◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,415 comments
Thanks for the link! Definitely a cool video. Of course, I'm hoping that GT7 proves to be a superior to Project Cars (at least on the PS4), but it might be impossible for PD to keep up if the hype on Project CARS is to be believed.

Of course, the first PS4 racing game to get a lot of hype was Driveclub, but I've got serious doubts about it's ability to challenge GT7. Furthermore, if you read its description in Wikipedia, it pretty much confirms that it'll be a non-factor in the next-gen consoles' battle for racing game supremacy:

It will not be classified as a racing simulator like the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series, but as a rival to Grid 2.

Seriously?? For the sake of Driveclub, I hope that statement was posted by some uninformed speculator. If the developers really do have their sights set on Grid 2 instead of GT and Forza, then it will be a monumental waste of next-gen game development.

As for reasons to buy a PS4, there really aren't too many right now IMO. I picked one up recently, but only because someone offered me deal I couldn't refuse (a PS4, a controller, two games, and the PS4 camera all for only $260). However, I haven't even set it up yet and I've had it for almost three weeks now. Of course, a lot of that is because of how busy I've been lately, but if there was a game I was dying to play I would have at least found the time to set it up.

The Project Cars video was nice - I noodled about there for only a moment and found a video review of the GranStand.

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/sim-r...d-and-racing-rig-review-by-inside-sim-racing/

@GranStand Bill - nice overall review! I thought it should have been higher. I watched a video on a competitor that had three or four times the concerns, all much more significant than the minor one these guys had on your setup, and they gave it the same score as yours. You was robbed!

What all have you added there dab? I spot wheel, paddles, and shifter knob. Anything else you tossed in? Looks like a really nice rig, but I don't know that I could do away with my side view buttons on the wheel.

You've spotted it all. I'm either going to put new buttons elsewhere to replace the originals on the wheel or drill out holes on the wheel and put the ones from the G25 wheel there. Oh, I also did this mod to give the shifter a little more positive engagement. I actually still have 8 aluminum spacers if anyone wants one.

Yes please, that looks awesome. Now I just hope they find a way for my G27 for work on the PS4.
Granted, its just a post on a forum on the internet, but this guy has some relevant info that seems to suggest that the current list of PS3 compatible wheels will be usable. But also that it appears it is up to the developer to actually develop the support for them.

Could possibly be the proud owner of a 350z tomorrow! Yay me!

I love my Zedd. 2003 Performance Daytona Blue.

DSC_2019 - LP rm'd.JPG

I don't have pictures of all my previous cars or any for that matter, I've never been big on taking pictures of anything much less my daily drivers, I'll dig up a couple of example pics of stuff I have owned.

First up, the Chevy Citation complete with V6 and lay flat rear seat. That came in handy in high school.

3474379361_e4c9321343_z.jpg

Next up was a 1980 Mustang. Not it wasn't a 5.0 and yes, it did end it's life on a trailer.

DSCF1958.jpg

Picture this one in dark green with tinted glass, 17" polished aluminum rims, and a stereo system that could rattle windows five blocks away. I had to replace the rear window with a sheet of lexan.

DODGENeon1995-medium-1100_1.jpg

That concludes the early years of my car ownership life. Maybe later, I'll add in what I bought after I turned 21.

I have been thinking about combo choices and put the following together. These are just my thoughts and are in know way official. I would love to hear what others think. Are there examples you have of good/bad combos that you have chosen? Are my guidelines full of it? Are there any you would add?

I also really think we should have new recruits wait a month before they can choose a combo. That way they can have several nights to experience a variety of combos and hopefully get a good feel for what the SNAIL community enjoys.

-Joby

Some Guidelines on Choosing Great Combo

#1. The Combo should promote close racing.

Now close racing should not be boring racing. Some time ago I choose the Honda Civic Type R’08 at Laguna Seca. While this combo provided close racing it did not provide many passing opportunities. To illustrate in one round the 1st 8 guys in D1 were only 9 seconds apart at the end of the race but no one picked up more than 2 places during the race. The combo did survive but more likely because the other combos were worse or had been around for a while.

