◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,697 comments
You know what?
I don't like Camaros and I really dislike Willow Springs, and my list is huge. But I'm doing my best (60th in a 90+ field) in TimeTrials on WRS.

Indeed, the Alpine at Bathurst isn't my dream of racing or driving, but IMO, we should drive what is presented to us.
I see it as challenge, trying mastering something I hate. It's easy to race with my GT3 Mercedes or R8 LMS, I love'm both. GT300 cars are even easier.
Well, even tough disliking both, I've managed lapping 2.42.xxx on regular bases at MP. I was out there practicing instead complaining.

You're guys are drivers, drive what is presented to you, that's the challenge!
Now you' all can curse me! ;)

In D4 the second race at Bathurst was 3-wide going into the last corner. Quite a battle! Of course I was handicapped by racing with no sound. GT6 decided on the last lap of race 1 to just cut out. Between races I tried power cycling my stereo receiver and even turning the TV sound on but clearly the game wasn't outputting anything. Anyway, since I won the first race by a large margin and didn't want to screw up the starting grid, we decided it would be fun to see how I would do without the sound. I couldn't hear the tires so I had to dial things back quite a bit.

I'm really not sure what happened last night. Like Nic, I finished almost dead last every race running times a good two seconds off everyone and my prelim practice times. Very strange.

By far my favorite combo is the RX7. I can run 1:01s in practice, but last night I couldn't manage better than 1:02.9. Very disappointed in whatever caused this issue for me last night.

You know what?
I don't like Camaros and I really dislike Willow Springs, and my list is huge. But I'm doing my best (60th in a 90+ field) in TimeTrials on WRS.

Indeed, the Alpine at Bathurst isn't my dream of racing or driving, but IMO, we should drive what is presented to us.
I see it as challenge, trying mastering something I hate. It's easy to race with my GT3 Mercedes or R8 LMS, I love'm both. GT300 cars are even easier.
Well, even tough disliking both, I've managed lapping 2.42.xxx on regular bases at MP. I was out there practicing instead complaining.

You're guys are drivers, drive what is presented to you, that's the challenge!
Now you' all can curse me! ;)

I practice and try to get better, no matter the car. There are just some cars that no matter how much you practice, just don't agree with your driving style. I ran over 300 laps at Monza in the Dino, and never got comfortable or, more importantly, fast. There is nothing wrong with the car, I just hated it. Unfortunately for me, the Alpine is basically the same thing. I drove over 100 laps in that car and could never crack into the 1:44's. In my 6 weeks of SNAIL, those are the only combinations I have had considerable trouble with.

Oil change maybe?

I ran some practice before racing last night, felt I had a decent handle on all 3 cars. Got done with practice, did my usual routine of rebuilding motor and refreshing the chassis (why? because I can), clearing the cache and rebooting my entire network. During the racing last night I was a rolling disaster, more so than usual anyway. Doubt it was an oil change issue. Pretty sure it was network related. Doesn't really matter in any case. I was outclassed by everyone in the division.

I really think a little practice in single-player time trail mode helps a ton. Watching your ghost pull away from you shows you when you are slow through a corner and when you are fast. If you have 2 hours to practice, 30 minutes chasing your ghost helps. However you can't get too comfortable in time trial mode because the handling is very different. You'll have to translate what you learned over to a lobby with tire wear on.

Another tip: Don't get too comfortable with warm tires. I hit some great laps at Bathurst practicing. I was somewhere up near 10-15 laps on the tires. Swap to the tires you'll be using at the start of the race and it will be a reality check. I suggest only running the 4 laps (tops 5 or 6) you will run during the race when you practice. Then hit the pits for new tires. It will help you better prepare for the first few turns of the race. That pit exit lap is important too. Don't just throw it away by crashing in the first turn. Use it to find a slower, safer route around the track that you might have to use when you are blocked by other drivers.

