of events than my previous post) to see if it gains any traction.

One time event - Pick combos 4, 5, 6 (3 new combos)

Season Starts

Week 1 - Sunday - Combos 1, 2, 3 run
Week 1 - Monday - Combos 4, 5, 6 are officially announced.
Week 1 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 1, 2, 3 incidents are reviewed
Week 1 - Friday - winners are announced and pick combos 7, 8, 9

Week 2 - Sunday - Combos 4, 5, 6 run
Week 2 - Monday - Combos 7, 8, 9 are officially announced.
Week 2 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 4, 5, 6 incidents are reviewed
Week 2 - Friday - winners are announced and pick combos 10, 11, 12

Week 3 - Sunday - Combos 7, 8, 9 run
Week 3 - Monday - Combos 10, 11, 12 are officially announced.
Week 3 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 7, 8, 9 incidents are reviewed
Week 3 - Friday - winners are announced and pick combos for Season 2 Week 1 Combos 1, 2, 3

Week 4 - Sunday - Combos 10, 11, 12 run
Week 4 - Monday - Combos for Season 2 Week 1 Combos 1, 2, 3 are officially announced.
Week 4 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 10, 11, 12 incidents are reviewed
Week 4 - Thursday - winners are announced and pick combos for Season 2 Week 2 Combos 4, 5, 6
Week 4 - Thursday or Friday - Season winners are announced
Week 4 - Thursday and/or Friday - Promotion and Relegation happens

We'd need to figure out how to get another set of combos queued up. kcheeb said zer05ive is creative, and he could come up with a method or two. :)

If knowing the next Sundays combos isn't as big an issue as I perceive it to be, then no one will really be interested in this idea and it'll die here.

Personally I think it would be fantastic to know on Monday exactly what we'll be running on Sunday.

If a pass is inevitable (defending my position would be too risky for my tastes) I allow the pass. But if not, I do what I can to stay in front. In a practice room the other night at Monaco I somehow got in front of @dgaf95integra (he probably crashed, there's no other explanation). I know that he's way faster than I am, but I did everything I could legally and ethically do to keep him behind me. At the end of the race we both commented on how it was a great finish. I was so concentrated on defending my position and not making mistakes, and he was so concentrated on trying to find any legit window he could get to get in front. It was a LOT of fun.

This is an idea that was bounced around to allow the combos for next Sunday to be announced on Monday.
I'm just going to post this here (it's a little better visual timeline of events than my previous post) to see if it gains any traction.

Season Starts

Week 1 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 1, 2, 3 incidents are reviewed

Week 2 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 4, 5, 6 incidents are reviewed

Week 3 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 7, 8, 9 incidents are reviewed
Week 3 - Friday - winners are announced and pick combos for Season 2 Week 1 Combos 1, 2, 3

Week 4 - Monday - Combos for Season 2 Week 1 Combos 1, 2, 3 are officially announced.
Week 4 - Tuesday through Thursday (or earlier) - Combos 10, 11, 12 incidents are reviewed
Week 4 - Thursday - winners are announced and pick combos for Season 2 Week 2 Combos 4, 5, 6

We'd need to figure out how to get another set of combos queued up. kcheeb said zer05ive is creative, and he could come up with a method or two. :)

If knowing the next Sundays combos isn't as big an issue as I perceive it to be, then no one will really be interested in this idea and it'll die here.

Personally I think it would be fantastic to know on Monday exactly what we'll be running on Sunday.

I'm in favor of this. It allows for a full week of practicing and getting settled into the cars.

Season Starts

I'll go on the record as opposed for a couple of reasons. It doesn't do anything to make anything any easier on league admin. It forces drivers to keep track and practiced up on two different sets of combos on a two week rotation instead of focusing on one set of combos. It will widen the gap between those with seemingly unlimited practice time and those with little time during the week. This would have a huge and long lasting effect on division placement and the effort to try and keep drivers in the right division would be more of a task than it is now. The one point that this would address would be to keep people from asking if the combos are up yet. I propose that even if they knew they would be posted on Monday, it wouldn't stop those that do ask from asking on Sunday night or early in the day on Monday before they were posted because these people don't bother to read anything before asking.

In short, I don't see the limited amount of juice here being worth the squeeze.

Ok, now i believe my replays are in the D4 folder. There's several other ones from goat, handlebar and exo so I think now it's done. Please confirm.

I can see them now, but they don't appear to be zipped / compressed correctly to allow for downloading and transfer to the PS3. @kcheeb, can you take a look when you get a chance?

I'll go on the record as opposed for a couple of reasons. It doesn't do anything to make anything any easier on league admin. It forces drivers to keep track and practiced up on two different sets of combos on a two week rotation instead of focusing on one set of combos. It will widen the gap between those with seemingly unlimited practice time and those with little time during the week. This would have a huge and long lasting effect on division placement and the effort to try and keep drivers in the right division would be more of a task than it is now. The one point that this would address would be to keep people from asking if the combos are up yet. I propose that even if they knew they would be posted on Monday, it wouldn't stop those that do ask from asking on Sunday night or early in the day on Monday before they were posted because these people don't bother to read anything before asking.

In short, I don't see the limited amount of juice here being worth the squeeze.