#2. The Combo should be fun.

We all have our own definition of this but I think we know when a combo has been fun. We likely have had good close battles where we have been abel to pass people but also had to work hard to keep people from passing us. We once raced at one of the Nurb tracks in an Audi TT 3.2. It was an OK combo apart from the fact that the car had so much grip there were not great passing opportunities or chances to capitalize on other peoples small mistakes. I was able to replace the car with a lower PP car but I believe it provide a much better race. The car was the Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90. By going to a car with less power but only two wheels putting the power down the racing was transformed. Suddenly there were opportunities to pass and you had to balance the power. You had to be careful to not give the car too much gas but if things did get a bit sideways it was not hard to recover. The combo lasted two weeks and the car for a few more after that.

#3. The Combo should be unique.

Your choice of an awesome FR car with a PP of 500 may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. However if combo 1 is a FR car with a 490PP and combo 2 is and FR car with 510PP your choice is not providing anything new. Spend some time chatting with the person choosing the other combo. You can sometimes come up with a great lineup for the night if you coordinate your choices. Also choosing a car that has already been run in SNAIL when we have over 1,000 unused cars is not showing much originality. Please take a moment to use the data we have to see if your selection has been used before and ask your self is there a similar car I could choose instead? link to combo data

And here is an example of how not to pick a unique combo. So when we started to be able to choose from the OCD and the list of unused tracks was getting small I looked to combine the 2. So I choose the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 at High Speed Ring Reverse. While this was unique for sure it did not provide much fun. Between bouncing of the limiter and trying to control wheel spin at 150mph the races were a disaster. Many divisions had gaps of 10-30 seconds between positions.

#4. The combo should be rewarding.

There is a difference between rewarding and challenging. As in the example above the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 was challenging but few people found it rewarding. I remember racing the Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo at SPA. That was rewarding for me. It was a huge challenge but once you got used to the combo it was brilliant.

Good stuff, @jobyone. I especially liked the part about coordinating with the other prize winner. If nothing else, you can make sure you aren't planning to pick too similar a car or track.

I'll never forget the Speed 12 combo. I practiced a few minutes before we raced it, and never could figure out how to make it turn. I did, however, figure out that it launched fastest in 4th. I qualified something like 8th, passed literally everyone before turn 1, promptly smacked into the wall and finished dead last. It was so comical to me that it was almost worth the frustration. :lol:

Round 2 of my automobile ownership history:

This one was quite a bit of fun. Ram air, V8, with a six speed gearbox. Fun stuff.

3336630004_large.jpg

Working at a Ford dealer, I caught a little bit of grief for driving the Firebird back and forth to work and I wanted some better gas mileage so I traded the Firebird for a V6 Mustang.

3A_640.jpg

Started selling RV's and need something that could tow and haul so I added this to the Mustang.

002.jpg

We're posting Zs? Here's mine. First picture is when the front license plate bracket was upside down for some reason, it's fixed now. I'm getting dedicated track wheels/tires in the coming months.

9331344532_8b7340c0a6_c.jpg

9328545713_0b9b37def6_c.jpg

Points of Interest

I couldn't wait to stick this weeks installment at the top of a page because the thread isn't moving fast enough right now and I have a Hall of Fame dinner I have to attend tonight. This week S.N.A.I.L. will be competing at Mount Panorama (Bathurst), Fuji Speedway on the GT layout, and Silverstone on the International layout. Both Bathurst and Fuji are new to the line-up for this week while Silverstone is making it's second appearance this time around.

Mount Panorama Circuit

bathu97.jpg

Bathurst is a real world track located in Australia. The track is host to two major races in the Bathurst 1000KM and the 12 hours of Bathurst. When the track is not being used for racing, it is a system of public roads that can be driven on in both directions. The speed limit for the public road is a whopping 60 KM/hr or 37 mph and the road is reportedly well patrolled by local law enforcement. The track boundaries here are pretty straight forward. As always, rumble strips are part of the track and green painted areas are not. A few photos as examples are below.