Last edited:
I ran some practice before racing last night, felt I had a decent handle on all 3 cars. Got done with practice, did my usual routine of rebuilding motor and refreshing the chassis (why? because I can), clearing the cache and rebooting my entire network. During the racing last night I was a rolling disaster, more so than usual anyway. Doubt it was an oil change issue. Pretty sure it was network related. Doesn't really matter in any case. I was outclassed by everyone in the division.
I've had similar issues when the frame rate drops...but you would have known that was the issue. Maybe your gas pedal wasn't fully engaging or something? Did you watch the replay?

I really think a little practice in single-player time trail mode helps a ton. Watching your ghost pull away from you shows you when you are slow through a corner and when you are fast. If you have 2 hours to practice, 30 minutes chasing your ghost helps. However you can't get too comfortable in time trial mode because the handling is very different. You'll have to translate what you learned over to a lobby with tire wear on.

Another tip: Don't get too comfortable with warm tires. I hit some great laps at Bathurst practicing. I was somewhere up near 10-15 laps on the tires. Swap to the tires you'll be using at the start of the race and it will be a reality check. I suggest only running the 4 laps (tops 5 or 6) you will run during the race when you practice. Then hit the pits for new tires. It will help you better prepare for the first few turns of the race. That pit exit lap is important too. Don't just throw it away by crashing in the first turn. Use it to find a slower, safer route around the track that you might have to use when you are blocked by other drivers.

For the new tires, make sure you exit track and reenter, second stint and beyond tires still provide noticeably slower lap times.

What is this "two hours to practice" you speak of. I'd be lucky if I had two hours to practice in the last month combined.

I'm really not sure what happened last night. Like Nic, I finished almost dead last every race running times a good two seconds off everyone and my prelim practice times. Very strange.

By far my favorite combo is the RX7. I can run 1:01s in practice, but last night I couldn't manage better than 1:02.9. Very disappointed in whatever caused this issue for me last night.
Could it have been the time of day on the track effecting grip levels? We ran one race at MP with time progression on by mistake. We lost all the shadows and I imagine some grip. Of course I had no consistency there so my times would not be a good judge.

Well guys, I finally managed to make it through a league night without disconnecting! Either my university's IT department finally pulled their heads out of their hindquarters, or my screwy internet service somehow canceled out the screwyness of the network as a whole. More importantly, I managed to keep all my cars facing the proper direction the whole night, even when my wheel came loose from my desk somehow!

For the new tires, make sure you exit track and reenter, second stint and beyond tires still provide noticeably slower lap times.
Ahh yes, forgot to mention that. Exit the track and re-enter. Hitting the pits for new tires is still broken AFAIK.

We lost all the shadows and I imagine some grip.
This definitely threw me off for qualifying. I didn't realize I was using shadows for a few brake points and messed up my qualifying when the track changed and it was overcast.

I managed to keep all my cars facing the proper direction the whole night, even when my wheel came loose from my desk somehow!
Been there, done that. Now I always check my clamps...like real drivers checking their seatbelt tension!

Could it have been the time of day on the track effecting grip levels? We ran one race at MP with time progression on by mistake. We lost all the shadows and I imagine some grip. Of course I had no consistency there so my times would not be a good judge.
That wasn't it...I was off from just about everyone else's times. So I couldn't match my own times nor could I match others in the room. It was bizarre.

No worries, there will be a next week ;) Maybe if I do badly enough, they will drop me a couple of divisions so I can maybe be mid pack for a change.

On a related note, I swear that when the Fuji combo got announced I did practice laps in my own online room by myself. I got a 1:38.9. I specifically remember this because I kept hitting low 1:39s and wouldn't quit until I hit a 1:38. Which of course are VERY fast times. Then I switched rooms to a full practice room and could only hit 1:43-1:44, which are also congruent to what I was hitting in official practice and during races. My room settings were correct. How could being in an empty room vs. full room equal a 5 second difference in lap times? Crazy, must have been a glitch or something.

On a related note, I swear that when the Fuji combo got announced I did practice laps in my own online room by myself. I got a 1:38.9. I specifically remember this because I kept hitting low 1:39s and wouldn't quit until I hit a 1:38. Which of course are VERY fast times. Then I switched rooms to a full practice room and could only hit 1:43-1:44, which are also congruent to what I was hitting in official practice and during races. My room settings were correct. How could being in an empty room vs. full room equal a 5 second difference in lap times? Crazy, must have been a glitch or something.