Drivers wouldn't have to keep track of two combos. The way Merlin has it set up would make it so that combo choices can be announced the day after each league night, since the decisions have already been made, and the steward reviews would be completed the week prior. No need to announce new combos until after the curren combos run, but it allows the new combos to be practiced all week, instead of just days. The people with unlimited practice time will still have unlimited practice time, and the people who don't have time to practice until Sunday night will have more days available to run new combos.

I personally have the beginning half of the week of from work, but since the combos aren't announced until Thursday, I am not able to utilize that time with practice for anything but one combo (and even then, what we think is the surviving combo could change to do penaltys and prize winner votes changing.

Drivers wouldn't have to keep track of two combos. The way Merlin has it set up would make it so that combo choices can be announced the day after each league night, since the decisions have already been made, and the steward reviews would be completed the week prior. No need to announce new combos until after the curren combos run, but it allows the new combos to be practiced all week, instead of just days. The people with unlimited practice time will still have unlimited practice time, and the people who don't have time to practice until Sunday night will have more days available to run new combos.

I personally have the beginning half of the week of from work, but since the combos aren't announced until Thursday, I am not able to utilize that time with practice for anything but one combo (and even then, what we think is the surviving combo could change to do penaltys and prize winner votes changing.
If it is just a matter of people wanting combos to practice why not join some of the other events snail offers. The Saturday Endurance race has a line up that goes half way into March. The kart event, Nascar event, DTC, are also things to focus on.

Drivers wouldn't have to keep track of two combos. The way Merlin has it set up would make it so that combo choices can be announced the day after each league night, since the decisions have already been made, and the steward reviews would be completed the week prior. No need to announce new combos until after the curren combos run, but it allows the new combos to be practiced all week, instead of just 3 days.

Would the those without as much time to practice during the week

I can also see it cutting into participation in the other weekly events because drivers would open up practice rooms instead of attending the other events. It would also put the stewards at a practice time disadvantage to the rest of the league. The stewards have to use their free time to review the weeks incident's while the rest of the league is busy practicing for the races. At least the way it is now, nobody gets to practice the combos until the stewards are done with their work for the week. The current system of waiting for the stewards to review works just fine. We have not had an issue, aside from replays not working, getting the reviews done in time for picks to be made before official practice for the week.

In addition, the more drivers that feel they are being out practiced and don't have the time to commit to more practice might just start to pick up and leave if they don't feel they can stay competitive. That is just another byproduct of widening the gap in practice time between drivers.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I just don't see this as broken. Once again, a whole lot of change and work over the long haul for very little benefit.

@Schmiggz I hate to be that guy, but you need to upload the replays again. You can't rename the replay files before you zip them. If you do, the PS3 will not recognize them properly and treat them as a broken file.

I agree with Bowler. Props for coming up with a unique solution, but I don't really think there was too much of a problem to begin with. I've been around this league for a long time, and very few things have changed. Newcomers may think the higher ups are stubborn, but in reality, we do things this way because its proven to work.

I, for what it is worth, am against the 2-week cycle as well. It's a good attempt at addressing a problem, but for the reasons Bowler outlined, it seems more trouble than it is worth.

Perhaps a simpler solution to the excessive "where are the combos?" questions might be adding another question to the new driver quiz. "Where are the new combos posted?" Anyone that answers anything other than "on post 2" get smacked squarely in the jaw with a fresh trout.

I, for what it is worth, am against the 2-week cycle as well. It's a good attempt at addressing a problem, but for the reasons Bowler outlined, it seems more trouble than it is worth.

Perhaps a simpler solution to the excessive "where are the combos?" questions might be adding another question to the new driver quiz. "Where are the new combos posted?" Anyone that answers anything other than "on post 2" get smacked squarely in the jaw with a fresh trout.

3 point thread penalties for asking, "what or where are the new combos." Why does it have to be a fresh trout? Wouldn't an old smelly one deliver the message effectively?

We should have info on prize winners 'shortly' - but all the other reviews will likely not be finished for a couple of days.

Just checking my notes first.

Which view are you using? Cockpit view does not allow you to see the front of your car at all. "Bumper" view is not really from the bumper. The view is located in the center of the car the same distance from the front bumper as the driver position.
I'm not the best driver around for sure but I use Cockpit view. Took me some time to learn the car dimensions (side to side and front) but worth it.
Even if I can't see it, like I can't see the car sides, I've learned how to manage the correct distance. Since I appreciate that rule:
The guy behind is totally responsible for any kind of contact, no matter were or when the driver in front decides to break.

So, for you folks that have joined in the last 3 months or so, would knowing that you could not win a prize in your first two weeks have made any difference in your decision to join?
I really appreciate the ongoing method. If you're in wrong Div, learn something from it. Nobody knows everything!
In 1 month you will be out anyway... patience is gold!
I had zero online experience until mid January 14. So far, the data analysis, how the drivers are selected to their divisions and anything else here is quite good in my humble/noobie opinion.

Congratulations to all S.N.A.I.L.
I've seeing you guys working a lot and bringing us a lot of fun in a organised and friendly way. Once again, congrats.

Last edited:
Camo Livery Baby!
12488995774_a43de59b16_h.jpg
12488996164_4af2932466_h.jpg
12488996844_126b068f19_h.jpg

Painted Marrone Apus at Willow Springs 20 mile challenge.

Back