Exit of turn one used as an example of the red/white rumble strips being part of the track. The green area to the right of the strips are NOT part of the track surface.

gWhuTgM.jpg

Taken at the chicane just after the top of the hill. This example shows the red/white rumble strips on the inside of a turn. Once again, the green painted area to the left of the strips are NOT part of the track surface.

ahSfyIH.jpg

Taken at the entrance to the last corner, the white line constitutes the edge of the track in this particular spot. You may not more than two wheels outside of this line upon entry to the corner.

UcblruQ.jpg

Fuji Speedway GT Layout

fuji-track.jpg

Fuji Speedway was originally planned to be a 2.5 mile superspeedway with the end goal to host NASCAR races. That original plan quickly ran out of money and the road course was built instead. The original layout had one of these high banked corners but it was later removed due to safety concerns. Fuji Speedway hosted it's first Formula One race in 1976. The layout of this track has evolved many times over the years and now consists of the GT and F layout. The track boundaries are actually quite easy to understand here. There is plenty of runoff area at this track but none of it is legal to race on. Examples are included below.

Turn one. The inside of the corner is clearly marked by the red/white rumble strips which are considered track at all locations on Fuji. The outside of the corner has plenty of runoff area. The red/white strips are part of the track. The green area is NOT part of the track here or anywhere else. If you find yourself in the green or further out here, you will need to return to the racing surface only when you can do so without affecting any other driver in any way. If this means you have to let the entire field by on lap 1 then so be it.

jKCn8wd.jpg

Exit of turn 3, Coca-Cola Corner. Once again the green stuff is NOT part of the track. If you're out there, you must wait until it is safe to come back on.

cyv3Cqb.jpg

Exit of the last corner leading down the front straight. Once again, the green stuff is NOT part of the track. Same as before, if you end up out there, you will need to wait until it is safe to come back onto the racing surface.

XOETR6t.jpg

Silverstone International

Exp_map-southern.gif

Silverstone was opened in 1943 as an airfield. When the war ended in 1945, there was not another racing circuit in the area and the decision was made to lease the airfield and convert it to Silverstone raceway. The original layout utilized two runways that faced each other so canvas was erected between the two runways and crowds were not allowed in the area for fear of damaging growing crops. In 1949 the layout was adjusted to a more permanent version.

The track made it's first appearance in the GT series with the 2013 GT Academy time trial. The track was then included in GT6 with all three versions available.

With the multiple layouts of the track, there are some questionable areas when it comes to track boundaries. These areas along with basic examples are included in the photos below.

This photo shows the inside of turn one or "Abbey" on the map. The red/white rumble strips are considered to be part of the track. The green painted area and the two red squares are NOT part of the track here or on any other part of the track.

AuJmssW.jpg

This photo is taken at the exit of "Abbey" on the outside of the track. In this case the white line represents the edge of the track until you reach the red/white rumble strips which are part of the track. As always, cones and pylons are not to be contacted at any time.

yXb65rG.jpg

This photo is taken at the apex of the "Village Corner." There's nothing out of the ordinary here but the red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The red painted area is NOT part of the track in this, or any other spot on the track.

VysFmvO.jpg

This photo is taken at the exit of the "Village Corner" just before the "Link." This shows a red/white rumble strip which is part of the track and the green painted area that is NOT part of the track here or anywhere else.

2mmvHrB.jpg

This last photo is taken at the exit of the "Link" and may be the most ambiguous area of the track when it comes to boundaries. This is the spot that the other layout of the track would meet with this layout so there is open pavement and curbs and lines that don't apply to this layout. As always, cones are NOT to be contacted at any time. In this area of the track, the white line will serve as the track boundary. The red/white rumble strips used for the corner on the other layout are NOT part of this track.

BfvfOAS.jpg

Last edited:
Back