The only thing I can think of that would give you, or anyone, 5 seconds and be that fast there would be Skid Recovery Force being turned on or possible racing soft tires.

I would like to join your league if space still exists. Practicing with a Snail has whetted my whistle.
@RevStar-9,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by midnight EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Yes. The other day Racefan and I ran a few laps there before I had to go and I could have sworn we were saying 1:39s would be about right. I don't think I cracked a 1:44 last night.

Every round of qualifying had me scratching my head why I was almost dead last by at least 2-3 seconds every round. Correct tires, correct PP. Oh well...it's all good. Then I think I've just lost a few steps due to lack of practice but I do just fine on Drivetrain Challenge night when I host.

Yes. The other day Racefan and I ran a few laps there before I had to go and I could have sworn we were saying 1:39s would be about right. I don't think I cracked a 1:44 last night.

Every round of qualifying had me scratching my head why I was almost dead last by at least 2-3 seconds every round. Correct tires, correct PP. Oh well...it's all good. Then I think I've just lost a few steps due to lack of practice but I do just fine on Drivetrain Challenge night when I host.
do you ever have SRF on while doing seasonals?

If I remember right we were running 44's with the ocasional 43.5. We speculated that 42's would be possible. I don't think we were that far off.

Not sure but It seemed like I was taking the first left without brakes and everyone else was braking. I loose a lot of time on the last turns though. I hope that combo sticks around as I know I have time to gain there. I really enjoyed driving the Alpine at Mt Panarama. Not the best racing but great car and track to drive it on.

That left hander I felt like I had to touch the brakes to get the turn in, it's all about exit speed for that corner, anything about 102mph when you almost hit the rumble strip on exit is decent, my best was a mid to high 105mph. As long as you can achieve a good exit, doesn't matter how you approach it.

As for the decreasing radius turns, you want to meet the apex curbs with a mid apex but at the same time a slightly early turn-in because it is off camber near all the apexes there. Carry 4th in to keep the car from twitching too much and down to third after apex for max. torque.

One thing that threw me off in the first lap of qualifying at Bathurst was that the tires were warm at the start. I actually had more grip than at any point during my practicing since the tires never really get completely warm on that combo. I was faster in the second lap when the tires had cooled back down. It makes me wonder if I could have pulled a better lap on the first one if I had any practice with warm tires.

The only thing I can think of that would give you, or anyone, 5 seconds and be that fast there would be Skid Recovery Force being turned on or possible racing soft tires.
Nope, same tires (RH), SRF OFF, tire wear on, etc. Exact same saved settings for my SNAIL practice rooms. The only difference was that I was driving alone. Like I said, it must be a glitch or something.

Yes I agree. Me and Neo were facing the same ordeal a couple days ago flatlines. I thought for sure I could easily hit a 1.38. Heck I saw a 1.38.5 easy. But the moment we switched to a different room the best I could pull was a 1.40.9 which surprised us. He figured tire wear was turned off in the last room and thts y we were capable of those times

I saw your post the other day and thought 1:40 was insane! I'm willing to bet it was SRF or tire wear. I know you are saying it isn't, but it is easy to overlook. If the settings were in fact correct, then perhaps the game loaded the incorrect settings by accident. I bet if you made either of those changes you'd start matching those times. With the number of random bugs this game has, it wouldn't surprise me if things got screwed up in the lobby.

I got thrown off by the hot tires at Bathurst also. That, combined with the missing shadows, turned my first lap into a catastrophe. On my second lap I felt like Shawn White trying to make up for his first half-pipe run. My YOLO line through the downhill lost more time that it stood to gain. It was good enough for the front row but a solid 1.5 seconds off my personal best.

Lol I hear you on tht one. After I pushed myself to the absolute limit I managed a 1.40. 285 in the lotus. A 1.39.8 in the alpine. And a 1.01.386 in the rx7 I'm surethose are pretty solid times

Latest Posts

Back